Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

my job is just boring. I was hired as a software developer but I spend maybe 98% of my time doing web design

which is something that i am bad at and hate doing

almost all the programming is done by one guy who doesn't like to document anything at all, doesn't write tests for anything and doesn't want to do pair programming so that other people can figure out what the hell is going on. and he's on holiday so basically if anything goes wrong everyone looks to me and I have to spend hours searching through badly formatted, undocumented code to chase down bugs. But that's still preferable to loving around with CSS all day so I'm hoping something goes wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Quote-Unquote posted:

my job is just boring. I was hired as a software developer but I spend maybe 98% of my time doing web design

almost all the programming is done by one guy who doesn't like to document anything at all, doesn't write tests for anything and doesn't want to do pair programming so that other people can figure out what the hell is going on. and he's on holiday so basically if anything goes wrong everyone looks to me and I have to spend hours searching through badly formatted, undocumented code to chase down bugs. But that's still preferable to loving around with CSS all day so I'm hoping something goes wrong.

NO THIS ELEMENT NEEDS TO BE 3 PIXELS TO THE RIGHT

web design/CSS can loving do one

I'm spending most of today nursing a huge sleep debt/hangover

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Face update: I shaved on Sunday but I should have done it on Saturday and I accidentally went into public with it

I have wrote a shitload of notes for this interview, what tactics would you suggest to distract them while I take a cheeky peek?

My that is an interesting question but the more interesting one is WHO IS THAT BEHIND YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Actually considered injuring myself intentionally rather than come in to work today

Then I realised that's probably a sign of mental illness and I should probably see a doctor or find a new job ASAP. Only been here three months and really, really regretting leaving my old job (even though the pay and benefits are better).

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Face update: I shaved on Sunday but I should have done it on Saturday and I accidentally went into public with it

I have wrote a shitload of notes for this interview, what tactics would you suggest to distract them while I take a cheeky peek?

My that is an interesting question but the more interesting one is WHO IS THAT BEHIND YOU

Sounds like youre not prepared and so shouldnt bother turning up and accept you're a fail rear end goon whos doomed to eating cheetos monster munch and playing world of warcraft all day

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

I will cut you taff, I already have a job which is awful and it would be Runescape not WoW

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

Actually considered injuring myself intentionally rather than come in to work today

Then I realised that's probably a sign of mental illness and I should probably see a doctor or find a new job ASAP. Only been here three months and really, really regretting leaving my old job (even though the pay and benefits are better).

its a symptom of capitalism

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

I will cut you taff, I already have a job which is awful and it would be Runescape not WoW

I forgot to mention it would be roast beef monster munch

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

you don't need to distract them just look at your notes, idk maybe say early on as a warning you might use your notes as a refresher sometimes

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

in my last interview I was a big fan of taking really long pauses to think of answers because I hadn't had an interview for ages and was out of practise and hell, I was offered the job

reavor
Jul 24, 2013
moved to the uk a few months ago. strange place. all this beautiful nature around but virtually no forest paths or ways to enjoy it. streets are so narrow yet everyone wants to drive, plumbing on the outside of houses and separate taps for hot and cold water.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

reavor posted:

virtually no forest paths or ways to enjoy it.
Not really? unless you're talking about farmers fields or private estates. There's plenty of pathways through the national parks or just generally around the coast/through woodland.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

the best received interview answer i ever gave was "i would google it"

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?

reavor posted:

moved to the uk a few months ago. strange place. all this beautiful nature around but virtually no forest paths or ways to enjoy it. streets are so narrow yet everyone wants to drive, plumbing on the outside of houses and separate taps for hot and cold water.

You've got the British aptitude for complaining down pat there, but you're clearly not trying hard enough to enjoy nature. Go romp through a forest/along a beach, you don't need a path (And if you do, as has been mentioned, go fine a nature reserve, they usually have maps at strategic intervals and well-defined paths.)

If you don't like walking without a guidance system, try OS maps as you'll get good detail once you find where you want to go.

Also, you could try googling 'best places to go walking in my area' and see what comes up...y'know, internet being quite handy for finding out information and all that jazz.

Phoon posted:

the best received interview answer i ever gave was "i would google it"

Oh hey, me too, it's what got me my last job on an IT helpdesk and made it second line!

Kluliss fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Sep 10, 2015

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

reavor posted:

WHERE HAVE YOU COME FROM STRANGER

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
sorry caps

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

reavor posted:

Theres loads of walks around people just dont bother looking.

