Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

TwoPair posted:

Danny Phantom is a show I really liked the concept of and I feel like it could've done much better if it didn't have the exact same Butch Hartman-style animation as Fairly Oddparents. That look just doesn't meld with action, even if you're trying to mix it with comedy.

I've never really been able to pinpoint why I never really got into Danny Phantom, even though I liked the concept. It might just be the FOP style, even though I've always liked that style. I think going for something a bit different like Samurai Jack with the pretty-much-Dexter's-Lab style did. But yeah, Danny Phantom always felt like one of those shows that had a lot of potential that it never really did anything with.

I did like the one ghost voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson, who has the best voice in cartoons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Macaluso posted:

I did like the one ghost voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson, who has the best voice in cartoons

He's come so far from Homeboys in Outer Space.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Thwomp posted:

From a few pages back, there was discussion of Mainframe and their 90s CG cartoons.

I think this was their high point and any discussion of Mainframe means I have to go search for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9t7G_lHeiY

The future has changed. Yessssss. The Autobots... LOSE! Evil... TRIUMPHS! And you... YOU! NO LONGER! EXIST!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So remember that thing a page ago about Nickelodeon doing a revamp of its old shows like Hey Arnold, Rugrats, etc?

Seems they are going a slightly different route:

http://www.tracking-board.com/tb-exclusive-90s-nicktoons-set-to-make-a-comeback-in-paramount-crossover-movie/

quote:

Now more than ever, the intense wave of 1990s nostalgia is at its height, with a slew of upcoming TV shows and movies planned to capitalize on the collective desire for a return of these cherished properties. Just this week even, Nickelodeon announced a plan to reboot ’90s favorites in a fresh new way.

Well, it’s time for millennials to rejoice, because the beloved Nickelodeon cartoon series of the ’90s are making a return in the biggest way possible. Sources exclusively confirm to The Tracking Board that Paramount Pictures is in the early stages of developing a massive live-action/animated crossover film featuring characters from hit ’90s Nick cartoons. Rugrats, Angry Beavers, Hey Arnold!, Rocko’s Modern Life, Ren and Stimpy, and more are coming together for what’s being pitched as a Justice League or Avenger’s-esque team-up film called NICKTOONS.

Citing The Lego Movie, Space Jam, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, and Wreck It Ralph as influences, Nicktoons is poised to follow a similar model, employing a hefty amount of self-referential humor and charm.

Our sources say that Mary Parent is leading the charge on this one, working with the studio to develop and lock down the rights to the individual series. Parent and Cale Boyter are producing the pic via their shingle, Disruption Entertainment, which signed an overall deal with Paramount this past March.

Parent of course has a proven track record with adapting Nickelodeon cartoons into successful features, having produced this year’s Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out of Water. Nickelodeon Movies, which is a subsidiary of Paramount, is also producing, while Elizabeth Raposo will oversee for the studio.

Paramount is currently in discussions with different writers, looking for the perfect scribe to tackle a project balancing such immensely beloved properties.

Naysayers ought not to fear, as our sources say that the creators have no intentions to bastardize or update the characters unfavorably, only to create a fun adventure reuniting audiences with the treasured cartoons in an exciting new approach, pleasing old fans and creating new ones. Though, creators have to tread lightly, as they run the risk of making another Rugrats Go Wild, which was an ill-received and poorly conceived crossover that just didn’t mesh.

In this reporter’s opinion, news of the project is mind-blowing, but it’s that kind of crazy where the film could potentially be the best thing ever. Though all the included series haven’t yet been ironed out, we’re hoping Catdog, Ahh!!! Real Monsters, and Doug are also invited to the party, because that would be awesome.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Real life can not adequately capture the hideousness of Klasky Csupo character designs.

