Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Eh, at least the PA ad is fairly honest about the work environment and doesn't try to hype poo poo up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
It doesn't excuse the stupidity. Why do you need just ONE guy for that? Can they not afford to segment it out so that people can have some semblance of sanity in their day to day lives?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

It doesn't excuse the stupidity. Why do you need just ONE guy for that? Can they not afford to segment it out so that people can have some semblance of sanity in their day to day lives?

Hey, they eat, breathe and sleep the thing they got rich off, so should you (for 35k/year)

bort
Mar 13, 2003

edit: removed

bort fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 31, 2015

Ussr
Sep 17, 2004

Wait, what?

Who we are: A quickly growing education startup. We have a lot of hype and are funded and supported by big names in tech.

What we're looking for:
Senior UX & Senior Visual designers - or a senior full stack designers that can do a little bit of everything - mobile and webapp designing experience is a must. I don't care about banners or advertising experience.
Developers - Python, Angular, full stack developers. Computer science and academic backgrounds are a huge plus.
Product Managers
Mobile - ios or android developers
QA

The Good: Collaborative work environment. Product comes first. Well funded. Successful sales department. No micromanaging. Laid back company culture.

The Bad: Some people may be turned off at the thought of education, but honestly you're making a cool product that makes a difference in the world.

Benefits: Good pay, health benefits, free citibikes, cold brew on tap - they are in the process of expanding our benefits since we're now past series B.

PM me if you're interested and I'll send you a link to all the JDs. Just let me know what you're looking for.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Gentlemen, what are the best job sites to put your resume out to? I've been using dice.com and Career Builder, but I want to diversify my interests.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Vargatron posted:

Gentlemen, what are the best job sites to put your resume out to? I've been using dice.com and Career Builder, but I want to diversify my interests.

Linkedin and Indeed are good ideas.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

Vargatron posted:

Have you created a StackOverflow profile and uploaded your resume there? I think that's a thing.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Linkedin and Indeed are good ideas.

This with Craigslist and going to actual career pages of companies you think are cool.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Thanks guys, I'll follow that advice.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

We're working on putting together a req for another Security Engineer, which we desperately need. See this post for particulars about the company/team in general.

Position
Network Security Engineer/Consultant

Requirements
-Solid foundation in Cisco R&S
-Experience with ASA, Sourcefire, ISE, Palo Alto, or Splunk (general knowledge of all of them would be great, but we'd probably settle for expertise in one or two)
-CCNP of some sort (We're a Cisco partner, so it does matter), or ability to obtain one super fast
-Security+, CISSP, GIAC, etc. (Something else to put on your resume to impress customers during proposal bidding)
-People skills
-Bonus for scripting, programming, auditing, or penetration testing skills, but these aren't really necessary
-Ability to obtain a security clearance

Additional Information
You'd be working as a security engineer and consultant doing everything from hardware installation, to network design, to security assessments. Local and regional travel is fairly common (weekly), and you can expect domestic travel 2-3 times per year. The flip side to that is that your schedule is incredibly flexible: work from home as much or as little as you want as long as the work is getting done. The security team consists of me and 2 other guys, both of whom are awesome to work with. You'll also occasionally be thrown on traditional route and switch projects as the case may be, and there are opportunities to work in the other communities of practice (wireless, voice, etc.) to broaden your skillset.

Customers include everybody from nonprofits, to traditional commercial customers, to state and local governments, to three letter agencies. You'll see the full spectrum of competence and incompetence in IT in this job, so dealing with the people can be just as difficult as dealing with the solution itself. Consulting being what it is, you have to be comfortable with starting almost every project knowing nothing about the environment you'll be working in. With that being said, it's a great opportunity to learn (I've learned more in my 6 months here than I have in probably the last 4 years of working in IT) and tackle some challenging problems.

I put additional information about the company in the post linked at the top of this one, so click on that for more info. Feel free to PM me with any other questions ranging from quality of life to culture.

Compensation, etc
Again, check the link at the top for a full list. The pay is very competitive, and the rest of the benefits are good.

PM me if you're interested.

psydude fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 31, 2015

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Hope this is the right thread for this.

I’m an EU citizen currently living in London, and I’m considering emigrating to the United States. Now obviously this would be a pretty major project. The biggest issue would be the visa.

I’m a software engineer with more than ten years of experience, having most recently spent over two years on big data projects. I’m looking for, ideally, Silicon Valley, but will consider other places as well.

