Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Daily Forecast posted:

How often/generous are the raises to your base salary? How common is it for part time reps to make that much commission? Are full-time positions pretty readily available? I can bullshit people pretty well I think, so I could sell phones. What do you mean by 'hit your targets', and what happens if you don't?

edit: What sort of commission is it? Like 1-3% or something? Not shabby on an $800 iWhatever. I really doubt that employees get free phone service but do you at least get a cool discount?

I'm in Southern California, there are not a lot of full time positions for sales reps. It mainly part time up to 30 hours a week. You do well they will make you full time. Most of my part time reps make between $1200 to $2000 in commission every month. I work at a little bit slower store. Raises are once a year. Usually between 3-5%.

Commission is pretty straight forward. For a regular account, you make 40% on the actual rate plan and 60% on features. $12.50 for every phone you sell. 10% on accessories. Prepaid you make 25% on the plan and features and $5 for every phone you sell. There are spiffs that change throughout the year on top of that. Basically sell data and phones and you will make money.

Targets wise, you have a quota of new lines, handsets, accessories, features and you have to hit them. It's not that hard and you will slowly get ramped up over a couple of months. If you don't you get written up, have a few of those in a row and they will let you go.

As for the discount, you get 75% off the plan. No discount on the phone itself, and 25% off accessories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Daily Forecast posted:

I really doubt that employees get free phone service but do you at least get a cool discount?

Can't answer the rest of your questions. But my buddy who works for T-Mobile has told me they get 75% off they phone service.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Burden posted:

Targets wise, you have a quota of new lines, handsets, accessories, features and you have to hit them. It's not that hard and you will slowly get ramped up over a couple of months. If you don't you get written up, have a few of those in a row and they will let you go.
Sounds a little scary but I'm sure they would at least look at extenuating circumstances if there were any (like you were out sick with pneumonia for two weeks or something, or it's just a really slow month and nobody hit it) right?

Or are the targets pretty easy to hit if you at all try and it's more like "do your job or get fired"?

Burden posted:

Most of my part time reps make between $1200 to $2000 in commission every month.
Goddamn, I make less than 20k a year now working like 45-50 hours of backbreaking work a week (RESTAURANT INDUSTRY! :buddy:), so getting paid like twice as much to just hang out and sell stuff people are gonna wanna buy anyway sounds like an unbelievably good deal.

Gonna go for it, thanks for the answers.

a rowdy mullet
Feb 12, 2009
How much is Tmobile's $80 unlimited plan after taxes and fees? I'm currently on a 4gb/mo plan with verizon and paying $89 plus 3-4 $10 overage charges which is quickly becoming untenable, and even the new verizon 6gb plan will raise my bill to around $100. Time to make a change it seems.

It looks like Tmobile has great coverage here in Seattle & Bellevue since it's their hometown, but not sure how well their network is going to work for me while hiking on the coast or in the cascades. It's fairly rare I'm out there but just curious since verizon has been great in rural areas for me.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

a rowdy mullet posted:

How much is Tmobile's $80 unlimited plan after taxes and fees? I'm currently on a 4gb/mo plan with verizon and paying $89 plus 3-4 $10 overage charges for ages, and even the new verizon 6gb plan will raise my bill to around $100.

It looks like Tmobile has great coverage here in Seattle & Bellevue since it's their hometown, but not sure how well their network is going to work for me while hiking on the coast or in the cascades. It's fairly rare I'm out there but just curious since verizon has been great in rural areas for me.

This will be different everywhere. Id recommend calling a local store. they should be able to tell you.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Daily Forecast posted:

So this seems like the thread to ask. Any T-Mobile employees in this thread? I really, really wanna get out of food service and T-Mobile retail seems like a pretty okay job, based on my interactions with them in the store. They always seem pretty upbeat, but then again I guess they're paid to be.

