Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

EugeneJ posted:

Now he's giving me Carson vibes

I really got this last night as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
The giant furry hat was really reminiscent of Carnac the Magnificent.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah it's funny to me how both Dave and Jay wanted to be Johnny Carson, but Colbert actually seems the most like him out of any late night host since Carson retired.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

whydirt posted:

Yeah it's funny to me how both Dave and Jay wanted to be Johnny Carson, but Colbert actually seems the most like him out of any late night host since Carson retired.

The way he very politely asked Scarlett if she could stay past the break was a Carson move. If it was Dave or Jay they would just be like "HEY YA GONNA STICK AROUND?". Colbert's sincere.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well, as sincere as you can be about something you've already agreed to in advance about a fake break.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought that was setting up her sticking around for the Ellon Musk interview, but alas.

Do any talk shows still do that - having the first guest stay seated and mingle with the later guest(s)? Or are publicists afraid another Norm MacDonald-Courtney Thorne Smith career-killing moment will happen?

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!

EugeneJ posted:

I thought that was setting up her sticking around for the Ellon Musk interview, but alas.

Do any talk shows still do that - having the first guest stay seated and mingle with the later guest(s)? Or are publicists afraid another Norm MacDonald-Courtney Thorne Smith career-killing moment will happen?

To be fair, Chairman of the Board would have done that shortly afterwards if Norm didn't.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Robnoxious posted:

Seth Meyers is on the death clock before Corden.

Meyers is Lorne Michaels' golden boy, though, isn't he?

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

EugeneJ posted:

Do any talk shows still do that - having the first guest stay seated and mingle with the later guest(s)?

yes, it happens but it's pretty rare. the majority of the time, the first guest will just sit there and laugh.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

EugeneJ posted:

Graham Norton does this. Don't know if that counts though really.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

EugeneJ posted:

Conan still does this sometimes

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
I get why he wanted to move on and stuff, but man I wish Craig was on after Colbert instead of the new guy.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Halman posted:

I get why he wanted to move on and stuff, but man I wish Craig was on after Colbert instead of the new guy.

It'd make for the strongest late night block in a long drat time, that's for sure.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I watched Craig on Seth last night. It was barely an appearance. But he did say he doesn't miss late night at all - aside from wanting to mock Donald Trump. He had a good story about Scottish hecklers and then he was suddenly done. But he's got a stand-up special on Epix coming out this week or something, so maybe I can see that at some point to get the fix.

Craig also stayed on the couch during the next interview and only spoke a little during that. Dave never had guests stay out there (unless he was handcuffed to them like Clooney), but Conan and everybody else do often.

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

Trump's on Colbert next week: http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/stephen-colbert-late-show-donald-trump-ted-cruz-1201590132/

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

oh my god

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

The Journey Fraternity posted:

To be fair, Chairman of the Board would have done that shortly afterwards if Norm didn't.

Bored.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Timby posted:

Meyers is Lorne Michaels' golden boy, though, isn't he?

Yeah, but the scuttlebutt is that Lorne is grooming Meyers to take over SNL. It makes perfect sense. Lorne retires. Meyers takes over SNL. Lorne finds a younger comic to replace Meyers at late night. The new host is groomed to take over the Tonight Show when Fallon retires. Bam. Lorne just secured his legacy at three shows over the next two decades in one fell swoop.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

How did I not know about Trump being on Fallon tomorrow? It will be nice to contrast the two interviews.

I hope Colbert offers him an Oreo. And wears a Trump tie that is probably made in the factory next door.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HekJtr8hyX4

Chand0X
Sep 15, 2003

Halman posted:

Agreed. :( It would be an insane late night block.

Also, balls.

Chand0X
Sep 15, 2003

Steve Vader posted:

I watched Craig on Seth last night. It was barely an appearance. But he did say he doesn't miss late night at all - aside from wanting to mock Donald Trump. He had a good story about Scottish hecklers and then he was suddenly done. But he's got a stand-up special on Epix coming out this week or something, so maybe I can see that at some point to get the fix.

Craig also stayed on the couch during the next interview and only spoke a little during that. Dave never had guests stay out there (unless he was handcuffed to them like Clooney), but Conan and everybody else do often.

