Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
nobody wants anyone to die

but sometimes the going gets tough

you gotta roll a hard six

you gotta make some tough choices

you gotta separate the brain from the rest of the body

you gotta tighten your belt

you gotta do what must be done

you gotta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
:unsmith:

quote:

A 92-year-old armed forces veteran has offered up his spare room to house Syrian refugees after being moved by the plight of families fleeing war and persecution.

John Spicer said the images that emerged last week of Aylan Kurdi washed up on a beach in Turkey brought back difficult memories from his own past trying to help dying refugees in the Middle East.

He and his son Frank have registered with an online scheme to put up a refugee family in their three-bed house in Thanet, Kent.

Now he hopes his gesture may “inspire other people” to do the same.

Speaking exclusively to The Independent, Frank Spicer said he asked his father about it yesterday and that he was now “in the spare room – he’s started sorting it out already”.

John was in the reserves at the end of the Second World War but did not get the chance to fight, while his brothers and friends all did. Out of “embarrassment” he signed up as soon as the war finished – and was stationed in what was then British-administrated Palestine.

“Funnily enough, he was helping refugees at that time too,” Frank said.

“The horrible thing was that this same situation with drowning refugees was going on then.

“They had the Arabs attacking on one side because part of their land was being taken away, and on the other side they were so overwhelmed with Jewish refugees that they couldn’t let them all in.

“People were drowning in the sea just as they are now. They were picking up bodies off the beach there too.”

I just showed my Dad this picture of him and told him that he is getting a wee bit famous.He really doesn't understand...

Frank said his father was “a really humble, lovely man” who, when asked if they could take in a refugee family, said: “Yes, of course, that’s a good idea.”

After signing up to the Homes for Syrians website, Frank posted an image of John dressed up with his medals for last year’s Remembrance Day service on a Facebook group in support of refugees in Calais.

The image of his father struck a chord on the group – “went a little bit viral”, as he put it, and he said that’s a good thing.

“We’d like it to inspire other people. We want them to think that if a man of that age can bend over backwards to help people out, then why can’t they?”

Some extra details about Homes for Syrians, which seems to be an AirBNB for refugees seeking housing in the UK.

quote:

Richard Moore, who set up the Homes for Syrians website, said John was quickly becoming the "poster boy" for his campaign.

He told The Independent he set up the website after seeing the sheer number of Syrian refugees on a visit to the Greek islands, at which point "the scale of the problem struck me".

"The site has only been live for a couple of days but so far, the response has been amazingly positive and makes me proud to be British. It's all a little overwhelming to be honest."

Mr Moore said he hoped evidence of a resource of free accomodation for Syrian refugees would encourage the Government to let more in, and said: "People want to help and many can afford to do so. Let them."

Homes for Syrians is one of a number of popular initiatives set up in recent days to provide support to refugees and put pressure on the Government to do more to help.

The Independent also has a fantastic article compiling a lot of different ways that you can get involved.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/5-practical-ways-you-can-help-refugees-trying-to-find-safety-in-europe-10482902.html

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

Gotta let em die, its too financially difficult. *cocks shotgun* Sorry son.

Between this 'argument' and the 'Borders dont exist/matter mannnnnnn', It hurts to read this thread.

Financial resources exist. Borders exists and they matter, whether or not they should. The world should be fair, but it isn't. Do you want to talk about developments, realistic solutions, and the costs, problems, and benefits of those solutions, or do you want live in the ponyverse where everyone gets along and every story ends with friendship?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

MaxxBot posted:

In your opinion is the only proper interpretation of that phrase to allow completely unlimited immigration into the US?

No, we should limit it to just the poor and the oppressed.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Between this 'argument' and the 'Borders dont exist/matter mannnnnnn', It hurts to read this thread.

Financial resources exist. Borders exists and they matter, whether or not they should. The world should be fair, but it isn't. Do you want to talk about developments, realistic solutions, and the costs, problems, and benefits of those solutions, or do you want live in the ponyverse where everyone gets along and every story ends with friendship?

that seems like a stupid question since the second option is the only one that requires the real world to change for the better in any way

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

If a Syrian voilinist needs to be surgically attached to an Aryan woman is the Aryan obliged to provide him 9 months?

