Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ape Gone Insane
Dec 10, 2010

Does anyone know if there's any way to get windows in OSX to behave more like Windows? I find it really frustrating to open windows and then having them collated into the program icons (or disappear in the case of Finder windows). It's a big hassle when switching between multiple windows. Basically, is there any way of making the 'Minimise' function operate without having to constantly press it? So make the dock give each window its own icon as soon as it is opened rather than each time it is minimised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Install Witch, and command+tab.

Also use cmd+h, and CMD+w as keyboard shortcuts

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Ape Gone Insane posted:

Does anyone know if there's any way to get windows in OSX to behave more like Windows? I find it really frustrating to open windows and then having them collated into the program icons (or disappear in the case of Finder windows). It's a big hassle when switching between multiple windows. Basically, is there any way of making the 'Minimise' function operate without having to constantly press it? So make the dock give each window its own icon as soon as it is opened rather than each time it is minimised.

You should probably look into using Mission Control (ideally bound to a mouse button or gesture) instead of fighting with OS X. It's not Windows, and you won't have a good time trying to make it act like Windows instead of looking to solve the underlying problem in a OS X-y way.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

HyperDock will give you window previews on hover like Windows 7, as well as snapping if you like that. It's $10, but I think it's worth it since it is quite reliable and not very intrusive.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Cmd+tab to switch between windows, cmd+~ to switch between windows in that app. Also stop maximizing everything.

Use expose sure, but it's way slower than keyboard shortcuts.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

carry on then posted:

HyperDock will give you window previews on hover like Windows 7, as well as snapping if you like that. It's $10, but I think it's worth it since it is quite reliable and not very intrusive.

If you only want snapping and don't need the previews, BetterSnapTool is fantastic. I find that between that and multiple desktops my needs are covered.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Granite Octopus posted:

Cmd+tab to switch between windows, cmd+~ to switch between windows in that app. Also stop maximizing everything.

Use expose sure, but it's way slower than keyboard shortcuts.

Once you train yourself to use these commands, it's hard to go back to clicking on the icons at the bottom of the screen. Though it is a bit annoying having to scroll through multiple windows to find the specific one your want, but expose alleviates that a bit. That's my only gripe with such a system.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Ape Gone Insane posted:

Does anyone know if there's any way to get windows in OSX to behave more like Windows?
Nope. I learned to love mission control binded to a two finger double tap on a magic mouse :shepface:

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

illBilliam posted:

Nope. I learned to love mission control binded to a two finger double tap on a magic mouse :shepface:
Mission control: two-finger swipe up
App specific expose: two-finger swipe down
Show desktop: three-finger swipe up

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Bob Morales posted:

Keep all your photos on Flickr or whatever. Google Photos, Amazon Prime Photos, whatever you use.

Back EVERYTHING up on a $5/month unlimited online backup service.

Keep whatever you're working on right now stored on DropBox or whatever.

Then have your Time Machine drive.

Okay, so big picture Time Machine isn't for long-term storage of stuff you don't want to keep on your laptop, it's just for "my laptop got crashed/stolen, I'm hitting the button to dump everything from my last TM sweep onto my new computer" ?

So if I want to have a drive where I keep things long-term that I don't keep on my laptop, I just need to click decline when it asks if I want to format the new drive as Time Machine?

I'm uploading my 6,000 photos to Amazon Cloud now. Just to make sure I'm not totally off here: once I have all those photos securely on Amazon Cloud, and I also have them on an extra drive that, although I have it set up as TM, I don't routinely plug it in so I should be able to just transfer it all to a non-TM drive later. So at this point I should be safe to delete all those photos off my laptop and free up that ton of space?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Okay, so big picture Time Machine isn't for long-term storage of stuff you don't want to keep on your laptop, it's just for "my laptop got crashed/stolen, I'm hitting the button to dump everything from my last TM sweep onto my new computer" ?

So if I want to have a drive where I keep things long-term that I don't keep on my laptop, I just need to click decline when it asks if I want to format the new drive as Time Machine?

I'm uploading my 6,000 photos to Amazon Cloud now. Just to make sure I'm not totally off here: once I have all those photos securely on Amazon Cloud, and I also have them on an extra drive that, although I have it set up as TM, I don't routinely plug it in so I should be able to just transfer it all to a non-TM drive later. So at this point I should be safe to delete all those photos off my laptop and free up that ton of space?

