Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

If there wasn't cheating

And the fact that you could defend them yourself

Raiding FOBs would be really fuckin' rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Terbulus posted:

Stare at her tits every now and again in the chopper apparently raises it

I honestly wish you were joking, but you're not. :smith:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
https://a.pomf.cat/jqhbgn.mp4

this is gonna be fun

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I got the Piggyback guide and it's funny how they juxtaposition the PS2 models against the modern ones. Big Boss's facial structure got a huge overhaul. And they use Twin Snakes for almost everything MGS1 related. The summary for MGS4 is like three pages of dense text, about a solid quarter of which is explaining what Ocelot did.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

:gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

A glimpse into Ocelot's dreams.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
someone replace all character models with D-Dog and D-Horse

please I need to see this.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

tactical espionage action

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

um where is the transport driver in mission 16, because it's obviously not the guy who drives the truck

turns out you have to wait for him to get into the truck

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 10, 2015

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

I'm so glad they replaced Quiet with Ocelot, I can't wait to see the rain cutscene.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
End game spoiler talk:

I just noticed that BB took down all the pictures of quiet after she left...

:negative:

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

No Mods No Masters posted:

There is one. You unlock the research from a yellow side-op involving Eli IIRC.

Holy poo poo. I did that and never noticed that. Tomorrow's assignment is to rank up my support enough to build these fultons.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Tempo 119 posted:

You can only get one piece of information out of a soldier before they stop talking. If you want to know enemy placements you have to ask that first. Some guards just genuinely don't know where everyone is, or there might be no one in a certain radius for them to reveal. In MGS2 there were guards who refused to give up their dog tags until you shot them up a bit, I haven't tried it but maybe that'll get the stubborn ones talking?

I've definitely gotten both out of some guards(and asking for the info first too). It might just be really rare.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

MGSV is the longest epic in the history of action games (tactical espionage action), hot drat. I can only think of RPGs that are bigger. It's complete insanity how much content is in this game, and each mission is a legit encounter with thought put into it, it's mindboggling. I don't even know how this is possible.

*Salutes*

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Now that I have 50,000 precious metals, and thus infinite money (I hit the money cap by selling like 4,000), it is time to make literally everything

my god these timers are gonna make this take ages

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
If I get a notification that there's fighting amongst my staff, can I go back to Mother Base and tell them to knock it off ya wankers?

Also how do I know where the fight is?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Absolute final ending spoiler talk: This game ends way too early plot-wise, drat. I keep expecting there to be more plot. But no. I didn't really realize how thinly spread the actual plot in this game is until I got the real ending, and then even after almost 50 hours for one single playthrough I still said "wait, that's it? It's over?"

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
The one piece of pre-release hype I'm glad was actually true is the variety of ways you can accomplish missions. Every time I've beaten one I've thought of the next way I want to tackle it while the credits are rolling.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Pirate Jet posted:

If I get a notification that there's fighting amongst my staff, can I go back to Mother Base and tell them to knock it off ya wankers?

Also how do I know where the fight is?

The fights are happening because you have guys on your staff with the skill "Troublemaker," if their stats are low I would just dismiss them. There is also a skill called "Diplomat" though, if you put both in the same department they cancel each other out.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

The fights are happening because you have guys on your staff with the skill "Troublemaker," if their stats are low I would just dismiss them. There is also a skill called "Diplomat" though, if you put both in the same department they cancel each other out.

Also if you have two of the same category troublemaker in the same unit, they'll focus their powers of evil exclusively on each other

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

CJacobs posted:

Absolute final ending spoiler talk: This game ends way too early plot-wise, drat. I keep expecting there to be more plot. But no. I didn't really realize how thinly spread the actual plot in this game is until I got the real ending, and then even after almost 50 hours for one single playthrough I still said "wait, that's it? It's over?"

The core gameplay is pretty loving fun, but some of the finer details seem like they're just not there. Like chapter 2 feels like it was supposed to be about as long as chapter 1 considering how so many plot points are introduced in it are left totally unresolved, from codewalker's message about miller to battle gear being deployable mission only to the eli stuff (which at least managed to get turned into a video for the most part).

Plus it feels like motherbase was cut down or something, considering the lack of events or customization.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Do you get access to Quiet in Mission 14? I know I'll likely keep using DD but I want to see how effective she is.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

So I have a couple of questions: If I replay a mission, main or side op, does that play-through become the official version of it? for example, in mission 3, the objective is to eliminate the Spetsnaz commander. First time I played through, I extracted him to my team, if I play again and shoot him, does he get removed from my team, and the lower score count as the official version? Trying to get the task objective for shooting him from 100m, but I don't want to play through again to extract him.

Also, is it normal for side ops to become active again after you've beaten it? Is there a way to use the helicopter as a taxi from LZ to LZ like you can at Mother Base while you're in Afghanistan, rather than going to the ACC and redeploying?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
You can definitely tell that Mother Base was supposed to be as dense with stuff to do/people to talk with as Afghanistan and the Zaire/Angola border are with combat. And there's a lot of stuff like the Quiet cutscene where Ocelot talks about her too that was totally meant to be a cutscene and not Ocelot standing in a corner mumbling for five minutes straight while you walk around aimlessly.