My understanding is that they're paid a pretty basic wage, and then they get pretty decent commission, especially around when a new hot iPhone/Samsung is released? Anything horrifying I should know before I apply?

I don't work for T-Mobile, but I've done wireless for 6 years, first at Sprint Indirect (franchise company), then ATT corp and now Big Red.

One thing to keep in mind, for all 4 carriers, is there are both franchise companies that basically own the store and resell service, and then there are company owned stores. The difference is that company owned almost always tends to pay more than Indirect, but of course that means the jobs are harder to get.

Overall, doing well completely hinges on being willing to sell. It's a sales job, not a retail job. It isn't used car sales, so you don't have to like, fleece people, lie cheat and steal. But you have to be willing to up sell, have to be open to pushing what the company wants to sell, etc. device knowledge isn't a big deal, the people who do best tend to not know the most about the device. Above all, you just have to be a people person and be willing to spend all day getting people to open up on basic details of their lives.

If you do all that, you will have good sales numbers, which means your manager is nice to you and you don't get poo poo on. If you are bad at sales, most managers will eventually give you hell until it's fixed. If you are good at sales, you will also make decent money. Most sales reps at the company stores will do $45-60K their first year if they are good.

Personally, I overall love it, I'm competitive and just balance between solid sales and solid service. It can be done, just have to be open and always be up selling. Not everyone buys, but if you talk to everyone about everything while buildings rapport enough people will buy.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

a rowdy mullet posted:

I can speak a little bit to this as I do a bit of hiking and have carried both a AT&T and T-Mobile phone while doing so. In general, in the cascades it seems like coverage is equally spotty everywhere. You get good coverage near the ski areas and small towns, but once you're outside of those there's nothing. I have one mountain hike I do north of Skykomish where my AT&T phone gets EDGE. I'd love to know where it's pulling it from since there's no population within ten miles and it's not higher than the surrounding mountains. Hikes off I90 probably have better luck since there's a freeway corridor through there.

I have limited experience on the coast. I spent a day at Neah Bay last year and the only folks with Verizon got any service. GSM providers couldn't even get voice only roaming. That's a tiny town on a reservation hours away from anything though. Places like Ocean Shores/Westport definitely have T-Mobile coverage, but I can't recall if I was getting 3G/4G or EDGE. I recall even AT&T being spotty once I got south of Westport.

a rowdy mullet
Feb 12, 2009

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I can speak a little bit to this as I do a bit of hiking and have carried both a AT&T and T-Mobile phone while doing so. In general, in the cascades it seems like coverage is equally spotty everywhere. You get good coverage near the ski areas and small towns, but once you're outside of those there's nothing. I have one mountain hike I do north of Skykomish where my AT&T phone gets EDGE. I'd love to know where it's pulling it from since there's no population within ten miles and it's not higher than the surrounding mountains. Hikes off I90 probably have better luck since there's a freeway corridor through there.

I have limited experience on the coast. I spent a day at Neah Bay last year and the only folks with Verizon got any service. GSM providers couldn't even get voice only roaming. That's a tiny town on a reservation hours away from anything though. Places like Ocean Shores/Westport definitely have T-Mobile coverage, but I can't recall if I was getting 3G/4G or EDGE. I recall even AT&T being spotty once I got south of Westport.

This is good info thanks, I'm headed out to Rialto beach near Forks to camp this weekend and always get acceptable service with Verizon there. But if need be I can put up without cell service in the boonies, it's just neat when it's around :)

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Can someone check my math here? I'm hoping to switch to T-Mobile soon and picking up the 64gb iPhone 6S+ when it launches. Assuming a $100 plan...

If I buy the phone upfront ($850), after 18 months I'll have paid $2650 ($100 x 18mo)

If I go with Jump On Demand, the monthly payment for the device ($19 x 18mo), the upfront fee for 64gb ($100) and the remainder of the device's value ($292, since T-Mobile pays $12/mo on the device with JOD) coupled with the plan for 18 months ($100 x 18mo) would be $2534.

