Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Red posted:

It has to make Cartoon Network money in order to stay on the air.

It's basically a prestige project, ratings are low af.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
some CN execs probably really like it

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Where's it fall on the list of "longest running" shows now? since aqua teen is even gone now, I gotta imagine it's pretty close to the top

Edit: Nevermind, looked it up, according to the wiki it IS the longest now, starting 2 years before Squidbillies and Robot Chicken.

Venture Bros: 2003 - Present, so like 12 years
Aqua Teen: 2001 – 15

Tatsuta Age fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 9, 2015

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Tatsuta Age posted:

Where's it fall on the list of "longest running" shows now? since aqua teen is even gone now, I gotta imagine it's pretty close to the top

Edit: Nevermind, looked it up, according to the wiki it IS the longest now, starting 2 years before Squidbillies and Robot Chicken.

Venture Bros: 2003 - Present, so like 12 years
Aqua Teen: 2001 – 15

Does it show how many seasons/episodes there are?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Based on the Rick and Morty thread's consistent terribleness, I'm pretty happy nobody actually watches Venture Brothers.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I feel like Rick and Morty has basically replaced VB for me. It's the same kind of sensibility but with a bunch more staff and lower animation standards, so it actually gets a full season every year.

I honestly have trouble remembering what happened last season on VB. Was the last episode the Gargantua 2 one?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Entropic posted:

I feel like Rick and Morty has basically replaced VB for me. It's the same kind of sensibility but with a bunch more staff and lower animation standards, so it actually gets a full season every year.

I honestly have trouble remembering what happened last season on VB. Was the last episode the Gargantua 2 one?

Last episode was Gargantua 2.

I think both are great shows but I prefer the much more deliberate pacing of Venture Brothers as opposed to how manic Rick and Morty gets. I also feel like Venture Brothers is able to tell more kinds of stories with the deep stable of characters it has.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Entropic posted:

That aired in January 2015, a year and a half after Season 5 ended.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Entropic posted:

Yep! Jonas Jr. and the Sovereign (who is not actually David Bowie) ate it, Rusty is running Venture Industries now that JJ left it to him in his will, and the Guild has a space base and new leadership, including Dr. Mrs. The Monarch, courtesy of Dr. Killinger.

Oh and the Investors were the same thing that Killinger is but evil, but they're dead now so who cares.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

some CN execs probably really like it

Those dudes on the golf course who got executed by the OSI are the producers for the show, so they are probably on pretty friendly terms.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
From what I understood when new Venture Brothers are out they do very well and reruns are very steady in terms of viewership. Adult Swim doesn't do a ton of major publicity behind the series due to two reasons 1: the long times between seasons makes it hard to drum up a steady amount of buzz like they did between Rick and Morty for instance and 2: Doc and Jackson do not like to do much press so it is hard for them to get a ton of publicity to drum up support. They will do stuff when they appear at stuff like Dragoncon or SDCC/NYCC but that is about it. I think they finally broke down and did some phone interviews around season 5 but even that was a huge deal.

The show does really well on DVD, VoD, etc as well. From what I gather production costs are very low compared to other traditionally animated stuff so Adult Swim makes money from the show, the guys don't get much if any hassle from the network and pretty much everyone is happy.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

rick and morty isn't as funny as vb

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Davincie posted:

rick and morty isn't as funny as vb

Nothing VB ever does will be as good as seeing the end of Rick Potion #9 the first time. :gonk:

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Entropic posted:

Nothing VB ever does will be as good as seeing the end of Rick Potion #9 the first time. :gonk:

your opinions, they're bad and wrong

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Both shows are good. Rick and Morty fills a Futurama shaped void in my "TV Shows still airing" schedule.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if the costs of VB are literally just studio rent and cost of living for Public and Hammer during preproduction.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
They have other jobs, right?
I mean they aren't taking this long to do nothing but write and storyboard the one show?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know it's two dudes doing the job of what is normal a team of at least 5-10 people.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Doc Hammer's got a kickass band (who did an amazing cover of my favorite song), but I doubt that really qualifies as a job.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Entropic posted:

I mean they aren't taking this long to do nothing but write and storyboard the one show?
If I recall they said in an interview they make "GAP manager money"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

SRM posted:

If I recall they said in an interview they make "GAP manager money"

Gap manager money doesn't let you live in SoHo though and that's where Doc must live because I see him there all the time.

