Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Decided against the QNAP and it is going back. The proprietary weird linux build installed can make for some headaches. I have an i5 w/16GB ram laying around that I was going to sell but I've since installed unRAID on it and really like it. Docker containers, KVM for virtualization and the storage system works well.

I thought about doing this as well, but I'm willing to put up with it's lovely kernel because most of the time it hardly matters. I sort of look at the docker thing as yet another way to get away from caring what kernel it's all riding on top of in the first place, or the tools that are there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I just lost my first drive in 7 years.

It was a returned Seagate 1TB that I installed for a client in his computer. it stopped booting, so I bought him a new one and put his drive in my NAS, to see what would happen. It worked fine! Smart errors, but worked fine.

for seven years.

Then it failed, and 2 other drives started getting SMART errors. all 3 remaining drives started racking up reallocated sectors like there was no tomorrow.

So I bought a new Netgear RN204 with 2 WD 3TB Reds to get me started. Had to migrate off my 3TB external backup first, then top off the recent data from the old NAS as it was struggling to get through anything more than a few hours of uptime before the OS shat the bed. but all my data is back on the new super quiet, super fast NAS.

Should I be concerned if they are making Disk-noises? I havent used Reds before so I dont know if they are more noisy than normal other disks.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Laserface posted:

I just lost my first drive in 7 years.

It was a returned Seagate 1TB that I installed for a client in his computer. it stopped booting, so I bought him a new one and put his drive in my NAS, to see what would happen. It worked fine! Smart errors, but worked fine.

for seven years.

Then it failed, and 2 other drives started getting SMART errors. all 3 remaining drives started racking up reallocated sectors like there was no tomorrow.

So I bought a new Netgear RN204 with 2 WD 3TB Reds to get me started. Had to migrate off my 3TB external backup first, then top off the recent data from the old NAS as it was struggling to get through anything more than a few hours of uptime before the OS shat the bed. but all my data is back on the new super quiet, super fast NAS.

Should I be concerned if they are making Disk-noises? I havent used Reds before so I dont know if they are more noisy than normal other disks.

I'd only be worried if there was a high pitch twang of the heads crashing. If it's just the normal little noises that drives made when reading/writing data, then no.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

WD Reds going full chat can get quite noisy, it's nothing to worry about.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I had a hard drive die a bit ago, there's a pretty substantial difference between a click of death and a drive that's just seeking normally.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwYSdD4fyRU

In other news, I'm discovering that my Xeon system is actually overheating after I throw enough traffic at it. Unfortunately, I'm running it on an ESXi box that has no IPMI at all (always get IPMI on your server motherboards, kiddos!), so I can't tell if the bee-doo-bee-doo alarm that happens randomly is from disk overheating or CPU overheating. But I'm going to re-seat my heatsink and re-do the thermal paste on it. I normally don't give a drat about the paste I put on these things, but I think it's worth pulling out my ancient Arctic Silver that I haven't touched since college to attempt to fix this (I've re-seated this heatsink a couple times after switching motherboards when my last one became unusable in a bizarro IBM M1015-destroys-my-BIOS incident).

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Speaking of paste, I was absolutely shocked when I saw that the stock heatsink that came with the Xeon I bought didn't come with a packet of paste. I thought they had lost their drat minds. And then I noticed that they had some pre-applied to the base of the heatsink in a nice little pattern. That was a pretty cool moment for me.

23 hours in to a run of badblocks on all 8 drives, and I'm in the early stages of the second full test pattern read. Looks like we're shooting for about 60 hours on this. Then I get to do another round of SMART longs, before giving this box the blessing of getting a huge dump of data (which is far smaller than what I wanted to put on it because I lost a 3TB drive full of stuff a week ago today).

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

G-Prime posted:

Speaking of paste, I was absolutely shocked when I saw that the stock heatsink that came with the Xeon I bought didn't come with a packet of paste. I thought they had lost their drat minds. And then I noticed that they had some pre-applied to the base of the heatsink in a nice little pattern. That was a pretty cool moment for me.
That's the same HSF that I'm having problems with because I didn't scrape the thermal paste off of there after removing it from the motherboard for a transfer. Sucker wouldn't scrape off even with the acetone and alcohol I used.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
Huh. Interesting. How hot are we talking? I'm not so far along that I couldn't tear that part off and redo it, but I'm not even concerned about my temps. (47 right now, under no major load, and with the fan running presumably at a minimum speed.)

