Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

SeANMcBAY posted:

There's gotta be some type of catch? Isn't that cheaper then just outright buying the phone?

you have to be on Jump! on demand to get the deal--- which is $10/mo, so over the 18 months add $180, then tack that on to the 'final' price of $524 to get $704. Still cheaper than $777 but not deal-of-the-year cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Crosspost from the iphone thread.

Has anyone contacted Apple to find out if TMobile prepaid plans (specifically the 100minute/5GB 4G for $35/mo) plan would work with their new iphone payment plans?

You just need to order a prepaid SIM and activate online to get the $35 plan.

nimper fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 10, 2015

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

T-Mobile sells the 16GB iPhone 6s for $524
Apple is selling the 16GB iPhone 6s for $777

http://gizmodo.com/t-mobile-undercuts-apples-iphone-upgrade-plan-with-20-1729796591

That's a bit misleading, as the Apple plan has Applecare, which costs $130 for two years. Jump On Demand doesn't come with insurance, but you can get it through TMobile have for $8 a month. It covers loss and theft in addition to damage, where Applecare does not. Deductible is higher, $175 for an iPhone vs. $100.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Qwijib0 posted:

you have to be on Jump! on demand to get the deal--- which is $10/mo, so over the 18 months add $180, then tack that on to the 'final' price of $524 to get $704. Still cheaper than $777 but not deal-of-the-year cheap.

You are, understandably, getting Jump! and Jump! On Demand confused. They're actually different things, and you can't be in both at the same time. At least that is what this FAQ makes it sound like, I might be just as confused. Jump! did come with device protection tho, so it's if you want something that's the same there's the $8 a month thing I mentioned.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 10, 2015

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

nimper posted:

You just need to order a prepaid SIM and activate online to get the $35 plan.

Yeah I guess it's not really an easy question to answer because no one knows anything about the plan yet. I attempted to chat with an Apple rep but it required me to input info from a current iphone .. I guess I will give them a call instead tomorrow to try to find out more.

I'm wondering if Apple will know / care if I buy the phone off contract with Verizon then swap over to TMobile pre-paid.. This seems like one of the cheaper ways to go if you don't need minutes. Hell even just buying the phone through Apple and remaining month to month on my current Verizon plan would be cheaper if they'll let me.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

FogHelmut posted:

Is there a difference between the pre-paid and not pre-paid plans? They have them listed on different sections of the website. Do they provide the same service? They are at the same price levels and look almost identical. Is the only difference that the one you pay up front and the other is that you are billed?

Prepaid actually costs the advertised price. Postpaid has taxes and fees after the fact. Prepaid doesn't get to finance devices or some extra perks like data roaming, but "music freedom" seems to work.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

eddiewalker posted:

Prepaid actually costs the advertised price. Postpaid has taxes and fees after the fact. Prepaid doesn't get to finance devices or some extra perks like data roaming, but "music freedom" seems to work.

Music Freedom works even on the $30 prepaid "Nerd" plan. Also you don't get the international roaming except canada and Mexico.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I guess I'm confused - there's Simply Prepaid and Simple Choice, right? I upgraded from the $30 nerd plan to the $80 unlimited plan. I'm paying the same way I was paying on the $30 plan - load money into my account with the credit card, and then on the day it's due the money is taken from the balance. Is this different from a plan that bills me after the fact? Or is this the same thing?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

I'm wondering if Apple will know / care if I buy the phone off contract with Verizon then swap over to TMobile pre-paid.. This seems like one of the cheaper ways to go if you don't need minutes. Hell even just buying the phone through Apple and remaining month to month on my current Verizon plan would be cheaper if they'll let me.

The phone will be unlocked and work on any carrier so you wouldn't have to worry about what Apple wants you to do.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

nimper posted:

The phone will be unlocked and work on any carrier so you wouldn't have to worry about what Apple wants you to do.

It may have to be activated before you leave the store. Apple probably gets a kickback.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Don Lapre posted:

It may have to be activated before you leave the store. Apple probably gets a kickback.

