Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Grinding for monuments is the worst thing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Baal posted:

There's a lot of Cu Chulainn love in FGO and it's really weird. Not that he isn't amazing, but we're going to have four Cu Chulainns and a Scathach Lancer soon.

Hopefully one of them is actually a 4 or 5 star servant; I'm still disappointed at regular (Lancer) Cu Chulainn being 3 stars.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's the fate of all non-LizBath and Saber lancers to be subpar in stats.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Baal posted:

Here she is in base form

Here she is in her final stage

Finally, Female Knight can compete with Maou.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Rodyle posted:

Finally, Female Knight can compete with Maou.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Schubalts posted:

Grinding for monuments is the worst thing ever.

Yeah, basically. I'm grinding the 30AP berserker quest to try to get some monuments for Tamamo, which has been fruitless so far, but i've noticed that she also needs Homonculus Babies, which according to every source i've looked at are only obtainable from Lancer Cu's non-repeatable interlude. Does anyone know if there is an actual place to farm those things?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Baal posted:

It's the fate of all non-LizBath and Saber lancers to be subpar in stats.

I was always under the impression that Lancer was just really unlucky in F/SN with who he was matched up against and the orders he was given (for example, I imagine he could have killed Saber after hitting her with Gae Bolg if he hadn't been ordered to return after scoping her out). His Noble Phantasm (well both forms of it) are both incredibly strong and virtually guarantee beating someone who doesn't know who you are yet or doesn't have some ridiculous ability like Archer's Rho Aias (or is ridiculous themselves like Gilgamesh or Hercules).

On a vaguely related note, I remember being kind of annoyed that Saber had so much trouble with Zero Lancer and would have lost if he wasn't being all honorable and what have you. Zero in general did a kind of bad job of making you realize that Saber is supposed to be one of the best servants.

Freak Futanari posted:

Yeah, basically. I'm grinding the 30AP berserker quest to try to get some monuments for Tamamo, which has been fruitless so far, but i've noticed that she also needs Homonculus Babies, which according to every source i've looked at are only obtainable from Lancer Cu's non-repeatable interlude. Does anyone know if there is an actual place to farm those things?

I'm optimistically thinking that these things may not be that obtainable because they aren't really necessary yet; you can easily finish all currently available content (with the exception of interludes) with characters that are either non-ascended or have only been ascended once or twice. It's possible that, as new chapters and released, they'll also give more options for acquiring ascension items.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 8, 2015

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

I'm optimistically thinking that these things may not be that obtainable because they aren't really necessary yet; you can easily finish all currently available content (with the exception of interludes) with characters that are either non-ascended or have only been ascended once or twice. It's possible that, as new chapters and released, they'll also give more options for acquiring ascension items.

Tamamo's ascension items are necessary right now though, so that she can evolve from maid outfit -> naked apron.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

jellycat posted:

That pastebin actually lists Arturia (Lancer) AND Arturia Alter (Lancer), so maybe she'll get another Lancer design.
I'm interested in EMIYA Alter, Cu Chulainn Alter, Iri (as in Irisviel), Mary Read, and Anne Bonny.

It's a different Akira Ishida! There's also a professional go player and a comedian named Akira Ishida as well.

I don't even play this, but the above bolded part is awesome.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ytlaya posted:

I was always under the impression that Lancer was just really unlucky in F/SN with who he was matched up against and the orders he was given (for example, I imagine he could have killed Saber after hitting her with Gae Bolg if he hadn't been ordered to return after scoping her out). His Noble Phantasm (well both forms of it) are both incredibly strong and virtually guarantee beating someone who doesn't know who you are yet or doesn't have some ridiculous ability like Archer's Rho Aias (or is ridiculous themselves like Gilgamesh or Hercules).

On a vaguely related note, I remember being kind of annoyed that Saber had so much trouble with Zero Lancer and would have lost if he wasn't being all honorable and what have you. Zero in general did a kind of bad job of making you realize that Saber is supposed to be one of the best servants.

Tbf, Archer probably had one of the less ridiculous defenses against Lancer considering he almost legit died trying to defend against it. Lancer would be all accounts be able to beat Heracles if it weren't for the labors, but so would a lot of servants I guess. Zero in general doesn't portray Saber that well, but it's not really her story at the end of the day. She's a major player, but Zero is very clearly about other characters and she's only there to enhance other characters and blow up the Grail.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 8, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also Cu as Lancer would definitely win the war if two of his opponents weren't Arturia or Heracles.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Baal posted:

Also Cu as Lancer would definitely win the war if two of his opponents weren't Arturia or Heracles.

Hell, he probably could've won anyway if he still had Bazett as his master instead of Kotomine.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Baal posted:

Lancer would be all accounts be able to beat Heracles if it weren't for the labors, but so would a lot of servants I guess.