From what I can gather, my most likely US visa options would be the following:

a) H1B: requires a bunch of luck to get (since they run out fast each year). Not sure how exactly this works - I think the big companies will apply for a bunch of these each year, then deal them out later to promising candidates; meanwhile smaller companies would have few or none available.

b) L1: need to work for the company’s London office for at least a year before this becomes possible.

c) All the other options are less likely: have a lot of money to found a company with; get a short-time student visa or internship visa; or be a famous professor or such.

Assuming I find a company to sponsor my visa, the next thing to worry about would be a green card. This seems like something I’d want clearly stated on the contract ("company agrees to start green card process immediately"). Apparently if I end up changing employers for whatever reason (such as getting laid off), with an L1 visa I’m screwed, while with an H1B I can change to a different employer but with the caveat that my green card process gets reset as well, if I’m understanding this right.

Are there any other feasible visa options for me besides H1B and L1? Anything else I need to know? Any good sources?

I can provide more details if that helps (probably via PM). On that note, if someone wants to hire me, please send me a PM as well. :)

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
edit out

xie fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 11, 2015

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
There are some openings for tech support in my department, and while I'm not the hiring manager, I figure I'll throw the details out and see what happens. I'd prefer not to give the company name out here (large company), but PM me your details and I can send you the actual posting once I know more about you and think you have a chance of getting an interview.

Position
Tier 1 tech support for a single network security product of one multiple products we support. The product you end up with depends on the experience you have.

St Paul, MN. There are similar jobs around the world, but I'm trying to fill my department.

Requirements
This is intended as an entry level job, and for a product you're likely not familiar with. Basic knowledge of networking topics like knowing how DNS, DHCP, TCP, etc work is going to help you get through the interview, SQL/Unix/scripting/security experience will be useful, but we're not looking for much more than a computer science or similar degree will teach you to start. As long as you're smart enough to know how to figure out the answers to things you don't know by yourself, you'll do fine.

Additional Information
It's all phone / email / remote session support, so English communication skills are required. Since you'll work on a single product you could get to a point in as soon as a year where other people have left for the dev team, gone to manage the product for one of your customers, went to some niche role in the company you were really interested in, etc.

Compensation, etc
Up to the the hiring manager. My starting wages were average for the area and my experience, and if you do well enough you'll be rewarded well during the yearly reviews.

vsh-kb
Nov 6, 2005
Looking for someone familiar with QuickBase as a database. We use it to track our product from start to shipping in Irvine, Ca.

ann disaster
Jan 27, 2007
Garbage and dogs are not part of a balanced diet.
Thtthyhmmmyhmyhmhyhyhyhymhg
Hhuhyyyygygymgjjmnngrggghh
H

ann disaster
Jan 27, 2007
Garbage and dogs are not part of a balanced diet.
G fhfbrbveergrgrvefgggtf rrttbgrftgt ghtvbgm

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Job Seeker:
My experience: 1.5 years doing software and hardware support on windows PCs, phones, servers, and printers. I know a little bit of Powershell, but my current work environment doesn't permit scripts.
What I'm looking for: A Jr. systems administrator role / T2 help desk
What I'm NOT looking for: Scripted helpdesk, field technician, dedicated printer support.
Where I live: Fort Collins, CO
Where I'm looking: Fort Collins - Loveland - Longmont - Boulder (Longmont and Boulder would require enough pay to afford breaking my lease).
When I can start: Early October, need to confirm exact contract end date with my current employer.
Requirements: Health insurance, full time.
Can be reached via: thread, eargesplitten(The abbreviation for Something Awful)@yahoo.com

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

ann disaster posted:

Thtthyhmmmyhmyhmhyhyhyhymhg
Hhuhyyyygygymgjjmnngrggghh
H

ann disaster posted:

This job posting is STILL better than that one from rogue.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

ann disaster posted:

Does the come with health insurance? :ohdear:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Job Seeker:

My experience: 4 years performing help desk support troubleshooting PC hardware / software, Apple hardware / software, using Active Directory to modify group permissions, deploy software, reset passwords, and extend/re-activate expired network accounts, and initiated remote sessions to upgrade software, check driver configurations, and perform system maintenance.

What I'm looking for: A junior systems administrator / network engineering role or a higher tier help desk position to extend current skills as well as learn new ones.

What I'm NOT looking for: Entry-level help desk, minimum-wage data entry

Where I live: Wilkes-Barre, PA

Where I'm looking: A 25 mile radius in and around Wilkes-Barre (Scranton, Moosic, Pittston, Duryea, Wyoming, Kingston, etc)

When I can start: Immediately

Requirements: Preferably full-time positions with health insurance. Can also do contractor positions that lead into full-time positions.