That sounds about right. Although if you use iCloud for storing photos, you can tell Photos.app to optimize space on your machine so you can keep low-res versions of the images on your computer and the library sort of grows and shrinks depending on your free space available. Although that might not be ideal for you.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm too lazy to search back and find Feenix's posts but what's the status of new AMD drivers for a 5k iMac? I wanna play GZ/MGSV and it crashes on load with the current bootcamp drivers. The latest AMD beta fixes it but it obviously doesn't work with a boot camped install.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

coldplay chiptunes posted:

I'm too lazy to search back and find Feenix's posts but what's the status of new AMD drivers for a 5k iMac? I wanna play GZ/MGSV and it crashes on load with the current bootcamp drivers. The latest AMD beta fixes it but it obviously doesn't work with a boot camped install.

I haven't games on BOOTCAMP in a bit but the only way to presently get new 5k iMac drivers is to go to Windows 10. Right?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Can't you just run the AMD driver installer from windows like any other pc? I know I've don that plenty on older macs v

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

Can't you just run the AMD driver installer from windows like any other pc? I know I've don that plenty on older macs v

My understanding is the the Apple GPU has a unique GPUID (or something like that) that doesn't match the supported devices in the official driver.

Possibly because it's driving a 5K display it may be customized from the standard AMD chipset.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I'm trying to share a printer from a mac mountain lion machine to a windows 10 machine, and I'm having some difficulties. Not sure if this is on the mac or windows side of things, kind of both really. Its one of those dirt cheap Brother HL-1110 laser printers. Got it set up on the mac , though it did require a reboot of the mac to get it to recognise the drivers, set it to share. On the Windows 10 side, Installed the bonjour printer util, and sure enough it sees it and offers to let me set it up. The problem is windows doesnt have the drivers by default and the installer for them wont complete unless the printer is plugged in via USB.

Is there a way for me to rig up the mac to serve the drivers to the windows clients, or failing that serve the printer as a generic postscript printer?

edit: Solved it, turns out it already does serve it as a postscript printer. Had to manually tell it not to print color (its not color) but otherwise it seems to work

duck monster fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 2, 2015

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
It will always tell you "error cannot find hardware" (paraphrasing) no matter how clever you try to get installing it.

[Edit] re: the iMac 5k AMD drivers discussion.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

duck monster posted:

I'm trying to share a printer from a mac mountain lion machine to a windows 10 machine, and I'm having some difficulties. Not sure if this is on the mac or windows side of things, kind of both really. Its one of those dirt cheap Brother HL-1110 laser printers. Got it set up on the mac , though it did require a reboot of the mac to get it to recognise the drivers, set it to share. On the Windows 10 side, Installed the bonjour printer util, and sure enough it sees it and offers to let me set it up. The problem is windows doesnt have the drivers by default and the installer for them wont complete unless the printer is plugged in via USB.

Is there a way for me to rig up the mac to serve the drivers to the windows clients, or failing that serve the printer as a generic postscript printer?

edit: Solved it, turns out it already does serve it as a postscript printer. Had to manually tell it not to print color (its not color) but otherwise it seems to work

EDIT: NVM. I can't read.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

flosofl posted:

My understanding is the the Apple GPU has a unique GPUID (or something like that) that doesn't match the supported devices in the official driver.

Possibly because it's driving a 5K display it may be customized from the standard AMD chipset.

It not only has a different device ID, but the stock generic drivers specifically exclude all of Apple's device IDs.

Now, I did install Windows 10 again, using Windows Update, and installed the Boot Camp drivers, and it works now. It may have been a conflict with a pre-Windows 10 version of Macs Fan Control. It's all good now.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
How do you copy a full resolution image out of Photos into the clipboard?

You can't copy the full image, and if you copy the thumbnail you get a low-res version.

The only ways I can find to get it out of there are the share menu and file > export. Both are a pain in the rear end.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Does dragging to Desktop/folders not export full res?

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Does dragging to Desktop/folders not export full res?

Ah yes, it does. Better than what I had! Still not copy/paste but I'll take it. Thanks.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Ah yes, it does. Better than what I had! Still not copy/paste but I'll take it. Thanks.

You can also probably drag straight to wherever it is you're trying to paste...

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Is there a way to switch users (like from the fast switch menu up in the top right) via the keyboard?

Trying to speed up workflow, using keyboard for most things. I constantly switch back and forth between users all the time.
(One account is for getting things done and stops me getting distracted).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

the_lion posted:

Is there a way to switch users (like from the fast switch menu up in the top right) via the keyboard?