If I didn't upgrade on JOD and bought my phone out after 18 months, am I right in thinking that I would actually be saving $116?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
What phone are yo utrading in?

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
I'd be trading in a 32gb iPhone 5C

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Millions posted:

I'd be trading in a 32gb iPhone 5C

That should sell for way more than $116.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Someone had told me that US Mobile is basically a T-Mobile pre-paid service https://www.gousmobile.com Is that true? I'm looking to make the switch to something cheaper as I don't really take advantage of unlimited talk/text/web and was wondering if US Mobile is a viable option. Nevermind, looking at ting instead!

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 5, 2015

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I worked for an authorized retailer that sold T-Mobile, Verizon and Sprint or ATT for 5 years and really enjoyed it.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I have another dumb question. Obviously I'm on T-Mobile.

So I'm giving my wife my Moto G 2015 because her GS3 finally said gently caress life and died. I may have (meeting him tomorrow) scored a T-Mobile LG G4 for $400, and he's agreed to meet me at the T-Mobile store near me. Assuming the phone's all good to go and I want to buy it (obviously have the T-Mobile guy check the IMEI, etc etc), there's something they can do to 'mark' the phone as mine or tie it to my account, right? As in, make the original owner unable to immediately report it stolen?

I guess I don't expect him to do that because he seems like a decent guy but I still want my bases covered.

edit: I just decided to call and ask like a normal person and the guy told me that basically if I bought it and he decided to report it stolen there's poo poo all I could do. Realistically that probably wouldn't happen but I still don't like the idea of buying a phone that would forever be 'some other rear end in a top hat's phone', so I cancelled on him. Alas.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 6, 2015

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Daily Forecast posted:

I have another dumb question. Obviously I'm on T-Mobile.

So I'm giving my wife my Moto G 2015 because her GS3 finally said gently caress life and died. I may have (meeting him tomorrow) scored a T-Mobile LG G4 for $400, and he's agreed to meet me at the T-Mobile store near me. Assuming the phone's all good to go and I want to buy it (obviously have the T-Mobile guy check the IMEI, etc etc), there's something they can do to 'mark' the phone as mine or tie it to my account, right? As in, make the original owner unable to immediately report it stolen?

I guess I don't expect him to do that because he seems like a decent guy but I still want my bases covered.

edit: I just decided to call and ask like a normal person and the guy told me that basically if I bought it and he decided to report it stolen there's poo poo all I could do. Realistically that probably wouldn't happen but I still don't like the idea of buying a phone that would forever be 'some other rear end in a top hat's phone', so I cancelled on him. Alas.

For less than $400 you could get the Nexus 6 from Amazon and not worry about shady dudes.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

nimper posted:

For less than $400 you could get the Nexus 6 from Amazon and not worry about shady dudes.

poo poo camera, no expandable storage, no replaceable battery. Nah.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Daily Forecast posted:

Okay great!
P.S. Come to the Android thread we'd love to have you!

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Oh I've already spewed my opinions all over that thread long ago, don't worry.

Sorry, I know you were just trying to make a friendly suggestion and I responded kind of unreasonably hostilely so I apologize!

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Since when does the Nexus 6 have a poo poo camera?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Daily Forecast posted:

lol the camera is very, very good. If you value expandable storage and replaceable batteries in TYOOL 2015 then I mean aight

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
From all the reviews I've read and pictures I've seen online (supposedly taken with a Nexus 6) it does pretty good in well-lit situations but it's really, really dismal in low-light. Low-light is, like, 75% of all the pictures I ever take, so that's a no-go for me.

