Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

poo poo, some games still have unskippable cutscenes. I will pretty much never play a game twice if I can't skip the cutscenes.

Max Payne 3, baby. The first two games were linear but still fairly sandboxy, with most of the plot being delivered either via quickly-skipped comic book page cut scenes, or done in-game with the player still in control. Then Rockstar took over for the third entry and pushed the whole "playable movie" aesthetic to the forefront. The whole game then became a series of "move to room, watch cutscene" vignettes. The core gameplay is still great, but it takes so much to get to it that it isn't really worth replaying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Sef! posted:

Max Payne 3, baby. The first two games were linear but still fairly sandboxy, with most of the plot being delivered either via quickly-skipped comic book page cut scenes, or done in-game with the player still in control. Then Rockstar took over for the third entry and pushed the whole "playable movie" aesthetic to the forefront. The whole game then became a series of "move to room, watch cutscene" vignettes. The core gameplay is still great, but it takes so much to get to it that it isn't really worth replaying.

gently caress this movie

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You're free to not use them, but Quiet and D-dog in MGSV is are REALLY loving powerful, they absolutely trivialize the game, D-dog basically grants you wallhacks and distract everyone letting you stun or murder them at your leisure, and quiet just annihilates bases like it was nothing, even if you get spotted she can pop the person that spotted you before anything happens.

Poor D-horse just can't compare. :smith:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Alteisen posted:

You're free to not use them, but Quiet and D-dog in MGSV is are REALLY loving powerful, they absolutely trivialize the game, D-dog basically grants you wallhacks and distract everyone letting you stun or murder them at your leisure, and quiet just annihilates bases like it was nothing, even if you get spotted she can pop the person that spotted you before anything happens.

In Mad Max, the harpoon is a great weapon, you can fire it from your car to take out many things... or rather, nearly anything. It's a god-weapon that insta-kills any person you can see, even through windshields (sometimes you have to fire it twice, to rip their car door off). It's great Just Cause 2-ish fun to slingmurder thugs all day, but it has the annoying tendency to end car chases abruptly.

I wanted to tear a wheel off so that the enemy goes flying over a cliff and explodes in a fireball... nah, hit the driver, enemy car putters to a stop. :mad:

It would be like if they gave you the Gravity Gun five minutes in to HL2, or Brand five minutes into Shadow of Mordor. No ammo or requirements, fast reload, always hits if you point vaguely at a thing, insta-kill most targets.

Evilreaver has a new favorite as of 09:43 on Sep 6, 2015

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Alteisen posted:

Can Quiet defecate on my fallen foes? Since pooping on your enemies is goddamned amazing, D-Horse is loving awesome.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Alteisen posted:

D-Horse is the best, no other Buddy can help you carry bodies. Put one on the horse, pick one up yourself , whistle and run away. Really useful when there are people around that can hear your balloons. Quite is awful since you have to grind her rep up, before you can make her stop killing your recruits.

What's dragging MGS 5 down for me is that it does the same thing 4 did when it retconed everything to be explained be nanomachines.
The Ends photosynthesis, The Fears stealth and jumping, The Pains bees all because of parasites. Every weird power in the MGS universe is now explained either by nanomachines or parasites. Everything except for ESP, telekinesis & mediums, those are totally legit and not the cause of some tiny things injected into you body. So only Ocelot, Psycho Mantis & The Sorrow have innate abilities. They could have just left that out and it would have been better, you don't have to explain everything and not everything has to be connected.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm pretty sure 4 retconned Ocelot's supposed supernatural abilities, too. :v:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

John Murdoch posted:

I'm pretty sure 4 retconned Ocelot's supposed supernatural abilities, too. :v:

I thought it was real until it became inconvenient, so he removed the arm and started faking, or do you mean it was all because of Liquids nanomachines or some bullshit?. All this is making me wonder if Silent Hills would even have been good, since over explaining usually kills horror.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Hel posted:

I thought it was real until it became inconvenient, so he removed the arm and started faking, or do you mean it was all because of Liquids nanomachines or some bullshit?. All this is making me wonder if Silent Hills would even have been good, since over explaining usually kills horror.

I thought it was always rear end-pull self-hypnosis and Ocelot was playing the long game or something? But to be honest, I don't really remember for sure. At the very least, I try not to think about MGS4's final ending too much.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
No, Ocelot is so good at tricking at people he tricked himself into being Liquid. His super power is being homoerotic about revolvers, being in love with big boss, and the most secret, super tricksterist agent ever.

