Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

I don't think this could be possibly anyone other than me, nobody else has my posting chops

me because you never play any games so your annual post count is small as poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

I have a computer again I can do more than phone post in every game :(

It doesn't help your posting. :v:

Also not every game.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

I have to work on Sunday mafia thread. Woe is me.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

CCKeane posted:

I have to work on Sunday mafia thread. Woe is me.

are you eli manning?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

JakeP posted:

are you eli manning?

Don't blow my cover, Jake. Kept telling them I'm playing "dodgeball".

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

I don't think this could be possibly anyone other than me, nobody else has my posting chops

http://votefinder.org/players

Sort by posts/game. flatluigi and Dragnix were phenoms back in the day.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

merk posted:

Heh, with 9 games played I post an average of 183 times per game.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

merk posted:

anymore*

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Mar 27, 2020

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

TMMadman posted:

It doesn't help your posting. :v:

Also not every game.

Well I just figured out what you were hinting at and I am a total jackass. I was wondering why the XCOM game had gone so quiet as I wasn't looking at the thread names just new post counts, and I guess now I know why. I won't go cleaning up my bookmarked threads while I have games active again. :v:

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

night 0, the claim was my first post of the game, please merk!! That was the day I tried to watch the Transit of Venus but couldn't because it was cloudy and the last thing I wanted was losing merkscumbud to a n0 cop.

I did that!! I was running on something like ~30 hours of being awake. I had a problem with my computer and I accidentally stayed up until 5am trying to fix it, but at 6am I had to drive with one of my interns to Harrisburg, PA (3 hour drive) to photocopy FOIA files all day, and on the drive back we got stuck in both Baltimore AND Washington rush hours trafficks, and somewhere west of Baltimore her car broke down.

When I got home I couldn't sleep and in my manic state I got everyone to vote for Rarity through raw bullying since I knew she was scum but nobody was willing to vote for her for the dumb reasons people never vote for scum.

I tell these anecdotes because knowing people's state of mind when they do things is important, since we are all the products of a million different stories.

Rude. It's a bad idea because it's kinda circlejerky. "Talk about your favorite mafia moments" isn't though so I'm not complaining about that obviously.
Also she made some sort of noodle thing. so THERE.

while Lumpen may have some bad ideas about what mods should and should not do, he also agrees with me completely about bussing. it's usually a bad idea when sheer numbers alone can win the day :colbert:

Bussing is really funny and I encourage things that make games funnier.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

CCKeane posted:

Bussing is really funny and I encourage things that make games funnier.

It is also very fun creating a fake narrative with a fellow scumbo in thread

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Kumbamontu posted:

It is also very fun creating a fake narrative with a fellow scumbo in thread

One of my favorite scum games ever was one where I kept pretending to be a scum usurper in the doc. I forget whether we won or not.

Helped create distance between everybody so our interactions were pretty natural in thread.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kashuno posted:

Well I just figured out what you were hinting at and I am a total jackass. I was wondering why the XCOM game had gone so quiet as I wasn't looking at the thread names just new post counts, and I guess now I know why. I won't go cleaning up my bookmarked threads while I have games active again. :v:

ayy lmao

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

EccoRaven posted:

When I got home I couldn't sleep and in my manic state I got everyone to vote for Rarity through raw bullying since I knew she was scum but nobody was willing to vote for her for the dumb reasons people never vote for scum.

I don't usually like to belabour my point in making cases because then people see it as tunneling and tune out, so I'll make my case and let it stand whether people are convinced or not, but I got a scum lynched the other day through sheer repeating LYNCH THIS GUY, MURDER HIM NOW near deadline, so maybe I'm wrong and if you just yell loudest and more often it gets the job done.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Asiina posted:

I got a scum lynched the other day through sheer repeating LYNCH THIS GUY, MURDER HIM NOW near deadline, so maybe I'm wrong and if you just yell loudest and more often it gets the job done.
when the deadline is close shouting is way way more effective than anything else. people hate you for it but that's their fault, they shouldn't be only posting at deadline anyway!!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I haven't really spent any time on other sites, but even reading mafiascum's wiki for role ideas, I get the sense their overall meta is well on the side of open or semi-open setups whereas here almost every game I've run or played has been closed or mostly-closed. What kind of effect does that have on gameplay? Obviously it creates setup speculation as a topic, which is often viewed as scummy because it distracts from actually finding scum. Any other insights?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I hate open setups, especially with a lot of roles because it's even worse than role madness for logic puzzling out a game. With closed setups an excellent fakeclaim can change the game significantly with what people think is happening, but with open ones there is eventually nowhere to hide.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Asiina posted:

I hate open setups, especially with a lot of roles because it's even worse than role madness for logic puzzling out a game. With closed setups an excellent fakeclaim can change the game significantly with what people think is happening, but with open ones there is eventually nowhere to hide.

This is my take.

See Quid's brilliant fake claim in Tournament of Heroes. It won the game for him.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The first game I played was Semi-open and it was pretty interesting. MMM listed a bunch of roles and said these are the possible roles, some may be duplicated and some may not appear at all. It allowed for some setup spec chat, but kept it somewhat reined in.

