Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

My question was more about do I put that upfront on the resume or leave it out, and (secondarily) if I leave it out, do I substitute "contracting" or not. It might be in poor taste to put "death in the family" as an entry on a resume, just sayin'.

I would just leave it out (that is just list the start end dates as normal for all your relevant positions) and if they ask you about it explain why.

I wouldn't lie and put "Contracting" unless you were actually doing contract work during that time.

Edit: Also a couple months is not that big a hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Agreed, leave it out completely.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

My question was more about do I put that upfront on the resume or leave it out, and (secondarily) if I leave it out, do I substitute "contracting" or not. It might be in poor taste to put "death in the family" as an entry on a resume, just sayin'.

Oh, derp. Agree with mrmcd, then.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

When I applied to my current job, the dates on my resume were completely jacked (like some formatting mishap in Word completely scrambled that column in the table and I didn't catch it).

I only found this out after I got an offer, and I looked over my resume one last time before sending it over to their third party background check service.

I let the hiring manager know just to be sure; he didn't care, and of the ten people or so who looked at my resume, nobody noticed the dates were glaringly messed up.

So my anecdotal evidence suggests nobody even looks at the dates, let alone cares about a few month gap.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

kitten smoothie posted:

So my anecdotal evidence suggests nobody even looks at the dates, let alone cares about a few month gap.

Obviously that's not going to be the case for every company, but in any case it's best to just be honest about this kind of factual, verifiable information. Meaning you were employed from Jan 2012-Dec 2013, and March 2014-Present, or whatever. The two months in between those are completely irrelevant to your employment history beyond the fact that you weren't employed during that time, so they don't belong in employment history; if they ask about it you can tell them whatever you want.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

mrmcd posted:

Edit: Also a couple months is not that big a hole.
Yeah, people are unemployed all the time. This becomes an issue if you're constantly unemployed in between jobs on your resume (suggesting that you don't appear to be leaving these jobs of your own volition) or if you're very long-time unemployed (suggesting that no one else you've interviewed with has wanted you).

e: were you the guy that, er, removed something from the premises of the Church of Scientology in NYC?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Vulture Culture posted:

e: were you the guy that, er, removed something from the premises of the Church of Scientology in NYC?

Haha, yes he was. Ah, the good old NYC goonmeets.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Ithaqua posted:

The good old days of 120 people showing up at a restaurant without a reservation.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Ithaqua posted:

Yes, it is I. For my crimes I was curses by space ghosts to become and angry old computer man, wandering the world trying to hardball startups out of an extra 25 basis points of equity.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

By the way, speaking of startups and job offers, I made this spreadsheet that compiles a lot of the research I've been doing about startups, VC funding, options grants, and how to price all of that and make a smart, rational choice when considering a job offer.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1L-hwCRXKDwmOPqXCwQo4DM1cERYSgBIHM6Sp_Mye1Gc/edit?usp=sharing

You should be able to copy it to your own google docs account to make changes to the inputs based on your own situation.
The inputs are at the top:

* The fractional stake your equity/options represent. DO NOT PUT IN JUST SHARES. Share number on its own is meaningless, you want them to tell you how many total diluted shares are outstanding and divide by that number. Ex: If there's 2,000,000 shares and they are offering you options for 5,000 shares, that's 5000/2000000 = .0025 = .25% = 25 basis points.
* The exercise price. This is (strike price * shares). You might also hear the term "current 409a price" which is the price new grants are set at. So if your grant is 5000 shares @ $1.50 strike , put 1.5 * 5000 = 7500 here.
* The opportunity costs. This is what you are "giving up" to join this company. At a minimum you want to put in (value of unvested equity/cash at current job + (salary cut * vesting period)) . So if you're giving up 10,000 in unvested equity and taking a $7,500 per year salary cut and options vest over 4 years, put in 10,000 + 30,000 = 40,000. Another thing to consider instead of salary cut is if you could get a higher salary/bonus from a different company or offer.

Given these inputs, it will render a matrix estimating how much money you stand to make on various exit scenarios (acquisition or IPO) and dilution percentages (additional equity funding rounds). Cells are colored green if the outcome is better than your opportunity costs, and red if the outcome is worse. Keep in mind this is ONLY for successful exits. Failures or very cheap acquisitions where only the preferred investors get paid, any options or equity are going to be worthless. This also doesn't cover anything related to tax strategy re: When to exercise, ISO vs. NQSO options, and AMT avoidance. That could be a whole separate and long post.