MGSV also gives you the best reason to not kill anyone, in that you can force them to join your army (Peacewalker did this as well). Except at a certain it eventually makes you an insane arbiter of skills, where anyone who does not meet your explicit standards is worth little more than a knife in the chest.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

SpookyLizard posted:

MGSV also gives you the best reason to not kill anyone, in that you can force them to join your army (Peacewalker did this as well). Except at a certain it eventually makes you an insane arbiter of skills, where anyone who does not meet your explicit standards is worth little more than a knife in the chest.

I'm half-wondering if this is actually the point given BB's origin story. Getting thrown aside when he stopped being useful and all that.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Big Boss wasnt discarded, he went and up and quit though?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
I have no idea what any of this means. I guess that's what's bringing down whatever you're talking about for me.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

I'm half-wondering if this is actually the point given BB's origin story. Getting thrown aside when he stopped being useful and all that.
it's insanely cool that, in a series that traditionally rewards you for taking the non-lethal option, Phantom Pain starts out by emphasising it more than ever and the deeper you get into the story and the more crazy and revenge-obsessed and generally evil the Diamond Dogs get, the lethal option becomes more and more either advantageous or at least not punished

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, the game doesn't punish you for a lethal approach so much as put more rewards into the non-lethal side of it. It's a small distinction but if I vastly prefer that sort of thing in a game - if you're loud and noisy then enemies adapt to give you a more challenge on that front, rather than the game just deciding to slap you with failure states and so on. Dishonoured did the same thing IIRC.

SpookyLizard posted:

Big Boss wasnt discarded, he went and up and quit though?

I'm unclear on the details admittedly but I was under the impression BB became incredibly disillusioned with soldiers being used as tools for causes they had no stake in, something that was exacerbated during the events of Snake Eater. It's the only MGS I've not played though so I'm quite happy to be corrected there.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Part of the problem is that Dishonored didn't originally have the lethal/non-lethal divide, it was just all lethal. Which a. fits into the themes better and b. Explains why a lethal run has so many more tools.

I strongly recommend that everyone try a Mostly Flesh and Steel/high-chaos run, it lets you really use all these weapons and tools you usually skip, and the levels become a lot longer and more interesting.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Originally, but Knife of Dunwall gave chokedust, which fits into the same niche as the flashbombs of Thief. Knife of Dunwall fixes alot of issues with the original Dishonored. The storytelling and characters are also better, and Daud actually has a bit of agency in him.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

Originally, but Knife of Dunwall gave chokedust, which fits into the same niche as the flashbombs of Thief. Knife of Dunwall fixes alot of issues with the original Dishonored. The storytelling and characters are also better, and Daud actually has a bit of agency in him.
Yeah, it's good, and it makes me hopeful that Dishonored 2 will improve a lot on the original.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The slow-loading Game Over screen in Symphony of the Night is a pain, because it's a game that by its very nature requires a lot of trial and error and exploration and thus, you will die often enough for it to be frustrating that there's no quick way to restart. I imagine this was primarily a function of the game engine and the PSX's load times and so on, but maybe they could have tweaked it for the downloadable version.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, the game doesn't punish you for a lethal approach so much as put more rewards into the non-lethal side of it. It's a small distinction but if I vastly prefer that sort of thing in a game - if you're loud and noisy then enemies adapt to give you a more challenge on that front, rather than the game just deciding to slap you with failure states and so on. Dishonoured did the same thing IIRC.

I'm unclear on the details admittedly but I was under the impression BB became incredibly disillusioned with soldiers being used as tools for causes they had no stake in, something that was exacerbated during the events of Snake Eater. It's the only MGS I've not played though so I'm quite happy to be corrected there.

Big Boss pretty much developed that entire mentality in snake eater and it finalized in killing the boss. The timeline is a little screwy after that as its being retconned in progress, as we speak, in phantom pain and peacewalker and stuff. He ultimately starts the first PMC for soldiers, by soldiers, which sort of stands at odds with soliders being used by things they have no stake in, but fits with his issues of loyalty to his fellow soldiers and loyalty to his country.

