Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Been trying to figure out why my video driver keeps crashing and freezing up my computer. According to intel, HD 2000/3000 graphics are not W10 compatible and that is the problem. This page supports that:
http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034343.htm

But there has to be a lot of computers out there with those graphic chips. There are some people complaining about the same problem as me but not as many as you would think if it was just the chip. So I'm not sure where to go after this. It seems intel is covering their rear end for the moment by saying it's not their problem. It's tempting to buy a cheap graphics card to see if that solves the problem.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

hooah posted:

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying your num lock turns itself off? Or that you don't want it to be possible to turn off, even if you hit the key?

I cannot enable NUMLOCK once logged into Windows. When I press the key the light doesn't turn on. It is frustrating that every time I have to enter numbers I have to peck at the number row across the top and cannot use the number pad. This was an issue in 8.0, 8.1, and now 10.0.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

wormil posted:

Been trying to figure out why my video driver keeps crashing and freezing up my computer. According to intel, HD 2000/3000 graphics are not W10 compatible and that is the problem. This page supports that:
http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034343.htm

But there has to be a lot of computers out there with those graphic chips. There are some people complaining about the same problem as me but not as many as you would think if it was just the chip. So I'm not sure where to go after this. It seems intel is covering their rear end for the moment by saying it's not their problem. It's tempting to buy a cheap graphics card to see if that solves the problem.

Haha wow, and at the same time Microsoft's tool to check if your configuration is compatible says everything is gonna be juuuuuuuuuuuust fine on my notebook with HD3000 and Optimus. I wasn't planning on upgrading it anytime soon, but this is just crazy.

There's no way I'm going to buy a new notebook to replace one that is still perfectly adequate and it's ridiculous for Intel to drop driver support after just four years.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I cannot enable NUMLOCK once logged into Windows. When I press the key the light doesn't turn on. It is frustrating that every time I have to enter numbers I have to peck at the number row across the top and cannot use the number pad. This was an issue in 8.0, 8.1, and now 10.0.

How old is the keyboard? That sounds like a driver issue.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Rexxed posted:

Check out:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...94336ac2?auth=1

The second post has a fix (reverting to the windows 7 driver), but you may have to hide the windows 10 driver update to prevent the new messed up driver from being reinstalled. There's details further in that thread.

From awhile ago, but I finally got around to doing this. I was able to get my track pad working. Thank you.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Google Chrome becomes unresponsive whenever I lock it to either side of the screen. Dunno what's up.

Risket
Apr 3, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I'm running Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (I only had a 32-bit key when I installed Win7), but I don't want to upgrade to Windows 10 32-bit, I want go to 64-bit if I can. Will I be forced to use Windows 10 32-bit when I go for the free upgrade?

Risket fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 4, 2015

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Risket posted:

I'm running Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (I only had a 32-bit key when I installed Win7), but I don't want to upgrade to Windows 10 32-bit, I want go to 64-bit if I can. Will I be forced to used Windows 10 32-bit when I go for the free upgrade?

I do know that Windows 7 Pro keys work for both 32-bit and 64-bit. Try upgrading then doing a clean install of Windows 10 Pro x64 using the Media Creation Tool.

First, grab your product key using Magical Jelly Bean and make a copy of it. If for whatever reason the Windows upgrade won't let you switch architectures, do a clean install of Windows 7 Professional x64 using the key you copied and a copy of the Windows 7 Professional x64 installation ISO using your torrent tracker of choice (I recommend qbittorrent). The ISO isn't :filez:, Microsoft offered it as a free download until recently (really when you buy Windows you're not buying the ISO, you're buying the product key).

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
You can still grab Win 7 from product recovery if you have a valid license key.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

edit: Enterprise and msdn keys won't let you grab an iso. Academic keys have a separate place you go to.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 4, 2015

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Geemer posted:

Haha wow, and at the same time Microsoft's tool to check if your configuration is compatible says everything is gonna be juuuuuuuuuuuust fine on my notebook with HD3000 and Optimus. I wasn't planning on upgrading it anytime soon, but this is just crazy.

There's no way I'm going to buy a new notebook to replace one that is still perfectly adequate and it's ridiculous for Intel to drop driver support after just four years.

Yeah, I don't get it. It's currently using a W8.1 driver. I've tried all sorts of things from updating my bios, deleting/reinstalling/updating various MB utilities, deleting/reinstalling the video driver. Nothing works. If I play one video at a time in Firefox, not full screen, I am relatively safe from crashing. Chrome pops almost immediately. Edge goes bang after a few minutes. Open two tabs with youtube videos in any browser and it's game over.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

havenwaters posted:

You can still grab Win 7 from product recovery if you have a valid license key.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

edit: Enterprise and msdn keys won't let you grab an iso. Academic keys have a separate place you go to.
Annoyingly OEM keys also won't work. Which is just Microsoft being dicks.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What in the loving gently caress?! Something forced SmartScreen on here on my system, despite specifically turning it off in the past. And if it kicks in, the only option it offers you is "Don't run", which is awesome, because it doesn't recognize lots of less known executables, like Oculus Rift demos. Awesome.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Burn it all down.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I used to have the same problem with chrome. The only option was to entirely turn off the protection or not run that thing until they finally added in an option to actually download the file.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

What in the loving gently caress?! Something forced SmartScreen on here on my system, despite specifically turning it off in the past. And if it kicks in, the only option it offers you is "Don't run", which is awesome, because it doesn't recognize lots of less known executables, like Oculus Rift demos. Awesome.