Anyways, I wanted to share this because I noticed that even a lot of engineers don't really understand how to price and evaluate these things when it comes to private and/or VC funded companies, just treating them like "lottery tickets" without any sort of rational analysis. In my opinion this is a mistake, because senior, experienced technical staff are incredibly valuable and can have a big impact on how well a company does. In the event that your "lottery tickets" do pay off, your equity is compensation for your part in making that happen, and you want make sure that's both competitive, fair, and in line with your risk tolerance. VCs, founders, and executive staff will take advantage of anyone who doesn't understand these mechanisms and/or isn't willing to negotiate.

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
Last few jobs and interviews I got via references, but I recently moved to a new city and have zero network (so far). I think that means I should update my years old resume. Would this be the place to get a quick critique? Or maybe the newbie thread?

Public link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/10fJOo8OcK_7lSqalltzVn-Ws0dtFiNESNMSIx745JRY/edit

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Kallikrates posted:

Last few jobs and interviews I got via references, but I recently moved to a new city and have zero network (so far). I think that means I should update my years old resume. Would this be the place to get a quick critique? Or maybe the newbie thread?

Public link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/10fJOo8OcK_7lSqalltzVn-Ws0dtFiNESNMSIx745JRY/edit

The fonts are inconsistent. Look at Near Infinity Corporation vs Thermopylae Sciences + Technology.

Tense was inconsistent for the first few bullet points of Thermopylae Sciences + Technology.

The fonts are overall pretty ugly IMO. And it seems like poo poo is just randomly bolded. Everything is tightly crammed together and hard to read, especially at the top.

Remove "interests". No one cares that you like rock climbing or "user experiences" (whatever that is) when they are evaluating whether they want to talk to you or not.

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
good catch on the font, I had done that years ago to keep it inside a page. and the most recent bullets I threw on there without too much thought.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
In general, I recommend Practical Typography as a good resource for everyone to brush up on typography a little. There's a lot of good advice there, and he touches on resumes a little. It could help you stand out one way or another.

mortarr
Apr 28, 2005

frozen meat at high speed
Anyone made the transition from senior dev to solutions architect? I'm bored of writing pissant line-of-business web apps, and the big projects which I love are few and far between, so looking for something new. Feel like I'm topped out career-path-wise in my city so going to have to commute to the big smoke too - if you can call Wellington the big smoke! Any advice?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
So who here has experience negotiating for telecommuting on a regular basis?

I have a pretty firm grasp that I'm getting an offer after the holiday weekend. The opportunity is great, both in near absolute autonomy, salary floor (from the job posting) is about double my current, and should things go well, the opportunity to lead will present itself. It's in NY and I live just outside of Philadelphia. Relocating isn't an option until June and I'd like to avoid that commute full time.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
I've done the telecommute negotiation before.
Was just straight with HR when discussing the offer (looking through papers 1 by 1) and said I wanted 3 days work-from-home because of the terrible commute in the bay area. I then talked with the potential boss who said fine as long as I do video conf during the morning standup.

Didn't take that offer so no idea how it would work in reality, but negotiation went smooth enough. I imagine it'd be awkward if everyone else on your team is a 9-5 office person

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

MeruFM posted:

Didn't take that offer so no idea how it would work in reality, but negotiation went smooth enough. I imagine it'd be awkward if everyone else on your team is a 9-5 office person

The "team" for now, is just me (and a designer) so hopefully that plays in my favor

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Does anyone experienced go to hackathons? Or really, is it the sort of thing that anyone over 30 is going to feel welcome at? There's an event going on in my city soon and the organizer has been putting the full court press on me to attend.

I'm really split on whether to go or not. I categorically refuse to bring a sleeping bag and code into the night because that's goddamned stupid, so I wonder if that's going to be a dealbreaker.

