Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Snak posted:

It actually makes a lot of sense that if DD is going up against Punisher that DD will need more gadgets to compete with a conventional arsenal. Especially if Frank ends up with a gun that shoots swords.

I really liked that Punisher run.

and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Snak posted:

It actually makes a lot of sense that if DD is going up against Punisher that DD will need more gadgets to compete with a conventional arsenal. Especially if Frank ends up with a gun that shoots swords.

Personally I'm hoping we get the version of the Punisher that is a mystical vengeance dealer who was resurrected by angels and can summon glowing weapons.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

Personally I'm hoping we get the version of the Punisher that is a mystical vengeance dealer who was resurrected by angels and can summon glowing weapons.

It would be a decent segue into the premise of Iron Fist...

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Alfre Woodard has been cast in Luke Cage. According to Deadline she'll be playing Minetta, "a powerful woman in local politics who will have an impact on Luke Cage’s life."

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Red posted:

Look: We're trying to move past the 90s. It was bad, and full of ridiculously oversized guns and unnecessary clothing accessories, like fingerless gloves and pouches.

Pros: Sandman

Cons: Rob Liefield

Hmm.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I will defend the fingerless glove aesthetic with my dying breath.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Rob Liefield I give the absolute credit of being 100% self-aware of his Rob Liefieldness, which is a lot more than you can say about some people in comics.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Boogaleeboo posted:

Rob Liefield I give the absolute credit of being 100% self-aware of his Rob Liefieldness, which is a lot more than you can say about some people in comics.

Rob Liefield was actually pretty good until the 2000s. It wasn't until the Heroes Reborn era that he became the comic book world's Picasso.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Irish Joe posted:

Rob Liefield was actually pretty good until the 2000s. It wasn't until the Heroes Reborn era that he became the comic book world's Picasso.

I got into comics later than my friends, and they were all huge X-Men fans. I wanted to be different so I got into Punisher and New Mutants. As atrocious as the art in his New Mutants and X-Force was. I loved every issue and enjoyed the concept. Liked that they were more "gritty" at the time.

Plus, you have Liefeld to thank for Deadpool.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Irish Joe posted:

Rob Liefield was actually pretty good until the 2000s.

This post could use some work.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Irish Joe posted:

So you saying that he was good until 2000 except for the heroes reborn era that happened in 95

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

So you saying that he was good until 2000 except for the heroes reborn era that happened in 95

Yeah, I kinda forgot how quickly the Image guys went back to Marvel after the big split. Liefield's original run at Marvel and his first two years at Image were good. Then he got rich and lazy, and has been phoning it in ever since.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Medullah posted:

Not a plus.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Medullah posted:

I thought that was Wolfman and Perez?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought that was Wolfman and Perez?

Actually, Bob Kane created Deadshot in 1950.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
Anyone else excited for the Iron Fist series? Especially if they base it on "The Last Iron Fist Story"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

Anyone else excited for the Iron Fist series? Especially if they base it on "The Last Iron Fist Story"

I am excited as gently caress for it. I didn't know who Iron Fist was when it was announced, but I found out and it sounded awesome so I bought a bunch of comics. If they put the same craftsmanship into the martial arts as they did in DD, it's going to be real sweet.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, for me, this is all leading up to Iron Fist.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I am excited for Iron Fist to succeed so that the fat cats at Marvel give the okay for the sure to be wildly popular spinoff, Fat Cobra

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Quite a few bits of casting for Luke Cage today:

Claire Temple Returns and Shades
Misty Knight
Cottonmouth

Teek fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 3, 2015

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Jon Bernthal tweeted a spoilery image a short while ago. Link to the tweet to spare the thread: https://mobile.twitter.com/jonnybernthal/status/639466185952751616

I'm excited!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

HIJK posted:

Jon Bernthal tweeted a spoilery image a short while ago. Link to the tweet to spare the thread: https://mobile.twitter.com/jonnybernthal/status/639466185952751616

I'm excited!
Silent Night, Daredevil Night?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Alfre Woodard as Black Mariah? You've got to be making GBS threads me, I would have thought Marvel would prefer to leave that character way in the past.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I have to admit, I'm a little worried about the TV properties now.

Not sure if you guys heard, but the Marvel Creative Group or whatever is no longer around, and long-time Marvel penny pincher that I've heard about before was basically put into a "Him or me" with Kevin Fiege, and Kevin Fiege won out.

The reason I'm worried isn't for the movie properties, but rather, the TV properties which are now under control of the guy who's basically been kicked out of the MCU.

This sounds.. messy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They've been under his control all along.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

I have to admit, I'm a little worried about the TV properties now.

Not sure if you guys heard, but the Marvel Creative Group or whatever is no longer around, and long-time Marvel penny pincher that I've heard about before was basically put into a "Him or me" with Kevin Fiege, and Kevin Fiege won out.

The reason I'm worried isn't for the movie properties, but rather, the TV properties which are now under control of the guy who's basically been kicked out of the MCU.

This sounds.. messy.

