Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Yeah, the books are great. I just like how mysterious the arcologies are and how you have to piece together an interpretation of what they're about from the names of the castes and what kind of items you start off with.

e: but maybe that's dumb.

MrWillsauce fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

No, that part is definitely cool, but imagine how cool big arcology dungeons would be. I want to fight a fuming god-child.

the glow
May 31, 2009

bisonbison posted:

Get lost in the jungle on the way to golgatha. Pygmies are moving with their idol and fighting with the goatmen. Diablo 2 comes rushing back to me as I repeatedly almost die. Are the wilderness skills worth it?

I never bothered with them personally because I glanced at them once and dismissed them as just SP sinks that stopped you getting lost, and I've never found getting lost to be more than a mild inconvenience. That said, looking over them again now I see that each one "doubles the chance of interesting encounters" - is that new? I don't remember that from earlier builds. Does that mean you're more likely to generate merchants, special parties etc. while wandering around? It seems like in that case it might actually be worth grabbing these skills early considering they're relatively cheap?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
It has an enhanced chance of making ruins and goatman villages. I like it.

Penultimatum
Apr 2, 2010
What's the best place to find cold-resistant clothing? I'm at the point in the main quest where I have to go to Bethesda Susa, but I'm afraid of freezing to death.
Also, are there plans for crafting outside the current tinkering system? Although the tinkering system is awesome, it seems kind of odd that you can build a nuclear device with your bare hands but not cobble together low-tech weapons or armor.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

The hunter in the mushroom village has some ape-fur clothes for sale, which are cold resistant. Other than that, you just have to keep checking shops or getting lucky.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

MrWillsauce posted:

The hunter in the mushroom village has some ape-fur clothes for sale, which are cold resistant. Other than that, you just have to keep checking shops or getting lucky.

The hunter is a nonmoving green character in a patch of green trees in the middle of town (mushroom village?? I need to look closer, I guess it's wrong to call Kya goat town).

Elastyne Cap is +25 cold resist

Homeostatic warmers are an arm item with +8 cold resist

Ape fur cloak is +15

Ape fur gloves are +10 I think

I know there's more but I'm usually carapaced and don't have to worry once I getan elastyne cap (it's super cheap even with low ego)

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

If I remember correctly, the only goat in town is the warden, and they all live in giant mushrooms. :shrug:

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I hope there will be poisonous frogs and I hope we can weaponize them
A paralyzing poison skin mutation would be rad

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

amuayse posted:

I hope there will be poisonous frogs and I hope we can weaponize them
A paralyzing poison skin mutation would be rad

Have a variant of the Beguile mutation that works by getting enemies addicted to the drugs your skin secretes.

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

Based on the old roadmap posts on the official forums, I hope I can be a poisonous frog who swallows the dismembered limbs of my foes.

Mutant animals and sentient plants!

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

bisonbison posted:

Mutant animals and sentient plants!
I can't wait. I mean, you can already play vicariously as mutant animals and plants with Domination, so it's just a matter of making a semi-balanced character creation system for them. While rolling random mutant humans is fun, I don't get the same thrill as I do rolling a Gamma World character, when you don't remotely know what the hell you're going to end up with. Speaking of, if I ever get a group together to run play Gamma World again, I think I'm going to shamelessly rip off a lot of Qud's setting and monsters and maybe run a halfway decent game that isn't totally off the wall for once.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Qud doesn't really seem that bad a place to live if you can set up some infrastructure and a tax base.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

amuayse posted:

Qud doesn't really seem that bad a place to live if you can set up some infrastructure and a tax base.

I bet you could do a lot if you could industrialize some of those mutant powers.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Feature friday!

