Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Asiina posted:

So I'm not feeling very well and want to spend all of tomorrow hanging out and watching movies. Give me some movie recommendations, thread.

I want something uplifting and fun. Can be sappy, but has to be good sappy. No death. I don't want to cry.

Adventure, action, comedy are all good.

Horror is okay if it doesn't have gore or too many jump scares.

I always recommend the good the bad the weird to people. It is an action western and one of the best ones made in the last 20 years. It is subtitled.

While we are on foreign language films, kung fu hustle is amazing and I love it every time I see it. Shaolin Soccer is also fun, but less amazing.

Hot fuzz is probably my favorite comedy film. Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure youve probably seen, but if you haven't seen it in a while give it another watch, it holds up pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Paranorman is an extremely good animated movie by the same studio that produced Coraline. Go watch it.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Asiina posted:

So I'm not feeling very well and want to spend all of tomorrow hanging out and watching movies. Give me some movie recommendations, thread.

I want something uplifting and fun. Can be sappy, but has to be good sappy. No death. I don't want to cry.

I'm recommending based on my very specific personal taste and trying to recommend movies that are less likely to be recommended by others

Not action, comedy or adventure but I find it weirdly uplifting anyway, 12 Angry Men is literally my favorite and has a lot of interesting argumentative stuff I think is applicable to mafia. I don't know why I find this film so soothing but I really do.

Duck Soup is my favourite Marx Brothers movie. It has a lot of different types of humour and a lot in the variety that isn't seen very much these days.

Modern films:

Rango is probably one of the better movies made, but you've likely already seen it

I uh, don't know how to describe or recommend the film Pirates of The Great Salt Lake without attaching a million buts and ifs and stuff. It's an indie film I came across and expected to be bad but then wasn't bad? Like it's super hokey and weird but has enough self awareness that it's not a good bad movie for me. I really don't know how to describe it. It looks like a film made by a group of students or something and from what I understand of the budget and filming time that's basically accurate. It really shouldn't be entertaining but I think there's something special at the heart of it. Watch this if you like a gamble.

Other than that, seconding all of Kane's reccomendations

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

CCKeane posted:

While we are on foreign language films, kung fu hustle is amazing and I love it every time I see it. Shaolin Soccer is also fun, but less amazing.

The God of Cookery's on netflix and it's my favorite Stephen Chow thing.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Power of Pecota posted:

I've been meaning to watch that! I will give it a view tomorrow.

Also Asiina, if TV shows are on the table, gravity falls is a very sweet and very funny cartoon.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Django Unchained was a good film.

Match Point is a great film, but not very uplifting.

uplifting movies are p boring so i avoid them generally

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Power of Pecota posted:

Emerging from lurkerdom to enthusiastically second this. Also Shaolin Soccer is great.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Podima posted:

Emerging from lurkerdom to enthusiastically second this. Also Shaolin Soccer is great.

God of Cookery is in fact fantastic. Most of the movie-watching I do anymore is bad-movie nights with other goons, so everything that's on my radar lately sucks in one way or another, even if it's fun.

Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdJ0y5ZyFGw

Supervan, the best/worst cash-in-on-custom-van-and-CB-culture comedy starring nobody you've heard of (and featuring a cameo from noted author Charles Bukowski at a wet-t-shirt contest) you'll ever see.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I will watch The God of Cookery and some movies that I got the other day since they were mentioned in a CineD thread I like and then I'll probably spend the rest of the day watching various cartoons.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Now I'm totally considering Supervan Mafia.

There will totally be roles for vans with wizards and barbarians painted on the side.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Asiina posted:

I will watch The God of Cookery and some movies that I got the other day since they were mentioned in a CineD thread I like and then I'll probably spend the rest of the day watching various cartoons.

Asiina snubbing Supervan :v:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Mar 27, 2020

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I keep waiting for a good Mechanical Keyboard to go on sale on Massdrop to replace my helllaaaa old keyboard but I don't know anything about mechanical keyboards so really what I'm waiting for is a pretty keyboard i guess?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I might be taking a job as a "Cluemaster."

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Asiina posted:

ParaNorman is awesome if it's still on Netflix.

I watch Little Women every time I'm sick. Maybe you should do that? Spoiler alert though, someone dies.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

EccoRaven posted:

I accidentally got a *slightly* different version than my original, it's more matte instead of glossy, and the keys are rougher to the touch.

Don't worry you'll wear down their rough exterior through your pluckiness and determination. And heck you might even learn something about yourself along the way.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Somberbrero posted:

I might be taking a job as a "Cluemaster."

What is this?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Quidnose posted:

I keep waiting for a good Mechanical Keyboard to go on sale on Massdrop to replace my helllaaaa old keyboard but I don't know anything about mechanical keyboards so really what I'm waiting for is a pretty keyboard i guess?

Mechanical keyboards are a good way of saying "I don't care about the comfort of the people around me".

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

CCKeane posted:

It's really hard after 20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeOW5y3A2Fw

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Quidnose posted:

PBR on tap is loving delightful

gross

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I am no LA beast, sir.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
You never will be with that attitude

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Happy Birthday Asii! :toot:

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Rarity posted:

came here to say this :D

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Happy birfday asiina.

Sorry I didn't play lfd2 with you last night.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Asiina for your birthday I hope you defeat Ernie in hand to hand combat.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

CCKeane posted:

Asiina for your birthday I hope you defeat Ernie in hand to hand combat.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

CCKeane posted:

Mechanical keyboards are a good way of saying "I don't care about the comfort of the people around me".

I live alone :dance:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Happy Birthday Asiina!

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Quidnose posted:

I live alone :dance:

AND YOU ALWAYS WILL IF YOU GET A MECHANICAL KEYBOARD.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

HB asiina

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Happy burfday assssssssssssssina

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Congratulations on the anniversary of your victory crawl from the womb, Asiina.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Tick tock, Asiina. One step closer to the grave!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

yeah happy b-day asiina! At least I think they celebrate birthdays in canada, I do not wish to be presumptuous.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Hey! My game needs 6 more players! Woohoo!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3739747

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Thanks everyone!

It's been a good day of some light cleaning and watching movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
How dirty do your lights get that you need to clean them?