Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Can anyone get the video on this page to play? I tried restarting with add-ons disabled, but I still just get a black box. Same result on Chrome, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read
Dec 21, 2010

hooah posted:

Can anyone get the video on this page to play? I tried restarting with add-ons disabled, but I still just get a black box. Same result on Chrome, even.

No, just use this link instead.

https://wiki.hpcc.msu.edu/download/attachments/14780780/WindowsExample.mp4

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah, I tried the "download video" link, and that's where it sent me. Which worked pretty well, except for about halfway through the video stopped playing, but the audio continued. Scrubbed a bit and it was fine.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
My Sync hasn't been working on one of my computers for the last ~24-48 hours (that I've noticed). It just says "Sync encountered an error while syncing: Unknown error. Sync will automatically retry this action." Hitting "Sync Now" pops up the same error bar after all of about one second. The extent of my troubleshooting so far has been to logout and log back into my sync account (yeah, I'm using the new sync, not the old one) on this system and that hasn't changed anything. And the Firefox sync troubleshooting page doesn't seem to have anything pertinent. Anyone have any tips to try to figure out what's up?

This is FF 40.0.3 on Win10 Pro. As far as I can tell sync is still working just fine on my Ubuntu 14.04 laptop (same FF version, I'm pretty sure). At least, I haven't been told it can't sync.

Edit: And, at least, refreshing Firefox seems to not have fixed it, either.

fourwood fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 9, 2015

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

If anyone hasn't tried the Clean Links addon, you really need to try. It basically re-writes google/fb/whatever links that go to a tracking page then redirect to the real page, and has them go direct to the real page.

Even if you're not a member of the tinfoil hat crew, everything just feels so much smoother than previously, also google shopping links work now, for the first time in years.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Lum posted:

If anyone hasn't tried the Clean Links addon, you really need to try. It basically re-writes google/fb/whatever links that go to a tracking page then redirect to the real page, and has them go direct to the real page.

Even if you're not a member of the tinfoil hat crew, everything just feels so much smoother than previously, also google shopping links work now, for the first time in years.

Thank you a lot for this. It pisses me to now end how I see "Link: yadayada.com" in status bar, then I copy it to paste it to someone and it turns into a long sausage of garbage. It really is bait and switch via javascript :cripes:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've been playing around with the newest edition of Firefox after switching from it to Chrome years ago. So far so good. I love the insane amount of customization it gives you and the tabs group feature might make me switch full time. Speed wise it seems pretty similar. Added the few standard add-ons I use all the time and havent had any issues.

Does enabling tracking protection and running Disconnect offer any additional protection? If I'm reading correctly tracking protection is just Disconnect embedded within Firefox or it was based off of Disconnect?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I switched from FF to chrome some years ago and started to switch back but noticed some things. YouTube videos look washed out compared to chrome. FF feels slow, its hard to explain but the mouse feels slower, the program feels slow, like its all stuck in virtual molasses. Anything that can be done about those?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Unrelated, but that was pretty awesome.

"WAIT, those were TWO DIFFERENT MOVIES?".

:3:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

wormil posted:

I switched from FF to chrome some years ago and started to switch back but noticed some things. YouTube videos look washed out compared to chrome. FF feels slow, its hard to explain but the mouse feels slower, the program feels slow, like its all stuck in virtual molasses. Anything that can be done about those?
It sounds like you have outdated videocard drivers that are causing Firefox to disable hardware acceleration. Make sure you download the latest drivers from your GPU manufacturer (Intel, AMD, or nVidia).

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Does enabling tracking protection and running Disconnect offer any additional protection? If I'm reading correctly tracking protection is just Disconnect embedded within Firefox or it was based off of Disconnect?

Probably running both is redundant. Firefox will block the network requests before Disconnect gets to see them. Firefox has its own implementation and blocklist, but the initial blocklist used by Tracking Protection is based on Disconnect's blocklist.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Alereon posted:

It sounds like you have outdated videocard drivers that are causing Firefox to disable hardware acceleration. Make sure you download the latest drivers from your GPU manufacturer (Intel, AMD, or nVidia).

Whatever it was fixed itself. I had installed a new video card last night, I did update the drivers. But while I was gone today W10 installed more updates and problem solved. It even feels a little snappier. Chalk one up for MS.

Bokito
Jul 25, 2007
Going Ape
I'm on the beta channel, and a couple of days ago I started to have frequent crashes whenever the Flash plugin was used on a page (after an update to 41b9 which was still called b9 for some reason). Sometimes Firefox would just hang, and sometimes it would even crash the Intel graphics driver (black screen followed by a popup that the graphics driver crashed). On a couple of websites the crashes were 100% repeatable.

Apparently there was a last minute change regarding the asynchronous loading of plugins to prevent crashes. My crashes started after they applied this fix.

See: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1204036

After I set dom.ipc.plugins.asyncInit.enabled back to True the crashes went away.

So if anybody is experiencing this, play around with this setting to see what happens. I hope they sort this out before 41 final lands (RC1 just came out)

Bokito fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Sep 18, 2015

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Bokito posted:

I'm on the beta channel, and a couple of days ago I started to have frequent crashes whenever the Flash plugin was used on a page (after an update to 41b9 which was still called b9 for some reason). Sometimes Firefox would just hang, and sometimes it would even crash the Intel graphics driver (black screen followed by a popup that the graphics driver crashed). On a couple of websites the crashes were 100% repeatable.