I'll probably just go and get an LG G4 from T-Mobile directly, it's on sale for like $480 anyway.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I've got MetroPCS, and I'm going to get a new phone when the new iPhone comes out. I like T-Mobile a lot on the surface, but I have to travel a lot for work, and I get a lot of dead zones when I'm driving the I5 corridor from Sacramento down to LA, even though the coverage maps show that that shouldn't happen. Is it something wrong with my phone (old beat-rear end iPhone 5) or is the map just lying?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Sinestro posted:

I've got MetroPCS, and I'm going to get a new phone when the new iPhone comes out. I like T-Mobile a lot on the surface, but I have to travel a lot for work, and I get a lot of dead zones when I'm driving the I5 corridor from Sacramento down to LA, even though the coverage maps show that that shouldn't happen. Is it something wrong with my phone (old beat-rear end iPhone 5) or is the map just lying?

I've been driving across the country the last week and a half. The only states I've had service in the middle of nowhere is on the I10 in New Mexico and Arizona. Everywhere else I've had to have been in a city or at least a large town.

I've had plenty of roaming here and there, or 1G on and off, but if it isn't data then what's the point. You have to really zoom in on T-Mobile's map to get a good idea of what type of coverage. Their zoomed out map is more of a yes/no, and a lot of it is roaming areas.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Sinestro posted:

The new iPhone will hopefully support band 12 which they should be deployed along the I5 corridor before the end of the year. Band 12 is lower frequency and will travel farther and cover more areas and improves coverage greatly as well as getting better signal inside buildings.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Does anyone know if the Moto X Pure supports band 12?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

LionYeti posted:

5 second google:

Moto X Pure Edition wireless bands:

UMTS GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA+ (800, 850, 900, 1700, 1900, 2100 MHz)
4G LTE (B1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 20, 25, 28, 40, 41)
CDMA (800, 850, 1900 MHz)

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

LionYeti posted:

The Pure supports Band 12 but we haven't heard anything about T-Mobile allowing the Pure to use it. It would need to pass VoLTE certification first.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

nimper posted:

The Pure supports Band 12 but we haven't heard anything about T-Mobile allowing the Pure to use it. It would need to pass VoLTE certification first.

Yeah that's what I was wondering about I knew the radio supported it but I was wondering if t mo would

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
How easy is the ETF program? I'm on Verizon Wireless and don't really want to be saddled with this 2 year plan. Is it a hassle to do? Or is it pretty painless?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Sonata Mused posted:

How easy is the ETF program? I'm on Verizon Wireless and don't really want to be saddled with this 2 year plan. Is it a hassle to do? Or is it pretty painless?

It's painless you just pay whatever's still owed on your device and you're out of any sorta "contract"

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
That works even if I'm paying off the phone on my current contract? I thought I saw that T-Mobile said I needed to trade in a phone in order to take advantage of the switch over.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

You have to trade in your 1999 POS verizon or whatever carrier flip phone.

And dont even think about buying a brand new iphone6s on contract and then having Tmobile pay off your ETF as it would be terribly dishonest.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

You have to trade in your 1999 POS verizon or whatever carrier flip phone.

And dont even think about buying a brand new iphone6s on contract and then having Tmobile pay off your ETF as it would be terribly dishonest.

Also, you get a prepaid credit card for the cost of your ETF

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is there a difference between the pre-paid and not pre-paid plans? They have them listed on different sections of the website. Do they provide the same service? They are at the same price levels and look almost identical. Is the only difference that the one you pay up front and the other is that you are billed?

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

This seems... like a solid deal?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
:catstare:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

There's gotta be some type of catch? Isn't that cheaper then just outright buying the phone?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

There's gotta be some type of catch? Isn't that cheaper then just outright buying the phone?

T-Mobile sells the 16GB iPhone 6s for $524
Apple is selling the 16GB iPhone 6s for $777

http://gizmodo.com/t-mobile-undercuts-apples-iphone-upgrade-plan-with-20-1729796591

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Crosspost from the iphone thread.

Has anyone contacted Apple to find out if TMobile prepaid plans (specifically the 100minute/5GB 4G for $35/mo) plan would work with their new iphone payment plans?