Can be reached via: thread, PM, or email (garethlegacy at gmail dot com)

I'm posting here on the recommendation I received in this thread I made in BFC. I'm in the process of redesigning my resume while looking for further work in the IT field and if anyone here can give me advice as to how to best showcase my 20+ years of working with PCs, I would be grateful as I've already received some great advice in the BFC thread.

My resume (work in progress): https://www.dropbox.com/s/6pbgzb8fqgyp5l6/Updated%20Resume.doc?dl=0. Current feedback suggests the Skills pane on the right hand side is amateurish and not needed and that my Objective Summary can be more concise and to the point.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Job Seeker

My experience: Three years of full stack ASP.NET with C#(and VB.NET!) in both the MVC and forms worlds. jQuery & knockout or Angular, I'm your huckleberry. I've also done some work with Kentico so I know how to work with and extend a CMS if that floats your boat. I've helped DBAs and worked on some nosql - ElasticSearch. Lately, I've been big on pushing for automation and build engineering to smooth things along, and I've trained a team to use git earlier this year. Grunt is also some cool stuff.

What I'm looking for: Full stack web dev, back end web dev; applications development would be a fun change of pace. Any team that wants someone to set up jenkins or teamcity, or who knows git well enough to own the build and take care of nasty merges.

What I'm NOT looking for: Heart-of-gold dev shops.

Where I live: Austin, Texas.

Where I'm looking: Austin TX.

When I can start: Immediately.

Requirements: Full time direct hire, or a contract at a commensurate rate.

Can be reached via: thread, PM, or email (c_harmon at hotmail dot com).

I just moved here for a great position, but my employer fell on hard times - every contract they bid for was rejected and they only have half of the line of credit they had the last time this happened, so the newest guys got let go. Being the newest hire, here I am!

The CEO and any member of my former team will happily be a reference and corroborate the situation.

Space Whale fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Sep 20, 2015

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
While we're scratching our heads on job apps:

Wanted: .NET / C# Developer with a heart of gold

quote:

Call us idealists, but we don’t think it’s too much to ask...

We're looking for hard working C# / .NET developers with a curious mind and a servant's heart.

We’re building an elite team of web technologists and support engineers, fit to serve the top 10% of the worlds highest grossing companies.
This is no brochure site/Wordpress shop. We’re helping $500M - $10B companies deploy, enhance, and support Sitecore, the most advanced and highly rated .NET web content management and digital marketing platform in the industry.
This is not a playground, and you will not be coddled. We’re creating a work environment designed to nourish us, and to continually challenge us to humble ourselves and work towards greater levels of emotional intelligence, self-awareness, and self-actualization.

Seems a bit odd - or is it just me?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It sounds more like a cult than a job

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Space Whale posted:

Didn't Heavens Gate do web design and IT work?

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

covener posted:

Didn't Heavens Gate do web design and IT work?

chupacabron
Oct 30, 2004

Cross-post from the Jobs thread in BFC:
We don't really care where you are, as long as you're driving distance to Long Beach 'cause we have in-person meetings every once in a blue moon.
Industry: Web Dev/e-commerce

Opening: Front End Developer
Here's the CL ad, which isn't entirely accurate, because the job is more development and less design: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/sof/5196979647.html

Basically what we're looking for is somebody that is better than average with Javascript and knows their way around front end frameworks like Bootstrap and jQuery. We're a git shop and also looking at using react.js for new stuff, so some experience with that is a definite plus. Even better if you know enough about design to make things not ugly. The job boils down to half bug fixing and half feature implementation, so it's fairly interesting.

The bad? Well, we work with a client in the midwest, so the hours are a little earlier than most places. I'm typically working from 7:30 to 3 or 4.

Oh, yeah, it's 100% telecommute too, so that's pretty cool. Shoot me an email at neteffectshiring@gmail.com with a resume and github profile.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Space Whale posted:

While we're scratching our heads on job apps:

Wanted: .NET / C# Developer with a heart of gold

Sounds like another "I hope you love your job because we aren't paying you poo poo"

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

A guy I went to high school with is very religious and runs his own three man programming company, he would probably be a good target for that job listing.

This is like that brogramming* phenomenon, brogrammers are going to work best with other brogrammers, and heart of gold programmers aren't going to keep beer stocked in the fridge, and probably look down on you if you drink a pint of beer at lunch. Different strokes for different folks.

*I hate to use the word brogrammer

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Hadlock posted:

A guy I went to high school with is very religious and runs his own three man programming company, he would probably be a good target for that job listing.

This is like that brogramming* phenomenon, brogrammers are going to work best with other brogrammers, and heart of gold programmers aren't going to keep beer stocked in the fridge, and probably look down on you if you drink a pint of beer at lunch. Different strokes for different folks.