*Bows and Rifles got a big refresh. We streamlined the marking system, made everything much friendlier on the UI, and changed all the Fire powers.
-Updated power: Draw a Bead (0 sp, 19 agi). You spend a turn to draw a bead on a target and mark it. Whenever you fire at a marked target with a bow or rifle, your agility is treated as if it were 2 points higher for the purpose of determining your accuracy. You may only mark one target at a time. If you lose vision of a marked target, that target becomes unmarked.
-Updated power: Suppressive Fire (150 sp, 19 agi). You fire at a marked target. If your shot penetrates, your target is suppressed and can't move for 3-5 rounds. Then your target is unmarked
-Updated power: Wounding Fire (150 sp, 19 agi). You fire at a marked target. For each penetration on each shot that hits, your target bleeds 1 point of damage per round (save: 20 + max damage of the weapon). Then your target is unmarked.
-New power: Sure Fire (150 sp, 19 agi). You fire at a marked target with no accuracy penalty (the accuracy of your weapon still matters). Then your target is unmarked.
-New power: Flattening Fire (200 sp, 25 agi). As long as your target is surrounded by 6 or more solid obstacles, Suppressive Fire is upgraded to Flattening Fire. Flattening Fire also knocks your target prone and disarms them.
-New power: Disorienting Fire (200 sp, 25 agi). As long as your target can't see or hear any faction allies, Wounding Fire is upgraded to Disorienting Fire. Disorienting Fire also reduces your target's DV and MA by 4 for 5-7 rounds.
-New power: Beacon Fire (200 sp, 25 agi). As long as your target is flaming, luminous, or phosphorescent, Sure Fire is upgraded to Beacon Fire. Beacon Fire shots are also treated as critical hits.
-New power: Ultra Fire (300 sp, 29 agi). Cooldown 100. You fire at a marked target. Your shot combines the effects of all the other Fire powers you have. Then your target is unmarked.
*Added a new shield mod: Spiked. Spiked shields add bonus damage to Shield Slam equal to your Strength modifier and cause your target to bleed.
*Blood-stained neck-ring now increases reputation with baboons
*Rejoinder no longer triggers when you're frozen, asleep, prone, paralyzed, stunned or stuck
*Shield Slam damage was reduced from (Strength modifier)d4 + Shield AV to (Strength modifier)d2 + Shield AV
*Paralyze now wears off properly
*The Options menu still loads when there's a corrupt file
*The game now suspends when not in focus
*Added pillarboxing for ultra widescreen aspect ratios
*Fixed a bunch of typos
*Fixed hotkey overlap for Psychometry
*Fixed some minor issues during Golgotha level construction
*Fixed CPU usage going nuts when minimized
*Quditor updates:
-The map is now draggable and zoomable
-Left-click now selects a cell
-Alt+left-click now selects the top blueprint in a cell
-Ctrl+left-click now places the selected blueprint
-Right-click now clears the top blueprint in a cell
-Added an "Add 1 <selected blueprint>" button to Cell Contents
-Added blueprint searching
-Added Save as...
-Fixed file browsing

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Flattening fire sounds like it's basically impossible to use.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
It sounds good for corridors

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

amuayse posted:

It sounds good for corridors

Which are surprisingly rare in this game.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Does a force wall count as a solid obstacle?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Linear cannons seem really bad with their ammo+energy use, single shot capacity and no penetration.

e: oh, it's a ranged vibroweapon. Still not super exciting but neat, I guess.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 5, 2015

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

Linear cannons seem really bad with their ammo+energy use, single shot capacity and no penetration.

They're not actually in the game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Unormal posted:

They're not actually in the game.

I've seen blueprints spawn.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

Ah yeah, that might happen.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

[19:48:26] <dis_astranagant> GIVE ME 8 FULLERITE TWO-HANDED BATTLEAXES AND I'LL GIVE YOU A MIGHTY WEAPON
[19:48:50] <dis_astranagant> I ACCEPT YOUR OFFERING!
[19:49:23] <FearCatalyst> Mortal, all I ask are six metametal greatswords!
[19:49:47] <dis_astranagant> sparking baetyl gives you a folded carbide long sword ->9 <3 2d5

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

dis astranagant posted:

Same here, once

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

I've used one as an artifex before. It was decent enough to last me until I could afford a laser rifle schematic. I could take out goatfolk villages and stuff pretty easily as long as I was careful.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

[19:48:26] <dis_astranagant> GIVE ME 8 FULLERITE TWO-HANDED BATTLEAXES AND I'LL GIVE YOU A MIGHTY WEAPON
[19:48:50] <dis_astranagant> I ACCEPT YOUR OFFERING!
[19:49:23] <FearCatalyst> Mortal, all I ask are six metametal greatswords!
[19:49:47] <dis_astranagant> sparking baetyl gives you a folded carbide long sword ->9 <3 2d5

Where is Qudchat??

the glow
May 31, 2009

MrWillsauce posted:

I've used one as an artifex before.

