Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

SirKibbles posted:

Why are there so many famous people in this :psyduck:

Between film paychecks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SirKibbles posted:

Why are there so many famous people in this :psyduck:

Have there been others than Goldblum? :confused:

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Of interest to fans of lovely goosebumps games: http://www.destructoid.com/there-s-going-to-be-a-goosebumps-video-game-306909.phtml

I thought this series was dead, let alone making more video games.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

i hope this game comes out before the thread ends so i can force taoc to play more of this garbage :allears:

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

FutureFriend posted:

i hope this game comes out before the thread ends so i can force taoc to play more of this garbage :allears:

Hella, and then we're gonna go see the movie and do a RiffTrax of it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'm sure the game coming out near the release of the movie is not a coincidence.

Taoc
Oct 6, 2012

I'm gonna go across the street and, uh, schling a schlong.

ChorpSaway posted:

Hella, and then we're gonna go see the movie and do a RiffTrax of it.

Goosebumps is going to be my eternal Sisyphean torment.

Taoc
Oct 6, 2012

Speaking of torment: New video!

Part 7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s73yL_cIWkA

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
So there's no alternate endings or at least atypical game-over scene for letting the timer run out completely with either the parents still on the plank and not on the plank? Does the game just take a token away from you and immediately let you try again?

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
drat that octopus puppet/prop was actually pretty good, :golfclap:

Taoc
Oct 6, 2012

ElTipejoLoco posted:

So there's no alternate endings or at least atypical game-over scene for letting the timer run out completely with either the parents still on the plank and not on the plank? Does the game just take a token away from you and immediately let you try again?

It just kinda resets, nothing special to it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I know this game sucks but holy poo poo that was a sudden, wet fart of an ending if I ever saw one. Shouldn't have blown your while budget on Jeff Goldblum I guess.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I wish I didn't suck at art so I could draw a picture of vampire jeff goldblum holding our terrier hero in a jester cap.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Anoia posted:

I wish I didn't suck at art so I could draw a picture of vampire jeff goldblum holding our terrier hero in a jester cap.

"the beauty of one's art is in the eye of the beholder" -r.l. stine

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

so how many Goosebumps games were made? All I knew about before this thread was the Attack of the Mutant game, and that was just because it was on the Windows 98 media CD (or whatever) as a trailer.

Following that line of questioning, are any of the remaining games any good?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Xoidanor posted:

Have there been others than Goldblum? :confused:

I didn't realize it until looking up the cast, but the vampire lady is Isabella Rossalini. As in, daughter of Ingrid Bergman, wife of Martin Scorsese, star of Blue Velvet. Not that she was ever fantastic, but this must have been a low point. Also she's credited as "Lady Cadaver".

Judy Tenuta, who played the manic lady earlier on, was at least known as a comic in the 90's, if not super-famous.

Renfield was played by the government agent from Starman (Jeff Bridges as an alien movie), but that's scraping the bottom of the cast barrel.

At the time, FMV was seen as the way of the future for games, and potentially really important for actors to get in on, so these people were maybe just trying to make those connections.

Other notes about the child stars:
The two boys did some work here and there. Clay had success as Young ______, playing child versions of Fred Savage, George Clooney, and Robert Downey, Jr.. This is Lizzie's only credited role, however, which I find odd because unlike the other two, she could actually emote and speak her lines.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.

Aces High posted:

so how many Goosebumps games were made?

Not enough.

Other than the two discussed so far and a crappy Wii title, I know there were a few Tiger Electronics-esque, Gameboy knockoff games.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

My son's played the DS horrorland game. It's got a drastically different storyline (Slappy the ventriloquist dummy is the antagonist) and is pretty much shovelware minigames, as most tie-in games on the system are.

Also according to gamefaqs, there's 12 games with the "Goosebumps" name in the title. An educated guess tells me 2 of them don't count for the thread and are just same game different system (The horrorland PS2/Wii titles, and the Xbox 360/One versions of the upcoming game I presume).

There are three iOS games. I hope we get to see them itt, because I just HAVE to know what "Goosebumps: Clown Prison Break" is all about.

1upclock
Sep 25, 2009

Taken completely out of context
Well now I need to know A: What's a clown prison like? And B: What kind of hosed-up poo poo does a clown have to do to be sent there?

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

taoc's doing two other games besides escape from horrorland. i'm gonna let him reveal what those games are later.

Taoc
Oct 6, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

My son's played the DS horrorland game. It's got a drastically different storyline (Slappy the ventriloquist dummy is the antagonist) and is pretty much shovelware minigames, as most tie-in games on the system are.

Also according to gamefaqs, there's 12 games with the "Goosebumps" name in the title. An educated guess tells me 2 of them don't count for the thread and are just same game different system (The horrorland PS2/Wii titles, and the Xbox 360/One versions of the upcoming game I presume).

There are three iOS games. I hope we get to see them itt, because I just HAVE to know what "Goosebumps: Clown Prison Break" is all about.

I would have no way of even playing the iOS games, let alone recording them, so those are probably off the table. As for the DS game, it'll probably depend on how long it is and how entertaining it is.

Taoc
Oct 6, 2012

So, now that Escape from Horrorland is over with, time for a New Video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm72QOS4qUA

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I don't know where I picked it up, but when I was a kid I called all these classic FPSs "paper shooters" or "paper graphics," where the 2D sprites are like those paper puppets glued onto popsicle sticks.

