Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice

Jeb!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

There was louder applause for the Gun control question than there was for Jeb when he came out.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I liked the decision strike sketch, let's see how the Jeb interview goes...

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

oh my god colbert is back

and he is loving incredible

JESUS it's incredible to see interviewing like this again on late night

also god drat the set is wonderful. that ceiling is insanely well done

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Sep 9, 2015

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

wow, john stewart is executive producing this

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

wow, john stewart is executive producing this
I caught that too in the credits.

So, Stewart is just going to leech the success of Colbert until Stephen tells him to gently caress off much like Letterman did when he bolted NBC?

It couldn't happen soon enough from where I sit.
Jon Stewart brings nothing to the table other than a former relationship.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
his company also produced the colbert report, calm down

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Thumbtacks posted:

The Daily Show and Colbert Report were essentially collaborative programs that shared much of their writing staff, and both were produced by the same people

I suppose you could say that Stephen didn't build that, he owes his success to the infrastructure around him

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Thumbtacks posted:

I know that... and I still say it's a leech in this incarnation.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Lol dude He got an Executive Producer credit and a cameo in the first episode.

Might want to chill out on the rhetoric.

EP credits are handed out for any number of things he could have done to help.

Also, Jon got offered the late night job first anyway IIRC, he turned it down.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Sep 9, 2015

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
This show's alright, but it's going to take me a little while to get used to it. No matter how dumb it is, there's some part of me that wants the same theme song (which Dave carried with him from NBC), wonders what closet Alan Kalter was stuffed into, and tries to mentally visualize the old set onto the new one. I'm still doing the "remember where the set elements used to be" thing with the Late Late Show, so it's going to take me a while.

Overall, Colbert's writers are good but he does still have the loud, slick manner of talking he did on the Report as part of his Mock Cable News Host gag. Since I expected a more soft-toned guy who was closer to who he is in interviews than as a fictional host, I'm taken aback a bit but willing to give him some time. Conan didn't look like Conan for a couple years either.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm actually happy he's keeping the feeling of the Colbert Report (hopefully permanently). The graphics packages / video segments shown on The Daily Show and Last Week Tonight feel like a better evolution of late night to me vs. the Jimmy Fallon and Jimmy Kimmel method of packaging what will work best for youtube.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I could take the "Stephen" chant once per show with the Report, barely, but I really hope it doesn't become a thing for three-four times every show. Aside from that and a bit of a slow start, I liked it a lot.

Are there episodes of the Colbert Report available anywhere besides the CC website? I'd love to go back and watch them.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

The Dave posted:

I'm actually happy he's keeping the feeling of the Colbert Report (hopefully permanently).

I loved The Colbert Report. I know dyed-in-the-wool conservatives who loved the Colbert Report. But it lasted for nine years, and transcended into books and even a live stage show. It accomplished a lot, and I'd like to see Steven eventually find a voice of a formal host rather than just "evolving" the character by taking out the most blatantly absurd bits. It's okay for just starting out, but in five years I hope he hasn't changed so little that he could slip in a "Nation..." nod and nobody blinks.

Maybe I'd feel a little more comfortable if The Daily Show had chosen cancellation over Trevor Noah. I don't know what that's going to look like, but between that and Oliver's show I really don't want MORE of the "Comedy Central late-night style" taking over the schedule. Maybe this isn't the case to people who didn't reach adulthood before Dubya was elected, but that hosting technique in and of itself is becoming routine to me. I give Oliver's impression of Jon a pass because he's using his show as a bully pulpit to address failures of justice and government, but nine years of the Report was a long time.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Sep 9, 2015

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Robnoxious posted:

I caught that too in the credits.

So, Stewart is just going to leech the success of Colbert until Stephen tells him to gently caress off much like Letterman did when he bolted NBC?

It couldn't happen soon enough from where I sit.
Jon Stewart brings nothing to the table other than a former relationship.

Stewart and Colbert have been friends and collaborators for many years. This is really a bizarre post.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I didn't watch Colbert Report / Daily Show regularly so maybe that's part of the reason for the divide in opinion.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Why does CBS have the first episode listed as 9/8/1915? :psyduck:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Why does CBS have the first episode listed as 9/8/1915? :psyduck:

Y2K bug strikes again!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Craptacular! posted:

Maybe I'd feel a little more comfortable if The Daily Show had chosen cancellation over Trevor Noah. I don't know what that's going to look like, but between that and Oliver's show I really don't want MORE of the "Comedy Central late-night style" taking over the schedule. Maybe this isn't the case to people who didn't reach adulthood before Dubya was elected, but that hosting technique in and of itself is becoming routine to me. I give Oliver's impression of Jon a pass because he's using his show as a bully pulpit to address failures of justice and government, but nine years of the Report was a long time.