Probably right but you could activate it on your current plan and then immediately jump ship. It's still unlocked and you're not signing a carrier contract.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

nimper posted:

Probably right but you could activate it on your current plan and then immediately jump ship. It's still unlocked and you're not signing a carrier contract.

Yea, but i imagine most people doing this wont already have a current plan unless they were planning on cancelling and jumping to prepaid as soon as the new iphone came out.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Yea, but i imagine most people doing this wont already have a current plan unless they were planning on cancelling and jumping to prepaid as soon as the new iphone came out.

Except this is exactly what I want to do if they'll let me. I'm going to try calling someone up at Apple tomorrow at lunch to see if anyone can clarify this for me..

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

So right now I have a 16 gb 6 and i'm paying 19 a month on my jump plan. it's be 20 for a 6s. 24 for a 6s+. I'd still have to pay the sales tax if I jumped to the new phone, right?

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

So right now I have a 16 gb 6 and i'm paying 19 a month on my jump plan. it's be 20 for a 6s. 24 for a 6s+. I'd still have to pay the sales tax if I jumped to the new phone, right?

Yeah, sales tax on full retail.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Yeah I guess it's not really an easy question to answer because no one knows anything about the plan yet. I attempted to chat with an Apple rep but it required me to input info from a current iphone .. I guess I will give them a call instead tomorrow to try to find out more.

nimper posted:

nimper posted:

Following up on all this. Just got off the phone with Apple and they confirmed they don't care what you do with the phone, just make sure to buy the unlocked version.

I plan on setting up a preorder at an Apple store, purchasing the phone on my current Verizon plan and then switching over to the 30/mo Tmobile plan. This should result in me saving ~$30/month if my calculations are correct and I'd only be losing 1GB of data from what I currently have with Verizon. Pretty legit and it's nice knowing if I have any problems with the Tmobile plan I'm not locked in to it forever + snazzy new phone in a year.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Excellent.

I'm glad Apple is pushing the unlocked/universal compatibility angle here. We saw this with Google's Nexus 6 last year and now Motorola's new Moto X Pure.

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!
So Jump on Demand for the 64GB iPhone 6s is only $20/month. I'm paying $27 a month right now for my 64GB 6 on the plain old equipment installment plan. Am I totally missing something, or is there any reason not to do Jump on Demand?

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

ryangs posted:

So Jump on Demand for the 64GB iPhone 6s is only $20/month. I'm paying $27 a month right now for my 64GB 6 on the plain old equipment installment plan. Am I totally missing something, or is there any reason not to do Jump on Demand?

Because you'll never own the phone, you're just leasing it. So if that's not a big deal to you, then no not really.

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Because you'll never own the phone, you're just leasing it. So if that's not a big deal to you, then no not really.

Can't you just pay the remaining balance at the end of 18 months if you want to own it? And isn't the total one will have paid after 18 months plus the remaining balance LESS than what one would pay over 24 months on the regular EIP? They quote a total JOD price of $624 for the 64GB iPhone 6, while the retail price is $750.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

ryangs posted:

Can't you just pay the remaining balance at the end of 18 months if you want to own it? And isn't the total one will have paid after 18 months plus the remaining balance LESS than what one would pay over 24 months on the regular EIP? They quote a total JOD price of $624 for the 64GB iPhone 6, while the retail price is $750.

Apparently you pay ~$160 if you want to buy the phone after the JOD period ends.

On Unlimited Simple Choice, I just paid off the last $60 on my 5s EIP. I want to get the iPhone 6s. Does anyone know how/if this works with pre-ordering? How does pre-ordering from T-Mobile usually work? And am I correct in assuming I won't need to pay anything upfront since it will be parceled out as part of my monthly bill?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Enderzero posted:

Apparently you pay ~$160 if you want to buy the phone after the JOD period ends.

On Unlimited Simple Choice, I just paid off the last $60 on my 5s EIP. I want to get the iPhone 6s. Does anyone know how/if this works with pre-ordering? How does pre-ordering from T-Mobile usually work? And am I correct in assuming I won't need to pay anything upfront since it will be parceled out as part of my monthly bill?

