Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Alain Post posted:

He is a smoldering heap of bones at the bottom of the ocean.

Because the rising phoenix Quiet doesn't need them, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That high accuracy score is really helping you out.

According to the guide the accuracy bonus goes up exponentially for getting scores above 100% :getin:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yardbomb posted:

I thought a kickass translady sniper woulda been neat :(

Same. A dick the size of a pringles can.

Alain Post posted:

Hideo is really good with woman characters so I definitly would like him to tackle the issue of a transgender character. He would definitely do a good job.

I agree entirely.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 6, 2015

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Hideo is really good with woman characters so I definitely would like him to tackle the issue of a transgender character. He would definitely do a good job.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

OneDeadman posted:

it's true chico is dead.

Looks like someone hasn't unlocked the hidden endgame cutscene in the R&D strut- Chico is Snake, after the real Big Boss died in the helicopter explosion.

(no, not really. Such is the game that this disclaimer is needed.)

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

What the gently caress? I was doing Mission 13 and I was just riding D-Horse through a field to a checkpoint, and the screen went fuzzy and suddenly decided that I was at the oil facility and I had pressed the button to turn the power off. It teleported me there and played the cutscene and everything,

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Post-first ending comment Where should we put this ludicrously destructive nightmare corpse? On a tarp in the open air in the middle of afghanistan's most often infiltrated base? OK sounds good. No wonder these guys lost the cold war

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

El Hefe posted:

Mission 12 is so good

drat this game is amazing

I just finished this and let me tell you how amazing that was.

Alabaster White posted:

What the gently caress? I was doing Mission 13 and I was just riding D-Horse through a field to a checkpoint, and the screen went fuzzy and suddenly decided that I was at the oil facility and I had pressed the button to turn the power off. It teleported me there and played the cutscene and everything,

I fulton'd a guy 15 feet away by shooting him with my Tranq Pistol once.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cerepol posted:

This is incorrect.

You will want at least 13,520 in order to develop everything that wants it!
Source: Guidebook

I realize this was from a while ago I just don't want to many people to sell off large amounts of it than realize they need it later.

The final rank CGM launcher takes 4000 to develop and 200 to deploy. So definitely save your precious metals if you want to have homing cluster missile fun times.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think the upgraded stealth camo takes like 10K but stealth camo is lame and for dishonorable gamers.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Alain Post posted:

I think the upgraded stealth camo takes like 10K but stealth camo is lame and for dishonorable gamers.

:vince:

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
I'm really, really impressed by how defiantly the story is its own thing. I was worried that it was gonna be the Big Boss version of MGS4, a big celebration for the wikipedian loremasters. NOPE just a horrible parade of human cruelty and degradation. I mean there's a Metal Gear and a Snake in it but it absolutely stands on its own. The last mission I did was Blood Runs Something (the child soldiers in the mine one) and it's barely connected to Cipher and all that but it's just ruthlessly compelling.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Alain Post posted:

Hideo is really good with woman characters so I definitely would like him to tackle the issue of a transgender character. He would definitely do a good job.

Honestly I kind of would've accepted this too, just to see how catastrophically (If at all, not holding my breath) he'd handle it.

Dandywalken posted:

Same. A dick the size of a pringles can.

:q:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 6, 2015

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

The game has so many ways to break it so it's easy as gently caress that yeah the stealth camo's pretty sad.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Stealth camo is undeniably going to make for some funny videos of people loving with the AI, so I am glad it exists.

It locks you out of a S-rank anyways.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

swamp waste posted:

I'm really, really impressed by how defiantly the story is its own thing. I was worried that it was gonna be the Big Boss version of MGS4, a big celebration for the wikipedian loremasters. NOPE just a horrible parade of human cruelty and degradation. I mean there's a Metal Gear and a Snake in it but it absolutely stands on its own. The last mission I did was Blood Runs Something (the child soldiers in the mine one) and it's barely connected to Cipher and all that but it's just ruthlessly compelling.

This is true. I am disappointed at the density of story, but the things they have decided to do have been impressive.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

swamp waste posted:

the game's portrayal of Africa as basically this lovely war-torn, polluted place with western industry feeding off it is really, really depressing and also good

Funky Britches
Aug 22, 2009

Alain Post posted:

the game's portrayal of Africa as basically this lovely war-torn, polluted place with western industry feeding off it is really, really depressing and also good

Same with Mujahideen vs Russians in Afghanistan.

Also you can find guards in Africa having conversations about the state of apartheid and it's pretty rad.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
by the way, I highly recommend going into the settings and turning the weapons display to "aiming only". open world games similar to MGSV have a habit of putting a ton of poo poo onto the screen, and it's pretty refreshing how functional MGSV feels with almost no UI

e) I think FarCry 2, which this game sometimes reminds me of (in a good way), had just contextual UI, so that's nice.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 6, 2015

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So I'm curious, does quiet's body paint have any effect whatsoever? Or is it paying 5k/mission to make her the prettiest butterfly of all?

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Immediately after you let Quiet on MB, is there a way into her cell

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Omi no Kami posted:

So I'm curious, does quiet's body paint have any effect whatsoever? Or is it paying 5k/mission to make her the prettiest butterfly of all?