Just found that Craig taped a segment with Seth after the show: Craig Ferguson - How it Went

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Geno posted:

yes, it happens but it's pretty rare. the majority of the time, the first guest will just sit there and laugh.

Some people just don't give a gently caress and pipe up. Goldblum comes to mind.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Steve Vader posted:

I'm seeing Craig on tour in November. I can't wait.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Second show was good, I really liked that he circumvented the whole monologue by talking about the production, I wanna see more of that kind of honest stuff instead of lazy references to current events. First half of the ScarJo interview ventured a bit too close the traditional celeb-fellatio nonsense that these shows thrive on, but he salvaged it by doing something weird and different, hope he can keep throwing curveballs like that. Wanna keep watching the show for sure, I haven't really followed any non-TDS/CR talkshow since like mid-2000s Letterman.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, but the scuttlebutt is that Lorne is grooming Meyers to take over SNL. It makes perfect sense. Lorne retires. Meyers takes over SNL. Lorne finds a younger comic to replace Meyers at late night. The new host is groomed to take over the Tonight Show when Fallon retires. Bam. Lorne just secured his legacy at three shows over the next two decades in one fell swoop.
I've long had Marci Klein pegged as Lorne's heir-apparent. What producer skills does scuttlebutt see in Seth

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I enjoyed episode 2 a lot more as well. ScarJo was meh. I hope he keeps up with the not-Hollywoo guests like Elon Musk. His band constantly makes me want to know what is happening during the commercials. The first three times they showed the band, the opening, after first break, and after second break, they had a different person playing the drums. WTF are they doing in those breaks? Also, Jon Batiste is up in the balcony now for some reason.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
On Letterman, there would be two short mid-break teases during the show. The first would be 5 seconds during the first commercial break, the second would be 4 seconds towards the end of that long 6-ish minute break later in the show.

I don't get CBS here. Could someone tell me if the new show is still doing these teases? Thanks.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Chand0X posted:

Just found that Craig taped a segment with Seth after the show: Craig Ferguson - How it Went

See, I wish they would Seth do this more. Seth is a great interviewer.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

Now he's giving me Carson vibes

Johnny or Daly?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ZDar Fan posted:

Johnny or Daly?

Johnny

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

ZDar Fan posted:

Johnny or Daly?

I keep forgetting Carson Daly exists. I guess the network does too. And all of America. Maybe his crew sometimes as well.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

counterfeitsaint posted:

I keep forgetting Carson Daly exists. I guess the network does too. And all of America. Maybe his crew sometimes as well.

now you got me missing Dave Letterman for ragging on him

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Dave Attell appearing on the last episode of Daily Show and reminding me that he exists made me think that a revival of Insomniac would work well opposite Carson Daly.

That show was so fun.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

EugeneJ posted:

Dave Attell appearing on the last episode of Daily Show and reminding me that he exists made me think that a revival of Insomniac would work well opposite Carson Daly.

That show was so fun.

It was the perfect show for Dave too. Sadly they stopped doing it because Dave and the show got too well known. They had trouble going into places to shoot, which is why they started doing episodes overseas in hopes that people wouldn't recognize him.

Jackass and Sacha Baron Cohen have had much the same problem.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Djarum posted:

It was the perfect show for Dave too. Sadly they stopped doing it because Dave and the show got too well known. They had trouble going into places to shoot, which is why they started doing episodes overseas in hopes that people wouldn't recognize him.

Jackass and Sacha Baron Cohen have had much the same problem.

And Tom Green.

I think it's been long enough that he could start doing it again. Dave drinking was only 20% of the show - the best part was him following around people who did 3rd shift jobs.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Did I hear Colbert say last night he's doing 5 shows a week? Don't most late night shows only do 4 a week these days?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

EugeneJ posted:

And Tom Green.

I think it's been long enough that he could start doing it again. Dave drinking was only 20% of the show - the best part was him following around people who did 3rd shift jobs.

tom green also has been trying to be a more legitimate host, but it's not really working out

his online show is fun though

Jax-Guy1
Apr 25, 2011
This is amazing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jesus, this got real serious :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Jesus this Biden interview is pretty fuckin serious.