Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

quote:

Gilly thought about that. "Dalla brought him forth during battle, as the swords sang all around her. That should be his name. Aemon Battleborn. Aemon Steelsong."
A name even my lord father might like. A warrior's name. The boy was Mance Rayder's son and Craster's grandson, after all. He had none of Sam's craven blood. "Yes. Call him that."

Huh? GRRM really needs an editor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

whats the problem?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Those are two different babies and sam should know the difference by now it was spelled out to him by Aemon.
I read over that passage just today and glossed over it. What a dumb thing.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Rest assured though that if you google that line you'd find a bunch of people who think it indicates that either Dalla or Mance are from Craster's brood even though that would make absolutely no sense, and even if it were true there'd be no way for Sam to know about it.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

My roommate has been marathoning the show all weekend. He also really likes Dany.

I can't wait till my courses open and I can move out :negative:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

My roommate has been marathoning the show all weekend. He also really likes Dany.

I can't wait till my courses open and I can move out :negative:

There is literally nothing worse than roommates that watch popular premium TV shows. My roommates make me watch Last Man on Earth and I hate that show.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

There is literally nothing worse than roommates that watch popular premium TV shows. My roommates make me watch Last Man on Earth and I hate that show.

that show is hilarious.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
I really like Preston Jacob's videos, and whilst he's completely bonkers a lot of the time (my personal favorite WTF is his questions over the Tower of Joy. "How did Ned and Howland, the only survivors, bury all the bodies and tear down the whole tower by themselves? It was only Lyanna and the Kingsguard and Rhaegar who ever went there!" Motherfucker they were royalty. They didn't go ten feet without a hundred servants and servants don't count as people. Ned could take the baby, wipe away a manly tear, then order the loving peasants to do all the hard work, secure in the knowledge that no real person would ever know what had taken place) there's a lot of stuff he picks up on that other people miss.

Which was why I was surprised he seemed to miss one really obvious connection in the last video that I hadn't made before. Ice and Fire is almost certainly lifted or inspired from the Robert Frost poem Fire and Ice, at this point PJ goes on a nice long derail about how these represent hate and desire and the "Song" represents collective memory or collective experience, so it's all this big revenge tale et cetera. The point he seems to gloss over is that Fire and Ice is a poem about the end of the world. It's another hint towards the shaggy dog story conclusion, that we get to see all these different perspectives of people scheming and praying and trying to survive as the world falls to pieces around them.

When these books don't get finished, don't worry, you're not missing much. I don't think any of these characters have long to live.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well, I've been watching Orange is the New Black, but I break it up with other shows and movies. He literally spent every waking moment not eating or in the bathroom at his laptop, his brain melting into pudding as he chews through the entire run.

Your tax dollars at work.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Well, I've been watching Orange is the New Black, but I break it up with other shows and movies. He literally spent every waking moment not eating or in the bathroom at his laptop, his brain melting into pudding as he chews through the entire run.

Your tax dollars at work.

I wonder if he knows his weirdo roommate posts about him online.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TommyGun85 posted:

that show is hilarious.

It was funny for the first three episodes, yes. I love cringe comedy and that show still did nothing but annoy me. It could have been so good if it was just an odd couple set in a post apocalyptic world....then they added January Jones, and that one fat guy from Running Wilde, and then two other women, and then another guy, and I just didn't care anymore.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I wonder if he knows his weirdo roommate posts about him online.

finally, a good knuc u ktne post.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

finally, a good knuc u ktne post.

pretty sure that is because he was at home rewatching OITNB

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

According to the latest rumors, Ian McShane will be playing some HBO-invented (or TWOW preview?!?!) outlaw bandit leader. Also, Richard E. Grant was accidentally revealed as a new cast member. He'd make a hilarious Victarion!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODGykzBxTME

(skip to 2:30)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Now I'm imagining a world where Paul McGann is someone on GoT. I'm simultaneously elated and severely depressed.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Are we sure one of them is not Moqorro?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think Moqorro was replaced with a sexy lady, at least there was some auditions tape leaked a while ago that suggested this.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Something I just noticed, littlefinger tells sansa there are three queens. He knows about Danerys and hasn't written it off as bullshit like cersei.
Back to Dance with Dragons, but I can't find my hardcover copy, and I know marwyn isn't in it so goddamn. Killing me that I won't get to see oldtown until they butcher it on hbo. I really read past everything in that book, I don't remember any of the things preston goes on about.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I think Moqorro was replaced with a sexy lady, at least there was some auditions tape leaked a while ago that suggested this.
There was a red lady in volantis in S5, I'm guessing that's her.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

There was a red lady in volantis in S5, I'm guessing that's her.

They put a new red priestess in the S6 casting call, and an audition from a different woman was leaked. So either that actress in the Volantis scene wasn't asked to come back or she's busy during that part of filming.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Lycus posted:

They put a new red priestess in the S6 casting call, and an audition from a different woman was leaked. So either that actress in the Volantis scene wasn't asked to come back or she's busy during that part of filming.

Or maybe it's just supposed to be a different red priestess? It would be weird if the same lady who was preaching in Volantis inexplicably showed up in King's Landing or Dany's poo poo heap city, both thousands of miles away, for no reason. Unless the leaked script specifically says the scene takes place in Volantis.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

counterfeitsaint posted:

Or maybe it's just supposed to be a different red priestess? It would be weird if the same lady who was preaching in Volantis inexplicably showed up in King's Landing or Dany's poo poo heap city, both thousands of miles away, for no reason. Unless the leaked script specifically says the scene takes place in Volantis.

