Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I'm considering a similar trip but probably in a much smaller boat. Any suggestions for renting a Catalina 25 or similar in north Puget Sound?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

MrKatharsis posted:

I'm considering a similar trip but probably in a much smaller boat. Any suggestions for renting a Catalina 25 or similar in north Puget Sound?
Overnight charters for a boat that small are going to be few and far between. If you're able I'd suggest at least a 32-35 footer. You probably won't see many overnight-configured boats for charter under 35' except by a few sailing clubs.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

More gulf islands/San Juan photos

And here is boat anchored off coal island

It was the longest trip I've done (12 days) with only the last two days spent in marinas. Went pretty well I think, and gave me a list of things to improve

If you get a chance to anchor in Watmough Bay in Lopez island you should take it, its beautiful

Alctel fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 10, 2015

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Those poor tables never stood a chance.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Kenshin posted:

Overnight charters for a boat that small are going to be few and far between. If you're able I'd suggest at least a 32-35 footer. You probably won't see many overnight-configured boats for charter under 35' except by a few sailing clubs.

checkout Boat Bound. Pretty much airbnb/vrbo for boats. At least in the seattle area it seems to mostly be ski boats and stuff like that, but there are a decent amount of sail boats and a couple bigger power boats. I meant to rent one of the power boats(never sailded, but grew up on boats in alaska) this summer and do a san juan long weekend trip, but life got too busy. Maybe next spring/summer.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Scruff McGruff posted:

Those poor tables never stood a chance.

I'm on my phone - what's a good way to edit them so they don't break tables?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Alctel posted:

I'm on my phone - what's a good way to edit them so they don't break tables?

edit the
code:
[img][/img]
tags to be
code:
[timg][/timg]
tags

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Thanks!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Negromancer posted:

Pretty much airbnb/vrbo for boats.

:stonk:

Man how have I never heard of this.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I managed to catch a few hours of the drag boat race being hosted all weekend in a nearby city. First time ever seeing something like this in person, and it was pretty awesome. It was a 1/8 mile course, running upstream alongside one of the parks, with the starting line right in front of a weir. Made for some really cool races with great scenery. The boats were rad as hell, it was a mix of big block powered jet boats and a smaller group of Mercury powered outboard guys whose setups sounded utterly mental. I got some decent shots, and had a blast while I was there. Definitely need to look into doing this more often!

Photodump:

Full album can be found here, it contains about 90 shots. I also took a few quick videos with my T2i, though they're not the best quality because I was recording using a telephoto lens with no tripod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sathMtb9lsI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdS0BH3drcQ

All in all, it was a super cool experience. I'm glad I got to check it out :D

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Since there's a lot of PNW folks in here, would you do me a solid and let me know if you ever see a Nor'Sea 27' for sale in your neck of the woods? They're getting rare as hens teeth these days, but I'll be in a position to buy next year so I'm on the hunt.

Missed one with a trailer on the east coast that some drat Americans picked up due to the instant 25% discount. :argh:

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I know a guy with one in Bellingham, dunno if it's for sale though

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Boat was put on land Friday. Today I did the bulk of the winterization stuff. Ran antifreeze through the engine's raw water circuit, and through the toilet. Emptied the fresh water tank and all the taps. I have no access to the water tank without taking a lot of stuff apart, so I have to drain it using the pump. Wish I'd remembered that while it was on water so I didn't have to drain a battery doing that on land... :downs:

Her view for the winter

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Dang, didn't know this thread was here. I'm a huge boater and have been my whole life. Grew up on my parent's sailboats but I kind of diverged from the sailboats when I got to adulthood.

Here's a picture of my previous boat next to my current boat.

The former (boat on the right) was a 1993 Wellcraft Nova Spyder 23. It had a carbed Mercruiser 454 and Bravo 1 drive and would go right at 60 mph on gps. Very fun boat and was in amazing shape from the previous two owners. Still question selling it.

The current boat is the 1998 Wellcraft Scarab 29 on the left. This one has a Mercruiser 502 MPI and Bravo 1 will do about 65 mph on gps. It's a great boat and we upgraded to it because it has a larger cuddy and we plan to overnight on it fairly often. Plus, it's newer and I love the lines of the Scarabs...always have. The bad thing is that the previous owner on this one wasn't as good to it. Currently, the boat is having a new floor put into the cockpit due to rot. Thankfully, the rot did not move to the stringers or transom. Needs a few other little things here and there but should have everything done and ready for spring. The hull is actually in nice shape and the boat only has 325 hours on it.

If anyone has any questions on go-fast (cigarette) style boats (Please for the love of god don't call them cigar boats), I know quite a bit about them. I'm pretty much a huge geek when it comes to go-fast boats and read about them non-stop as well as watch all the boats that come up for sale, etc.