Realistically, if I have to share a $30K prize with a team of potentially 10 people, and there's 10-15 teams, that puts the expected value of my share of the prize down below what I could bill if I just worked freelance for the same time period.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Be sure to read the agreements they give you on those. I've heard of some, by Microsoft in particular, that make claims to all your work ever.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

This event's previous incarnations made the winners sign over their rights to the project in exchange for the prize money; this time around it's more community/open data focused and the conditions apparently are simply that you have to open source what you make. They've got a bunch of civic booster groups ponying up the prize money this time, instead of previously where they had some corporate sponsor basically use the thing for free consulting hours. That at least seems like an improvement.

I have zero compunction about showing up, seeing what the deal is, and walking away at the outset if it looks like it sucks.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
Spending 16+ hours with a bunch of smelly strangers working on something that I possibly don't care about and then lose control over doesn't really interest me. I can spend all the free time coding what I want, with breaks and sleep and 3 monitors, why would I ever give that up?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Skandranon posted:

Spending 16+ hours with a bunch of smelly strangers working on something that I possibly don't care about and then lose control over doesn't really interest me. I can spend all the free time coding what I want, with breaks and sleep and 3 monitors, why would I ever give that up?

Some companies sponsor attending hackathons, so you get flight + lodging + regular pay out of it. That's pretty fun IMO, especially when you basically get a free pass to take a couple of extra "work" from home days due to traveling.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

baquerd posted:

Some companies sponsor attending hackathons, so you get flight + lodging + regular pay out of it. That's pretty fun IMO, especially when you basically get a free pass to take a couple of extra "work" from home days due to traveling.

Getting paid is nice, but I have other obligations that I cannot drop or suspend so easily, so I guess I'm just getting to old for this poo poo.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Skandranon posted:

I can spend all the free time coding what I want

Skandranon posted:

I have other obligations that I cannot drop or suspend so easily
Which is it?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

Which is it?

I have free time, but I can't spend it anywhere. Location matters.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

kitten smoothie posted:

Does anyone experienced go to hackathons? Or really, is it the sort of thing that anyone over 30 is going to feel welcome at? There's an event going on in my city soon and the organizer has been putting the full court press on me to attend.

I'm really split on whether to go or not. I categorically refuse to bring a sleeping bag and code into the night because that's goddamned stupid, so I wonder if that's going to be a dealbreaker.

Realistically, if I have to share a $30K prize with a team of potentially 10 people, and there's 10-15 teams, that puts the expected value of my share of the prize down below what I could bill if I just worked freelance for the same time period.

I organized a couple of hackathons before they were trendy in Silicon Valley. For hackathons with a small judging pool, judges often suck and use awful criteria (or a particularly forceful one pushes criteria tailored to their particular agenda) or are critically ignorant about the technology used. There's always at least one team which cheats by taking an ongoing project and adding a little bit of polish then presenting the entire whole as their hackathon project.

The level of ageism is dependent on the location and the people who come; that's not a universal property of hackathons IMO. Going home and coming back sounds fine if the hackathon spans more than one night.

Do it if you have your expenses covered and you like coding enough that you can treat it like a vacation. That said, out of all of the developers I was friends with back in college who participated in hackathons, I think there's only one who still goes, and a good number who went the other way and hate the idea.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Skandranon posted:

I have free time, but I can't spend it anywhere. Location matters.
I still can't square those two statements, you're lying to yourself with one of them. I think one of the most valuable things that a hackathon provides is a fixed deadline. I attended one, and I'll add I was the oldest participant by a decade, and I'm quite sure I could've sat at home and coded for all that time and it would have been a remarkably worse experience.

How often do you wrap up a personal project, stand up in front of a half dozen strangers, and give a 2 minute pitch with a minute for Q&A afterwards? I wouldn't have bragged about my pitching skills but crunching on that and running through it in front of the group a few dozen times really helped. It helped that there was absolutely no code, I was pitching an invision prototype against Actual Mobile apps. My cats, given a rough version of the pitch at my leisure, did not provide the kind of feedback that human judges did.

kitten smoothie posted:

If you absolutely must filter it through this lens, and I would vehemently disagree, you should view it as a contracting opportunity that's already landed and signed. I could get freelance gigs at $200/hr, provided I was willing to hustle for 6+ hours daily, but in reality I wasn't that good at hustling.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

I still can't square those two statements, you're lying to yourself with one of them.