Can you or someone else explain this in more detail please? It doesn't make sense to me that Marvel/Disney would leave MCU Netflix in the hands of an excommunicated employee.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ike Perlmutter is the CEO of Marvel and he has a reputation for being cheap as gently caress and an inveterate micromanager. Kevin Feige, who heads Marvel's movie division, reported to him, as does Axel Alonso (comics) and Jeph Loeb (TV). Feige has made Disney a lot of money and he was sick of Perlmutter's meddling and leveraged his success to change his bosses. Loeb has always reported to Perlmutter.

Article

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Ike Perlmutter is the CEO of Marvel and he has a reputation for being cheap as gently caress and an inveterate micromanager. Kevin Feige, who heads Marvel's movie division, reported to him, as does Axel Alonso (comics) and Jeph Loeb (TV). Feige has made Disney a lot of money and he was sick of Perlmutter's meddling and leveraged his success to change his bosses. Loeb has always reported to Perlmutter.

Article

Also this:

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/09/02/the-marvel-creative-committee-is-over

HIJK posted:

Can you or someone else explain this in more detail please? It doesn't make sense to me that Marvel/Disney would leave MCU Netflix in the hands of an excommunicated employee.

All the articles I've seen suggest that Pearlmutter still is in charge of Marvel's TV though as mentioned above, Feige now reports directly to Disney.

On the upside, this is probably a good thing for the movies; the Marvel Creative Committee was blamed for almost the entire reason the movies all followed the same formula, and were the guys who drove off Edgar Wright (and probably Joss Whedon, too). Then again, Marvel movies have also had a pretty solid level of quality, so I can't help be a little concerned.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 4, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Long story short: nothing is changing for Marvel's TV division.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Long story short: nothing is changing for Marvel's TV division.

That's true, but the big concern is things are changing, big time, for their movie division.

I can't help but think that might cause something of a rift. I hope not.

ED: That said having heard the story behind Pearlmutter before this announcement I think it can only be a very good thing for the films to have him gone. Also this:

quote:

Ike are out of the way (trivia: I understand the reason there are no Black Widow toys is specifically because Ike, with a background in toys, believes girl toys do not sell and thus vetoed them again and again. One guy was the roadblock

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 4, 2015

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
"Not only has there been a shake-up, I believe that the Creative Committee is actually finished altogether, although some version of it may continue to live on at Marvel TV, which remains under Ike's control. "

"On paper that sounds like a great line-up of talent, but it seems as if in practice it was often a source of frustration. Over the years I've heard many stories of the Creative Committee giving notes that are pedestrian, motivated by 'save the cat' story logic and sometimes a drag on creativity. One Marvel creative talked to me about battles with the Creative Committee where they focused on details of nit-picky science that ignored the general tone of the script itself. The notes that drove Edgar Wright off Ant-Man came from the Creative Committee. What's more, the Creative Committee was often very tardy with their notes, making movie development a much slower process. All of the Committee members have other, very important jobs, so you understand why that would be the case, but it was a pain for filmmakers. And that's before taking into account the political divisions within Marvel that also created friction with the Creative Committee."

"Any drag or difficulty caused by the Creative Committee is over, and any skinflint choices and bizarre decisions made by Ike are out of the way (trivia: I understand the reason there are no Black Widow toys is specifically because Ike, with a background in toys, believes girl toys do not sell and thus vetoed them again and again. One guy was the roadblock.)"

So the pointy haired boss from Dilbert just got served, his influence over the Netflix show isn't quite known yet (though likely little will change - hang in there Charlie!), and the movies are under the leadership of a dude who knows how to make money. Cool!

:lol: forever at Bob Iger having to get involved though, holy poo poo. Is this what happens when white men get money and power?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Everyone should read Marvel Comics: The Untold Story by Sean Howe. It's really interesting and informative and paints Perlmutter as a really miserly figure.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The Marvel shakeup reminds of this little gem from the early 2000s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpac3C3P76Q

Dumbo 2 was cancelled shortly thereafter and none of these people were allowed to make another movie ever again.

Which just goes to show that sometimes the system works.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

That sounds like awesome news for the MCU. I'm dubious that MCU TV will see revenge sabotage or anything?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nobody involved in the TV stuff did anything.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmmm wait a sec, I'm hearing that they are adding an animated talking dogside kick named Devildawg to season 2.

"The Man Without Fear and the Pooch Without Peer" is the working tagline.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zoux posted:

Hmmm wait a sec, I'm hearing that they are adding an animated talking dogside kick named Devildawg to season 2.

"The Man Without Fear and the Pooch Without Peer" is the working tagline.

:stonk: just saw this

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Can't wait for the punisher to kill all of the avengers in season 2 of daredevil

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ignite Memories posted:

Can't wait for the punisher to kill all of the avengers in season 2 of daredevil

Punisher's already had two attempts at killing the MCU and failed both times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Jedit posted:

Punisher's already had two attempts at killing the MCU and failed both times.

I liked the first half of War Zone. The costume and actor were loving ace too.