Plumbing on the outside of houses idk what you mean and seperate taps for hot and cold water is always a choice, we have both options in our house, kitchen has a single tap, bathroom has 2.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
My most cocky interview answer was when I was asked what I'd do if I had to deal with someone who didn't do what I'd asked and I replied "nobody has ever not done what I've asked :smug:"

I did follow it up with that was because I never make unreasonable requests and I like to maintain an excellent working relationship with people such that if they can't do something they will tell me and we can deal with it, but the opening statement was cocky af.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm trying to find stuff on ons' website and its making me want to kill myself. coincidentally i'm trying to find stats about deaths

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

Jose posted:

i'm trying to find stuff on ons' website and its making me want to kill myself. coincidentally i'm trying to find stats about deaths

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/vsob1/mortality-statistics--deaths-registered-in-england-and-wales--series-dr-/index.html

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

actually that might not be that helpful idk, what are you looking for particularly
?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

that but to local authority which idk if they publish anymore

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

Jose posted:

that but to local authority which idk if they publish anymore

this might be the wording youre looking for

Monthly Figures on Deaths Registered by Area of Usual Residence - England and Wales, 2014 (Excel sheet 163Kb)

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/vsob2...aths---2014.xls

not sure whether they have annual stuff etc

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

after annual stuff unfortunately. i think they've just stopped publishing it. cheers though

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Quote-Unquote posted:

I work with a dude like this, he's basically scared someone will replace him so keeps everything to himself just like your guy. God forbid anyone want to know exactly how our system setups work so we can fix poo poo while he's away. He just has this weird sense of insecurity that someone will do better than him at stuff. Nobody's interested in taking his job because it's crap, we just want to know how poo poo's programmed so we can take it to bits when we need to.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
Smelly Face can you find me some figures on how many people have stayed dench, and how many have been frimponged, and how that collerates

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

The Big Taff Man posted:

Smelly Face can you find me some figures on how many people have stayed dench, and how many have been frimponged, and how that collerates

hmm it looks like 69% of posters itf have been frimponged, seems pretty high but makes sense given the audience

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The Big Taff Man posted:

Theres loads of walks around people just dont bother looking.

Plumbing on the outside of houses idk what you mean and seperate taps for hot and cold water is always a choice, we have both options in our house, kitchen has a single tap, bathroom has 2.

Not a choice for people who rent, and the whole two-taps thing is way more common here than other places. ALAB?

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
the two tap thing is pretty gay imho

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

reavor posted:

Where do you live that has plumbing on the outside of the house? I don't think I've ever seen that

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I have always taken notes (and examples of work) to interviews and gotten 3/4 of my last interviews so just take and refer to your notes dude. As long as you arent intensely staring at them the whole time while sweating profusely you should be okay

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

freelop posted:

Where do you live that has plumbing on the outside of the house? I don't think I've ever seen that

You have never seen a house with an outside tap?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

freelop posted:

Downpipes for waste water from the bathroom maybe? Lots of older houses have those externally.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
gotta have somewhere to plug in your hose

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

DrWrestling69 posted:

You have never seen a house with an outside tap?

Didn't think of that though they are universal

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If you find old enough houses in tight terraces they sometimes route bits of plumbing outside the building to save space inside (and it can't go in the walls because they're stupid thin). Conversions from having no upstairs plumbing and an outside toilet, places like that.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
..................................n....nn....

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Quote-Unquote posted:

Does he believe that his code is amazing and has a smug sense of satisfaction even though his code leaves you weeping? There always seems to be one guy. Especially at small businesses that have a single in house developer with nobody to slap their poo poo down

You won't believe the atrocities I've seen in PHP.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

UncleBlazer posted:

Does he believe that his code is amazing and has a smug sense of satisfaction even though his code leaves you weeping? There always seems to be one guy. Especially at small businesses that have a single in house developer with nobody to slap their poo poo down

You won't believe the atrocities I've seen in PHP.

To be honest it's mostly not too bad (if really poorly formatted, which makes it hard to read, but that's easy enough to clean up in Sublime Text or such). It's just that the complete lack of testing leads to really silly errors that could easily have been avoided if there was literally any shared knowledge or unit/behavioural tests. And those errors are hard to track down because of the complete lack of documentation. You know, stuff like not doing strict type checking, which is stupidly important in PHP (quite a few times I've had to fix something because of the use of != false instead of !== false).

I've got a new boss now who is keen for me to write tests for all new work from now on, so it might get better. Right now though it's a serious chore to get out of bed and endure this poo poo. It's honestly making me completely miserable spending hours every day making tiny annoying tweaks to CSS and being shot down whenever I want to refactor some code or rewrite some ancient bits that nobody seems to understand (because "it works fine the way it is!"). But at least the money is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

Interview is done. Hopefully next week I can spend the next 3 weeks sat around laughing at my colleagues about them still having to work properly

Also UAT testing is weird