Yeah, the whole thing that makes Heracles so ridiculous is the fact that, if I recall correctly, you can't beat him the same way twice. Which basically makes him completely, 100% unbeatable by anyone other than bizarre servants like Gilgamesh or EMIYA (who, despite being able to produce many different Noble Phantasms, still couldn't pull it off).

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Add Semiramis, Ramses, Shuwen, Alexander Dumas and Astolfo instead of rehashes/evil versions you godforsaken japs

You're getting four out of five and two of them will actually show up twice each.

For those that can't or don't feel like translating that japanese thing:
http://blogs.nrvnqsr.com/entry.php/3273-GO-You!-The-Blacklist
It also lists the artists doing'em.

For the guy who was interested in Mary Reed & Anne Bonny: Don't be. I saw the art. It's baaaaaaaaaaad.
E: So bad I won't post it. Just link it. https://data.archive.moe/board/a/image/1439/00/1439002774830.png

AlternateNu posted:

I don't even play this, but the above bolded part is awesome.

It only says "Iri" though, whereas Rin, Sakura, Taiga and Waver all follow [Hero] ([Person]) format.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 8, 2015

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, the whole thing that makes Heracles so ridiculous is the fact that, if I recall correctly, you can't beat him the same way twice. Which basically makes him completely, 100% unbeatable by anyone other than bizarre servants like Gilgamesh or EMIYA (who, despite being able to produce many different Noble Phantasms, still couldn't pull it off).

Saber and EMIYA could probably beat Heracles if they were legit working together. As I recall from one of the Bad Ends in the Fate route, Excalibur can take off like 4 or 5 lives by itself, or at least a Shirou-powered Excalibur. Not enough to kill, but quite a number regardless. EMIYA keeping Heracles busy while Saber charges Excalibur could probably finish him off.

Saber Alter I think could also beat Heracles by herself, by sheer virtue of Dark Excalibur being incredibly strong just by itself and Sakura powering her up, but of course there never was a chance for that.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, it's a hilarious powerful defense. Obviously it's helpful that you can take more than 1 life in a blow, but when Excalibur tops off at 7 lives or so that still makes him impossible in 1v1 battles for just about everyone (probably including Saber herself).

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 8, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i bet shiki, could kill heracles

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
maybe shiki could kill servants

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Shiki could kill a Servant so hard that they'd get wiped from the Throne of Heroes entirely.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Freak Futanari posted:

Homunculus babies are unobtainable right now aside from the event gift and interludes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/grandorder/comments/3joqkr/a_look_at_the_4_servant_selections_from_the_event/

quote:

Ascensions currently impossible to obtain:

EMIYA : Infinity Gear x 8.
Marie Antoinette : Meteoric Horseshoe x4.
Carmilla : Homunculus Baby x4.
Tamamo Cat : Homunculus Baby x 8

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Is there any trick to levelling up servants? Just farm the appropriate daily conquest at the highest level possible?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
P much, yeah. Those turn out the best EXP material and are the ones that give you the highest chance of gold. If you can you should try to time some of it with my master level ups so you can do another one, but you can only touch on that stuff so much since master levelling is insane on the days you get master exp quests. Obviously you use the exp stuff appropriate to the servant, but I'd say if you need to you can go ahead and toss on a few other ones if it gets them the extra level. You also want to hope for Great and Super successes which multiply your overall exp, so it's always best to try and fill up all five slots in case you get one.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also I have terrible luck getting Saber EXP on the Three Knights Dailies and it's so bad that I'm sure my Lancelot is going to ascend and hit level 50 before my Siegfried makes it to 50 who's been ascended forever now.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Freak Futanari posted:

Shiki could kill a Servant so hard that they'd get wiped from the Throne of Heroes entirely.

Isn't this pretty much the official answer? Shiki would have a hell of a time trying to get a hit in, but he'd just need one to basically obliterate the Servant from existence, basically.

e: also HF being a three-hour movie kinda eases my worries, they can easily fit in everything after poo poo goes down in 3 hours

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Isn't this pretty much the official answer? Shiki would have a hell of a time trying to get a hit in, but he'd just need one to basically obliterate the Servant from existence, basically.

e: also HF being a three-hour movie kinda eases my worries, they can easily fit in everything after poo poo goes down in 3 hours

Since the things the grail summon are just copies from the throne of heroes, I doupt the originals would be affected by Shiki stabbing the copy to death.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It'd just make the magic ghost disappear like if they'd gotten killed by something else.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Yeah, he's almost certainly theoretically capable of destroying a Servant's body (if he manages to get a hit in before getting killed or dying of brain failure), but one of the limitations on his power is that he can only kill things that are capable of "dying" in some humanly comprehensible way, which a heroic spirit probably isn't.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Baal posted:

Tbf, Archer probably had one of the less ridiculous defenses against Lancer considering he almost legit died trying to defend against it. Lancer would be all accounts be able to beat Heracles if it weren't for the labors, but so would a lot of servants I guess. Zero in general doesn't portray Saber that well, but it's not really her story at the end of the day. She's a major player, but Zero is very clearly about other characters and she's only there to enhance other characters and blow up the Grail.