I could definitely see him being on some ancient rent control thing though.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Entropic posted:

Not really. Doc and Jackson both write and storyboard the seasons, Jackson deals with the direction and overall show running while Doc focuses on the returns of animation from Korea. The writing takes about 6-12 weeks depending on a variety of factors, voice recording is done, once a episode is ready to go to Korea for animation it is anywhere from 6-10 weeks for the results to come back in which the animation is gone over to check for mistakes and issues in which those are taken down and it is sent back to Korea for fixes which takes about another 4 weeks. Then foley and additional voice work is done, everything is cut together for a final edit and it is sent to Adult Swim. After a season is done they take a break for a couple of months to recharge.

For pretty much any standard traditional animated show it is about 6-8 months minimum from start to finish to have a finished product, I imagine Venture Bros is closer to 7-10 just due to it being two guys doing 90% of the work. To compare something like Rick and Morty has a full writing team like a sitcom along with a full design and storyboard team. When you have more people you can get more product out the door but it is much more expensive and much harder to keep the quality and feel of show the same episode to episode. The Simpsons are a good example of how a show changes going from writing and design team to team. You can have a near 365 production schedule going with that kind of setup but you suffer in both quality and burnout of talent.

The Venture Bros is incredibly unique as it is pretty much the only show ever created by effectively two guys, I can't think of anything else before or since that is like it. For better or worse it is one of the things that makes the show great.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Doc Hammer does a lot of the editing himself as well, iirc. It really is two guys pet project with some incidental support staff.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Entropic posted:

They have other projects so they don't burn out on this, like Doc's band, but honestly it seems more like procrastination tactics to me. I base this dumb opinion on the dozen of artists I've known over the years and their similar behaviors.

They also have to do voice work, which maybe they go all Kubrick on themselves and do like 67 takes for each scene. At any rate I really wish Adult Swim would force them to delegate poo poo out for just one episode to see how they think it goes. Have they even tried doing it the way other studios do it? Haven't they only had like at most 4 people working at Astrobase Go or something? At least for preproduction stuff before they begin animation and have Warburton and Urbaniak send in their lines.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Brightman posted:

They also have to do voice work, which maybe they go all Kubrick on themselves and do like 67 takes for each scene. At any rate I really wish Adult Swim would force them to delegate poo poo out for just one episode to see how they think it goes. Have they even tried doing it the way other studios do it? Haven't they only had like at most 4 people working at Astrobase Go or something? At least for preproduction stuff before they begin animation and have Warburton and Urbaniak send in their lines.

From what I gathered early on they had other people working with them but there were issues that caused more problems than they solved. Most of the time is spent either writing or waiting for animation to come back from Korea two things that can't really be sped up much.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I assume AS pays them by the episode and doesn't have them on salary, right?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Brightman posted:

They have other projects so they don't burn out on this, like Doc's band, but honestly it seems more like procrastination tactics to me. I base this dumb opinion on the dozen of artists I've known over the years and their similar behaviors.

Why mess with success? Don't get greedy here.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Djarum posted:

From what I gathered early on they had other people working with them but there were issues that caused more problems than they solved. Most of the time is spent either writing or waiting for animation to come back from Korea two things that can't really be sped up much.

They had a good pace going for a bit between seasons 3-4, 13 episodes, 8 the next year, and another 8 nine months later, so if it was then I could see it, and maybe they were just working with assholes, but if not then less stress is worth it.

theflyingexecutive posted:

Why mess with success? Don't get greedy here.

I'm just saying if they haven't tried that then maybe they should so if it works they won't be as likely to burn out on making the show. There might also be a case of diminishing returns but that's pretty much unknowable.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 9, 2015

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003
I had gotten the impression that they wanted to end the series with Season 4 but had some TV execs (the Investors!) throw some money at them, so now they're still making episodes but not as motivated as they were. Operation P.R.O.M. would have been a good series ender.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Entropic posted:

I assume AS pays them by the episode and doesn't have them on salary, right?

I am not 100% for sure but most television contracts pay you per episode delivered. So lets say you work on a sitcom, you sign a contract for 3 seasons which is normal at let's say $22,000 a episode which is also pretty standard for a show runner, head writer or named cast member. For network television now a season can be anywhere from 8-24 episodes, networks prefer to have more episodes per season to increase the amount of episodes payed at a lower rate before a contract is up and the talent is due for a raise in renegotiation and to have more episodes in the can for syndication before they will be forced to pay a bigger royalty rate on the remaining episodes.

So unless your series is on for 4+ years you aren't making much money in television. If you have a hit show, after the 3rd year you get hit payday, which hopefully makes up for you eating poo poo for the previous years. A lot of people are now taking less money up front and instead wanting a bigger piece of a syndication royalty money, which a few people on big shows of the 90s and 00s did and are now very, very wealthy. That is a spin of the bottle though as there are few shows that last in syndication more than a few years.