Wreck-It Ralph with Nicktoons isn't a terrible idea but I really don't trust them to do it right and making it even partially live action seems like a really bad plan.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 5, 2015

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
I don't understand, what does live action have to do with a massive Nicktoons crossover? Are we going to see people from All That, Pete and Pete, and Nick's other old live action properties?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Oh my God they took a bad idea and made it worse

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They should also have an 80s team with Dave Coulier, Les Lye, Marc Summers, and Mr. Wizard.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
If Kenan and Kel are the live action components for this crossover thing I might enjoy this bad idea.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jack Gladney posted:

They should also have an 80s team with Dave Coulier, Les Lye, Marc Summers, and Mr. Wizard.
No we should pitch the show to finally settle the score "Who is the better TV Kids Science man?" Bill Nye vs Mr. Wizard

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

So remember that thing a page ago about Nickelodeon doing a revamp of its old shows like Hey Arnold, Rugrats, etc?

http://www.tracking-board.com/tb-exclusive-90s-nicktoons-set-to-make-a-comeback-in-paramount-crossover-movie/

Holy poo poo this is the worst loving idea.

In unrelated news, this week of new Gumballs was delightful.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Macaluso posted:

Ahahahahahah

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Nicktoon Avengers is a horrible idea and I can't wait.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Macaluso posted:

wow this is going to suck

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
They're literally going to make Kenan into Nick Fury. ..actually it'd make more sense for Kel, or like a shared role.

Kel: Tommy Pickles, I'm here to talk to you about the Nicktoons Initiative.
Kenan: You can't recruit a baby!
Kel: He just said that a baby's gotta do what a baby's gotta do, man!

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Y-Hat posted:

Comedy Central is doing really well, isn't it?

I'm not from the US, so forgive me for my ignorance here, but what exactly is Comedy Central succeeding with these days apart from South Park? Jon Stewart's just left the Daily Show, and I doubt that Trevor Noah will be anywhere near as popular, so what big hitters do they have to ride on in the future?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

nick knows that space jam was a terrible film right

that's partially only appealing because of how insanely bad and nonsensical it is, combined with millenial irony, combined with getting a whole bunch of at-their-prime basketball players to make cameos in a movie about loving looney tunes

it's like a perfect storm of the worst ideas ever somehow making the most watchable garbage

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Venomous posted:

I'm not from the US, so forgive me for my ignorance here, but what exactly is Comedy Central succeeding with these days apart from South Park? Jon Stewart's just left the Daily Show, and I doubt that Trevor Noah will be anywhere near as popular, so what big hitters do they have to ride on in the future?

amy schumer and key and peele are huge mainstream successes that are critically adored

nathan for you, review, broad city, another period are all critical successes

then there's the position players like @midnight, etc

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Toxxupation posted:

amy schumer and key and peele are huge mainstream successes that are critically adored

nathan for you, review, broad city, another period are all critical successes

then there's the position players like @midnight, etc

Don't forget about Drunk History.

Also, saying Trevor Noah won't be as popular implies that Jon Stewart was at the exact same level of fame when he started The Daily Show as when he ended. It also implies that no other late night show as been able to carry on with a new host.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Macaluso posted:

:barf:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

El Tortuga posted:

Don't forget about Drunk History.

Also, saying Trevor Noah won't be as popular implies that Jon Stewart was at the exact same level of fame when he started The Daily Show as when he ended. It also implies that no other late night show as been able to carry on with a new host.

Well Larry Wilmore ain't really lighting the ratings charts on fire.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TwoPair posted:

Danny Phantom is a show I really liked the concept of and I feel like it could've done much better if it didn't have the exact same Butch Hartman-style animation as Fairly Oddparents. That look just doesn't meld with action, even if you're trying to mix it with comedy.

same thing can be said for Ninjago, it'd probably find a lot more acceptance if it wasn't stuck in the Lego style, first season was actually surprisingly good(second season kinda dragged and had a lot of really dumb ideas though, and haven't seen any of the others yet)

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Toxxupation posted:

nick knows that space jam was a terrible film right

that's partially only appealing because of how insanely bad and nonsensical it is, combined with millenial irony, combined with getting a whole bunch of at-their-prime basketball players to make cameos in a movie about loving looney tunes

it's like a perfect storm of the worst ideas ever somehow making the most watchable garbage

It was a strange enough freak accident to actually make a $250 million profit though. And they didn't just list Space Jam, but also Who Framed Rodger Rabbit, the movie that basically brought about the 90s era of animation.