The facial animations are the big reason to play this game and/or watch it, they are so surreal looking. Another game that does this sort of animation was Twisted Metal 3!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaFKLhJ2kaY

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

yeah even as a kid I wasn't too keen on playing this just because of the animations of characters. They were a bit too off-putting for me

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I can't believe Stump loving betrayed us. I trusted you, you glorious scene stealing bastard.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

It's funny seeing how much weirder this is than the TV episode its based off of. It was actually a pretty interesting one, with its initial setup being the same. Latchkey kid rides the public bus too far, finds a castle like in his comic. It gets weirder from there, and has some interesting twists. The Mutant and the Green hero guy were the only ones in the ep though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Oh man, this game. When my family got our first Windows 98 machine we received this game in a small binder along with a bunch of other CD-ROM games as a pack-in bonus. There were some duds in there from what I remember (including the name-dropped Chaos Island, which was a Jurassic Park 2 RTS) but also some gems like Age of Empires 1 and The Neverhood :allears: That CD booklet is somewhere in my parents' basement, I should dig it out next time I home.

As for AotM, I'm pretty sure it was my first FPS, at least on PC. Is there another way into the greenhouse? I remember being really scared of going into the Mutant's office as a kid, there might be a second painting on the 5th floor behind one of those locked doors (which I'm guessing unlocks after the cutscene in the office). And while the game is pretty linear there are a couple of optional floors you have to visit in order to get the whole costume, which took me a while to figure out as a kid.

I also don't remember the facial animations being this weird, but speaking of faces a lot of these voices sound really familiar. The green good guy in particular is giving me a really strong Adam West vibe (I have no idea if it's actually Adam West)

Taoc
Oct 6, 2012

C-Euro posted:

(I have no idea if it's actually Adam West)

(It's Adam West)

Also I don't think there's any other way into the greenhouse other than the painting in the office. I at least have no idea where it would be.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Taoc posted:

(It's Adam West)

Given the campy nature of this game that makes a ton of sense actually.

Taoc posted:

Also I don't think there's any other way into the greenhouse other than the painting in the office. I at least have no idea where it would be.

There are those two doors that look like sewer grates (one takes you to room 509 corridor), in the video I think you tried to open one and it was locked, but after the cutscene I think it unlocks? I haven't played this game in 15 years so I could very well be wrong.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 31, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

He also plays that character in the TV episode!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Wasn't he pretty deliberately written as Adam West in the novel? I seem to remember the mannerisms (AotM is also apparently one of the only Goosbumps books I have lasting memories of, go figure) for his speech in the book being very Adam Westish.

also C-Euro, if you thought Chaos Island was a dud, guess you should be lucky you didn't get Trespasser :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Aces High posted:

also C-Euro, if you thought Chaos Island was a dud, guess you should be lucky you didn't get Trespasser :v:

I don't remember if it was outright bad, but I remember just thinking "Eh" when playing it. Plus it was competing for my attention with a lot of other games at that time, not just the aforementioned AoE1 and Neverhood, but this was around the time that Starcraft came out and I also had Myst and Riven on my mind. And AotM, of course.

How did I not really get into PC gaming until 2010?

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

C-Euro posted:

I don't remember if it was outright bad, but I remember just thinking "Eh" when playing it. Plus it was competing for my attention with a lot of other games at that time, not just the aforementioned AoE1 and Neverhood, but this was around the time that Starcraft came out and I also had Myst and Riven on my mind. And AotM, of course.

How did I not really get into PC gaming until 2010?

To be entirely fair, I don't think PC gaming really took off until the later half of the 2000s, so it's perfectly excusable. It wasn't until about 10 years ago that PC graphics and performance began to get affordable and outpace consoles.

tlarn posted:

The facial animations are the big reason to play this game and/or watch it, they are so surreal looking.

Yeah, it's a bit odd how the entire head of the characters seem to morph when they speak. Bicycle helmets should not be that gelatinous.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Oh I know what you mean, the amount I played CI versus AoE or C&C, not to mention Starcraft or any of the Warcrafts and I come away with the understanding that it was strictly a fad game. Play it once, put it away, pull it out 10 years later going "hey I remember this game, how was it?"

Kinda how I feel about AotM, honestly, since most of my FPS time was devoted to Quake 2 and SiN for PC, and Goldeneye for the N64

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Bluhman posted:

To be entirely fair, I don't think PC gaming really took off until the later half of the 2000s, so it's perfectly excusable. It wasn't until about 10 years ago that PC graphics and performance began to get affordable and outpace consoles.

Not to mention it was only in the last decade that PC ability demands plateaued so that most games can run on most systems. There was a while in the 90s where your system would be obsolete in less than a year after buying it and no longer able to run the newest games. It was ridiculous.

Taoc
Oct 6, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

Not to mention it was only in the last decade that PC ability demands plateaued so that most games can run on most systems. There was a while in the 90s where your system would be obsolete in less than a year after buying it and no longer able to run the newest games. It was ridiculous.

You're only gonna get the truly spooky experience if you run your games on the newest Voodoo card, everyone knows that.

Speaking of spooky, New Video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-wk0TlUsp4

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I love Feedback's design, it's so "what kids think is cool in the 90s"-
-Long, dyed hair
-Large black sunglasses
-Vest
-Hates music that grown-ups like
-Says weird poo poo that he thinks is cool
-Guitar with sharp angles

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
He wasn't freed because of rock music, it was because he got a Team Fortress 2 achievement.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Bluhman posted:

He wasn't freed because of rock music, it was because he got a Team Fortress 2 achievement.

Glad I wasn't the only one to notice that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

While the last game was enjoyable to watch, this one just hits all the right spots with me. It's just so campy and dumb in all the best ways. :allears:

Ramos fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 8, 2015

• Locked thread