It makes the guards go whoa..!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

So after mission 25, an epidemic has spread on Mother Base and Ocelot has asked me to look into it. Am I actually meant to go around Mother Base and look at my soldiers, or is this just a thing that will happen until I make story progress?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

How do you deploy the battle gear to combat missions. It said I could but I have no idea how

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 6, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just unlocked grenade launchers but haven't used them yet. Do they only fire actual big boy grenades or can I shoot smoke grenades then punch people?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Manatee Cannon posted:

So after mission 25, an epidemic has spread on Mother Base and Ocelot has asked me to look into it. Am I actually meant to go around Mother Base and look at my soldiers, or is this just a thing that will happen until I make story progress?

you should try to solve this yourself, but you can figure it out from the mother base management screen

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
In my wildest dreams modding takes off and someone adds mujahideen to afghanistan. I want something like MGS4 with two sides clashing against each other and Snake being a third party.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RBA Starblade posted:

I just unlocked grenade launchers but haven't used them yet. Do they only fire actual big boy grenades or can I shoot smoke grenades then punch people?

there are smoke/stun/sleep launchers that can be researched, yeah.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

haha D-Walker's chainguns murder armored skulls in about one second

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Alain Post posted:

you should try to solve this yourself, but you can figure it out from the mother base management screen

I just wanted to make sure I was actually meant to look into this. Thanks.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

lets hang out posted:

the Brennan rifle (first one unlocked) takes all armor off with 1 shot, then 2 more to the head and :rip:

made that fight pretty easy

Funky Britches
Aug 22, 2009

lets hang out posted:

Quiet's antimaterial rifle also 2shots them.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

How do you deploy the battle gear to combat missions. It said I could but I have no idea how

It only deploys to the main missions (the ones with a yellow dot) and only after you have completed 3 or 4 of them.

edit: should probably spoiler that.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

It only deploys to the main missions (the ones with a yellow dot) and only after you have completed 3 or 4 of them.

edit: should probably spoiler that.

Oh sorry, wasn't thinking. Thank you.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Augus posted:

Your soldiers are gonna have to clean that car. I hope you're proud

I was doing the mission where you extract the British prisoners (and optionally the Afrikaans interpreter) in Africa. when the guys got out of their car, I jumped inside, ran over the guard, then put his dead body in the passenger seat and the two prisoners in the back and extracted the car.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

CJacobs posted:

some days, you go, through the rain

some days, you feed, on a

I'm extremely jealous of my mook codenamed Pirate Dragon

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Mission 23 was tight. Very fun fight.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Funky Britches posted:

What bosses are you having trouble with?

Late game spoilers. Also mid-game spoilers. This is going to be a huge black wall, sorry but I'd like to vent. Also, my solutions might save someone else some loving time. Just FYI, these all concern the fights with [spoilers]the skulls[/spoilers].

I've been cruising through the missions (for the most part), but the god drat skulls just thrashed me for hours on end. I had been saving my GMP at that point, and honestly I probably just kept re-trying more than is mentally healthy. The skulls require a very nearly perfect run, on extreme you go into crit near instantly, you stay there for a long loving time, and those magic rocks hey hurl will kill you in one hit unless you are well away from them, in which case you will be in instant dark red crit and they pull out a machine gun and then you die. or you'll move the camera just in time to see one materialize and ninja cut you with a machete. (This is a one hit usually, but in the battle dress with Bandana I was able to absorb one if I hadn't been damaged in a while.) So I decided to hang back, do some side-ops, develop mother base, and get some new gear. I developed the Battle Dress, the bullhorn shotgun, and the bandana, and a new missile launcher, and bee-lined to the airport. In the mission where you need to capture the truck, it starts parked at nova braga airport. You can drive there from the beginning and easily make your way to the truck. If you deploy with a Jeep this is even easier.

So anyway, I figured it was fine, but then the next goddamn fight with the skulls popped up, the one where you're in the heli with Code talker. I ended up using the hanger to gently caress with their AI enough to where they could only slightly maul me instead of just rip me apart every single time. And they can regen their shield! Oh happy day! They did this a handful of times. The Bullhorn is good for doing a nice chunk of damage if they happen to get stunned by quiet's shot. Quiet was occasionally useful, I ended up developing her 'sinful butterfly' in a desperate attempt to find some firepower, but she didn't have it in my successful run. OH. I ALMOST FORGOT. Those fun prompts you get to do on normal where you take their stupid machete from them and stick it in their dumb neck? they're still there! Except now they basically have Dark Souls Parry timing. At least it still gives you a visual. You get really, really good at parrying that loving machete.

crazycarl
Jun 13, 2001

Welcome to TB Diddlers in Mokena.

Where the special is always Dr Rassmusin's Hot Beef Injection and you can play "Whers my Manometer" with other diners

Dangerous Person posted:

Out of curiosity, is there anybody here playing this on Xbox One?

I'm proudly playing MGSV: Awesome Dog Simulator on my XBONE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Hahaha, boy, I'd be real upset at all those hosed up tags if I hadn't spoiled myself on every aspect of this game already.

Anyway, I found out from Mission 6 that the best way to deal with that situation is CQC. It's undeniable, it's almost unfair. Both their machete attacks can be parried and once you do that, they're staggered long enough for you to empty an entire assault rifle clip into their heads, which drops them on the spot. The only trick after that is to keep them from flanking you and stay away whenever they bring out their guns. If you try to get into a war of attrition with them, then the one you're shooting at will just warp away while the other three home in on the sound of your gunfire and rip you to shreds.

• Locked thread