Why would you not give someone else the chance to change up the "Daily Show" format and evolve it like Stewart did with Kilborn's show.

Stewart leaves big rear end shoes to fill but the show was around before him why in the hell would you cancel it just because he decides to leave. At least give Noah a chance to show what he can do.

The Nightly show is a completely different format, which I love the format of, but in practice can be pretty hit or miss.

Oliver's show is once a week and only like 26 episodes or so a year, and is a deep dive into one topic usually.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm glad Lessig made it into Colbert's graphic of all the presidential candidates. :unsmith:

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

I could take the "Stephen" chant once per show with the Report, barely, but I really hope it doesn't become a thing for three-four times every show. Aside from that and a bit of a slow start, I liked it a lot.

I don't think you have to worry about this, seemed like he was trying to get people to cool it by not feeding into it like he used to. Back on the Report he would have eaten it up of course.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mooseontheloose posted:

There is a not so small part of me that wishes Conan would go into producing because I think he is starting to run the show dry but still has amazing talent for writing and developing.

I think Conan will be the first to tell you that he has fewer days ahead of him hosting than there are behind. He has another three years left on his deal with TBS and I honestly doubt he'll re-sign after that.

I can't imagine how much going from that beautiful Tonight Show set to the cramped bandbox that is his TBS set demoralized him.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I instinctively went to ColbertNation.com to try and find the first episode, because I forced myself to go to bed before the interviews. The CBS stream sucks, disables adblock, and when adblock isn't enabled, plays the audio and visuals for the commercials over the audio of the show.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
It's almost like television shows need to be paid for somehow.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
I really don't understand why anyone wanted to get the Late Show, to do the milquetoast hour to begin with. Comedians idolize the format too much, but the reality is late shows are a decrepit franchise with younger guys trying too hard to fill shoes, and not just go loving nuts with it like good comedy demands.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Was anyone else hoping he'd still bask in the audience applause when introducing his guests like he did on the Report?

He started jogging over to Jeb and I thought he was going to do it, but then he switched and became gracious towards him

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Spiky Ooze posted:

I really don't understand why anyone wanted to get the Late Show, to do the milquetoast hour to begin with. Comedians idolize the format too much, but the reality is late shows are a decrepit franchise with younger guys trying too hard to fill shoes, and not just go loving nuts with it like good comedy demands.

These shows are legacies. Stephen said it himself, Dave was his idol and now he gets to take over Dave's legacy. But he also has enough freedom to make it his own.

After only one episode I feel confident that Colbert can make the show his own.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
never watched Colbert Report since i wasn't much of a political guy but i thought it was pretty good. i wonder what type of comedy bits he's going to do like the other late night hosts (except letterman) do.

at least i don't have to decide what channel to switch over after conan ends!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Sabra responds

http://www.wsj.com/articles/BL-269B-4488

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

I like how at the end of Colbert's intro it just cuts to a quick zoom of him sitting at his desk. Talk shows normally make a big deal out of showing the host come out from a curtain, and Colbert really played that up in the Colbert Report, but they seem to be going in the opposite direction. Nice intro animation, then just cut right to the jokes instead of wasting time. It feels very modern, and I like it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zero One posted:

These shows are legacies. Stephen said it himself, Dave was his idol and now he gets to take over Dave's legacy. But he also has enough freedom to make it his own.

After only one episode I feel confident that Colbert can make the show his own.

That's what I'm happiest about : CBS is apparently giving Colbert room to make the show his own, and Colbert is running with it. That's really encouraging and exciting.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
The house band is awesome.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Komojo posted:

I like how at the end of Colbert's intro it just cuts to a quick zoom of him sitting at his desk. Talk shows normally make a big deal out of showing the host come out from a curtain, and Colbert really played that up in the Colbert Report, but they seem to be going in the opposite direction. Nice intro animation, then just cut right to the jokes instead of wasting time. It feels very modern, and I like it.

Did you miss him coming out for the monologue?

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

mr. unhsib posted:

jon baptiste is new late night bae

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Liked the show a lot apart from the monologue which is always total poo poo in every one of these shows, I guess inevitably. The whole bit with the cursed medallion was so goddamn Colbert.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I booed at the Ashley Madison joke. No way Colbert wrote that one.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

mr. unhsib posted:

Yeah, The Roots have serious competition for best late-night house band, now.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Philip Rivers posted:

I booed at the Ashley Madison joke. No way Colbert wrote that one.

Eh, that is exactly the type of joke he would have made on the Colbert Report about it.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

And whether he wrote it or not, it's not like jokes can get snuck in without his approval.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The Colbert Report is already getting retconned to a show where every line was a work of staggering genius from day 1. Come on people.