Then he threw us all a curveball by having like 3 or 4 trackers in the game.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

TMMadman posted:

The first game I played was Semi-open and it was pretty interesting. MMM listed a bunch of roles and said these are the possible roles, some may be duplicated and some may not appear at all. It allowed for some setup spec chat, but kept it somewhat reined in.

Then he threw us all a curveball by having like 3 or 4 trackers in the game.

this reminds me I recently played in Everyone Is a Tracker and a Rolecop which was true, and also there were plenty of other roles to go around. That was pretty interesting.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, open setups where "These are the roles that are in the game:" are I think less fun than "These are the roles that could exist in the game:"

That being said Met runs open setups quite a bit and his games have been fun, so I think if done right anything works

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kumbamontu posted:

if done right anything works

but this doesn't really help us figure out how to design a good game

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

The answer is the game design isn't important. The effort to balance it and/or engage the players makes it good. The players who play the game are far more important. That's all it is good day

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Asiina posted:

That time Rarity was about to get lynched, claimed cop and then when the real cop counterclaimed she used her scum dayvig to shoot him was pretty amazing.

This also happened to me. Taste was running The Wire mafia and it was my first game as a power role and I was very excited. I went to go get some ice cream, saw Rarity's claim, voted Rarity to try to signal to folks "Hey yall I'm still gonna vote Rarity even though they claimed cop", and claimed when that didn't go anywhere. I figured "Hey, the doc can come save me so this will be okay." I don't think I had ever seen a scumvig before so I was completely blindsided by that. I babbled about it the whole way home to my very unlucky then fiancee.

Luckily for me, town was able to read my posting style (This guy is scum! -> Night -> Hmmm, actually I don't think they are scum) and not end up killing the person I had gotten a result on N1.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Hey guys how's everyone doing! Anything cool happen lately, any of my games get re-run? People were asking for the setups before and I'd be curious to see how they fared.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Please run another Wild West <3

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

it's usually a bad idea when sheer numbers alone can win the day :colbert:

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

!!!!!!

!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

I think I was pretty clear. a warm body is almost always better than (fleeting) town cred. thus it's generally better to hard defend a scumbuddy than bus them.

Tom Tucker posted:

Hey guys how's everyone doing! Anything cool happen lately, any of my games get re-run? People were asking for the setups before and I'd be curious to see how they fared.

I don't recall if any were! BottleKnight is running a game right now titled Wild West Mafia but it's unrelated.

I am opening a game today thomas tucker and I would be honored if you'd play in it.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Tom Tucker posted:

MMM said "You're no Tom Tucker" when I started Wild West Mafia. I didn't ctrl+f the completed games list so I didn't know I was copying the name of a previous game. But people seemed to like those so I bookmarked them for later!

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

CCKeane posted:

This is my take.

See Quid's brilliant fake claim in Tournament of Heroes. It won the game for him.

idk how brilliant it was, though I appreciate the compliment. I was up against a wall and thought up the most bizarre claim I could muster in a game filled with bizarre roles. I just happene to hot that sweet spot of believability.

I was pretty sure I was sunk when both my investigations flipped town, but it turned out that having no explanation was townier than trying to explain it away.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Kumbamontu posted:

Yeah, open setups where "These are the roles that are in the game:" are I think less fun than "These are the roles that could exist in the game:"

That being said Met runs open setups quite a bit and his games have been fun, so I think if done right anything works

I agree. I personally love it when mods play with expectations. It is why I am always hesitant to rely on meta flavor arguments.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Asiina posted:

That time Rarity was about to get lynched, claimed cop and then when the real cop counterclaimed she used her scum dayvig to shoot him was pretty amazing.

Oh man, this was great. My favourite mafia moment until earlier this year.

EccoRaven posted:

I did that!! I was running on something like ~30 hours of being awake. I had a problem with my computer and I accidentally stayed up until 5am trying to fix it, but at 6am I had to drive with one of my interns to Harrisburg, PA (3 hour drive) to photocopy FOIA files all day, and on the drive back we got stuck in both Baltimore AND Washington rush hours trafficks, and somewhere west of Baltimore her car broke down.

I was so mad at you for that. You were the only person who'd suspected me all game and we were so close to deadline I was sure I was gonna get through fine. Then you came along and blew up my plan of using the vig as an automatic win at LYLO :(

Seeing as we're talking about awesome mafia memories, I have to talk about Skyrim, a game where I managed to

- escape a huge amount of instant heat for a fake flavour claim
- create a masonry with one of the opposing scum then convince them we were lovers so they wouldn't kill me
- get the town nightvig lynched
- gamble on not being lovers by killing my mason buddy and be right
- scum claim in thread after being tracked to the NK

and still win. A broken setup but a really fun game.

In less egotistical memories, Taste winning Counter Strike with a bizarre survivor claim was really drat impressive.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

chaoslord posted:

I babbled about it the whole way home to my very unlucky then fiancee.

I'm sorry I broke your relationship :(

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Kaschei sorry that I let the game time out! I meant to resign but got distracted. Good game.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Tom Tucker posted:

Take your coat off, stay a while :)

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Quote this post and I'll insult you

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Magnus Gallant posted:

Quote this post and I'll insult you

Hello Magnus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

CCKeane posted:

Hello Magnus.

You smell like a diaper full of diarrhea, and not normal diarrhea, diarrhea that looks like the spiciest yellow curry you've ever eaten.

Also you play dodgeball.