You just pay the sales tax on the price of the 6s at the time of checkout. That's it.

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Enderzero posted:

My math shows it would be $182 for the 64gb model. $100 down + 18 payments of $19 + $182 final payment = $624 total price. It really seems too good to be true. Maybe the discount from the $750 retail price is to help account for the fact that you have to pay for sales tax on the full retail price?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

ryangs posted:

My math shows it would be $182 for the 64gb model. $100 down + 18 payments of $19 + $182 final payment = $624 total price. It really seems too good to be true. Maybe the discount from the $750 retail price is to help account for the fact that you have to pay for sales tax on the full retail price?

That's always been the case.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

I guess I'm confused - there's Simply Prepaid and Simple Choice, right? I upgraded from the $30 nerd plan to the $80 unlimited plan. I'm paying the same way I was paying on the $30 plan - load money into my account with the credit card, and then on the day it's due the money is taken from the balance. Is this different from a plan that bills me after the fact? Or is this the same thing?

The postpaid simple choice has taxes and government fees and stuff so you end up paying more than the advertised price unlike the prepaid where the price is the price.

I just did the same thing going from the $30 to the unlimited and to offset the pain of not having a $30 phone bill anymore started buying time on eBay. I don't know what shady crap they do but you can get a good hefty discount buying like $95 of credit for 60 bucks.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I'm angry at att for charging me to tether. Should I switch to t-mo? I currently pay $70/m for 1gb of data, unlimited text, 450/m (I don't care about minutes). Any truth the to the network not being quite as good? I'm in the Seattle area if that makes any difference.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
T-Mobile's US headquarters is in Bellevue. The network around here is really good.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Kreeblah posted:

T-Mobile's US headquarters is in Bellevue. The network around here is really good.

Oh yeah! Well then I suppose I'm calling them at 12:01.

if it breeds it leads
Jan 3, 2001
Forum Veteran

ryangs posted:

Where did you get the quote for $19 a month for the 64gb? I just called and got quoted $26 a month. :whitewater:

They also couldn't tell me how much it will cost to but the phone after 18 months are up because their system was down.

if it breeds it leads fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Sep 12, 2015

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

mowhonic posted:

Where did you get the quote for $19 a month for the 64gb? I just called and got quoted $26 a month. :whitewater:

http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news/t-mobile-links/faq-upgrading-your-phone-with-jump-and-jump-on-demand.htm

That says $100 down and $19/month

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is it worth it to go the Jump On Demand route for a 64GB 6S+ if I plan on probably getting another iPhone next year? I don't mind just straight up paying off the phone right now but this seems cheaper in the end unless I'm missing something.

These monthly payments confuse me and I don't want to end up paying more money in the end.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Sep 12, 2015

if it breeds it leads
Jan 3, 2001
Forum Veteran

"introductory promotional pricing (with service)" I'm guessing that means you need to be a new t-mobile customer (I'm not). I'm currently on the phone queue again to try and find out.

Update: Woman claimed that I could not get the promotional pricing unless I also purchased the $10/mo insurance. I don't really believe that because the page you linked says nothing of the sort, and JOD is specifically the option that doesn't come with insurance. I'm thinking of calling tomorrow to try my luck again.

if it breeds it leads fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Sep 12, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have an old grandfathered "unlimited" (5GB) plan on AT&T and re-upped a 2 year contract for the iPhone 6 last September. My understanding is, according to this: http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news/t-mobile-links/faq-upgrading-your-phone-with-jump-and-jump-on-demand.htm

-I can get a 64GB iPhone 6S for $99 down + $19/mo.
-If I want to upgrade to the iPhone 7 after 12 months, I can either trade in my 6S or pay $164 to buy the phone outright.

-I tend to use around 2.5GB data/month, with the random spike to 5 or 6GB, so I can get the 3GB plan for $60/mo.

T-Mobile will pay my ETF as long as I trade in my phone, but I can obviously sell my iPhone 6 for more than my ETF. Can I try to find an old dumbphone and use that as my trade-in?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

mowhonic posted:

"introductory promotional pricing (with service)" I'm guessing that means you need to be a new t-mobile customer (I'm not). I'm currently on the phone queue again to try and find out.

