Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Enough about Hal, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Mafia thread I very much do not want to work today.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

CCKeane posted:

same, so i am shitposting instead

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

JakeP posted:

same, so i am shitposting instead

How is that different from any other day?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

TMMadman posted:

How is that different from any other day?

i dont get a lot of work done

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

merk posted:

Let's stop lurking. It is killing every active game.

Yeah, it especially bothers me when scum players actively lurk because they know towns hate voting lurkers. It's a pretty scummy irl way to play the game imo.

I think something like a Lights Out mechanic is a great way around that town block though, since if towns can have multiple executions a day they become more willing to vote for players due to a lack of content. Though, Lights Out games are harder to balance. I also wouldn't be against maybe a "Lights Out" but only for players who don't meet some sort of (ideally not-too-arbitrary) limit? Sort of a, "town gets to vote for 1 player they think is scum and get an extra lurker vote free of charge!"

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I tend to lurk as either alignment in the beginning of the game because I have a hard time reading anything or getting any useful information so I usually just poo poo post until I can get a good idea of things then I usually post more.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

CapitalistPig posted:

I tend to lurk as either alignment in the beginning of the game because I have a hard time reading anything or getting any useful information so I usually just poo poo post until I can get a good idea of things then I usually post more.

ftfy

i kid ;)

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

CCKeane posted:

I'll trade you, I very much want to work and can't because I don't have access to the database tables needed to do my job. I'm so bored.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Byers2142 posted:

I'll trade you, I very much want to work and can't because I don't have access to the database tables needed to do my job. I'm so bored.

just hack the gibson

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I got Brady and ap. I win. Sorry guys

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i generally just end up watching webinars on potential performance monitoring software or data warehousing and whatnot when that kind of poo poo happens

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Kumbamontu posted:

ftfy

i kid ;)

That's actually fairly accurate for the most part, the problem is my effort usually starts after day 3 so its hard to even get that far.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
yeah I find sometimes I "lurk" the beginning of a game as well if I am having a hard time breaking into it. Aside from the occasional scum deliberately lurking, most lurking is unintentional. It's hard to expect someone to say something when they have nothing to say.

But there's still the reality that if it's the same five people talking to each other the game stagnates. I think the moderator should play an active role in prodding players, making replacements, and trying mechanics to empower towns to handle their lurkers more effectively.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Byers2142 posted:

DEAL.

I go back into the field in a few weeks, im I'm in a BT of a holding pattern until then.

A month from now I'l be either climbing ladders or napping, two of my favorite things.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Sometimes I sign up for a game and get so busy I have trouble posting. I try to replace out and encourage others to do that.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I tend to :justpost:

But people can sometimes find me irritating and frustrating. Of course, people have been saying that about me for like 25 years, so I'm used to it by now.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I tend to get into a groove and post a lot and then lose focus and end up not posting much so my content is usually in bursts

Seems to work out decently in general

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

I know I lurk a lot when I don't have things to say, or when I check the thread and someone's already said what I was thinking of saying. I feel like the attitude that if your thought isn't new and something nobody's said before then it's scummy "me-too"ing doesn't help that either

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I liked Ecco's death wall idea. I think it should be employed every day by every mod. If we start a general practice of 'hey, you die if you lurk,' then it will dissuade people from lurking over a long term. In the short term, yes, games will be decided based on modkill lurk deaths. I think the payoff long term is worth it though.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Chic Trombone posted:

I know I lurk a lot when I don't have things to say, or when I check the thread and someone's already said what I was thinking of saying. I feel like the attitude that if your thought isn't new and something nobody's said before then it's scummy "me-too"ing doesn't help that either

yeah this is definitely true too. Having two or three postpostpost players in a game can actually encourage stagnation since they say everything you would have said and they do it in a lot of posts which can be a pain to read.

merk posted:

I liked Ecco's death wall idea.
It was inspired by an almost-identical idea that (Pecota?) had in a game last year. The idea of towns just saying "save or sacrifice" to lurkers just as a free choice has always been interesting to me.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

merk posted:

I liked Ecco's death wall idea. I think it should be employed every day by every mod. If we start a general practice of 'hey, you die if you lurk,' then it will dissuade people from lurking over a long term. In the short term, yes, games will be decided based on modkill lurk deaths. I think the payoff long term is worth it though.