*I hate to use the word brogrammer

Doors that sigh when you walk in might not be so lame, though.

OTOH beer makes irritating debugging a lot less irritating, and liquor more so.

I already miss my last job :smith:

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

jaete posted:

Hope this is the right thread for this.

I’m an EU citizen currently living in London, and I’m considering emigrating to the United States. Now obviously this would be a pretty major project. The biggest issue would be the visa.

I’m a software engineer with more than ten years of experience, having most recently spent over two years on big data projects. I’m looking for, ideally, Silicon Valley, but will consider other places as well.

From what I can gather, my most likely US visa options would be the following:

a) H1B: requires a bunch of luck to get (since they run out fast each year). Not sure how exactly this works - I think the big companies will apply for a bunch of these each year, then deal them out later to promising candidates; meanwhile smaller companies would have few or none available.

b) L1: need to work for the company’s London office for at least a year before this becomes possible.

c) All the other options are less likely: have a lot of money to found a company with; get a short-time student visa or internship visa; or be a famous professor or such.

Assuming I find a company to sponsor my visa, the next thing to worry about would be a green card. This seems like something I’d want clearly stated on the contract ("company agrees to start green card process immediately"). Apparently if I end up changing employers for whatever reason (such as getting laid off), with an L1 visa I’m screwed, while with an H1B I can change to a different employer but with the caveat that my green card process gets reset as well, if I’m understanding this right.

Are there any other feasible visa options for me besides H1B and L1? Anything else I need to know? Any good sources?

I can provide more details if that helps (probably via PM). On that note, if someone wants to hire me, please send me a PM as well. :)

I'm in exactly the same position as Jaete, almost word for word except replace "Software Engineer" with "Networking/Windows Server guy", have CCNP and MCSA
Let me know if you get any good info! and if anyone has a suitable job (ideally California)

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 7, 2015

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe

El Mike-o posted:

Cross-post from the Jobs thread in BFC:
We don't really care where you are, as long as you're driving distance to Long Beach 'cause we have in-person meetings every once in a blue moon.
Industry: Web Dev/e-commerce

Opening: Front End Developer
Here's the CL ad, which isn't entirely accurate, because the job is more development and less design: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/sof/5196979647.html

Basically what we're looking for is somebody that is better than average with Javascript and knows their way around front end frameworks like Bootstrap and jQuery. We're a git shop and also looking at using react.js for new stuff, so some experience with that is a definite plus. Even better if you know enough about design to make things not ugly. The job boils down to half bug fixing and half feature implementation, so it's fairly interesting.

The bad? Well, we work with a client in the midwest, so the hours are a little earlier than most places. I'm typically working from 7:30 to 3 or 4.

Oh, yeah, it's 100% telecommute too, so that's pretty cool. Shoot me an email at neteffectshiring@gmail.com with a resume and github profile.

Emailed!

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

While we're on the subject of weird job postings:

quote:

Benefits: Vacation Pay / Holiday Pay / Health / Medical Care / Prescription Drugs / Paid Jury Duty / Paid Sick Leave/ 401(k )plan.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

awesomebrah posted:

I tend to do my best work after taking a couple Oxys balanced with an Adderall for concentration.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Vargatron posted:

I tend to do my best work after taking a couple Oxys balanced with an Adderall for concentration.

This is the next step for startups isn't it? It started with free soda, then beer, and soon there will be little medicine cabinets packed with modafinil all throughout the open office environment.

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe

awesomebrah posted:

There is a greater than 95% chance that this is referring to help paying for the medication(s) your doctor(s) prescribe(s) you

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

it is posted:

There is a greater than 95% chance that this is referring to help paying for the medication(s) your doctor(s) prescribe(s) you

Separate from having fun with the unconventional way it's phrased, "Health / Medical Care / Prescription Drugs" is a weird enumeration.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TopherCStone posted:

This is the next step for startups isn't it? It started with free soda, then beer, and soon there will be little medicine cabinets packed with modafinil all throughout the open office environment.

Lame sauce, I'm launching a startup that will operate on pure meth over international waters.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Lmao y'all were right. Wanted to offer me 20k less than my last job.

Still on the phone with him but guess how interested I am.

Rofl

kloa posted:

Sounds like another "I hope you love your job because we aren't paying you poo poo"

"Opportunity"

"Stepping stone"

What a douche.

Oh god now going on about servants heart and CHARACTER TEST.

Space Whale fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
So this guy wants to have a very rigorous process of selection, where you have a coding test, a math logic test, then you have lunch with them, then he talks about how they don't even try to match the market, and he talked about how the market is overvaluing developers.

And a character test.

Holy poo poo.