Edit: Just put it under relatively heavy load and spiked right up to 66, but it stayed stable there.

G-Prime fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 1, 2015

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Trip report with unRAID 6.

Make sure you enable user shares, stupid things happen if you don't and want to run docker stuff.
Don't run the docker for crashplan, it's stupid and frequently gets totally wiped when you stop/start the array. Better to run some basic linux VM with a basic desktop and handle it from there.

Other than that, I like the system.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

G-Prime posted:

Huh. Interesting. How hot are we talking? I'm not so far along that I couldn't tear that part off and redo it, but I'm not even concerned about my temps. (47 right now, under no major load, and with the fan running presumably at a minimum speed.)
I haven't had any errors to my knowledge and I've scrubbed constantly with my ZFS pools every other time I move a TB over or two and things have been fine. I don't have any temps to note because ESXi doesn't have anything working for sensors in the way of temperature for me (Supermicro boards can feedback to it via CIM, but only if you've got IPMI), but I've got a 4-drive, 8-partition raidz2 vdev I've been testing out and moving data at 150 MBps over SMB (fastest a single platter drive I've got feeding it is pushing) is managing to consume 40%+ of my 4 physical cores and all 8 logical / hyperthreaded on my E3-1230. This would set off the alarm a couple days ago after only 10 seconds, but I ran this for about a day continuously with hardly anything happening now. At idle I saw in the BIOS that the CPU idled around 31C and that's about 8 C over ambient.

Lesson for me really is don't be lazy if you remove the heatsink off of a CPU and re-apply thermal paste, period.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

necrobobsledder posted:

Lesson for me really is don't be lazy if you remove the heatsink off of a CPU and re-apply thermal paste, period.

I don't mind fiddling with hardware but thermal paste, CPUs and coolers always makes me feel a little anxious, especially the first power-on.

I changed the CPU in my Mac Pro from a Quad to a Hex and boy was I glad that it worked straight away. Especially after the CPU took four weeks to arrive from the states and I got it from Ebay.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I don't mind fiddling with hardware but thermal paste, CPUs and coolers always makes me feel a little anxious, especially the first power-on.

I changed the CPU in my Mac Pro from a Quad to a Hex and boy was I glad that it worked straight away. Especially after the CPU took four weeks to arrive from the states and I got it from Ebay.

Ha, its easy as can be now. We could be back in the stab your motherboard with a screwdriver and/or fry you new Athlon because the heatsink wasn't on right days.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Well, the good thing is, CPUs today won't cook themselves to death, and with integrated heat-spreaders, it's very unlikely you will crush a CPU core fitting the heatsink into the socket. Worst (probable) case now is you apply the paste wrong and the CPU is slower than it could be.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Skandranon posted:

Well, the good thing is, CPUs today won't cook themselves to death, and with integrated heat-spreaders, it's very unlikely you will crush a CPU core fitting the heatsink into the socket. Worst (probable) case now is you apply the paste wrong and the CPU is slower than it could be.

Even thats really hard to do unless you underapplied. Over applications will just be ugly for the most part and spread out the sides.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

worst case nowadays is you gently caress up one of the pins in the socket (ive done this).

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I just installed windows server 2012 r2 essentials on my N40l. I liked the automated backup on WHS2011 but the way it shared folders was a bit poo poo.

Is there any disadvantage to converting all my computers from the current live.com login to being part of the 2012 domain? All are on win 10, that’s 2x laptops and 1x desktop. I’ve seen there is a registry hack to allow connecting to the server without using a domain account but it will only let me do that if I supply administrator credentials, which then obviously gives that computer access to everything. If I then remove the laptops from the domain to work unconnected will they still work OK?

Also should I set the N40L up to be the DHCP server? I’ve left the edge router in charge of that for now and seems to be working fine. Static IP on the server.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
By "remove from the domain" to mean leave the house and not be connected to the domain or do you mean unjoin the domain and delete the computer object?

