Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Human Grand Prix posted:

How many tokens do they have left? Ferrari was able to significantly improve their motor over the 2014-2015 off season.

If they didn't use any tokens at Italy then they have three left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's over.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

1500quidporsche posted:

The regulations are really hosed up because everything is geared towards fuel efficiency which favors small incremental developments but development is locked down with that token system so you end up with these radical changes that either work out of the gate or go nowhere. The only way you can get parity again is to open up development.

I haven't been watching F1 for very long, was this current Mercedes engine (the one Nico was using in Italy not the new one that used up tokens) an incremental development of last years engine? How did Mercedes produce such a dominating engine when Renault and Ferrari where given the same time frame to produce the 1.6L engines, and how did Honda get it so wrong when they had (to my limited knowledge) an extra year of development time?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
The engine rules are completely retarded

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

mustard_tiger posted:

I haven't been watching F1 for very long, was this current Mercedes engine (the one Nico was using in Italy not the new one that used up tokens) an incremental development of last years engine? How did Mercedes produce such a dominating engine when Renault and Ferrari where given the same time frame to produce the 1.6L engines, and how did Honda get it so wrong when they had (to my limited knowledge) an extra year of development time?

They understood the rules better than everybody else, and this most recent development just improved upon what was already an excellent design. Ferrari is managed by Italians and Renault engines have been underpowered for quite some time, even prior to this current Turbo era. Honda Started developing in 2013 and went for a radical, compact engine design which hasn't worked. Combine this with them not having built a decent engine since the V10 era ended.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

mustard_tiger posted:

The engines year to year are now the same aside from things changed by tokens. So functionally the Mercedes engine has been pretty much the same to the one last year.

To answer your remaining questions Mercedes basically started working on this earlier than everyone else and sunk more money into this than everyone else. The hybrid aspects of the engine related to the turbo are unlimited in terms of how much power they can put out, which is fairly exciting but is hampered by limited development. Mercedes opted for a fairly ingenious solution of splitting the turbo in half and sticking the hybrid motor in the middle with a huge focus on turbo efficiency, which I suspect given the way the regulations are laid out means they're just using the hybrid to spool up the turbo to keep compression high.

The primary problem in the regulations is the fuel flow limit, which means instead of building a more powerful engine like in the past the focus is now on building a more efficient engine. Engineers are now looking at stuff like reducing friction on rear main seals and stuff because that's the only way you will get more power from the set amount of fuel you have.

Edit: It's worth noting that this sort of incremental "lets take a look at the friction given off by all the bearings/valves/any moving part" is the best course of development for these engines, but goes completely against the current token system.

Tony quidprano fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 10, 2015

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
What everyone else said, but I understand that one of the reasons Honda are so poo poo is because they took too many radical risks with the engine design (partially because of McLaren's #sizezerocar bullshit) that didn't pay off in some areas and actively impedes in others.

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ron Dennis in 2014 posted:

It is mindblowing, the engine is a piece of jewellery. They are further ahead than expected. The competiveness of the engine is without question.

Ron Dennis is either a lying piece of poo poo or he's mentally challenged. Most likely he's both.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ultra-Compact engine designs sound great on paper.

Edit: Redbull- Ferrari Tie-up is probably imminent.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 10, 2015

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
I don't know why you are all referring to "engines" because it's quite clear they are now called MG-U-K-PU-Units now.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Brainwrong posted:

I don't know why you are all referring to "engines" because it's quite clear they are now called MG-U-K-PU-Units now.

That's Honda's problem. They're using British Leyland engines.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Rhopunzel posted:

What everyone else said, but I understand that one of the reasons Honda are so poo poo is because they took too many radical risks with the engine design (partially because of McLaren's #sizezerocar bullshit) that didn't pay off in some areas and actively impedes in others.

Which partially, they're forced into by the regulations, you have to push out the slightly untested innovations now because get it right and you can lead for years.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India

El Hefe posted:

F1 rules are completely retarded

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
Thanks guys for the informative replies. I'm gonna go research all the crazy things honda did to make such a piece of poo poo. One thing I like about these incremental mods to things like rear main seals is that it seems like it can be directly applied to regular road cars. Is this true or am I way off base?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

mustard_tiger posted:

Thanks guys for the informative replies. I'm gonna go research all the crazy things honda did to make such a piece of poo poo. One thing I like about these incremental mods to things like rear main seals is that it seems like it can be directly applied to regular road cars. Is this true or am I way off base?

