Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hedrigall posted:

Here's the new & official reading order graphic for Discworld:

Is it just me, or is that too convoluted for the uninitiated?

It's also wrong. Unless something changed and I missed it, The Last Hero is meant to be set after all the other books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

Also, "The Fifth Element".

I kinda like how incredible misleading the cover on that book is.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I like the bit where Vimes explains that he can go wherever he wants in Uberwald, because his diplomatic status gives him a multipass.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I bet Hugh Laurie could do a good Bursar. Well, him or Stephen Fry, really.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've always felt that Hugh Laurie could pull off Sam Vimes pretty well.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
If not for House I would never have agreed with you, but after that, I could see it.

Fry would make a brilliant wizard. Definitely not the Bursar though; he's routinely portrayed as being thin to the point of emaciation. Actually Fry would be a decent Ridcully I think. Think Lord Melchett.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Stephen Fry would be the Dean, I think.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

If not for House I would never have agreed with you, but after that, I could see it.

Fry would make a brilliant wizard. Definitely not the Bursar though; he's routinely portrayed as being thin to the point of emaciation. Actually Fry would be a decent Ridcully I think. Think Lord Melchett.

Lord Melchett is the complete opposite of Ridcully though.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I finished The Shepherd's Crown, and despite clearly needing a few passes to clean up/rewrites, which for obvious reasons couldn't have been done it was a good book, the best since And I Shall Wear Midnight in my opinion. Really sad book and even more so considering his passing and the topics of the book, but also hopeful.

Also Agnes Nitt hasn't been totally forgotten!

edit: Why does people make lovely circular graphs, when there is a perfectly readable and simple one available for decades?

Decius fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Sep 7, 2015

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I still want Jack Dee to be Vimes, and Liza Tarbuck to be Lady Sybil and every time I see them on panel shows it makes me angry that this hasn't happened yet.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

VagueRant posted:

I still want Jack Dee to be Vimes, and Liza Tarbuck to be Lady Sybil and every time I see them on panel shows it makes me angry that this hasn't happened yet.

Joanna Scanlan could be Sybil too. I'm not sure Vimes should be played by a comedian. And Jack Dee should be Professor Whiteface.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Possibly Jerome Flynn? I've long imagined Vimes as someone whose past and chosen career have treated him roughly, especially about the face. Makes a nice contrast to the pampered aristos he's obliged to coexist with later, as well.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
Apparently Terry's own choice for Vimes would have been Pete Postlethwaite (mayherestinpeace)

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Tell me that's not Sam godsdamn Vimes.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Jedit posted:

It's also wrong. Unless something changed and I missed it, The Last Hero is meant to be set after all the other books.

Several books implicitly, and Unseen Academicals explicitly, take place after the Last Hero. You can tell because Ponder Stibbons and the Dean both got promotions in UA that they didn't have in LH.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I always thought that the Discworld timeline was roughly equivalent to the publishing order? I haven't really seen anything to suggest otherwise.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

After Thief of Time, sure.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Lord Melchett is the complete opposite of Ridcully though.

Opposite in terms of character, but it's more the loud and brash attitude I'm thinking of. Breezing in, giving orders in a loud voice, ignoring dissent, that sort of animal. I may be thinking more of General Melchett though.

Jack Dee doesn't feel like Vimes to me. He's got the grump down, but he doesn't have the... active feel of later Vimes.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Continuity isn't always perfect either, one big example is that the Department of Postmortem Communications didn't exist in Reaper Man.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

I may be thinking more of General Melchett though.

Yeah, Lord Melchett was the bootlicking coward.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Konstantin posted:

Continuity isn't always perfect either, one big example is that the Department of Postmortem Communications didn't exist in Reaper Man.

Probably because they used to be called the Department of Necromancy..

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Konstantin posted:

Thief of Time :v:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Jack Dee has the cynicism, but he doesn't have the street. If you absolutely must have a comedian for Vimes, you want someone like Paul Merton or John Bishop.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Alhazred posted:

Yeah, Lord Melchett was the bootlicking coward.
Come to think of it, Baldrick wasn't very far off from Nobby. Any of them. Well, not the first one.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

Jack Dee has the cynicism, but he doesn't have the street. If you absolutely must have a comedian for Vimes, you want someone like Paul Merton or John Bishop.

Vimes is far better played by a straight man anyway. He's not a comic character in that fashion.

Based on the ad I just saw for An Inspector Calls I could see David Thewlis (Lupin in Harry Potter) as Vimes actually.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Susan Calman as Cheery?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

:stonk:

That'd be awful.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Geokinesis posted:

:stonk:

That'd be awful.

He'd be better than some upper class guy like Hugh Laurie, who I like, but Vimes has to have a believable working class accent. God knows if Bishop can even act though, and you'd need to give all the other Ankh-Morpork born characters Scouse accents, which would be be pretty funny, but tricky from a casting perspective. Easier just to take someone who can do a passable mockney and work from there.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

So I just finished The Shepherd's Crown. I thought it was pretty good, better than Raising Steam.
So judging by the afterward there's meant to be a fifth Long Earth book, what are the chances that Stephen Baxter will finish it off?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

EvilTaytoMan posted:

So I just finished The Shepherd's Crown. I thought it was pretty good, better than Raising Steam.
So judging by the afterward there's meant to be a fifth Long Earth book, what are the chances that Stephen Baxter will finish it off?

100% certain. Baxter's already said he's doing it and at least one magazine has issued an apology for saying The Long Utopia was the final book in the series.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Long-Cosmos-Terry-Pratchett/dp/0857521780/

June 2016.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mindy Kaling should play Vetinari.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

VagueRant posted:

Tell me that's not Sam godsdamn Vimes.
It must have been quite the thing at the very first convention where Terry described his ideal Vimes actor. "Do you know that Napoleonic wars TV series, Sharpe?"
"Oh yeah, that would make total sense."
"Well, the serial killer Sergeant would make for a perfect Vimes!"
":stare:"

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 11, 2015

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I could see Eddie Marsan as Vimes but I want Pete Postlethwaite. :(

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Opposite in terms of character, but it's more the loud and brash attitude I'm thinking of. Breezing in, giving orders in a loud voice, ignoring dissent, that sort of animal. I may be thinking more of General Melchett though.

Jack Dee doesn't feel like Vimes to me. He's got the grump down, but he doesn't have the... active feel of later Vimes.

Having thought about it a little the past few days, I think Mark Strong could do a decent Vimes. He's about the right age now for Vimes as he starts out I think and reminds me a decent amount of Pete Postlethwaite early on.

Eddie Marsan could be good as well, having seen him as Mr Norrel.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Christopher Eccleston. He's got the shirty working class hate the nobs schtick down pat. Plus he's got the stone face thing going on.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

tessiebee posted:

Christopher Eccleston. He's got the shirty working class hate the nobs schtick down pat. Plus he's got the stone face thing going on.

I had that thought, too. He's got the right fire to be Vimes. And Vimes should be northern.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

tessiebee posted:

I actually thought he'd make a perfect Vetinari. Because, of course, he can do that voice too.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

tessiebee posted:

Who?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The first Doctor in the Doctor Who revival. The northern one. Also, Destro in the GI Joe movie.

He'd do a good Vimes, yeah. He's nowhere near smooth enough for Vetinari I don't think.