It's a testament to how awesome Kojima Productions is that even in this clearly unfinished form, the game is amazing.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I think Ocelot was annoyed with me shooting him repeatedly with the tranq gun. I just wanted to fulton him out.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What's the story reason for why Ocelot isn't a weird creep with a revolver for once?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Robo Reagan posted:

What's the story reason for why Ocelot isn't a weird creep with a revolver for once?

He's not at that point in his character development yet.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.
So what's the status of modding on PC beyond "I hak u fob wit trainer"? I've seen the amazing Quiet/Ocelot model swap that turns a dumb gross thing into a dumb awesome thing, but apart from that I haven't been keeping up with how deep people have been getting into that stuff (:pervert:).

Honestly, after learning how amazing that weapon customization bug can be, I want no-holds-barred everything-applicable-to-everything-else, no restrictions. I already made a rocket launcher into the most ridiculous anti-materiel rifle ever made, and now I want more.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

red19fire posted:

So I have a couple of questions: If I replay a mission, main or side op, does that play-through become the official version of it? for example, in mission 3, the objective is to eliminate the Spetsnaz commander. First time I played through, I extracted him to my team, if I play again and shoot him, does he get removed from my team, and the lower score count as the official version? Trying to get the task objective for shooting him from 100m, but I don't want to play through again to extract him.

Also, is it normal for side ops to become active again after you've beaten it? Is there a way to use the helicopter as a taxi from LZ to LZ like you can at Mother Base while you're in Afghanistan, rather than going to the ACC and redeploying?

You keep everything from all playthroughs of missions. If you kill him he won't disappear, and if you extract him you'll have him twice (same face but a different name).

The map is divided into segments, with one side op running in each segment at all times. If you beat one and there's nothing else to replace it, it'll open up again so you have something to do.

You can't fast travel in the helicopter but each major location has a cargo delivery point somewhere, if you stand on one and get in a box you can warp between all the ones you've found and activated.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

Moartoast posted:

I've seen the amazing Quiet/Ocelot model swap

I haven't and it sounds amazing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Moartoast posted:

Honestly, after learning how amazing that weapon customization bug can be, I want no-holds-barred everything-applicable-to-everything-else, no restrictions. I already made a rocket launcher into the most ridiculous anti-materiel rifle ever made, and now I want more.

What is this bug and how do I do it?

Apparition posted:

see:

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Apparition posted:

e;fb goddammit

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Don't call a support helicopter while on Mother Base or they will just open fire on anyone standing there and then it's game over and you're treated like an rear end in a top hat.

Like, come on, that pilot deserves some of the blame.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

CJacobs posted:

Someone hasn't played mgs3

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Being the voice of mercy and reason for Big Boss is Ocelot's midlife crisis.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Ugato posted:

I like to imagine that in-his-40s Ocelot has mellowed out a bit but by the time he's in his 60s around MGS1's time, he realizes he doesn't have much time left so he's gonna get Frank Reynolds-level of weird and join FOXHOUND.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ugato posted:

He wasn't at that point in his character development then either

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CJacobs posted:

He wasn't at that point in his character development then either

Yes he was

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

CJacobs posted:

What is this bug and how do I do it?

If you're on PC, you can select poo poo in menus with the mouse buttons, and for some bizarro reason this makes the customization work differently than it's supposed to. The big exploity part of this is when you click a customizable part on a gun, back out of that gun selection, go over to another gun that can't customize that same part, then click twice so it applies a part from the other gun category. It's a bit limited because it will select the first thing in the category, so you can't put any barrel on any gun with just this exploit or whatever. Nevertheless, it does let you put the m7000 barrel on pretty much everything, which opens up the muzzle accessory selection and always lets you put a suppressor on.

The mechanics of it are, of course, super hosed. Basically, if you load a gun with a different clip type, its projectile type will change to whatever that clip's origin is. So, say, if you put a grenade launcher clip on the stun shotgun, you get a shotgun that shoots stun grenades (you can't silence stuff that shoots grenades, they just ignore the suppressor if you force one on). But even weirder, the enemies still have the same reaction as the base gun, so a stun grenade shotgun will still make people fall in place, while a rocket launcher loaded with LMG bullets will just fire individual invisible bullets that send people flying.

Basically, all the stats of each weapon apply no matter what weird poo poo you attach to them, but clip type (mag type, whatever) determines the projectiles the weapon fires and the barrel type determines what teritiary attachements you can put on. So far, you can't put side/undermount barrels on anything AFAIK due to the ordering of the parts, but if it werent for that specific limitation (and the limitation of needing to have a gun that you can't customize in specific ways) you'd likely be able to put anything on everything.

The ridiculous anti-matierel launcher thing I made is basically just an M7000 barrel w/ suppressor strapped onto the customizable dumbfire launcher, with an LMG mag so it's loaded with 100 incredibly powerful bullets. It makes literally no sound until the suppressor breaks and annoyingly reloads every time I stop and start aiming after shooting it, but it also made S-ranking Sahelanthropus Extreme a total joke (ashamed of words and deeds etc.).

Also revolvers seem to break horribly when you put different ammo types in them so you can't reload, but who needs that when you have 100 bullets and your dude stretches his arms behind him and flaps them like a bird while running when you hit the reload key.

I'm sure this is a terrible guide and way too wordy and confusing but I learned about this poo poo a few hours ago and it's made the endgame into something amazing and goddamn do i want the modding community to make more out of it. The Skulls are still boring unfun cheating dicks to fight tho make no mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

CJacobs posted:

He's in the Anakin Skywalker phase

• Locked thread