Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mkob
Feb 23, 2013

look at that skill

look at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
Hey man, quit being so elitist. This game is too haaaaaard to beat any other way. Never stop that HSK lock, yo.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

mkob posted:

look at that skill

look at it

This should be an Olympic sport

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Oh wait it's already called the World Cup, and the enemy is doing beautifully

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
HSK is really useful for learning dodge cancel, since it gives you feedback easily, but actually using it makes you really lazy.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

So I've gotten past this LP in my own run of the game (up to the boss of the next stage, specifically). Somewhere during Stage 3 and 4 I finally got a grasp on crowd control using Shoryuken and Air Launch kicks and from there the combat system really clicked for me. I still can't last long Level DIE, but I'd say I'm doing decently (still getting money from continues!) and more importantly having fun.
Thank you, Mike Kob, for teaching me the ways of the God Hand. Let me know when you start writing your auto-biography: I Am Alexander (And So Can You!)

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Update #34

Stage 4-7 & 4-8 Azel boss fight

KMS 4-5 & 4-6
KMS 4-7
KMS 4-8 Azel boss fight

Moveset used

Maps + Azel character sheet

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
That... was quite an ending.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

In case any of you were wondering

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Azel is one of those boss fights that I just had leave a separate save file in order to refight him whoever I want. Dude is so much fun to fight

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Can we actually see the end-of-fight cutscene separately, then?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Guess there went the no-hit run.

Oh well....still entertaining. :allears:

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

mauman posted:

Oh well....still entertaining. :allears:

For the main run, yeah, but it does show off beating Azel much faster than I expected. KMS is still no-hit, which is the more impressive run.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Augus posted:

Azel is one of those boss fights that I just had leave a separate save file in order to refight him whoever I want. Dude is so much fun to fight

I think he's one of the Arena fights? You could just do that over and over i suppose :v:

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
If anything can be called a signature of Clover/Platinum, it's their rival fights. Almost every game has them, they're always a big skill test to see how well you've mastered the game, and they are consistently the most enjoyable fights.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

mauman posted:

dancingbears posted:

For the main run, yeah, but it does show off beating Azel much faster than I expected. KMS is still no-hit, which is the more impressive run.

It seems mkob has thoroughly studied the bible for this one, which means we'll hopefully never be subjected to the sort of tedious, meandering gameplay he'd been uploading thus far and we'll finally witness a truly skilled playthrough. Subscribed.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Storm One posted:

It seems mkob has thoroughly studied the bible for this one, which means we'll hopefully never be subjected to the sort of tedious, meandering gameplay he'd been uploading thus far and we'll finally witness a truly skilled playthrough. Subscribed.

I didn't see a Fist of God unleash, what is this trash gameplay??

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I vaugely recall my thought process on the Trident demon being "Oh god this is so painful" to "Wow that was easier than expected.". Lot of deaths involved to reach that point though :v:

Also yes, Azel Fights are loving sweet even to a Bad like me :buddy: Even if I did basically memorize which breakbles had what items in them :downs: (I also called his rush pummel the Jazz Hands Attack).

Also, :drat: that bullet time demonstration.

tlarn posted:

If anything can be called a signature of Clover/Platinum, it's their rival fights. Almost every game has them, they're always a big skill test to see how well you've mastered the game, and they are consistently the most enjoyable fights.

It helps that they tend to have great soundtracks on top.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I would pick that "let the bodies hit the floor" song but yours was good too.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Could've used some Raiden vs Jetstream Sam.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

tlarn posted:

Oh god I'm looking forward to Nier 2 that much more now! :swoon:

The Trident Demon definitely plays the intimidation game until you learn how to fight him properly. I'd always panic and go God Mode on him before he could do anything. I think I started learning him more in my most recent play.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Amaterasu vs Nine-tails. She can even draw!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

SSNeoman posted:

Amaterasu vs Nine-tails. She can even draw!

I thought Nine-tails was male?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Zain posted:

I thought Nine-tails was male?

Being a shapeshifter, it's kind of hard to tell. Unless they went and modeled a dick on it.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I'm glad we got a sneak-peak into the Lan Di fight, it's been far too long without any news.