Apparently there was a last minute change regarding the asynchronous loading of plugins to prevent crashes. My crashes started after they applied this fix.

See: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1204036

After I set dom.ipc.plugins.asyncInit.enabled back to True the crashes went away.

So if anybody is experiencing this, play around with this setting to see what happens. I hope they sort this out before 41 final lands (RC1 just came out)

I've been having this issue and I thought it had something to do with my setup. I'll give that fix a shot and report back.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

wormil posted:

That's a fun way of putting it. As far as I know, there's not much to do about it. There has been made great improvements to the feel of FF the past 5 years, but I guess something fundamental about the engine will always make it feel a bit (note I said a bit) sluggish compared to Chrome. Ah well, it's not a deal breaker for me at all.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Is there a way to construct a uBlock filter that will filter out any objects containing a certain object a certain distance down? Like, when you select the element it shows:

###post_1286 > .post_wrapper > .post_header > .post_info_recommended

And you want to block anything with .post_info_recommended if it's got that two levels inbetween deep? Because most of the other post_whatever on the page won't have it.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

So, offical 64bit Firefox on Tuesday?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Lum posted:

Statistically speaking: Probably not?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Lum posted:

Nope.

Death to Flash Player.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Oh wells, back to Waterfox then.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Any way to get Firefox to use the Windows 10 Mail app for mailto links?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Any way to get Firefox to use the Windows 10 Mail app for mailto links?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I often RDP in to computers at school, and I've noticed that the PDF rendering in Firefox on those computers is pretty pixelated over RDP, although (I believe) it looks fine in person. Is this the doing of RDP alone, or some combination of RDP and Firefox? Is there a way to alleviate it?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

hooah posted:

I often RDP in to computers at school, and I've noticed that the PDF rendering in Firefox on those computers is pretty pixelated over RDP, although (I believe) it looks fine in person. Is this the doing of RDP alone, or some combination of RDP and Firefox? Is there a way to alleviate it?

I don't use the built-in PDF reader, but I do know that Firefox disables all hardware acceleration over RDP. If you open Firefox over RDP and go to about :support you'll see that acceleration is blocked for the virtual driver. That may be what's responsible for the drop in quality.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

The Mail app isn't listed there.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I believe you want "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.6208.42001.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\HxMail.exe"

But I get this complaint when I try to run it on its own and I don't know enough about how Windows distinguishes/treats "apps" and regular programs to say if this is a circumvent-able problem.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Has anyone been encountering this problem? After upgrading to Firefox 41, the Mozilla Archive Format add-on completely shits the bed whenever I try to open a .maff file. I've tried this with both the signed and beta versions, if that helps. Hopefully they either fix this or someone finds a solution quickly, as this renders a good six years worth of backups almost-completely worthless.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

A very superficial google tells me the action should be set to TWINUI in Firefox and the default action for mailto in Windows should be set to the mail app. So you'll need to dig up the relevant "default programs" settings for that in the control panel. If that still exists and is accessible in Windows 10. The screenshots I saw were from Windows 8. I remember there being some free third party utility for changing what to do with different filetypes, which may be of assistance, possibly, if the UI was removed in 10. Don't remember what that was called exactly.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

So you'll need to dig up the relevant "default programs" settings for that in the control panel.

The old control panel is still there in Windows 10, just search for "default programs".

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Still not picking up the Mail app for me. Ah well.

We need the thread title changed to check out uBlock Origin by the way; uBlock hasn't been touched since 1st June.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I updated the title, we were at our character limit but I reworded things to fit "Origin" in. The link and such in the OP was already correct.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Alereon posted:

I updated the title, we were at our character limit but I reworded things to fit "Origin" in. The link and such in the OP was already correct.

Smashing stuff son.

Is there an ETA on Electrolysis making it to the Beta or Release channels? It's unusable for me on the Developer channel. It's probably my extensions not playing well with it but the performance is horrendous.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
The regular LastPass extension was the only one that gave me grief (but I don't use a ton)

They have a build that plays nicely with e10s (and has a better UI imo)
https://rodan.lastpass.com/dev/lp_e10s.xpi

Bugzilla ticket: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1008768

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Welp, 42b1 was just shat out and broke Tree Style Tab completely.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
If compatibility with add-ons is a big deal for you, I'd recommend using the release channel. That gives add-on developers longer to fix any compatibility issues, so you'll (usually) not have to worry about bustage.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I recently refreshed my laptop, and now I can't find the Multi Links extension I have on my desktop. All I used it for was to right-click + drag to open multiple links from a page (e.g. from SA's bookmarks page). Does anyone know of something that would replace this, or a way to transfer it from my desktop to my laptop?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hooah posted:

I recently refreshed my laptop, and now I can't find the Multi Links extension I have on my desktop. All I used it for was to right-click + drag to open multiple links from a page (e.g. from SA's bookmarks page). Does anyone know of something that would replace this, or a way to transfer it from my desktop to my laptop?

I use Snap Links Plus for this. It's on addons.mozilla.org

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Nintendo Kid posted:

I use Snap Links Plus for this. It's on addons.mozilla.org

That looks good, thanks.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

hooah posted:

You can also just straight-up copy the profile from your desktop to your laptop, that keeps all your settings, add-ons, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

When I click a link that would open a new tab, tree style tab used to open it as a child tab, now it opens it right at the bottom of the tab list. Any idea how I get the old behaviour back?