Trying to speed up workflow, using keyboard for most things. I constantly switch back and forth between users all the time.

You'll probably have to create an Automator script to do it.

That reminds me, I need to create one to lock the the screen using keychain status icon.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Speaking of the keychain, did someone mention finding Leperdvil on their system here? (I recall seeing it here or some other forum). Just mentioning it cause I saw it mentioned here a few days ago:
http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/09/sneaky-adware-caught-accessing-users-mac-keychain-without-permission/

quote:

Genieo acquires this access by very briefly displaying a message asking for permission to open the Safari extensions and then automatically clicking the accompanying OK button before a user has time to respond or possibly even notice what's taking place. With that, Genieo installs an extension known as Leperdvil.

"What they're basically doing is using provided system calls to get the location of the [permission] window and the location of the OK button in the window," Thomas Reed, Malwarebytes' director of Mac offerings, told Ars. "Then they're simulating a mouse click. I'm surprised nobody thought of that before."

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

the_lion posted:

If you use Alfred with Powerpack (which is awesome), there's this user-switching extension: https://github.com/aiyodk/Alfred-Extensions/tree/master/AlfredApp_2.x/Fast-User-Switching

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GokieKS posted:

If you use Alfred with Powerpack (which is awesome), there's this user-switching extension: https://github.com/aiyodk/Alfred-Extensions/tree/master/AlfredApp_2.x/Fast-User-Switching

:doh: I didn't even think to use Alfred 2.

Yep, there's already a System Action defined for "Lock" (which solves my problem). I just needed to assign a hotkey. I do not know if this will work in v1 of Alfred (app store version), but it definitely works in v2 with the Powerpack purchase.

Incidentally, the "Lock" System Action works by pulling up the Fast User Switching screen (list of active user accounts with password prompt).

If you don't have Alfred 2 (and why don't you?) or don't want to pay for the Powerpack, here's the CLI command to do the same thing:
code:
/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu\ Extras/User.menu/Contents/Resources/CGSession -suspend
Note: Tested on Yosemite. No idea if any of the above works on earlier versions. I don't see why not, I just can't verify.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 6, 2015

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!
The best beat-making app I ever used was an Apple application called "Soundtrack" that has not been compatible with the last 3 or 4 versions of OS X.

I just found the application on an old Disk...is there any way way to run old applications on the new OS???

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
You might already know this but it is included with FCP now.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

GokieKS posted:

flosofl posted:

:doh: I didn't even think to use Alfred 2.

Yep, there's already a System Action defined for "Lock" (which solves my problem). I just needed to assign a hotkey. I do not know if this will work in v1 of Alfred (app store version), but it definitely works in v2 with the Powerpack purchase.

Incidentally, the "Lock" System Action works by pulling up the Fast User Switching screen (list of active user accounts with password prompt).

If you don't have Alfred 2 (and why don't you?) or don't want to pay for the Powerpack, here's the CLI command to do the same thing:
code:
/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu\ Extras/User.menu/Contents/Resources/CGSession -suspend
Note: Tested on Yosemite. No idea if any of the above works on earlier versions. I don't see why not, I just can't verify.

flosofl posted:

You'll probably have to create an Automator script to do it.

That reminds me, I need to create one to lock the the screen using keychain status icon.

Awesome, thanks heaps!

Edit: Anyone else interested, you don't need Alfred, the automator script runs great. Here's how to set it up. Then just run it from Spotlight.

the_lion fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 7, 2015

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Downloading the GM of El Capitan

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ZeeBoi posted:

Downloading the GM of El Capitan

Did I read it got pulled after going up?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Feenix posted:

Did I read it got pulled after going up?

From the developer center, yeah; but it should be back now. I downloaded it via the purchased tab of the app store.

Gonna install now.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is it waresy to ask if it's technically installable by anyone?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

You could try signing up at the public beta site, getting a redemption code for the app store, then downloading it.

I never beta tested El Cap but they let me signup for the beta after I had received the GM notification email.

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
I was invited to try the GM and it's great. All the strange little tweaks to my install that I worried about breaking are fine. If you were also invited and live on the edge, I'd highly recommend it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I assume the version of OpenGL in El Capitan GM is the same as in previous betas?

Because OpenGL is deprecated.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I was on the Public Beta and got invited to the El Cap GM.

Which is nice because I always install GMs the evening they drop. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Man, San Francisco really looks terrible on a non-retina screen. Worse than Helvetica Neue.