Update: Woman claimed that I could not get the promotional pricing unless I also purchased the $10/mo insurance. I don't really believe that because the page you linked says nothing of the sort, and JOD is specifically the option that doesn't come with insurance. I'm thinking of calling tomorrow to try my luck again.

You don't need insurance to receive the promotional pricing. I did the Jump on Demand offer for the 6 to 6S upgrade, and received the credit without having insurance on my plan.

Josh Lyman posted:

I have an old grandfathered "unlimited" (5GB) plan on AT&T and re-upped a 2 year contract for the iPhone 6 last September. My understanding is, according to this: http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news/t-mobile-links/faq-upgrading-your-phone-with-jump-and-jump-on-demand.htm

-I can get a 64GB iPhone 6S for $99 down + $19/mo.
-If I want to upgrade to the iPhone 7 after 12 months, I can either trade in my 6S or pay $164 to buy the phone outright.

-I tend to use around 2.5GB data/month, with the random spike to 5 or 6GB, so I can get the 3GB plan for $60/mo.

T-Mobile will pay my ETF as long as I trade in my phone, but I can obviously sell my iPhone 6 for more than my ETF. Can I try to find an old dumbphone and use that as my trade-in?

You can only buy the phone outright at the end of the 18-month lease term. For your trade-in, you have to trade-in "a working smartphone," which means a $20 prepaid smartphone will do.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Godzilla07 posted:

You can only buy the phone outright at the end of the 18-month lease term. For your trade-in, you have to trade-in "a working smartphone," which means a $20 prepaid smartphone will do.
Okay, so if I want to upgrade to a 7 next September, I would trade in my 6S, or I could wait until the 18 months are up, buy the 6S, sell it privately, then start a new 18 month agreement for a 7?

Also, where would I get a $20 prepaid smartphone?

Edit: If I'm leading the phone with Jump On Demand, does that mean extended warranty coverage from American Express doesn't apply since I'm not actually buying phone in one transaction?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 12, 2015

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
My family is currently on AT&T, and we are investigating other options. We have 4 iPhones.

It appears to me that at this point, the cost of the phone ends up being essentially the same between all the carriers. You pay some fraction of the cost of the device each month and eventually pay it off. So I don't think it's really worth it to factor that into calculations (especially as our strategy is going to be to upgrade phones every 3 years or so, so we're always going to pay out the cost of the phone). Or am I wrong, and the differences between the carriers is more significant than that?

With AT&T, we pay 30$ (2 GB plan) + (25$ (unsubsidized phone) * 4) = 130$ a month, with another 35$ in taxes and fees.

It appears that with T-Mobile, we would pay 60$ (3 GB for me) + 30$ (1 GB for my wife) + (10$ (1 GB for parents) * 2) = 110$, with probably another 30-odd $ in taxes and fees.

So it appears that---not taking into phone loans---T-Mobile ends up being 20$ a month cheaper, which is pretty significant. Is there something I'm missing, or is T-Mobile just cheaper? What's the catch?

In terms of actually switching with phones, my phone and my mom's phone are off-contract, so my understanding is that we can bring those over with no problems, right? The other two phones are on-contract, so we'd need to buy new phones, but T-Mobile would help offset that cost, right?

It feels like evaluating our mobile plan options is more complicated than it needs to be :(

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The catch is that T-Mobile doesn't have as good coverage as AT&T and Verizon but it gets better every year. Just check out coverage maps before switching.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
So when they say "unlimited" data in the OP, is it actually unlimited? That seems too good to be true.

And on the 5gb/10gb, there's no overage, right? Just throttling?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

DoctorWhat posted:

So when they say "unlimited" data in the OP, is it actually unlimited? That seems too good to be true.

And on the 5gb/10gb, there's no overage, right? Just throttling?

Yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
So when the 1GB/3GB/5GB whatever gets "used up", how much slower is the remaining "unlimited" data?