Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Ague Proof posted:

Mance is apparently a child of a wildling and he was taken in by the Watch so maybe he's Craster's son. Perhaps this is a piece of fluff that George has in mind when writing but doesn't intend to reveal so he forgot he hadn't mentioned it.

Yeah but they killed the wildlings and found the baby left over. Mance kills his sons and keeps his daughters. He can't be craster's son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Ague Proof posted:

Mance is apparently a child of a wildling and he was taken in by the Watch so maybe he's Craster's son. Perhaps this is a piece of fluff that George has in mind when writing but doesn't intend to reveal so he forgot he hadn't mentioned it.

Has George (or Elio) been put to the question and what response if any was there?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
He'd probably just say that Sam is an unreliable narrator.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It turns out that a full third of Winter is going to be about various wildling family trees, explaining that one comment. Several new characters will be introduced, do nothing of consequence, and then die.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

counterfeitsaint posted:

It wasn't in the first 4, because it wasn't in the leak. Not that I would know of course, a friend told me.

Episode 7 is 5.4, while Hardhome, episode 8, is the big jump to 7.0.

Hardhome was fantastic but it's just a shame that they seemed to put all their focus in to making one really awesome battle and then as a result we ended up with the battle (:lol:) of Winterfell and Dragon vs groups of 4 mooks at a time.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

The way this season handled Stannis/the Battle of Ice was amazingly bad

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Evil Fluffy posted:

Hardhome was fantastic but it's just a shame that they seemed to put all their focus in to making one really awesome battle and then as a result we ended up with the battle (:lol:) of Winterfell and Dragon vs groups of 4 mooks at a time.

It was not fantastic. Tormund laying waste to anything came near him was great, everything else was kinda poo poo to really poo poo. Vague honourable mention of that giant but he really should have curbstomped more.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

rejutka posted:

It was not fantastic. Tormund laying waste to anything came near him was great, everything else was kinda poo poo to really poo poo. Vague honourable mention of that giant but he really should have curbstomped more.

:frogout: Hardhome owned actually

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Hardhome was really as good as it gets for a TV production. It wasn't without flaws and I could definitely sperg out and point out a bunch of stuff that didn't really make any sort of sense but ultimately it was a very satisfying sequence that almost single handedly managed to salvage what's been a very bad season.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Nah, it's bollocks and, with the same budget, could have been :black101: if it was written with a modicum of sense.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

rejutka posted:

Nah, it's bollocks and, with the same budget, could have been :black101: if it was written with a modicum of sense.

quote:

definitely sperg

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Lets not say things we can't possibly mean, one action scene can't "redeem" the season.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Hardhome was loving awesome. That is all.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
The problem with hardhome was that the white walkers had a different look and acted all "badass" instead of being a slow, creepy, crawling death army like earlier on. I posted screenshots earlier in the thread to highlight the differences in their appearance:

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Yeah, I just think this:

is spookier than this:

The first one seems almost to be a part of the snows around him. You even see it misting off the back of him. He's barely clothed and he looks very old. You look at it and can't begin to imagine what motivates a creature like that.

The second one looks like an Uruk Hai general in LOTR or something. He's literally standing there in his plastic armor in a bring it on pose. This isn't a mysterious and terrifying enemy. He just wants to kill poo poo up, just like every other loving character in this show. If this is based on GRRM's notes, than he really dropped the ball here. He had the opportunity for the Others to be something other than the generic foreign horde that every fantasy novel flings at the heroes. They could have had motivations completely incomprehensible to the humans. Instead it seems like their motivation is basically "KILL U".

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Krinkle posted:

Lets not say things we can't possibly mean, one action scene can't "redeem" the season.

I said 'almost'. :clint:

Somewhat related, Damon Lindelof disagrees with you and claims that a season of a show that had 1 great episode is automatically a good season by his count, which is unsurprising given the crap he shat out for the final seasons of Lost. He also took some offense to gurm saying Lost had a terrible ending - http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/18/damon-lindelof-game-thrones

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

The problem with hardhome was that the white walkers had a different look and acted all "badass" instead of being a slow, creepy, crawling death army like earlier on. I posted screenshots earlier in the thread to highlight the differences in their appearance:

honestly why the gently caress are they wearing armor when it has been established that regular weapons cant hurt them....and then ultimately the armor is ineffective against valyrian steel which is the only thing that can hurt them.

hardhome was retarded

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

TommyGun85 posted:

honestly why the gently caress are they wearing armor when it has been established that regular weapons cant hurt them....and then ultimately the armor is ineffective against valyrian steel which is the only thing that can hurt them.

hardhome was retarded

They also wear armor in the books but in the books it's not clear whether they themselves are impervious to regular weapons or not as they're actually skilled fighters and the only time someone actually fights them he doesn't manage to land a hit on their face, worth noting that they also dodge and parry Wymar's attacks so at the very least it seems like they would rather not get hit in the face with a steel sword.

Not that any of this has anything to do with the show of course.

Hardhome was great though.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I just went and transcribed everywhere in the prologue of the first book where it mentioned they have weird armor but then I realized you were asking, rhetorically, why do they even bother with armor.

Probably so it breaks the weapons used against them and they don't have to worry about explaining annoying holes poked in their jacked as hell old man bodies.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

TommyGun85 posted:

hardhome was retarded

my tactical realism :sadfan:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

The first appearance is better, but the second appearance is better than loving nothing at all, which is what we've gotten for years, which is why people were excited

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Now I want The Rock to cut a promo gussied up as a White Walker for the next season. :allears:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I liked in hardhome when jon fought the white walker that turned into the elf prince from hellboy 2

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Some Spanish publisher guy said Winds is definitely coming out next year or something.

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 10, 2015

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
A fat man eats a lot of food? I don't doubt winds is comin' out.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Oh, hey, it's another actor from Borgen. It sucks that Birgitte Sorenson's character got killed in Hardhome because her character owned even if she was only there for one episode.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

TommyGun85 posted:

hardhome was retarded

Well obviously its because its the armor that gives them a anti weapons barrier w/ frost magic. Because they are actually people, frots zombies are actually a society of living organisms just like humans and it's the living humans that are evil. They just want to live and take the baby cause thats how they reproduce, through conversion magic (and killing too, but thats only as a last resort!)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

In the grand tradition

"It's good that he has such a sense of humor."

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
GRRM will finish the books, death be damned. :unsmith:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

They really cast Pacey from Dawson's Creek as Euron? He's gotten fat.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

geeves posted:

They really cast Pacey from Dawson's Creek as Euron? He's gotten fat.

He looks like that guy haha. Nice spotting.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I thought it was a Dream of Spring.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Solice Kirsk posted:

I thought it was a Dream of Spring.

This is a new novel completely unrelated to ASOIAF so we only have five more unrelated novels before the next Dunk and Egg comes out.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ah, sounds more plausible than even an undead gurm finishing the series.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

frankenfreak posted:

GRRM will finish the books, death be damned. :unsmith:

That's a funny way of spelling "Brandon Sanderson" :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

mind the walrus posted:

In the grand tradition

I didn't realize The Last Of Us was being made in to a TV show.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think the funniest part of the picture is that they only had to change the tint of the pizza sauce stains on his face and beard to make it look like dried old blood.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
I have seen the first season of Z Nation. It is bad, but at least it is self aware so it's better than it has any right to be. I am not surprised George "Low Rent" Martin is involved with it.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

mind the walrus posted:

In the grand tradition

good to see he is still doing other poo poo besides writing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Everyone needs a hobby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

GRRM's just happens to be writing