However, LooneyToons Back in Action should have taught everyone how uncontrollable making a perfect so-bad-its-good film is or what exactly could go wrong in making a film no one but the producers wants. And I sincerely doubt they have access to 1/20th of the talent that made Rodger Rabbit possible seeing as this is the company that has also pissed away everything but the decades old shows they've trapped in the rerun cycle that canceled Angry Beavers for mocking. But the part of Viacom in charge of Nickelodeon is probably so desperate that they'll jump on this terrible idea and blow billions into making the Nicktoons version of Pixels. This could be Hudson Hawk levels of cinematic titanic.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

If Kenan and Kel are the live action components for this crossover thing I might enjoy this bad idea.

90s Toons versus 30-50 something child actor villains that desperately cling to their authentic cheesy 90s rubber power rangers costumes to hide the effects that drugs and their falls from fame have done to them after their time on Hey Dude.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I thought Loony Tunes: Back in Action had some really funny jokes, they were just few and far between. Like the scene where Wile-E Coyote is leaving Acme (? Steve Martin's character)'s office and Acme is all "HEY WATCH OUT FOR the stairs, and the plate glass window. Should I even mention the firecrackers?" I thought that one was cute at least. Also when the supercar is falling from the sky and stops before impact because, as Bugs points out: "Look at that. Out of gas." And the female character's all like "It doesn't work like that." and then the car finishes crashing, totaling it completely, only to have Bugs retort: "Thanks Toots..."

Everything else was forgettable as all hell but I thought those jokes worked. Also enjoyed the background jokes in the restaurant with Shaggy telling off Matthew Lillard for his poor performance as him in the movies; and Speedy Gonzales and Porky Pig complaining to each other that they don't get work anymore due to being culturally insensitive. :3:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I liked Back in Action :(

Space Jam is awesome though, step off haters

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
It probably did more to make a legitimate Looney Toons movie instead of some grand experiment in turning Nike Air Jordan commercials into a film, but it cost 80 million to make and only made back around 60 million globally trying to chase after another Space Jam. It didn't get enough marketing and it didn't trigger the same sort of curious crowds to buy into Micheal Jordan and the 90s pantheon of Basket Ball stars hanging out with digital cartoons. The saddest part of Back in Action's failure is that its commercial flop is was what caused Warner Bros's mad dash at trying to re-brand Looney Toons and brought about Lunatics Unleashed. Even when they struck gold with Duck Dodgers that was apparently commissioned specifically to be a tie-in to Back in Action, but when the movie failed everything had to be scrapped trying to make the timeless toons "viable in the 21st century" and they came up with incredibly bad Faux Anime.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 7, 2015

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Back In Action was really good. It's the movie Joe Dante was born to make.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Finally, I have met the people who like the reviled films I like :unsmith:
Of course I liked the Rocky and Bullwinkle movie, so I might be pressing my luck,

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

They actually had a good thing going with The Looney Tunes Show, but of course since that show wasn't poo poo-awful they couldn't cancel it fast enough.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Sorry, the Rocky and Bullwinkle film, while not quite as bad as its reputation, is still pretty terrible.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

They actually had a good thing going with The Looney Tunes Show, but of course since that show wasn't poo poo-awful they couldn't cancel it fast enough.

That show was oddly hated and I couldn't really understand why. It's talked about in the same way peoe talk about Loonatics. Like I know it wasn't a traditional the Looney Toons show that people wanted but every time they've done that it's turned out terribly and this was a good middle ground helped by good writing that was true to the characters while also doing its own thing. Also, and I know some people strongly disagree with this, it made the worst Looney Tunes character, Lola, into something that could at least stand its own against the other established characters.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I kind of felt like the show felt kind of dreary. Like the characters are in too mundane a world, and whenever anyone does anything funny or even just interesting it either upsets or just sort of awkwardly confuses everyone. And the jokes told just weren't funny or interesting to really make that kind of show worth watching.

