Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

CapitalistPig posted:

Fantasy I'm p sure

Ok heres the infodump

There is a magic user of some kind

He has a mirror that shows him whatever his hearts desire is or some poo poo.

It hasnt shown him anything in a super long time and one day some girl appears in it.

He looks for girl.

He lives in a castle made of ice or glass or something like that.
The Mirror of Her Dreams by Stephen R. Donaldson (1986) ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

That's definitely not it, the male wizard was the main character, it may have described him as mage or sorcerer or some kind of other magic man word.

It was a super long time ago so I'm not sure.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
This conversation has reminded me of a book I read in grade 4 called Z for Zachariah, which is something I've only really half remembered. I just remembered the title and the fact that it was about a young teenage girl living in this valley after a nuclear fallout until this guy shows up and tries to be really dominant towards her and tries to rape her talking about restarting the species. It really freaked me out reading this as a kid.

Then it turns out that not only is there a movie, but it was released only a few days ago, but looking at the trailer it looks like they changed the plot a whole bunch.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Mar 27, 2020

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm having trouble with google. Someone linked me the FOE song and now I'm trying to remember that one anime dancing song where the girl counts really fast and runs back and forth and I think speaks in german for a bit.

Help me anime nerds.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Asiina posted:

I'm having trouble with google. Someone linked me the FOE song and now I'm trying to remember that one anime dancing song where the girl counts really fast and runs back and forth and I think speaks in german for a bit.

Help me anime nerds.

Marisa Stole the Precious Thing

e: I should probably be concerned I haven't seen that video in years and knew it right away when you described it

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Lumpen posted:

Someone tell me an awesome book to read.

I recently finished
  • Life of Pi (mediocre)
  • Moby Dick (great)
  • The Martian by Andy Weir (good)
  • Superintelligence by Nick Bostrom (great)
  • The Gulag Archipelago (great)
  • The Disaster Artist by Greg Sestero about the making of The Room (good)
  • Valis by PK Dick (good)

What are your 5 favorite books of all time?
Mine are:
  • Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky
  • The Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas
  • The Fall by Camus
  • Lolita by Nabokov
  • Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

Obviously I always bring up One Hundred Years of Solitude. I also love the Alice books, In Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass. I think I keep going back to Murakami's The Elephant Vanishes because I must also really like it.

Gonna second the Saramago. I haven't read Blindness though we have it at home in French, I tend to read it in Spanish because Portuguese is tough enough without involving his writing style. I have read The Elephant's Journey, which is fun and slightly light-hearted, Cain one of his last books, it's a bit too critical on religion to the point of preachiness and it loses steam half-way through but it has some fun bits, and The Gospel According to Jesus Christ, which is a bit of a slog early on due to it's unsubtle preachiness, but the third to last chapter, iirc, is a loving masterpiece of writing and the reason the book the exists. It's one of the finest bits of writing I've read in years.

I also read Moby Dick this year and it was delightful.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

Marisa Stole the Precious Thing

e: I should probably be concerned I haven't seen that video in years and knew it right away when you described it

Yes that is exactly it.

Have this other extremely old video in payment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbMN7LV4NyE

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Obviously I always bring up One Hundred Years of Solitude. I also love the Alice books, In Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass. I think I keep going back to Murakami's The Elephant Vanishes because I must also really like it.

Gonna second the Saramago. I haven't read Blindness though we have it at home in French, I tend to read it in Spanish because Portuguese is tough enough without involving his writing style. I have read The Elephant's Journey, which is fun and slightly light-hearted, Cain one of his last books, it's a bit too critical on religion to the point of preachiness and it loses steam half-way through but it has some fun bits, and The Gospel According to Jesus Christ, which is a bit of a slog early on due to it's unsubtle preachiness, but the third to last chapter, iirc, is a loving masterpiece of writing and the reason the book the exists. It's one of the finest bits of writing I've read in years.

I also read Moby Dick this year and it was delightful.

I like reading your takes on things, 100. I'll check some of these out!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Also this one cause it's just as good as the first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcT7eijRbaI

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Who is everybody's favorite author that they feel nobody else has heard of? I discovered Walter Moers last year and his books are incredibly charming and fun. They have this incredible whimsy to them that is very sweet.

Also everybody has heard of him, but Anthony Burgess is incredibly underappreciated. Clockwork Orange is a masterpiece, but most of the rest of his stuff is very, very good as well. Check out Nothing Like The Sun for some great writing!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I don't hear people talk about James Joyce very often. I enjoyed Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man and Ulysses but I don't find a ton of other people who've read them.

Those videos are weird Asiina

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

CCKeane posted:

I like reading your takes on things, 100. I'll check some of these out!

Thanks! It helps to give reasons to people for books when you work at library. It's always such a treat to help people get books. The other day I got a woman to take A Confederacy of Dunces and I recommended to another one Remains of the Days and The Elephant Vanishes. I a hit with our older female patrons actually. It must be my accent.