By default a domain machine will cache the last 10 accounts that have logged onto the machine, so those 10 accounts will still be able to logon to the computer even if it can't contact the domain controller. If 10 isn't enough you can create a group policy to increase it.

So, if you mean what will happen to the laptops when they leave the house and can't contact the domain, they'll be just fine, as long as you don't have more than 10 domain accounts you're using. Also an edge case you may not realize, if you change the password on your domain account but the laptop can't contact the domain controller it will authenticate with the old password that it has cached, not the new one that it doesn't know about yet.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

FISHMANPET posted:

By "remove from the domain" to mean leave the house and not be connected to the domain or do you mean unjoin the domain and delete the computer object?

Leave the house and not be directly connected. Doesn't sound like there's much of a downside and I guess it will make file sharing much better. Thanks for your help.

Next to work out if I can run the Garmin ANT program as a service...

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Man, normally I love CrashPlan, but whoever over there decided that with the latest update that putting in pseudo-random "security code" crap on the ports to frustrate remote connections was a dick. Thanks, rear end in a top hat, for wasting several hours of my life trying to reconnect to my headless server.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

DrDork posted:

Man, normally I love CrashPlan, but whoever over there decided that with the latest update that putting in pseudo-random "security code" crap on the ports to frustrate remote connections was a dick. Thanks, rear end in a top hat, for wasting several hours of my life trying to reconnect to my headless server.

Wait, what? Can you explain this, I was having some trouble getting mine to work and figured it was just my VPN being flaky.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

IOwnCalculus posted:

Wait, what? Can you explain this, I was having some trouble getting mine to work and figured it was just my VPN being flaky.

I got my info from here: http://chrisnelson.ca/2015/07/02/fixing-crashplan-4-3-0-on-synology/

I'm not sure at which version (mine happily updated itself from 3.6.3 -> 3.6.4 -> 3.7.0 -> 4.3.0 all in one poo poo-fest go), but somewhere in there they added in a "security code" in order to connect remotely. So you first have to make the same dumb -Djava changes as always (since of course the upgrades wipe that out), and then once the plugin is running, SSH into the jail and grab the code that'll then be sitting in /var/lib/crashplan/.ui_info Take that string and put it in the hither-to-unused .ui_info file(s) on your desktop. Where they are vary between OSs, but on Win 10 there's one in C:\ProgramData\CrashPlan as well as in %AppData%\Local\CrashPlan Not sure which is the important one--I threw it in both and it worked. Assuming you had a previously working install, that's the only thing that should have changed with the updates.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
My brain was apparently not firing on all cylinders when I bought HP p410 cards for a non-HP board. I don't get the prompt to get into the configuration utility on boot, but I can control it via hpssacli from VMWare so it should be fine.

That said, this box has two adapters and both are reporting that they're in slot 3. They're showing their respective physical drives just fine, but that just makes me a bit apprehensive about moving forward.

Edit: Oh boy. SGPIO doesn't look like it's working right. When I enable the ID light on one physical disk, four light up.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 2, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

DrDork posted:

I got my info from here: http://chrisnelson.ca/2015/07/02/fixing-crashplan-4-3-0-on-synology/

I'm not sure at which version (mine happily updated itself from 3.6.3 -> 3.6.4 -> 3.7.0 -> 4.3.0 all in one poo poo-fest go), but somewhere in there they added in a "security code" in order to connect remotely. So you first have to make the same dumb -Djava changes as always (since of course the upgrades wipe that out), and then once the plugin is running, SSH into the jail and grab the code that'll then be sitting in /var/lib/crashplan/.ui_info Take that string and put it in the hither-to-unused .ui_info file(s) on your desktop. Where they are vary between OSs, but on Win 10 there's one in C:\ProgramData\CrashPlan as well as in %AppData%\Local\CrashPlan Not sure which is the important one--I threw it in both and it worked. Assuming you had a previously working install, that's the only thing that should have changed with the updates.

Awesome, thanks. Mine is running headless on a Linux VM so I don't have to deal with the jail stuff but I'd bet this broke any headless stuff across the board.

e: Didn't have to do any manual updates but the .ui_info fixed me up.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 2, 2015

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I've accumulated a surplus of extra parts over the past couple years and decided to put together a box to hold my files and use as a media server, and for the first time I wanted to put together a RAID1 array.