I assumed it would be her because the way they talked about her and held the camera on her was long long enough to imply something like "DEAR TV PEOPLE THIS poo poo IS IMPORTANT PAY ATTENTION". I'm guessing it's just an actress conflict but I dunno.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I feel like it could have been more elegantly stated but he's going for a metaphor thing. He's mance's (biological) son. He's (by virtue of being raised by gilly) craster's grandson. I don't think it's an error anymore.

For a guy who wrote histories for minor characters and keeps them cross referenced so he can make dunk and egg stories by throwing a dartboard at his geneology lists and farting out a story purely from his background work, it beggars belief he would forget what baby sam is talking about in the middle of a sentence. And you wouldn't call an incest baby craster's grandson when you could say his son.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 9, 2015

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If he needs Elio for fact-checking, it's believable to me that he makes a mistake from time to time.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

It literally makes no sense to even bring it up if he wasn't being extremely deliberate.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I assumed it would be her because the way they talked about her and held the camera on her was long long enough to imply something like "DEAR TV PEOPLE THIS poo poo IS IMPORTANT PAY ATTENTION". I'm guessing it's just an actress conflict but I dunno.

I remember it more as "LOOK HOW INTENTLY SHE'S STARING AT TYRION! SHE KNOWS! SPOOKY MAGICAL PRIESTESS!", but it could go either way I guess.

Krinkle posted:

I feel like it could have been more elegantly stated but he's going for a metaphor thing. He's mance's (biological) son. He's (by virtue of being raised by gilly) craster's grandson. I don't think it's an error anymore.

For a guy who wrote histories for minor characters and keeps them cross referenced so he can make dunk and egg stories by throwing a dartboard at his geneology lists and farting out a story purely from his background work, it beggars belief he would forget what baby sam is talking about in the middle of a sentence. And you wouldn't call an incest baby craster's grandson when you could say his son.

Everyone north of the wall, including half the white walkers, are descendants of Craster.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Lycus posted:

"You have failed this city Volantis this lemoncakes."

A post only made after Wikipedia-ing to make sure she was in Arrow so I could make sure I'm not a racist, just a problematic book reader.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
I'd laugh so hard if next season is just stuff they left out of the already published books so that GRRM can catch up and they can pad it out 9 or 10 seasons.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

It would be great because all of cersei getting crazy and losing the ships and trying to get margery murdered and all that poo poo would happen after her comeuppance I mean character arcs are really kind of passe if you think about it.

Like if the ironborn raise hell, what, is margery going to be like hey queen i'm in jail and poo poo already but you should really fuckin' do something about these ironborn, and cersei says alright well lets send loras, already also in jail, to dragonstone. Everyone's seen me naked and I'm still going to be a dick about it and not help until your brother dies.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Krinkle posted:

I agree it might have been what the gurm was trying to say but even so i'd consider it the editor's responsibility to mention it's kind of an awkwardly written sentence and it's odd for Sam to talk about the boy's biological father, than his step-grandfather and then specifically note that the boy doesn't have his own 'blood', he doesn't have craster's blood either, and it could've easily been changed to something like "He was Mance Rayder's son, raised by one of Craster's daughters." or you know, the fake old-timey gurm way to write that sentence.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Gianthogweed posted:

I'd laugh so hard if next season is just stuff they left out of the already published books so that GRRM can catch up and they can pad it out 9 or 10 seasons.

At the rate D&D are going they'll be lucky to have an audience for season 7 let alone 8 9 or 10.

At this point HBO's best move is to quietly hire some ghost writters to make sure seasons 6 and 7 don't completely suck and go out on as high a note as possible before the whole thing just whimpers out.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

HBO's probably happy that the Season 5 finale was the highest viewed episode of the series.

counterfeitsaint posted:

In the audition, the character came from Volantis anyway, so that doesn't matter. But they might've wanted a different character anyway so she could be a sexy version of Benerro instead of someone who preaches in the street.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 10, 2015

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I've heard people say that the ratings tanked on season 5, and have probably repeated that a few times myself because I was dumb and lazy but like to sound informed, but looking it up, apparently they didn't. Which is kinda too bad considering the season 5 was steaming fetid waste.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Lost a million viewers from Ep1 to Ep2 in S5.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Which episode was the sansa awfulness in? Did people tune out because of it, or tune back in because they heard about it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Krinkle posted:

Which episode was the sansa awfulness in? Did people tune out because of it, or tune back in because they heard about it.

6, so tuned out.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

7 was also Memorial Day weekend. HBO's probably gonna go back to breaking on that day.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It wasn't in the first 4, because it wasn't in the leak. Not that I would know of course, a friend told me.

Episode 7 is 5.4, while Hardhome, episode 8, is the big jump to 7.0.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

counterfeitsaint posted:

She just borrows Littlefinger's teleporter. No big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Krinkle posted:

Mance is apparently a child of a wildling and he was taken in by the Watch so maybe he's Craster's son. Perhaps this is a piece of fluff that George has in mind when writing but doesn't intend to reveal so he forgot he hadn't mentioned it.