Tell me if you read The Gospel because I can gush about that passage for hours and it's brilliant. It had been a long time since I had just needed to turn the pages and was compulsively fingering the sheets of paper as my eyes dashed over the words hungry to know what was going to be said. It's so good. Someone should make a play out of that chapter. Or a movie or anything.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Robertson Davies

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Lumpen posted:

What are your 5 favorite books of all time?
Mine are:
  • Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky
  • The Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas
  • The Fall by Camus
  • Lolita by Nabokov
  • Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

Malazan Book of the Fallen series, by Steven Erikson - hardcore epic fantasy series written by an archaeologist/anthropologist by trade, so there's a ton of history going back several centuries and escalating tiers of badasses
Vlad Taltos series, by Steven Brust - wizard assassin in a fantasy Mafia, follows the Rule of Cool all the way through and is very enjoyable and accessible
Inherent Vice, by Thomas Pynchon - tough call between this and Gravity's Rainbow, but I can reread IV in a weekend and it's an LA story so it wins
House of Leaves, by Mark Z. Danielewski - nontraditional page layouts and a story within a story, great take on the postmodern style
Infinite Jest, by David Foster Wallace - a great take on modern living, excellent writing all the way and one of the few books I've read where you could really feel what the author was thinking all the way through

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I don't want to commit to favorite authors or top five books or anything right now but two things I've read in the last week that I really enjoyed are Dry by Augusten Burroughs (a reread - I forgot about it for years and found it while moving) and Five Little Pigs by Agatha Christie (I had ~90 minutes to kill between the end of work and my weekly bar trivia thing and by the time I had to go I was hooked)

"Nobody else has heard of" is a big overstatement, but a long time ago I went through a big Donald Westlake Dortmunder series phase and I've never heard anyone outside of my parents mention him. The Hot Rock is a really good movie adaptation with Robert Redford, What's the Worst that Can Happen? is a...movie adaptation.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Ernie. posted:

can someone explain phillip k dick to me?

it's just pseudo-philosophical babble interwoven with some random sci-fi setting/elements and cliche moral conundrums thrown in

like ... he himself admitted he didn't enjoy writing what he did, but he did it because it sold
Philip K. Dick speaks for himself. He wrote down words for you to read.

Although Counter-Clock World was hot garbage but not in the way you describe, it was just a half baked premise that was basically ancillary to a really dumb plot.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i cant believe we are losing dinklebot and getting nolanbot

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I really liked Dinklebot. He was just detached enough to sound robotic while still giving a decent performance.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Mar 27, 2020

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

The Ninth Layer posted:

Malazan Book of the Fallen series, by Steven Erikson - hardcore epic fantasy series written by an archaeologist/anthropologist by trade, so there's a ton of history going back several centuries and escalating tiers of badasses
Vlad Taltos series, by Steven Brust - wizard assassin in a fantasy Mafia, follows the Rule of Cool all the way through and is very enjoyable and accessible
Inherent Vice, by Thomas Pynchon - tough call between this and Gravity's Rainbow, but I can reread IV in a weekend and it's an LA story so it wins
House of Leaves, by Mark Z. Danielewski - nontraditional page layouts and a story within a story, great take on the postmodern style
Infinite Jest, by David Foster Wallace - a great take on modern living, excellent writing all the way and one of the few books I've read where you could really feel what the author was thinking all the way through

We like very similar books, TNL. I'm reading Inherent Vice Infinite Jest right now! It's so long and intimidating, but the writing is like the opposite of intimidating.

I don't know how I wrote Inherent Vice when I was thinking Infinite Jest. They have very similar names!

George Kansas fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 5, 2015

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Catch-22 and 4 animorphs

3 Tobias ones and the first crayak one which I think stars marco

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Last night I danced underneath a giant robot spider that was on fire also there were octopus men

It was awesome

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Rarity posted:

Last night I danced underneath a giant robot spider that was on fire also there were octopus men

It was awesome

Were you dancing inside Final Fantasy 8?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BottleKnight posted:

Were you dancing inside Final Fantasy 8?

Time did definitely feel compressed!

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Rarity posted:

It was awesome

Bristol Arcadia?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Dugong posted:

Bristol Arcadia?

Yep!

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Ah fun I've finally sorted a place out in London and I'm moving in on Monday. I've seen some great plays so far and I'm gunna book some gig tickets this weekend.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
I missed book chat!

My favorite books are:
The Good Earth by Pearl S Buck
Oblivion by David Foster Wallace
Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
Pattern Recognition by William Gibson
Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Rarity posted:

It was awesome

Rarity posted:

Time did definitely feel compressed!

I just looked up Bristol Arcadia, that sounds like a total blast :j::hf::j:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

My favorite books:
  • A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller - Catholic monks preserve technology after the end of the world;
  • The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov - Satan wreaks havoc on Soviet society;
  • The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka - "As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic insect;"
  • Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier - A young woman is haunted by the memory of her husband's first wife;
  • 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King - Vampires terrorize a small Maine town;
  • I, Claudius by Robert Graves - Emperor Cladius of Rome writes his autobiography;
  • And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie - Ten strangers are invited to an island on mysterious pretenses;
  • The Count of Monte Cristo (Abridged) by Alexandre Dumas - A wealthy genius takes revenge on the men who had him wrongly imprisoned;
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley - A scientist tries to create a living man;
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky - A former student tries to kill the owner of a pawn shop.