I'm sorry you don't understand, but that's on you, not me. Where I spend my free time matters, and in what stretches. If you like hackathons, that's great, I'm happy for you. My post was about why they no longer have value to me.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I organized a couple of hackathons before they were trendy in Silicon Valley. For hackathons with a small judging pool, judges often suck and use awful criteria (or a particularly forceful one pushes criteria tailored to their particular agenda) or are critically ignorant about the technology used. There's always at least one team which cheats by taking an ongoing project and adding a little bit of polish then presenting the entire whole as their hackathon project.

I observed the end of one of these a few years ago and it was like a 50/50 split between novel ideas that didn't work well (probably because they were tired?) and stuff that was really obviously cooked up beforehand. I honestly thought I misunderstood the thing, but it seemed like the judges just had no idea they were cheating, and how could you enforce it anyways? I felt like I wasted my time going, and I didn't even participate.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Since I work remote I feel like I don't have a whole lot of good ways to stay connected with the local developer community where I live, so I wound up pulling the trigger and signing up.

If nothing else it'll help me identify more of who in the community is cool and who's a jerk.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

kitten smoothie posted:

Since I work remote I feel like I don't have a whole lot of good ways to stay connected with the local developer community where I live, so I wound up pulling the trigger and signing up.

If nothing else it'll help me identify more of who in the community is cool and who's a jerk.

You should let us know how it goes, I've shunned then since them but maybe that was just a bad experience.

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker

kitten smoothie posted:

Dealing with this right now in combination with a move to a new city. As someone who got my last two jobs via referrals + references it really sucks.

I've been trying to go to meetups where possible. I need to be better about it though since having that good network is worth money and time saved. Getting passed over for easy work because you didn't check enough boxes in a HR person's list, sucks (.. for them but is wasted effort and time for me).

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

kitten smoothie posted:

It really is invigorating to be around young blood undeterred by failure. I found it was a nice mix of ideas that I never would've considered due to their complete disconnect from reality and ideas that I never would've considered because of my complete disconnect from their reality.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

It really is invigorating to be around young blood undeterred by failure. I found it was a nice mix of ideas that I never would've considered due to their complete disconnect from reality and ideas that I never would've considered because of my complete disconnect from their reality.
this is definitely the best thing i learned from working at an early-stage startup

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Reality is just not in the cards for most of us.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'd like to get some opinions on my current job situation and what it means for my career. Alongside the fact that I'm likely to leave soon, I suspect that the position I'm in and the people who are in charge of providing me opportunities are at best ineffective and at worst detrimental to my advancement.

I started with a cohort of 2 or 3 peers of similar skill levels to me. Within the next 4 months or so, we hired a good 8+ people of the same skill level. Most of these people started in the same team I started at, alongside me, and eventually were moved to other more interesting feature crews and teams. They've also been noted in email chains and all-hands for helping out on serious improvements to our product and process. I, on the other hand, have not really moved teams and haven't been given the chance to involve myself in things like those. I feel like the rest of my cohort advanced while I have remained stagnant, and I'm not quite sure why.

I do feel, however, like I'm not being supported in this manner by any senior devs or mentors. They're not giving me the opportunities to really tackle something and prove myself, and they either don't trust me enough to let me do that, or they're just not interested or don't care. I feel extremely limited here and like there's no real way to improve that situation, and I'm disappointed enough to not do that anyway - so I'm going to leave.

I think what pisses me off the most is that they profess to be serious about, but I have seen none of that from them. Maybe I'm asking and expecting too much, but still, they don't have it.

What a disappointment. My next opportunity will be something that I'm glad to be working on, and something that will appreciate me as well.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
Have you explicitly asked for bigger responsibility / larger projects? My experience is that there's always a plethora of ambitious projects and a lack of ambitious and talented people to do them.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Pollyanna posted:

I do feel, however, like I'm not being supported in this manner by any senior devs or mentors.

1) Look up "set up to fail" and read last decade's MBA's describe your situation
2) Don't put any more effort, be it typing or emotional, into this job. Focus on the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

"Hey, my Kanban board is looking a little empty, is there anything good I can take up? Also, on what I mentioned during the last one-on-one, I'd love to maybe work on the SDK, or the data platform, or even on the front-end UI side, maybe."
"Well, see, I kind of see you as someone I can really delegate to whenever there's <specific application> support to be done..."
":geno:"

So, yes and they're more interested in grooming me for something specific.