Also there's one distinct difference in Azel's moveset in that he can not only dodge, but also block, which is something Gene simply doesn't believe in.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 1, 2015

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Being a shapeshifter, it's kind of hard to tell. Unless they went and modeled a dick on it.

Yeah, very true- But I coulda sworn they used male pronouns with it? But then Ammy was called boy a lot and it was only her other form that was male? Basically Okami is kind of confusing in a lot of respects.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe they do it on purpose? Ami is supposed to be a god so in theory it should be genderless, unless it's the Greek kind of god that liked to have sex.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Zain posted:

Yeah, very true- But I coulda sworn they used male pronouns with it? But then Ammy was called boy a lot and it was only her other form that was male? Basically Okami is kind of confusing in a lot of respects.

She was consistently female on the PS2. There were a few people who referred to her in male pronouns, but that was just because she was a wolf and they didn't care about her gender. Shiranui, her previous incarnation was male IIRC. But Shiranui is suppposed to be the past version of Amaterasu and oh drat now I'm cross-eyed.
On the Wii version (I never played it so this could all be wrong) Ammy was genderless as was Shiranui, but they were inconsistent about it.
Okamiden says Ammy is female and Shirnaui is male. But I don't like bringing it up because Okamiden makes me very sad.

You're otherwise right though, the bestiary refers to Ninetails as "it". I guess it's because Issan kept referring to Ninetails as "that fox wench", although that was in reference to one particular form Ninetails took.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

Zeikier posted:

Oh god I'm looking forward to Nier 2 that much more now! :swoon:

You know what Platinum game I'm looking forward to that had pretty fun rival fights to begin with?

:getin:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

She was consistently female on the PS2. There were a few people who referred to her in male pronouns, but that was just because she was a wolf and they didn't care about her gender. Shiranui, her previous incarnation was male IIRC. But Shiranui is suppposed to be the past version of Amaterasu and oh drat now I'm cross-eyed.
On the Wii version (I never played it so this could all be wrong) Ammy was genderless as was Shiranui, but they were inconsistent about it.
Okamiden says Ammy is female and Shirnaui is male. But I don't like bringing it up because Okamiden makes me very sad.

You're otherwise right though, the bestiary refers to Ninetails as "it". I guess it's because Issan kept referring to Ninetails as "that fox wench", although that was in reference to one particular form Ninetails took.

loving right? It's so hard to follow sometimes in the "Wait who is what now?"

I guess in traditional Japanese folklore Kistune's are often times Female, but those tended to be more benevolent or something. I'm not 100% on this since there's the followers of Inari stuff which were the good Kitsunes. And yeah I really enjoy folklore.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
Kamiya himself has said he sees Amaterasu as genderless. I don't totally get how this is supposed to square with Amaterasu being consistently referred to as a mother (maybe it just refers to her physical form) but that's the statement.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Maybe a difference between Amaterasu, the goddess, and Amaterasu, the wolf avatar, i.e. the stone made flesh? I very much doubt the statue has birthed anything.

Mulgar
Dec 8, 2013
One interesting thing I noticed during the Azel fight my first time through is the fact that instead of falling to the ground after being launched into a wall he instead lands on his feet. This leads to some great combo MAD moments in your KMS run because you don't have to time a Stomping Fist or Heel drop in order to do a pummel on him. Is he the only enemy in the game that does this?

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Yeah that's one property of Azel. Double god hand gene in arena challenge 51 and the gorilla wrestler have it too. And on a side note, for whatever reason, female enemies fall faster after getting launched against a wall, this makes high side kick spam harder since the timing becomes so strict.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
"Those who possess this power are capable of becoming either god or demon" always reminds me of Mazinger, but more on that later :allears:

That slowdown finish is a really cool effect, and I kind of wish they used it on more bosses. Makes a well timed Daisy Cutter all the more satisfying.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
How come you like this fight more instead of the rematch? Is it just because of the slowdown, or do you not like dealing with his extra moves in round 2?

Or did you just mean Azel period is your favorite boss?

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
Thinking about it, it would've been well within their rights to make this unwinnable. Azel's God Hand is completely unrestrained by a Brace like yours, and so he's basically in perpetual God Hand mode. He's got no limit to his roulettes, as the game showed, and he's here to test you, but he really doesn't seem like the sort to hold back. Having him kick your rear end and be untouchable, and leave you laid out on the floor and told to train harder for next time, would've been well within the setup.