Books I Regret Reading:
  • The Klone and I by Danielle Steel - A divorced middle-aged woman goes to Paris, meets a handsome mad scientist who is chairman of a bionics and prosthetic company. Because this is a realistic and stable relationship, the mad scientist builds a "klone" of himself to keep the protagonist company while he is away. They engage in depraved sex and exhibitionism for 100 pages before the klone starts asking questions about his purpose and his relationship with the protagonist. He is immediately disassembled.
  • Save Me the Waltz by Zelda Fitzgerald - not-Zelda falls in love with not-F. Scott Fitzgerald, but their relationship sours after an affair. Out of spite, the two become incredibly successful celebrities but are privately miserable. I really wanted to give Zelda some posthumous vindication, but the prose is really, really bad.
  • Childhood's End by Arthur Clarke - Perfect aliens invade earth and reshape humanity. Several groups try to rebel, but they are dumb and the aliens are super intelligent superbeings and stop them immediately. After failing in their rebellion, humanity tries to understand more about the aliens but they are just too perfect to comprehend. Free will effectively disappears, but that's okay. The perfect aliens have no ulterior motives and humanity is dumb anyways.
  • Left Behind and Tribulation Force by Tim LaHaye - After every "good" protestant and all children under the age of sixteen disappear, it is up to a washed up journalist and his misfit gang of supporters to stop the Antichrist, the United Nations Secretary-General. Also, the Catholic Church is literally run by Satan. Please check out our website for more Chick Tracts.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 5, 2015

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

QuoProQuid posted:

My favorite books: [list]
[*] The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov - Satan wreaks havoc on Soviet society;

I haven't read it but I thought for years it was called "The Master and the Margarita" and was about a dude that just loved his iced alcoholic drinks.

QuoProQuid posted:

Books I Regret Reading:[list]
[*] The Klone and I by Danielle Steel - A divorced middle-aged woman goes to Paris, meets a handsome mad scientist who is chairman of a bionics and prosthetic company. Because this is a realistic and stable relationship, the mad scientist builds a "klone" of himself to keep the protagonist company while he is away. They engage in depraved sex and exhibitionism for 100 pages before the klone starts asking questions about his purpose and his relationship with the protagonist. He is immediately disassembled.

This sounds precious. Her crap is one of the more popular things in public libraries it seems.

I think my secret shame is having read Infinite Jest and not having either not enjoyed it or not understood it. I think I bring this up every time we do bookchat. I'd prefer to think I didn't understand it because, if I did that means that I just didn't really care for it. Unfortunately because it's so long I really won't be re-reading it for many years to come if ever. For a book that's in many ways 3 books in one I did enjoy the passages about AA. The tennis and the international intrigue didn't much do it for me in the end.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
Quid there's a liberal Christian blog called Slacktivist that deconstructs Left Behind and points out the glaring theological flaws in it. It's brilliant and you should check it out.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I think my secret shame is having read Infinite Jest and not having either not enjoyed it or not understood it. I think I bring this up every time we do bookchat. I'd prefer to think I didn't understand it because, if I did that means that I just didn't really care for it. Unfortunately because it's so long I really won't be re-reading it for many years to come if ever. For a book that's in many ways 3 books in one I did enjoy the passages about AA. The tennis and the international intrigue didn't much do it for me in the end.

Part of the book is that way too much is going on to follow in a single read and it is a book meant to be reread, but if you didn't really get much out of it round one, yeah you probably just don't like it. I really like it but it definitely doesn't resonate with everyone and it is amusing you feel like you should like it.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

My favorite books change a lot. Maybe today there are...

Candide by Voltaire
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien
Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
Mythology by Edith Hamilton

Honorable mentions: Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher, Will Grayson/Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan, and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by some lady.

Books I Regret Reading

I despise books that are wordy for the sake of being wordy. Anything by Anne Rice fits this bill. I also hated The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Frankenstein, and Atlas Shrugged for this same reason. Also Atlas Shrugged is evil. Wuthering Heights is also guilty of this but has a really hosed up and interesting story underneath so I give it a pass. The Hobbit is fantasy and needs that flowery language.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

just kidding

best rear end books
nintendo power
egm
wizard magazine
spider-man #1
wolverine (picture book_

worst rear end bnooks
yearbook

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I like Infinite Jest but have started taking note summaries of each chapter after I finish it. Not because it's hard to read but just because of the bulkiness of the prose. I started reading on ebook before I had to switch to paperback just because of stuff like footnotes and referring back to previous chapters.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Little Mac posted:

Books I Regret Reading

#noragrets I read over a hundred books in this series as a kid

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I think the only book I've ever really regretted reading in its entirety was Unwind, cause it was not only dumb but made me feel ill with some of the stuff that happened in the ending.

With books if I don't like it I'll just stop reading it, so I don't really regret it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
There are billions of books out there. If you're out of school and not required to read any particular book, why would you read it if you don't like it?