Then again I didn't like that we bare bears show people seem to like for similar reasons, though I think it has VASTLY better comedy and characters.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Because people like me didn't really want a Looney Tunes Seinfeld. It certainly did make Lola into an actual character instead of some weird furry Jessica Rabbit to just strut into Space Jam and make Bugs Bunny act like he always made Fud did when he put on a dress, but a few good things can't really excuse a lack of craziness in everything else.

Well that and after I saw The Wizard, I wanted another Duck Dodgers except Daffy seeing a fantasy world in his daily life. You can't give me gold and then expect me to settle for the :mediocre: that birthed it. But there is going to be some sort of Boomerang only spin-off of this show, Wabbit, which is going to hit on October 5th. Maybe there's hope yet that the good The Looney Tunes Show did in building back from Lunatics can give us something greater in Wabbit, maybe not.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 8, 2015

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I hated the Looney Tunes show because by making it Looney Tunes Seinfeld it got rid of a lot what made the characters entertaining. Bugs became the most bland of characters, Porky a walking doormat and Daffy was an irredeemable rear end in a top hat.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The weirdest thing about The Looney Tunes Show was how they barely used Elmer Fudd despite him being one of the most iconic characters, when they could have easily had him be the Newman to Bugs' Seinfeld, which was something oddly lacking in the show

Also those really awful CG Wiley and Road Runner shorts that led to neither character being able to be used in the show proper(this show would have been a golden opportunity to bring back the Wile E Coyote Super Genius version of the character)

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Looney Tunes is so established as a brand that people are going to reflexively dislike any changes regardless of the actual quality, even though odds are they haven't actually watched a Looney Tunes short in forever. It's like how nobody really goes to or likes the Hall of Presidents at Disney but any time they try and replace it there's a huge outcry.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Daffy is the best of the Looney Tunes. Duck Dodgers was great, it was the newest thing done with the franchise.

Sonic Boom is basically the same idea as The Looney Tune Show, only it's Sonic being turned into Seinfeld instead. I don't like it as much though, I think the CGI gives it way less versatility, and the writing isn't as up to snuff.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Sleeveless posted:

Looney Tunes is so established as a brand that people are going to reflexively dislike any changes regardless of the actual quality, even though odds are they haven't actually watched a Looney Tunes short in forever. It's like how nobody really goes to or likes the Hall of Presidents at Disney but any time they try and replace it there's a huge outcry.

True, but the Hall of Presidents was never fun. Also, people make a fuss when Disney tries to replace the Hall of Presidents?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Replace the Hall of Presidents? why not just hand the keys to the country over to the communists while we're at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I was more outraged when Back to the Future was removed from Universal, but if I really got to prove I watched a children's cartoon to talk about it in this thread, I'll play your game Sleeveless.

Cecil was the true motherfucker of this show, Taz being some weird Dog was a waste of what his character had become over the years even if he still rampaged like a crazed animal occasionally, Bugs was de-Mickey Moused around Season 2 but by then it was probably too late to get the numbers to keep this show afloat. Daffy, Lola, Daffy's weird new girlfriend duck whats-her-beak, Foghorn Leghorn and Bubbie as Witch Lezah were the only instigators in this show and thus the only characters worth a drat. Speedy was alright but he only existed as another voice of reason when that was supposed to be Bugs? I don't remember most episodes as they were pretty much the same half of a joke of Daffy doing something horrible or Bugs dealing with Lola with little variation. It wasn't the worst thing in the world, but it wasn't strong enough to compete with Adventure Time in its prime, Regular Show or Gumball. Which is probably why the new show is being regulated to Boomerang, their rerun channel.

Hopefully, its good enough to add some variety to the broadcasts of several hours of TTG on regular CN as I'd love this to be the WB version of the new retro Mickey shorts that Disney has been knocking the ball out of the park with.