Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Asiina posted:

Hey everyone what was the first game of mafia you modded and how did you completely gently caress it up?

I had a game that was far too large for the few power roles I had, so if windshipper didn't come in and windy it up it would have been completely dead. I also answered a question from a player in the thread that basically mod confirmed him as town, which is why I now have the caveat in my rules that I don't say anything in thread after the game starts.

In a 13-person game, I told the thread fakeclaims would be provided to scum (and they were, I wrote entire fake role PMs to cover flavor stuff), and because of that someone on the scumteam thought it'd be okay to post their entire fake role PM in-thread which was a modkill. This was after town hit a scum on D1, who the serial killer bent over backwards to defend and got voted out for on D2. The poor last remaining scum thought the scum who posted the fakeclaim role PM was torpedoing their team on purpose and wanted to quit.

Later, I followed it up by running a lights out game with potentially unlimited dunks per day. There were no multiple dunk days, two or three no-dunks, and the town got destroyed because only like two or three people were doing anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

EccoRaven posted:

you are the thor to my odin

this is good

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

My first and only game of Mafia I modded was Happy Tree Friends Mafia and I don't really remember much about it except I didn't like coming up with flavor for a show I had no emotional investment in halfway through the game and it started getting lovely :v:

I am ~toying~ with the idea of writing a new Mafia Universe that is original flavor heavy and might carry over to other games but I kinda feel like "why not just make a play by post game at that point" so I might do that someday, I don't know.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I've wanted to make my own flavour for a while that's not based on just writing fanfic or stuff about my life, but an actual original story. Someday.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Asiina posted:

I've wanted to make my own flavour for a while that's not based on just writing fanfic or stuff about my life, but an actual original story. Someday.

This is a terrible, terrible idea.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

My first modded game was The Canadians, and I did a great job

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Meinberg posted:

This is a terrible, terrible idea.

Why?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think maybe the joke there is that meinberg tried to do that once

Asiina posted:

Hey everyone what was the first game of mafia you modded and how did you completely gently caress it up?

Flash Fire: I asked people for advice on the set up and took every piece of advice I was given. Essentially it was a too many cooks situation. I place most of the blame for the bad advice at magres and ernie's feet, although obviously I hosed up the most by not thinking critically. Notoriously ended with merk refusing to ever play in a game of mine again.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Maybe it wouldn't be mafia, but I like mafia as a storytelling device. I usually customize what happens in the story based on what has happened in the game and who is left alive at the beginning and end of each day, and if you write complex night action flavour you get to write the same scene from multiple angles which I really enjoy as an exercise as well.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Asiina posted:

Maybe it wouldn't be mafia, but I like mafia as a storytelling device. I usually customize what happens in the story based on what has happened in the game and who is left alive at the beginning and end of each day, and if you write complex night action flavour you get to write the same scene from multiple angles which I really enjoy as an exercise as well.

:agreed:

just do it asiina! it will eventually write itself.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I think maybe the joke there is that meinberg tried to do that once

More than once, in fact!

Asiina posted:

Seriously though, just follow your heart. You can do it, I believe in you!

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

It's tough writing flavour and I wish I could do it easily. I wanted to make a murder mystery game where every player could visit rooms or locations and get flavour describing the scene, or other players. The game would essentially give away the scum from the clues, but there would be red herrings from every other player interfering with the scenes or being set up. Too much effort.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Amoeba102 posted:

It's tough writing flavour and I wish I could do it easily. I wanted to make a murder mystery game where every player could visit rooms or locations and get flavour describing the scene, or other players. The game would essentially give away the scum from the clues, but there would be red herrings from every other player interfering with the scenes or being set up. Too much effort.

I want to do something similar myself. It'd be sweet.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Amoeba102 posted:

Oh man lets work on this together

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I got as far as figuring out character backgrounds, ie professions, and the location. I started trying to write it up but I just couldn't make it much further.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I know I could, it's just a matter of finding an idea I like and one that has room to grow in different directions.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Hal Incandenza posted:

Oh man lets work on this together

Amoeba102 posted:

I got as far as figuring out character backgrounds, ie professions, and the location. I started trying to write it up but I just couldn't make it much further.

I bet we could do it, if we all worked together. It's a neat idea, I think.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Mar 27, 2020

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Meinberg posted:

I bet we could do it, if we all worked together. It's a neat idea, I think.

But then who would play in it??????

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Asiina posted:

First game I ran was Hotel California `76 (he says, writing a rough draft of the NYC `77 OP), and I hosed it up by putting too much flavor in the night results, which allowed players to simultaneously force flavorclaims and soft-confirm their night visits.

First game I played in and didn't sad out of was David Bowie Mafia, which is still a fantastic setup and a great small game.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Everyone's the mod mafia.

Hal, Meinberg, Asiina, I'll set something up later for a collaborative effort.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I think I have an idea for something original that could span quite a long time, but now I'm not sure mafia is the right venue for it.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

My first (only) game I modded was A Confederacy of Dunces.