Peacewalker mixed the themes with balloon-napping men and fighting dinosaurs and taking beach dates with your best friend/XO.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Evilreaver posted:

In Mad Max, the harpoon is a great weapon, you can fire it from your car to take out many things... or rather, nearly anything. It's a god-weapon that insta-kills any person you can see, even through windshields (sometimes you have to fire it twice, to rip their car door off). It's great Just Cause 2-ish fun to slingmurder thugs all day, but it has the annoying tendency to end car chases abruptly.

I wanted to tear a wheel off so that the enemy goes flying over a cliff and explodes in a fireball... nah, hit the driver, enemy car putters to a stop. :mad:

It would be like if they gave you the Gravity Gun five minutes in to HL2, or Brand five minutes into Shadow of Mordor. No ammo or requirements, fast reload, always hits if you point vaguely at a thing, insta-kill most targets.

Hold the aim button (LB on xbox) and you can aim anywhere on the car. Every convoy I fight leaves behind 6 mooks missing a single wheel.

Later in the game it's harder to rip things off and you're going to praise every time you can tag a fool through the windshield. You get drowned in enemy cars.

Inzombiac has a new favorite as of 20:13 on Sep 6, 2015

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FactsAreUseless posted:

Part of the problem is that Dishonored didn't originally have the lethal/non-lethal divide, it was just all lethal. Which a. fits into the themes better and b. Explains why a lethal run has so many more tools.

I strongly recommend that everyone try a Mostly Flesh and Steel/high-chaos run, it lets you really use all these weapons and tools you usually skip, and the levels become a lot longer and more interesting.

A high chaos Dishonored run is some of the most fun I've ever had in a video game. Stopping time and sticking a wire mine on some guards face and having it go off when time starts again never, ever gets old. Sticking swords in peoples faces, chopping heads off and zapping motherfuckers into dust is just so satisfying.

I also loved how the "nonlethal" options are hands down a million times worse than just killing your target. I'd rather get a knife shoved into my eye then get sent to Friend Zone Rape Island or having my tongue ripped out and sent to a mine.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Shower With Your Dad Simulator 2015 falls into the trap of almost every other remotely irreverent video game where it makes a bunch of bland potshots at the video game industry while also gleefully participating in it and making money off of it. Like, if you're mad enough about Steam Greenlight being broken and Valve not exercising enough quality control on titles to litter your games with references to and potshots at it maybe don't also participate in it "ironically" in the name of raking in that Bad Rats money.

Also trying to get people to think that your game is Frog Fractions 2 by putting a bunch of references to Frog Fractions in your game in the name of driving up sales and generating buzz is kind of a lovely thing to do.

Sleeveless has a new favorite as of 00:15 on Sep 7, 2015

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

All right, Kiefer in MGSV: Dude never speaks. Big Boss is silent for what seems like 80% of the game, almost making him a silent protagonist. Someone asks him a question and he doesn't answer, instead the character speaking to him answers himself, making all character interactions with Boss feel really odd. There aren't even grunts when he falls down or gets shot at or anything, making it super strange when he talks since you really don't expect that to happen anymore; you start to think of him as a mute without realizing it.

This also gives the character a completely different feel and personality since he won't react to anything and seems devoid of emotion, hell, he seems confused all the time, as if he's scared to ask anything so he won't seem stupid. It makes me wonder why they changed the voice actor if they didn't have the funds to make him voice the entire game.

There is however the notable exception of tapes, of which there are plenty of and he DOES ask questions in those. I guess doing mocap and voice acting at the same time turned out to be the super expensive part?

So basically, Kiefer Sutherland being expensive turned out to be the thing dragging the game down. Which is something I really didn't expect.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

smuh posted:

All right, Kiefer in MGSV: Dude never speaks. Big Boss is silent for what seems like 80% of the game, almost making him a silent protagonist. Someone asks him a question and he doesn't answer, instead the character speaking to him answers himself, making all character interactions with Boss feel really odd. There aren't even grunts when he falls down or gets shot at or anything, making it super strange when he talks since you really don't expect that to happen anymore; you start to think of him as a mute without realizing it.

This also gives the character a completely different feel and personality since he won't react to anything and seems devoid of emotion, hell, he seems confused all the time, as if he's scared to ask anything so he won't seem stupid. It makes me wonder why they changed the voice actor if they didn't have the funds to make him voice the entire game.

There is however the notable exception of tapes, of which there are plenty of and he DOES ask questions in those. I guess doing mocap and voice acting at the same time turned out to be the super expensive part?