I'm on board with this as well.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

Chic Trombone posted:

Actually that sort of post, when you are Town, can be very helpful. Any sincere opinion or reaction put on the record tends to be beneficial to Town. Concurring with someone you judge to be a fellow Tiwnie increases their confidence in their own read and signals to them that you are also Town.
"I agree, this is a good point, I got the same impression from that" posts are more often made by Town because Scum benefit from keeping their stances as flexible as possible so they can vote opportunistically without contradicting themselves.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Chic Trombone posted:

Yeah I mentioned that at some point, our community regarding me tooing as scummy is lovely and doesn't really make sense. I don't think me tooing is an alignment tell at all, it's a laziness tell at best

Another one that I think we as a community get really wrong is so-called OMGUS. I think OMGUS is actually a town tell if anything, as most scum players (knowing the meta of SA mafia that OMGUS is perceived as bad and scummy) tend to shy away from doing it. I generally see OMGUS coming from frustrated town players and almost never see scum do it.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
For those who didn't read the game that just finished, "ecco's Wall of Death" idea was something like this:

- Players who fail to make 10 content posts (judged by the mod) OR meet the mod's postcount by the end of the day will find themselves chained to a wall over a cliff. After the day's execution (and flip), all the players chained to the wall are collectively voted for by the town to ##save or ##die. If a majority vote to save the players get replaced. If a majority vote to die, all them are modkilled and flipped.

It needs tweaking obviously, and it never actually happened in practice since the players who were at risk managed to up their posting, but it's an interesting idea at least.

e: it also gave lumpen a conniption so you know I think we should do it forever and ever amen.

e2: see? vv he still mad.

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 9, 2015

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

merk posted:

I agree that something similar could be okay if it is clearly laid out in the OP from the start rather than imposed piecemeal with vague requirements and consequences on some arbitrary mid-game whim.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

TMMadman posted:

I tend to :justpost:

But people can sometimes find me irritating and frustrating. Of course, people have been saying that about me for like 25 years, so I'm used to it by now.

I've figured it out, TMM reminds me of windshipper.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CapitalistPig posted:

I've figured it out, TMM reminds me of windshipper.

Should I be insulted or honored?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Magnus Gallant posted:

I got Brady and ap. I win. Sorry guys

i laid down a sick burn in the draft about APs grandson being in my grad school program

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Also i got tebow so god is on my teams side

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

TMMadman posted:

Should I be insulted or honored?

:iiam:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

JakeP posted:

Also i got tebow so god is on my teams side

wait what tebow is playing again? when did that happen

i am a bad gator alumnus apparently

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Lumpen posted:

I agree that something similar could be okay if it is clearly laid out in the OP from the start rather than imposed piecemeal with vague requirements and consequences on some arbitrary mid-game whim.

lol please stop

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Merk, I make fun of you a lot, but you are both a good player and someone who makes a lot of good points about the community and trends and such. I agree with pretty much everything you've been saying. (Although I do favor action heavy games)

That is my hot take.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I still believe that 9 out of 10 times you know who is gonna lurk and who isn't at signup and if you want your game to not be lurky then you have to be particular about who you let play.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

CCKeane posted:

Merk, I make fun of you a lot, but you are both a good player and someone who makes a lot of good points about the community and trends and such. I agree with pretty much everything you've been saying. (Although I do favor action heavy games)

That is my hot take.

You smell.

That is my hot take.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Kumbamontu posted:

wait what tebow is playing again? when did that happen

i am a bad gator alumnus apparently

he was on the eagles preseason squad but got released. He isn't technically on a team but having him on my team will inspire the other players

it actually looked like he would make the team for a day when the eagles traded perenial third stringer matt barkley, but then we droped teebs and picked up some schlub i never heard of that prolly hates god

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

culture the game you want but recognize that beyond the "haha we're all terrible" the majority of this community is seriously socially maladjusted and almost anyone can make games unpleasant for other players at the drop of a hat

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Ecco, would you like some help making the setup for the "BRING BACK OUR COMMUNITY" game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

merk posted:

Ecco, would you like some help making the setup for the "BRING BACK OUR COMMUNITY" game?

I haven't even made any progress on it either way. I think I can handle it fine enough though! I just need inspiration.