Scrapez fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 20, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I've always loved the looks of the Scarab's. I will probably never own one though.

After many years of not doing anything at all boating related, I recently started taking introduction to sailing classes though, on the local town lake using Capri 14.2's. It's been a lot of fun.

I'm the ugly one in in the back, the pretty person is another student who was my sailing partner Saturday.

This was while we were standing around waiting on the local yacht club guys try to figure out how to get the boat out of the water, since while we were out sailing somebody stole the trailer. The club uses these really crappy trailers that I'd be terrified of taking out on the road, but they only use them to store the boats in the yard at the top of the ramp, they never leave the marina, so everyone was pretty flabbergasted that someone actually took one of them, but now they are going to have to think about using tongue locks on them, since they ferry the boats to the water and back, and the trailers are just sitting in the parking lot not attached to anything during the time the boats are on the lake.

They ended up 'borrowing' another trailer that was sitting in the lot, we hauled the boat out of the water up into the storage area, de-rigged it, and then lifted it off the trailer and onto a couple of carpet rolls. They then put that borrowed trailer back in the lot where they found it. Dunno what they are going to do next week when it is time to put it in the water again.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

That really sucks. I HATE thieves and the boating world seems to be full of them. Not sure if sailboats are the same but theft of go-fast boats and parts off of dry docked boats is rampant. I hope they catch the person that stole the trailer.

What type of boat is that in the picture?

I haven't sailed in many years. I had a Phantom when I was a kid that I would sail on local lakes and in a few races. It was basically identical to a sunfish. A lot of fun, especially when I was 12 years old. Except that one time when I was out in heavier winds and capsized it. Problem was that I didn't know to let out the lines to luff the sail so when I went to upright the boat, it started taking off with me hanging on for dear life.

I spent a lot of my childhood on a 1986 O'Day 222 pleasureboating and running in local regattas on the Mississippi River with my dad and his buddy. Very fond memories.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

It's a Capri 14.2. It has a regular sail plan (main sail and jib) which is why the club uses them for teaching on the little lake in town. The instructors (who are all volunteers) all bitch about how crappy and slow they are, but I'm not used to their J-boats or whatever, so I think they are fun.

The trailers are seriously crap, it's pretty surprising anyone would want it. The tires are dry-rotted from sitting out in the AZ sun, and the trailer itself is a flimsy thing with basically two boards cut in a V shape with carpeting on them. They are crappy enough that you can't get on the boats while they are on they trailers, they are literally just a way to get the boats out of the water and into the storage yard.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
How'd you like your first lesson, Locator?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Keep those lessons up! Sailing is incredibly rewarding. I just completed my ASA 106 (Advanced Coastal Cruising) course two weeks ago. Just two left!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

It was my 2nd lesson actually. This time we got wet (did capsize drills) and it was very windy (for Tempe Town Lake) with 15-20 and higher gusts. A couple boats went over not on purpose. I am having a lot of fun, even if the instructors think these boats suck, then again, our instructor has a J-24 he races, and also crews on other race boats on the coast.

My first lesson I got a multi-time club racing series champion as my instructor, and this time I got the commodore of the Arizona Yacht Club as my instructor. Both of them were hyper competitive and were really on top of us about boat and sail trim. I think I could have done a lot worse, as most of the other boats were a lot 'sloppier' than we were both times.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Jump on that J! They're what I learned to sail on and I still try to make 2 or 3 major regattas on them a year. My favorite sailboat. This is me with the owner of the boat (on top) and the two old(er) cats we crew her with most of the time. The oldest guy in that picture took delivery of his J/24 in 1982, in the first batch of boats to come into the southeast. The boat we're beside, Lucifer's Hammer, was on the same truck coming in. Neither Hammer nor Steve's boat, Dixie Chic, have ever left Lake Lanier as home port. Pretty cool if you ask me.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The Locator. As a new sailor myself I cannot recommend highly enough finding a racing crew to sail with.

This is my second year sailing, last year I did the lessons and sailed small dinghy's which was fun and great experience. This year I moved to Chicago and through a friend from work sailed twice a week in a pretty big racing series on Lake Michigan. Sailed on a 30 ft boat, my first time on a true keel boat. It was incredible how much I learned over the summer. When you are on a bigger boat like that with a good skipper you learn so much. Also its free, most boats need extra hands and if you can consistently make it out they will love to have you.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Scrapez posted:

Dang, didn't know this thread was here. I'm a huge boater and have been my whole life. Grew up on my parent's sailboats but I kind of diverged from the sailboats when I got to adulthood.

Here's a picture of my previous boat next to my current boat.

The former (boat on the right) was a 1993 Wellcraft Nova Spyder 23. It had a carbed Mercruiser 454 and Bravo 1 drive and would go right at 60 mph on gps. Very fun boat and was in amazing shape from the previous two owners. Still question selling it.