So basically, Kiefer Sutherland being expensive turned out to be the thing dragging the game down. Which is something I really didn't expect.

I think it might actually be this. Naked Snake...did not seem like the sharpest knife in the drawer in MGS3, I admit I haven't played 5 yet though.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

smuh posted:

Famous voice actors have a tendency to drag a game's down, Oblivion's a famous example.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Your Gay Uncle posted:

having my tongue ripped out and sent to a mine.

There was something dragging this mission down. The fact that it didn't make much sense.

You talk to Daniel Day Lewis, you give him a safecode you interrogate from a third aristocrat, and he agrees to kidnap two other aristocrats.

Except. How?

How can some crime boss simply kidnap a pair of aristocrats from a heavily guarded bordello? Slackjaw has no special powers, this is not something he can pull off himself. At the very least, the game should have inserted an extra objective: knock out the pair, deposit them in a dumpster for retrieval by Slackjaw.

And then there is what Slackjaw was asking for: a safecode. Except if you open it, there's not even that much loot inside, a few hundred gold, certainly not enough to be worth going after members of parliament. Furthermore, you can rob the safe before Slackjaw gets there, and while the game successfully acknowledges it, he doesn't renege on the deal or swear revenge on you along with his two new friends.

In an attempt by the author to cover many bases, it ends up being weak and incoherent.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Kurtofan posted:

Famous voice actors have a tendency to drag a game's down, Oblivion's a famous example.

The only thing about Emperor Picard that dragged the game down was that he died right away.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Morglon posted:

The only thing about Emperor Picard that dragged the game down was that he died right away.

Well yeah, it's a waste of money most of the time.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Since the non-lethal option was added later in development, the option to take out the Pendletons comes across as incredibly half-assed as we don't witness their fate. You can brand the Overseer's face and doom him to a short-life in the slums while Lady Boyle ends god knows where after you kidnap her, but we only indirectly harm the Pendletons. It would have been better if you planted incriminating evidence in the brothel they're in at the time before Slackjaw calls in a friend in the watch.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

smuh posted:

Until I started listening to the tapes, I got the idea that maybe Snake's brain damage led to him not being tremendously capable of talking. He's a bit chattier in Ground Zeroes, and especially silent very early in Phantom Pain, only really starting to talk more when he reunites with Kaz. I suppose it could still hold true; the first mission is mostly him crawling drugged through a hospital, he isn't exactly given good opportunity to adjust.

It's still a shame, though, because I actually quite like Sutherland's Snake. He sounds a lot more jaded and world-weary, with a lot of the tapes making him sound like he's rapidly losing patience with the world around him. I can buy his Snake becoming the Big Boss of the Solid Snake games far better than I could buy Hayter's making the same turn, but so far for me (I just rescued Huey and got sent to Africa) he just hasn't sounded like he's actually making that turn from 'battered idealist' to 'dangerous extremist'. Kaz is doing that, he's arguably gone off the deep end before the game's even started, and Ocelot's keeping the ship running well enough for it to become something terrifying further down the line, but Snake hasn't really launched into villainy in the same way. He feels like the sane one of the team, which is weird since it felt like he was the one that went the craziest.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I also loved how the "nonlethal" options are hands down a million times worse than just killing your target. I'd rather get a knife shoved into my eye then get sent to Friend Zone Rape Island or having my tongue ripped out and sent to a mine.

The worst one is the high overseer, being humilated, ruined and disgraced after you brand him he gets thrown out of the abbey to squalor and you find him reduced to a zombified weeper in a horrifying, disgusting slum later in the game so he's as good as dead anyway. If I was him I'd way prefer getting a knife in the throat then that. I actually decided to do the, uh, 'Non-lethal' options on some of the main targets since they seemed so ghastly they actually fit in with the situation I was creating in my High Chaos run.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Since the non-lethal option was added later in development, the option to take out the Pendletons comes across as incredibly half-assed as we don't witness their fate. You can brand the Overseer's face and doom him to a short-life in the slums while Lady Boyle ends god knows where after you kidnap her, but we only indirectly harm the Pendletons. It would have been better if you planted incriminating evidence in the brothel they're in at the time before Slackjaw calls in a friend in the watch.