I think one of the biggest problems is the compressor wheel design, I think they used several smaller ones.

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013

mustard_tiger posted:

first thing honda did wrong was not being the glorious scud

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

mustard_tiger posted:

Not really, the cost benefit trade off for that is so small and the hassle of bringing that part in-house would not be worth it. If you want to see where Honda hosed up look up their turbo in particular.

The reality of the situation is that for quite some time F1 engines have been far removed from road car engines. The only stuff that may transfer over 10 years down the road is the hybrid turbo setup. F1 engines can't have variable valve timing which virtually every new car has at this point and really in alot of ways the design of these engines is somewhat backwards.

If they really wanted to innovate camless engines, free ignition systems and unfrozen engine dimensions would be the way to go but under the current regulations you can't do that.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

from what i've read the problems all round: the combustion part of the engine is about 70hp down on mercedes, and the MGU-K which is pretty much like an always-on KERS only retains enough energy for a short burst at the start of the straight, which is about 150-170hp alone

most of the issues can be attributed to having to make everything in line with ~#sizezerocar~

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Weren't there problems with the car overheating because of the power units so they had to turn it down?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
To be fair the solution for Mercedes is all round too and fairly ingenious and its sort of what Honda was going for but cocked it up.

Mercedes has the smallest turbo of the manufacturers. Their basic engine philosophy from my understanding is that because of the fuel limits and power restrictions on the MGU-K your best focus is using the MGU-H to do all the harvesting and keep the boost constant to extract the most out of the fuel you use.

My theory is that splitting the turbo was never about packaging efficiency. It was just the most reliable way of utilizing an electric motor to consistently drive the compressor at max RPM.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

keevo posted:

Weren't there problems with the car overheating because of the power units so they had to turn it down?

The compact nature of the engine and packaging required additional cooling, which even then has proved insufficient.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I still think it was mistake to jump into McLaren right away, Honda should have made a lower-key debut with a small team, such as Sauber or even Manor.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

keevo posted:

Initially. Although its now clear that was just masking the real problem that they just aren't harvesting enough energy/using it inefficiently. The car had massive turbo lag problems early in the season so I would guess that their special turbo sucks rear end and is taking all the energy up right now to smooth out the torque curve, they just won't have enough tokens to change it until next season.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

haha they suck rear end

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
it pisses me off that Alonso went back to that piece of poo poo team

even Hammy knew he had to get out

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

keevo posted:

haha they suck rear end

I mean you can say that but Renault and Ferrari both made the exact same mistake last year. It's just that neither were also trying to make a size zero car. Mercedes was the only one smart enough to work out the proper compression ratio/turbo size given the volume of the engine and max fuel flow.

Why do you think Red Bull kept trying to skirt the fuel ruels? If you removed the fuel restrictions last year Mercedes probably would've had the least powerful engine.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

El Hefe posted:

Hammy Ham, the most intellectual and forward thinking of all F1 drivers, the next Alain Prost

willcrouch
Jul 2, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Hammy Ham, the most intellectual and forward thinking of all F1 drivers, the next Alain Prost

Finally some common sense.

Also, wasn't there some discussion that with Merc's split turbo it allowed them reduced cooling space since it removed the spool from the exhaust heat and there for had cooler air into the intercoolers.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

El Hefe posted:

it pisses me off that Alonso went back to that piece of poo poo team

i shat on him at the time but he really made the right choice ala alonso leaving renault after 2006

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

It was years of pent up petulance that caused HAM to leave McLaren.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

:smuggo:

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I assume this means Hamilton will drive in to a wall in the next race.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Now do a head-to-head between Senna and MSC.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Funzo posted:

I assume this means Hamilton will drive in to a wall in the next race.

One can only loving hope. Singapore would be the place to do it.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sweet comparison between 2 bad drivers.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I thought 1994 would be cool because of dying drivers and paydriver roulette but it's, uh, not...so far anyway.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

More like fraud to fraud :colbert:

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Nelson Piquet (Snr) is the best Brazilian driver, followed by Barrichello and Massa.

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013

RALF posted:

Nelson Piquet (Snr) is the best Brazilian driver, followed by Barrichello and Massa.

hell agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

RALF posted:

Agreed.

• Locked thread