I'm really, really glad they didn't do that.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

But I don't like bringing it up because Okamiden makes me very sad.

Is... is it bad?

I had that one on my to-play list for an eternity, since I loved the original Okami. I... I don't want it to be bad. :(

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Torquemadras posted:

Is... is it bad?

I had that one on my to-play list for an eternity, since I loved the original Okami. I... I don't want it to be bad. :(

If you loved the original Okami, yeah. It's not like DMC2 bad, but it's on the wrong side of mediocre. Even if you didn't play Okami, I have a hard time recommending it.

The issue with the game is that it is not really a sequel to Okami. It's essentially retelling the story of Okami only much worse. What do I mean by that? Well see, they reuse Okami's areas only they shrink them harshly. You redo Hana Valley, your first open area is Shinsu Field before going to the forest then to Ryoshima Coast and so on. The areas have been chopped up into pieces and strung together with loading portals. Remember how fun running around Shinsu Field was? Yeah you can't really do that anymore. The game does have its own unique dungeons and the latter parts are its own thing but they aren't anything to write home about. Spirit Tracks' tower has more thought put into its level design than Okamiden ever did.

Storywise, if you were hoping for a continuation of the Adventure Continues ending that Okami had, prepare for massive disappointment. You play as Chibiterasu, the son (?) of Amaterasu (??) who is supposed to stop the demons who reappeared in Nippon (there is a reason for this, sorta, but it's still dumb). Wait, isn't this kind of a gently caress you after all the poo poo you did in Okami? It sure is! Won't I get a shitton of "Oh I did X in Okami and it was much better"? You sure will! Is the game gonna do some rear end in a top hat retcons to keep this crap straight? Yoooouuuu betcha!
Okamiden involves time travel to crowbar its plot along with what happens in the original Okami. You remember how Ammy was more of a wandering helper righting wrongs and getting people to help themselves? Chibi basically shows that those people were loving worthless and he did poo poo for them. It really sucks because it derails several good characters for no good reason.
The game also introduces a ton of kids to join Chibi, usually riding on his back. These guys are alright, except for Kurow. Kurow ends up hijacking the story and essentially shunts Chibi into the background until the ending rolls along.

And then there's the gameplay. I don't know who the bright spark was who made this poo poo, but Capcom decided that this game needed to be way harder. Your draw screen stays open for only 30 seconds, your life bar is WAY smaller, enemies are far more aggressive and your weapons take a lot more effort to level. The worst add-on is the fact that your ink does not regenerate. This is a problem because it minimizes experimentation and slows battles way down. While Okami's powers could be criticized as uninspired(here's one that lets you make fire trails! Now one for water!), they were used in novel ways. Okamiden's powers are more creative, but they are far less useful. You are expected to use your child helper in fights, but...well remember how often you used Issun when you were tiny Ammy? Yeah.
The cherry on top is that your weapons have really weird hit arcs. I don't know if it's the camera or what, but your attacks feel really floaty and imprecise. They cover a much smaller area too. Drawing is also something that doesn't work right. Okami's system wasn't perfect, but this one is way less tolerant of mistakes.
By the way, did I mention that this game is somehow so drat slow! Every dungeon requires you to use your child helper to solve puzzles. Usual Zelda stuff. But they waste so much time with the animation that each room begins to feel like a Tower of Hanoi puzzle. Draw line from mermaid to chest, wait for mermaid to swim to chest, open chest, get key, draw line from mermaid to Chibi, wait for mermaid to swim back, stick key into lock, proceed. The later dungeons get really bad about this.

And to top it off, the game looks really bad. I love Okami because it had incredible poo poo like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJxP4rET4Jw
I made a separate save file just so I could watch that again and again. But the DS hardware can't handle it, so all the cool details are lost and the areas have to be shrunk way down. The divine interventions got it the worst. It just becomes painful to look at because you remember the areas in Okami and they looked so, so much better. And since drawing is such a big part of the game, it's a serious flaw.

poo poo didn't expect this to be so long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

And to top it off, the game looks really bad. I love Okami because it had incredible poo poo like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJxP4rET4Jw

Don't you forget how bad the original Okami looked? :v:

I wish I could be trolling with this image but it was official from Capcom.

• Locked thread