Branding the Overseer and releasing the tape of the Lord Regent were pretty rad options. Everyone loving hated the Overseer, and they were all itching for an excuse to get rid of him. The details of the Lord Regent tape was a tad over the top, but it felt like karmic retribution. That level was also really fun in high chaos, the Lord Regent hides out in a safehouse at the top of Dunwall Tower, behind all his defences, and a music box overseer. As you pick off his elite guards, he gets more and more agitated, until he freaks out and hits the alarm without even seeing you. And if you want, you can walk right up to him and unmask yourself.

Lady Boyle wasn't that great even in-universe, the lead writer conceded that she probably would have sweet-talked her way out of there within a week or two. She's a professional socialite and manipulator, Brisby just some chump.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Morglon posted:

tbh seeing a guy appear out of nowhere and murdering him was pretty funny the first time I saw it.

Metro: Last Light needs to stop these scripted encounters where I always end up caught off guard. I've been good at sneaking around everywhere, I'd like to kill my intended targets in peace and not have my controls wrenched away to see this dickhole of an npc run away like they're Carmen Sandiego every goddamn time.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Action Tortoise posted:

tbh seeing a guy appear out of nowhere and murdering him was pretty funny the first time I saw it.

Metro: Last Light needs to stop these scripted encounters where I always end up caught off guard. I've been good at sneaking around everywhere, I'd like to kill my intended targets in peace and not have my controls wrenched away to see this dickhole of an npc run away like they're Carmen Sandiego every goddamn time.

The taking control from the player constantly to force an outcome without using a cutscene is a thing dragging down a lot of modern games, especially when the actions the player character makes during these sequences almost never make sense in context of how you're playing the game.

This is especially irritating in games with stealth elements where you're being a ninja motherfucker checking every corner obsessively as you play, then it wrenches control from you to force the player character to barrel through a doorway in order to get knocked out by an NPC because plot.

Bitch, I just ghosted that entire level and would not in a million years have dived through the doorway like that!

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Action Tortoise posted:

This, and otherwise Borderlands Presequel, how about trying some other approach than "oh no the way is blocked/destroyed/closed, take a detour through this conveniently placed map extension"? Just once, it would be nice to go somewhere taking the intended route, go in from the main door, switch something on/off and leave through the same entrance. Going across roofs, service hatches or scaffolding gets really loving old when the door slams shut right in front of you for the fifteenth time during the story missions.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

This, and otherwise Borderlands Presequel, how about trying some other approach than "oh no the way is blocked/destroyed/closed, take a detour through this conveniently placed map extension"? Just once, it would be nice to go somewhere taking the intended route, go in from the main door, switch something on/off and leave through the same entrance. Going across roofs, service hatches or scaffolding gets really loving old when the door slams shut right in front of you for the fifteenth time during the story missions.
It's especially stupid because it's totally possible for the player to be playing as or with a machine made to open doors.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

smuh posted:

All right, Kiefer in MGSV: Dude never speaks. Big Boss is silent for what seems like 80% of the game, almost making him a silent protagonist.
Yes very much this. I've played the game for like 14 hours over the weekend, and I absolutely can't recall what his voice even sounds like. Occasionally he pipes up and I only recognize him as Snake by process of elimination because he doesn't sound like either of the other two.

Mind you I also tend to think of Kaz and Ocelot as "English Saints Row boss" and "awesome Saints Row boss" so take that for what it's worth.

Cleretic posted:

Kaz is doing that, he's arguably gone off the deep end before the game's even started
For real, I was listening to some briefing tapes driving round the base, and I was like, what the gently caress man, if I meet this guy I'm chucking him off the platform, A++ or not.

It's also much less of a story-focused game than I expected. Not that the gameplay isn't great, but I want to see more stuff like the trippy as hell prologue. I guess it would be more accurate to say that it's a slow burner. And also that I'm bad at it and sneak around bases for hours before making a move :v:

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's especially stupid because it's totally possible for the player to be playing as or with a machine made to open doors.

Or with enough firepower to take out loving tanks but of course you can't take out a single door. There are so few games that just go yeah you have a giant gun/sword/whatever you can take out doors or containers, go nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I like Snake Bauer but I agree that he should talk more. With all the interactions that are in MGS5 it seems a bit strange that you can't blow up bridges and walls with C4. I was so sure you'd be able to I booby trapped a bridge and then go to feel stupid when a tank just drove across it.