Now with the Venture Bros I wouldn't be surprised if the guy's pay comes out of the season budget. I have heard something about Adult Swim doing something akin to that before. If not I wouldn't be surprised if they are making somewhere around $15,000 a episode which would put them around Gap Manager money as well as what limited royalty and license money they get as well.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Brightman posted:

I'm just saying if they haven't tried that then maybe they should so if it works they won't be as likely to burn out on making the show. There might also be a case of diminishing returns but that's pretty much unknowable.

It's not something you can just try for one episode though. You'd have to do a whole season with that production style and then if you don't like it, you have to fire every person you brought on with whom you had been working for months.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

It's not something you can just try for one episode though. You'd have to do a whole season with that production style and then if you don't like it, you have to fire every person you brought on with whom you had been working for months.

Hypothetical wishes don't have to make sense dammit :v:

Also according to Djarum they already tried this at some point, so it's moot.

Djarum posted:

Now with the Venture Bros I wouldn't be surprised if the guy's pay comes out of the season budget. I have heard something about Adult Swim doing something akin to that before. If not I wouldn't be surprised if they are making somewhere around $15,000 a episode which would put them around Gap Manager money as well as what limited royalty and license money they get as well.

If they made any money off the shirts then I don't think money is something they care about otherwise they could just open an online shirt shop and not just have limited run shirt clubs each season.

They probably don't make any money off the shirts :(

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Djarum posted:

The Venture Bros is incredibly unique as it is pretty much the only show ever created by effectively two guys, I can't think of anything else before or since that is like it. For better or worse it is one of the things that makes the show great.

South Park.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Brightman posted:

If they made any money off the shirts then I don't think money is something they care about otherwise they could just open an online shirt shop and not just have limited run shirt clubs each season.

They probably don't make any money off the shirts :(

I believe they have said they made a little off of the shirts but it is mostly a fun thing for them to do. I believe the reason why they don't have a online shop is they wanted to make a little bit of money off of the project and having a ton of inventory that may or may not sell isn't a way to do it. I kinda wish they would do a greatest hits reprint sometime as some of my shirts are holding up better than others but I understand why not.

Silhouette posted:

South Park.

South Park has a huge writing team among other things, it is a huge operation. Matt and Trey I believe are still involved in some capacity in everything it is nothing like the Venture Bros.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Djarum posted:

I believe they have said they made a little off of the shirts but it is mostly a fun thing for them to do. I believe the reason why they don't have a online shop is they wanted to make a little bit of money off of the project and having a ton of inventory that may or may not sell isn't a way to do it. I kinda wish they would do a greatest hits reprint sometime as some of my shirts are holding up better than others but I understand why not.

They could do the shirts in group buys or something if inventory is a concern, but yeah, I just want shirts.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Djarum posted:

South Park has a huge writing team among other things, it is a huge operation. Matt and Trey I believe are still involved in some capacity in everything it is nothing like the Venture Bros.

South Park is impressive because of the way they produce each episode. They produce each episode in its entirety from scratch (from vague idea or no idea whatsoever to storyboards to animated/voiced) every week during the season. They are able to do that by having a big staff of computer animators sleeping under their desks waiting for, say, the voiceover work to be completed at 3 am so the lip-syncing can happen.

Comedy Central did a documentary called Six Days to Air about the process. It looks like it's incredibly stressful and difficult, but it's how they can do topical episodes when most cartoons have to avoid topical humor entirely, since a topical joke that would be funny today would be trite a year or so later, when the episode actually aired.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Gap manager money doesn't let you live in SoHo though and that's where Doc must live because I see him there all the time.

I could definitely see him being on some ancient rent control thing though.

He lives in a haunted apartment with a ghost that apparently cleans the litter box

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

X_Toad posted:

Previews of what? Season 7? Season 6? If the later, is there any way to see those previews?

They put up a preview and some scenes while doing their panel during Dragon Con this year. Unfortunately, nothing in a search has come up with anything worth viewing that looks like absolute poo poo on a shaky cam.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They're going to end up like those lunatic brothers who barricaded themselves inside their mansion for 30 years and boobytrapped it, aren't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Jack Gladney posted:

They're going to end up like those lunatic brothers who barricaded themselves inside their mansion for 30 years and boobytrapped it, aren't they?

Well, their work space has a name, Astrobase Go, that sounds like the kind of place that would be the scene for barricaded brotherly boobytrappery.