Look at little harder...

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Risket posted:

I'm running Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (I only had a 32-bit key when I installed Win7), but I don't want to upgrade to Windows 10 32-bit, I want go to 64-bit if I can. Will I be forced to use Windows 10 32-bit when I go for the free upgrade?
Win 7 keys were not architecture specific. You can go to win10, but only by upgrading to 32 bit and then doing a clean 64 bit install.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is there some kind of actual Windows 10 hardware check not just one for requirements?

I want to upgrade but I don't want to have to rollback.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
How do I get Windows 10 to stop offering me an Office 365 trial?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Volcott posted:

Buy Office 365.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Whizbang posted:

Buy Office 365.

You can't buy Office 365 you dingus.

Anti Plum
Sep 15, 2007
I've briefly scanned the op and the last few pages but I didn't see anything.

I replaced my mainboard/cpu/ram and now windows 10 won't activate (no surprise there), but the support people say the only option is to reinstall windows 8.1 and redo the free upgrade.
Is there no other way? That's a massive pain in the rear end... What happened to phone activation?

EDIT:

nielsm posted:

Are you running with old-style PC BIOS boot right now, and the new mobo would be UEFI boot? If that's the same, definitely reinstall. Going Win 8 install -> ensure activated -> Win 10 upgrade should work fine for that.

If you're already using UEFI boot, first try just booting back into your existing install, see if that's possible.
If not, try if you can do a boot recovery. You might need a bootable Win 10 DVD or USB for that.
If you manage to boot into your existing install, see if it will activate. If it does, awesome. Report back! If not, see if you can phone Microsoft and get them to activate, also report that back :) I think lots of people want to know how that kind of hardware upgrade gets handled.

If you can't get your existing upgraded install activated again, just do the Win 8 install -> ensure activated -> Win 10 upgrade dance. That ought to work.

The lovely thing is I went from an old rear end AMD (not UEFI) to new Intel (UEFI) and windows didn't even blink with regards to drivers and poo poo. Downloaded the latest drivers from the manufacturer and everything works perfectly. Except that windows won't activate and support says either buy a new key or reinstall.

Anti Plum fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 5, 2015

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

wormil posted:

Yeah, I don't get it. It's currently using a W8.1 driver. I've tried all sorts of things from updating my bios, deleting/reinstalling/updating various MB utilities, deleting/reinstalling the video driver. Nothing works. If I play one video at a time in Firefox, not full screen, I am relatively safe from crashing. Chrome pops almost immediately. Edge goes bang after a few minutes. Open two tabs with youtube videos in any browser and it's game over.

Is weird. I have an HD3000 and nV 555M Optimus setup and it just works for me. No problems at all.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Volcott posted:

Uninstall "Get Office".

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Volcott posted:

You can't buy Office 365 you dingus.

??? is this some kind of Microsoft doublespeak?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You can only rent it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You can buy anything, for the right price. I mean, I doubt it's worth the tens of millions it would cost you to buy the platform from Microsoft just to get rid of the ad, but still.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

BattleCattle posted:

Google Chrome becomes unresponsive whenever I lock it to either side of the screen. Dunno what's up.

Snap it to the side then resize it a tiny bit smaller from a bottom corner. No idea what's going on or why that works

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Anti Plum posted:

I've briefly scanned the op and the last few pages but I didn't see anything.

I replaced my mainboard/cpu/ram and now windows 10 won't activate (no surprise there), but the support people say the only option is to reinstall windows 8.1 and redo the free upgrade.
Is there no other way? That's a massive pain in the rear end... What happened to phone activation?

EDIT:

The lovely thing is I went from an old rear end AMD (not UEFI) to new Intel (UEFI) and windows didn't even blink with regards to drivers and poo poo. Downloaded the latest drivers from the manufacturer and everything works perfectly. Except that windows won't activate and support says either buy a new key or reinstall.

I guess that makes it official: The free Windows 10 upgrade expires when you do a major hardware replacement. No reactivations.

Anti Plum
Sep 15, 2007
Yea I'm pissed since they really should have a better procedure in place for this. One of the support guys told me it was a big no-no (his words) to allow activation after a mainboard swap so I'm pretty sure there is something they can do. But I tried a couple times with different techs and got the same bullshit. Seems to be common too with the various internet postings I found.