Problems: opop was a dunce and got the best role and voted off day 1. Also someone technically cheated and I didn't ban her from all mafias forever.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

All you need is informed minority v uninformed majority and we can make it a game. If it's got player elimination you can make it mafia. If not, you can make it Resistance.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Well I just really like the setting and the barebones story I've created, but now I'm wondering if it should be some sort of play by post rpg, but I don't know enough systems to begin to guess what I could use as a framing system.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Do you want players to compete as unknown teams? Do you want players eliminated?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So I'm thinking of modding my first game. Anyone around who wants to review my setup?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

SirSamVimes posted:

So I'm thinking of modding my first game. Anyone around who wants to review my setup?

I'm around

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

SirSamVimes posted:

I meant to click your link but I forgot and now I have been drinking so I let Mithross do the work SORRY

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Sep 9, 2015

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Don't worry about it. Also thanks Mithross for your suggestions!

Written everything up, I'll post the OP when I'm a bit more free. I would do it now, but there's an ecco game opening tomorrow!

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Sep 9, 2015

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

The first game I ever modded was The Brave Little Toaster Mafia. it was a whole bunch of fun and not terribly broken I think.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

I have never played a game of mafia.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
First game I played in was Opop's Canadians 3000 which was fun

First game I modded was Goonfest! which I think was fun. On the last day of the game I accidentally gave 50 pounds of bread a scum result on Magnus who was a Godfather, which didn't end up mattering anyway and the scum still won flawlessly. Looking at the setup again, I am convinced balance is a lie because given all these roles the town still lost without killing a single scum.

I thought it had some cool mechanics and went surprisingly well for my first try, especially after I had only played in 2 games by that point I think

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
First game I played was Asiina's Restrictive Diet mafia. Was scum for my first game, and almost won it too except for a lovely misplay at the end. I've yet to mod a game but I've been thinking about starting one soon.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Asiina posted:

oh and to answer this question from last night, my first game that I modded here was a setup that 50 pounds of bread came up with but didn't want to mod himself, that was a pretty neat setup, but depended heavily on one role to really make the game unique and crazy. Well I randomed roles and that role ended up on tearshed, who proceeded to not only get himself lynched, but before he could be lynched he posted his role PM. Before he shared his role PM me and 50 decided we weren't going to reveal much in his flip and perhaps come back to the setup at a future time and try it again.

wasn't a huuuge fuckup on my part persay, and when I make a game I always try to stay away from one role that makes or breaks a game, but if I had to do it again, I would have rerandomed until that role ended up on someone that wouldn't be a likely day 1 lynch

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

The favorite game I ever modded was The Magic Schoolbus Mini Mafia. I had fun writing the flavor for that one.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Grandicap posted:

The favorite game I ever modded was The Magic Schoolbus Mini Mafia. I had fun writing the flavor for that one.

Grandicap IRL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXxBhOc7jEA

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Let's stop lurking. It is killing every active game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Grandicap posted:

My favorite modded game was Dwarf-fia, but my favorite played game was Poque's Zodiac Mafia. There aren't a lot of games where the fakeclaims and speculation are so good, they discredit the actual claims. Also, still my first and only flawless scum victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

merk posted:

Let's stop lurking. It is killing every active game.
I completely agree, low posting volume wrecks games.

Part of it would be improving setup design to make the game's outcome determined by players posting in the thread, rather than night action results and other mod-centric game mechanics. The classic mechanics of open setup Mafia are all in service of fostering player communication and lynch discussion. That makes sense because the vast majority of the gameplay time is day phase discussion. That's the heart of Mafia.

Lynch All Lurkers is the another solution. In the absence of a really good case, or a strong night-action-based reason to lynch someone else, all these lazy apathy lynches and deadline scrambles really ought to default to the worst lurker.

There's an understandable tendency to just focus the discussion and the votes on the peopke who are actually there and participating, while letting those who don't post just slide by, because they don't respond or engage even if pressured. This is bad for games and bad for Town. Scum have the incentive to nightkill more active posters, Town should recognize that the most vocal people are usually not Scum and should tend to be given the benefit of the doubt.

Not only would these things tend to make games better and more active as they go on, (vs more boring and quiet) it also would have a higher success rate of Scumcatching than the norm. Scum being compelled to post more to escape this policy, and Town striving to not cause a mislynch by being at the bottom, can only improve games.

It's definitely a hard problem to solve and most mechanics-based gimmicks I've seen tried have backfired. In a recent badly run game plagued with replacements and lurking, largely due to poor design, mechanics that reduced player agency and pointlessly increased uncertainty so there was less to meaningfully talk about, loose and badly timed deadlines, and obnoxious delays in both starting and opening the game, the mod capriciously imposed a badly conceived Wall of Death mechanic to bully and threaten to mass-execute lurkers in the middle of the game, with arbitrary rules intended to increase posting, but the overall effect on the game was bad, and the whole affair was dumb and unfair, and did nothing to improve the game. This game I mention was a prime example of the sort of poor choices that make the lurking problem worse and drive people away from the Mafia community entirely.