Yeah, me too. It seemed okay but being single-shot was a big enough handicap that I wouldn't take it over any ranged weapon with a magazine. Is it really a ranged vibroweapon? It seemed useless to me against anything with armour but maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

the glow posted:

Yeah, me too. It seemed okay but being single-shot was a big enough handicap that I wouldn't take it over any ranged weapon with a magazine. Is it really a ranged vibroweapon? It seemed useless to me against anything with armour but maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance

It's just not a completed item, my data disk code sweeps up all the tinkerable items in the blueprints, I just forgot to exclude it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

S.T.C.A. posted:

Where is Qudchat??

#roguelikes on synirc. It's fairly dead most of the time but a few of us ramble about poo poo sometimes.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

I wish the game gave you defects at least some of the time when rolling a random mutant.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Pretty happy with this log:

the glow
May 31, 2009

Unormal posted:

It's just not a completed item, my data disk code sweeps up all the tinkerable items in the blueprints, I just forgot to exclude it.

Ah, fair enough.

If you're willing to indulge in some devchat: what tool(s) are you guys using to manage your XML stuff? I'm loving around in my spare time with my hobby project where quests, NPCs, areas, items etc are all XML-defined as you've done with CoQ, and I'm not sure what the best way is of managing increasingly large amounts of XML data, particularly when there's a need to maintain referential integrity.

Right now I'm just rolling my own editing tools with Swing but that's kind of tedious and I'm wondering if there's a better way, so I'm curious how you did/are doing it.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train

Unormal posted:

That looks great. Is that a fixed rate of fading away into the play area? I dunno about others, but I think I'd like to see all the messages since my last input at full opacity for at a second, possibly fading after that if there are too many.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

the glow posted:

Ah, fair enough.

If you're willing to indulge in some devchat: what tool(s) are you guys using to manage your XML stuff? I'm loving around in my spare time with my hobby project where quests, NPCs, areas, items etc are all XML-defined as you've done with CoQ, and I'm not sure what the best way is of managing increasingly large amounts of XML data, particularly when there's a need to maintain referential integrity.

Right now I'm just rolling my own editing tools with Swing but that's kind of tedious and I'm wondering if there's a better way, so I'm curious how you did/are doing it.

Notepad/visual studio text editor mostly!

Madjackmcmad has some words about custom editors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97O88IK_2bI

Goncyn posted:

That looks great. Is that a fixed rate of fading away into the play area? I dunno about others, but I think I'd like to see all the messages since my last input at full opacity for at a second, possibly fading after that if there are too many.

Right now I'm just showing the prior 4 turns of log, and each turn in the past fades an increment. I haven't done any fancy stuff deciding what's on the play area or not yet.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Unormal posted:

Oh thank god I'll finally be able to have a better grasp of what's going on in combat. Is it in the beta build? Is there even any point to steam subscribing to the beta build?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

nutranurse posted:

Oh thank god I'll finally be able to have a better grasp of what's going on in combat. Is it in the beta build? Is there even any point to steam subscribing to the beta build?

Sometimes the beta build is a little ahead of the default one, usually they're the same. It's not in the Beta build yet, I'm still mucking with the behavior, though hopefully v1 will be up this week sometime.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Dumb question, but have you read Jodorowsky's comics Unormal? Specifically the Incal and Metabarons?

amuayse fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 7, 2015

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

amuayse posted:

Dumb question, but have you read Jodorowsky's comics Unormal? Specifically the Incal and Metabarons?

Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
I stuck a version with an early version of the overlay log up on the Beta branch. Go into UI Options to enable it, if you want to try it out. I'd appreciate feedback/ideas on what you'd like out of it.