Anyway I reinstalled 8.1 and then updated to 10 again and its fine. :rolleyes: Why I couldn't just prove I own 8.1 or whatever hosed if I know...

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The point of the free upgrade was to get a group of people who typically don't upgrade their OS (people with functioning systems that they aren't doing a major overhaul of) to upgrade. That's it. Once you're in, you're more likely to pay for a license or otherwise keep your new OS. There was a lot of speculation over whether they were moving to a subscription model for Windows, but apparently it was just what essentially amounts to an extended trial period.

I'd rather they did the temporarily cheap permanent license they did for Windows 8 or a yearly sub, but here we are I guess.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
Thanks everyone for the help with the keyboard. I just need a new one I suppose as a 10 year old keyboard maybe isn't the best option.

New issue. What the gently caress is up with OneDrive syncing? From File Explorer if I navigate to "This PC > LOCAL DISK C > USER > MYNAME > ONEDRIVE > PICTURES > CAMERA ROLL I can see ALL of my photos, including ones I took last night.

If I go to Facebook and follow the exact file path the pictures I can choose have nothing from the last month.

:wtc:

WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON? I Just went to that file path and now nothing from the last month is showing locally either. If I go to start and click Photos, all the pictures show up but I cannot navigate to them on my computer or share them with Facebook.

Why is this so hard?

Doomsday Jesus fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Sep 5, 2015

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It's not an extended trial, it's the equivalent of an OEM license with less ways to cheat your way through a major hardware change.

And the official and initial stance on the cheap Windows 8 offer was that it was an upgrade license, requiring you to install the old OS first on new hardware as well. So not a lot of gain there, while staying within the TOS.

A cheap offer to keep the eventual retail status of your license through the upgrade (in addition to the free offer) would be most welcome though, which is the real issue here.

And, goddamn, offer all the isos without restrictions and have them work with all keys that qualify in one way or another.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Hi, guess I'd better snag a key from my school's MSDN site while I'm still here.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Skarsnik posted:

Snap it to the side then resize it a tiny bit smaller from a bottom corner. No idea what's going on or why that works

I think this is an issue with Chrome 45

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My dad had upgraded his laptop to 10, but the start button stopped responding (and the menu couldn't be accessed any other way, either). I visited home today to help back things up and refresh, but it's stuck on a screen with the Windows logo and the spinning dots. I've rebooted the laptop, but the same thing's still happening. How does one fix this?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

hooah posted:

My dad had upgraded his laptop to 10, but the start button stopped responding (and the menu couldn't be accessed any other way, either). I visited home today to help back things up and refresh, but it's stuck on a screen with the Windows logo and the spinning dots. I've rebooted the laptop, but the same thing's still happening. How does one fix this?

Do you have a copy of the Windows 10 installation media? If not, get it by downloading the Media Creation Tool. From there, make an install USB corresponding to whatever version of Windows 10 your dad's running (most likely derived from his version of Windows 7/8). Once that's done, plug the USB into the laptop and boot from it, and select "repair your computer." Try "refresh your PC", then "reset your PC."

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I upgraded my Surface Pro 2 to win10 yesterday, everything seems fine so I'm happy with that but I had a dumb question about the way my partitions ended up;

I set about trying to reclaim some space and I figure I don't need to the old win8.1 recovery partition

I set up a recovery usb and as part of that delete the recovery partition - it says it's done but still I'm left with this

I'm pretty sure this is fine to remove (correct me if I'm wrong there), but I'm also pretty sure that I won't be able to recover the extra space into the primary partition because of the efi partition sitting in between - right?

It's not a lot of space but poo poo like that bugs me - I held off just having a go at it in case my assumption about it being fine to remove was misplaced

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Grim posted:

I upgraded my Surface Pro 2 to win10 yesterday, everything seems fine so I'm happy with that but I had a dumb question about the way my partitions ended up;

I set about trying to reclaim some space and I figure I don't need to the old win8.1 recovery partition

I set up a recovery usb and as part of that delete the recovery partition - it says it's done but still I'm left with this

I'm pretty sure this is fine to remove (correct me if I'm wrong there), but I'm also pretty sure that I won't be able to recover the extra space into the primary partition because of the efi partition sitting in between - right?

It's not a lot of space but poo poo like that bugs me - I held off just having a go at it in case my assumption about it being fine to remove was misplaced

Sure, delete it. Long as you can reinstall with some other media. should be able to resize the C partition to use that space.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Does 390MB really matter? You can use a linux live USB to attempt to move those partitions around. Safety not guaranteed, but I've done it before with no ill effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Lum posted:

Is weird. I have an HD3000 and nV 555M Optimus setup and it just works for me. No problems at all.

Such is the nature of computer issues. I tend to be that guy that gets all the weird glitches. I have a Geforce 610 on the way which should solve the problem.