It's as much about Saber as it is any character.

Zero's important for her character arc because the events of it is what drove her to a nihilistic desire to erase herself from history.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Because Fate apparently didn't already explain why she wanted to do that in great detail, I guess. No, you need her lovely subordinate whining to her about not being punished for loving her wife, the other two kings belittling her at every turn, a french dude creeping on her, having about 4 other servants who could've beaten her and Kiritsugu being a shitheel to her. Yeah, Fate/Zero sure was important to her character.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Baal posted:

Because Fate apparently didn't already explain why she wanted to do that in great detail, I guess. No, you need her lovely subordinate whining to her about not being punished for loving her wife, the other two kings belittling her at every turn, a french dude creeping on her, having about 4 other servants who could've beaten her and Kiritsugu being a shitheel to her. Yeah, Fate/Zero sure was important to her character.

Thank you. I liked Fate/Zero overall, but it was definitely in spite of pretty much all of this.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

At least she gets tons of cute art of her with Diarmiud and Iri.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Saber as presented in Fate does not come across as incomplete, arc-wise. You're led to believe that she ended her life thinking that someone else should've been king and this led to the events of FSN. What Zero added to this for her kind of feels like a retcon of sorts.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Zero is good despite itself. It does a lot of the king thematics with Gil and Alexander very well even though it makes Saber look stupid to do that. It captures knighthood and chivalry very well and made a really cool black knight character, until his helmet came off and his terror wailing turned into bitching and moaning. Gilles de Rais is a really fun character, but rolling his character on another loving saber clone felt really dumb. Iri is a fun character, even though she's just a sacrifice for the sake of Kiritsugu's character.

I like that ultimately the two main antagonists do things because they seek pleasure from it rather than any greater purpose and are ultimately vindicated for it by the end of the story. Zero is a really cool story, except it can very easily at points not be, which is the Type-Moon MO tbh.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 8, 2015

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There is enough I like about Zero for all its issues. It's superficial but Lancelot is IMO the coolest loving Servant with the most interesting set of powers (although yeah less so when the helmet comes off). Iskandar/Waver are a great great dynamic that aren't matched in the rest of the franchise. And ultimately I do feel that both Gilgamesh and Kirei are fleshed out and improved upon what we got to see in FSN.

Kiritsugu/Saber's content isn't bad but it's kind of a "...and I guess that was there too" for me.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I forgot to mention Waver and Alex, that is legit the best part of Zero and should've really been the focal point of the story.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Baal posted:

I forgot to mention Waver and Alex, that is legit the best part of Zero and should've really been the focal point of the story.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Baal posted:

Gilles de Rais is a really fun character, but rolling his character on another loving saber clone felt really dumb.
Ruler Jeanne wasn't a thing when Zero was written though. Her being in the anime is just an easter egg, the Zero novels were the first mention she got in the franchise.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I know she's existed forever, so has Shielder, it's still dumb

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Baal posted:

Zero is good despite itself. It does a lot of the king thematics with Gil and Alexander very well even though it makes Saber look stupid to do that. It captures knighthood and chivalry very well and made a really cool black knight character, until his helmet came off and his terror wailing turned into bitching and moaning. Gilles de Rais is a really fun character, but rolling his character on another loving saber clone felt really dumb. Iri is a fun character, even though she's just a sacrifice for the sake of Kiritsugu's character.

I like that ultimately the two main antagonists do things because they seek pleasure from it rather than any greater purpose and are ultimately vindicated for it by the end of the story. Zero is a really cool story, except it can very easily at points not be, which is the Type-Moon MO tbh.

I liked Gilles having that vision of Jeanne though, because it's probably the first time I realized just how much more to the Type-Moon universe there is when you realize "Oh, she's not just fan fiction by the author."

Baal posted:

My only problem with Waver and Alexander being the foci is the lack of followup with them beyond Waver's cameo in UBW. Them being main characters in Zero works better if Waver's story is followed up beyond "Hey look he's Dumbledore now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Baal posted:

I know she's existed forever, so has Shielder, it's still dumb

No I mean there's no Saber clone element at all. Jeanne is originally just a mention with no character design or anything.