The current boat is the 1998 Wellcraft Scarab 29 on the left. This one has a Mercruiser 502 MPI and Bravo 1 will do about 65 mph on gps. It's a great boat and we upgraded to it because it has a larger cuddy and we plan to overnight on it fairly often. Plus, it's newer and I love the lines of the Scarabs...always have. The bad thing is that the previous owner on this one wasn't as good to it. Currently, the boat is having a new floor put into the cockpit due to rot. Thankfully, the rot did not move to the stringers or transom. Needs a few other little things here and there but should have everything done and ready for spring. The hull is actually in nice shape and the boat only has 325 hours on it.

If anyone has any questions on go-fast (cigarette) style boats (Please for the love of god don't call them cigar boats), I know quite a bit about them. I'm pretty much a huge geek when it comes to go-fast boats and read about them non-stop as well as watch all the boats that come up for sale, etc.

I'm curious to see what the cabin on the scarab looks like. And you know, any other stuff you wanna share. Go-fast boats are generally awesome and anything you wanna share is appreciated. :D

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Popete posted:

The Locator. As a new sailor myself I cannot recommend highly enough finding a racing crew to sail with.

This is my second year sailing, last year I did the lessons and sailed small dinghy's which was fun and great experience. This year I moved to Chicago and through a friend from work sailed twice a week in a pretty big racing series on Lake Michigan. Sailed on a 30 ft boat, my first time on a true keel boat. It was incredible how much I learned over the summer. When you are on a bigger boat like that with a good skipper you learn so much. Also its free, most boats need extra hands and if you can consistently make it out they will love to have you.

Good sailing advice. Racing makes you a much better sailor. More attentive to rules/regs and your trim/speed.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

SuperDucky posted:

Good sailing advice. Racing makes you a much better sailor. More attentive to rules/regs and your trim/speed.

I will probably try to get on as crew (the club has a crew list they maintain) at least some, but I'm not sure I want to do it enough to be a regular, but we'll see, I might decide I can't get enough of it!

Things are incredibly busy for me right now, so at least until mid-November, just making it to the every other week lessons is about all I can fit into my schedule.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I still want one. It's like a materialized ingot of SPACE AGE. I know someone's converted one from ferry use to a yacht, somewhere...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iKTqEOM2o8

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
We used to have sea-going inter island hydrofoil ferries, I travelled on them as a child. They were amazing in good weather and rolled like a pig in rough seas when they couldn't get up to speed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJLnJx9SzR8

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
yeah we used to have awesome Dover - Calais cross channel stuff like this

and this

but now it's just these boring things because you can't compete against the Shuttle for speed.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Its a small price to pay for a tunnel which would have horrified a thousand years of monarchs.

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

yeah we used to have awesome Dover - Calais cross channel stuff like this

and this

but now it's just these boring things because you can't compete against the Shuttle for speed.

We still have the catamaran.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Tarped!

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Maybe this is my the right thread. I'm trying to find some picture and descriptions I saw earlier this year of the repair of a large ship motor. Part of the motor casing had been blown out. They cut the fracture out, drilled the cracks, cast a mating part and stitched it in before finishing it with a magnetic mill. Any one have a link?

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
http://www.locknstitch.com/index.html

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
That's it! Thanks.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Tanker misses stalled pleasure boat by mere feet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW_dk2NCOUU

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

^^^ what idiots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuzSkFlsILc

Scrapez fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 30, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I am surprised that those helicopters are powerful enough to take off with the rescue swimmer's gigantic balls.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Preoptopus posted:

Tanker misses stalled pleasure boat by mere feet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW_dk2NCOUU

What complete, total and utter loving morons - they actually take off their PFDs when the tanker is at its closest approach, they aren't on the radio to the tanker, they aren't showing a V-sheet or any flags to indicate they're nonmanuverable or disabled, they aren't using the noisemakers they're obligated to carry (unless they aren't 2 nm offshore) and part of me thinks "stalled my arse, these retards voluntarily stopped in a shipping channel".

That the tanker misses is a miracle - the pleasurecraft (both of them) will be inside the radar bang and effectively invisible. Since the tanker doesn't give 5 blasts, I'd bet actual money that no-one on the bridge had the first idea what was going on.

My rating: 1/10, hoped for more dead morons.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

I find it hilarious that you think that little thing has a radio, signal flags, and horn. Get real. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I find it hilarious that you think the tanker would have noticed the signal flag or horn or whatever. Or that the pleasure craft would have known how to raise the tanker on vhf. Usually in those cases the tanker can see a few dozen pleasure crafts; they don't get individual attention.

That's a situation that straight up calls for a flare, but at the point the video start there's nothing the tanker can do anymore.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 30, 2015