I'm not very skilled in computer stuff, but the MSI motherboard I have supports RAID. When I press the Ctrl-I key combination during POST, it does not go to the RAID setup dialog; going into my BIOS in the SATA menu there is an option for AHCI but not RAID. Looking around, there are a couple of other things I could do to troubleshoot, which I may try tonight, but in my searches I learned of a few software RAID (or RAID-like things).

First, I found this video, which seems to show a quick way to set up mirrored drives using Disk Management, but when I go to Disk Management, I do not get mirrored volume as an option.

Finally I learned about Storage Spaces in Windows 8.1 which is a feature that is visible to me in my OS.

So, my question isn't for help in troubleshooting, but more general: being that I am new to RAID and not terribly skilled, which option should I be putting my effort into? Should I just use the Storage Spaces since that's the only option that's currently visible to me and doesn't seem to require me to troubleshoot? I don't know the pros and cons of these different methods for a computer that is going to be used as a home file/media server.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
In case anyone is looking for big cheap drives (and who isn't), the Toshiba 5TB drives are back to $139.99:
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-7200rpm-3-5-Inch-Internal-PH3500U-1I72/dp/B00OP2PKH2

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Listerine posted:

I've accumulated a surplus of extra parts over the past couple years and decided to put together a box to hold my files and use as a media server, and for the first time I wanted to put together a RAID1 array.

I'm not very skilled in computer stuff, but the MSI motherboard I have supports RAID. When I press the Ctrl-I key combination during POST, it does not go to the RAID setup dialog; going into my BIOS in the SATA menu there is an option for AHCI but not RAID. Looking around, there are a couple of other things I could do to troubleshoot, which I may try tonight, but in my searches I learned of a few software RAID (or RAID-like things).

First, I found this video, which seems to show a quick way to set up mirrored drives using Disk Management, but when I go to Disk Management, I do not get mirrored volume as an option.

Finally I learned about Storage Spaces in Windows 8.1 which is a feature that is visible to me in my OS.

So, my question isn't for help in troubleshooting, but more general: being that I am new to RAID and not terribly skilled, which option should I be putting my effort into? Should I just use the Storage Spaces since that's the only option that's currently visible to me and doesn't seem to require me to troubleshoot? I don't know the pros and cons of these different methods for a computer that is going to be used as a home file/media server.

Stick with Storage Spaces, don't bother messing with any on-board RAID on your MB, it will be way easier to manage.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

phosdex posted:

worst case nowadays is you gently caress up one of the pins in the socket (ive done this).

Ain't this the truth.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Krailor posted:

Stick with Storage Spaces, don't bother messing with any on-board RAID on your MB, it will be way easier to manage.

Okay good, it seemed like the easiest thing for me to do, just didn't know if it was a poorly implemented feature that I should avoid. Thanks for the response.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Listerine posted:

Okay good, it seemed like the easiest thing for me to do, just didn't know if it was a poorly implemented feature that I should avoid. Thanks for the response.

No, no no. Storage Spaces is loving horrible. Don't even bother. It works until you need to change anything and then good loving luck.

Try Stablebit Drive Pool. It totally rocks and doesn't use any funky file system stuff. Plain ol NTFS.

https://stablebit.com/

I don't understand why Microsoft cannot make software like this.
Look at this discussion from Windows 10 storage spaces: http://stebet.net/microsoft-finally-adds-rebalancing-to-storage-spaces/
They can't even get re-balancing right without diving into powershell commands.. and even that doesn't work for some people apparently. Pathetic.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 3, 2015

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

redeyes posted:

No, no no. Storage Spaces is loving horrible. Don't even bother. It works until you need to change anything and then good loving luck.

Try Stablebit Drive Pool. It totally rocks and doesn't use any funky file system stuff. Plain ol NTFS.

https://stablebit.com/

I don't understand why Microsoft cannot make software like this.
Look at this discussion from Windows 10 storage spaces: http://stebet.net/microsoft-finally-adds-rebalancing-to-storage-spaces/
They can't even get re-balancing right without diving into powershell commands.. and even that doesn't work for some people apparently. Pathetic.

Snapraid is another candidate to look at for a flexible software RAID type solution built on top of NTFS. It's also free.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Goddammit. Now I'm not sure what to do. It looks like I can control the p410s from ESX just fine, but the LED thing has me a bit worried. However, I don't know if it's the card or the backplane being stupid. I'd rather not drop $300 on more RAID cards just to find out they have the same problem.

mirepoix
Mar 22, 2009
So I've had a DS213 for 2+ years and I love it times a million, it serves media and torrents and holds all my photos and home movies and whatnot. It's getting time to buy stuff though, I'm grating at its limitations. I'm thinking of getting a ds415+, for the increase to 4 bays, and the beefy system specs (relative to the 213). I'm less interested in the 415play because I use plex to serve video to a roku, amongst other things. Also the 415+ should run crash plan just fine, which I'm currently not running on the 213 because I've read that it's not really strong enough.
Does anyone have opinions on whether this is or is not a good idea for whatever reason? Info on synology's upcoming disk station products, etc?

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...
I run a freenas Z3 setup, and I just got this email today from it:

This message was generated by the smartd daemon running on:

code:
   host name:  freenas
   DNS domain: local

The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:

Device: /dev/ada3, Read SMART Self-Test Log Failed

Device info:
WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0, S/N:WD-WCC4E5CYF0AP, WWN:5-0014ee-20b18f061, FW:82.00A82, 4.00 TB

For details see host's SYSLOG.

You can also use the smartctl utility for further investigation.
No additional messages about this problem will be sent.
Should I be concerned? Does this mean the drive is failing? I see no read/write/checksum errors on the volumes tab in the GUI, anyone have any thoughts?

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Megaman posted:

I run a freenas Z3 setup, and I just got this email today from it:

This message was generated by the smartd daemon running on:

code:

host name:  freenas
   DNS domain: local

The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:

Device: /dev/ada3, Read SMART Self-Test Log Failed

Device info:
WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0, S/N:WD-WCC4E5CYF0AP, WWN:5-0014ee-20b18f061, FW:82.00A82, 4.00 TB

For details see host's SYSLOG.

You can also use the smartctl utility for further investigation.
No additional messages about this problem will be sent.

Should I be concerned? Does this mean the drive is failing? I see no read/write/checksum errors on the volumes tab in the GUI, anyone have any thoughts?

Probably, replace the drive.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yep. SMART is poor at predicting exactly when a drive will fail or anything like that, but it is very rare for a perfectly healthy drive to throw errors.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
Is there any faster/better way than just running an rsync to validate that the massive initial data load I did from my old Windows box to my new FreeNAS went off without a hitch? I'd like to not spend another 5-6 days doing the validation.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
What's the cheapest/simplest Synology NAS that will take 2 drives (1 or 2 TB each) and support RAID? DS215J? Mostly for backing up photos and music and being able to access it from the TV, tablets, etc.

Also my dad wants to switch from a external hard drive to this setup but he's hesitant because he's afraid hackerz can easily access this compared to an external hard drive you can easily disconnect when you're not using it. Is there anything he can read or watch that would put his mind at ease? I keep telling him that no one cares about his vacation photos and that's pretty much his best defense but it's not quite enough to satisfy him.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

internet inc posted:

What's the cheapest/simplest Synology NAS that will take 2 drives (1 or 2 TB each) and support RAID? DS215J? Mostly for backing up photos and music and being able to access it from the TV, tablets, etc.

Also my dad wants to switch from a external hard drive to this setup but he's hesitant because he's afraid hackerz can easily access this compared to an external hard drive you can easily disconnect when you're not using it. Is there anything he can read or watch that would put his mind at ease? I keep telling him that no one cares about his vacation photos and that's pretty much his best defense but it's not quite enough to satisfy him.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...R9KT8HQDB9XP46F

214se is $149

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

internet inc posted:

Just about any of the 2 bay Synology units should be able to do it. The problem comes in if you are trying to access movies on tablets and need to transcode. If this doesn't apply, then you are golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

internet inc posted:

He could just as easily unplug the RJ45 cable to keep the hackers out.