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Baron Porkface posted:

If a Syrian voilinist needs to be surgically attached to an Aryan woman is the Aryan obliged to provide him 9 months?

Can someone be so kind to explain this because i read it elsewhere in a 'more you know' kind of magazine too, but i had a hangover and didn't really get it at that time, or maybe i forgot.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Volkerball posted:

:unsmith:

Some extra details about Homes for Syrians, which seems to be an AirBNB for refugees seeking housing in the UK.

The Independent also has a fantastic article compiling a lot of different ways that you can get involved.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/5-practical-ways-you-can-help-refugees-trying-to-find-safety-in-europe-10482902.html

aww, thats heartwarming for once. :yayclod:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

You know one of the things that strikes me strongly here in Britain is that those who served in World War 2 (or shortly after like this wonderful man) are the kind of people who tend to abhor violence and show genuine compassion for their fellow humans.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp
Zizek is Life.
Zizek Is Love.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I, too, believe that groups celebrated by society share my views.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

MaxxBot posted:

So do you think that first world countries are obligated to just open their borders up and allow hundreds of millions of desperately poor people to flow in?

Yes, without exception.

CSPAN Caller
Oct 16, 2012

Humans Among Us posted:

Can someone be so kind to explain this because i read it elsewhere in a 'more you know' kind of magazine too, but i had a hangover and didn't really get it at that time, or maybe i forgot.

The Red Violin (1998)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

I, too, believe that groups celebrated by society share my views.

Aimed at me? I don't think that at all. 'ARE TROUPS' is used all the time and despite WW2 veteran MPs being anti-war, modern veterans who served in things like the War on Terror tend to be masturbating on camera as they discuss the methods to drone strike Syria. I don't support veterans uncritically, I just find that those who saw the horrors of war in the mid-20th century tend to be a lot less ridiculous about the human costs.

This is by no means a suggestion that a) WW2 veterans (in general) share my views; or b) people of that generation don't have awful views.

I mean you can simplify it that way if you want, but I wouldn't recommend doing so if you're capable of toddler logic or* higher.

e: *or, not of

Tesseraction fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 11, 2015

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

quote:

So do you think that first world countries are obligated to just open their borders up and allow hundreds of millions of desperately poor people to flow in?

SedanChair posted:

Yes, without exception.

So... what? USA admitted 70,000 refugee's in 2014. Germany alone is set to take in 12x as many to a country not even 1/5 as populous.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

That isn't what he was arguing.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Saros posted:

So... what? USA admitted 70,000 refugee's in 2014. Germany alone is set to take in 12x as many to a country not even 1/5 as populous.

Is that meant to be a criticism of America's cold asylum policy or...?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Possibly both!

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Arglebargle III posted:

This is a nice explanation of Iran, but how would you explain the failure of the secular Pan-Arab autocracies/limited democracies to deliver prosperity or real democracy? I'm just asking because you stated the case so well here.

It's quite hard to build a transnational union, especially when you make it out of states with widely divergent strategic interests.

Also, secular nationalism is not a panacea. All WANA modernizers have to contend with political Islam. Most have chosen wrongly to suppress or control it. This worked for Kemal and Nasser, barely. But eventually the things you suppress will rebound on you, and you are forced to bow to it, and attempt to direct it outward (Ghaddafi, KSA). If you don't manage to do both those things you will lose your country (Sadat, Pahlavi).

Dilkington fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 11, 2015

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Saros posted:

Possibly both!

What's the second half of both? Or is it open ended? Am I waiting for Godot now?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Dilkington posted:

Also, secular nationalism is not a panacea. All WANA modernizers have to contend with political Islam. Most have chosen wrongly to suppress or control it. This worked for Kemal and Nasser, barely. But eventually the things you suppress will rebound on you, and you are forced to bow to it, and attempt to direct it outward (Ghaddafi, KSA). If you don't manage to do either both those things you will lose your country (Sadat, Pahlavi).

I admit I've lapsed on my history of GA Nasser's premiership, but was his method to suppress/control religion or merely to focus on Pan-Arabism as a shared 'brotherhood of man' - which makes sense in the context of the Ummah. I don't think he was being manipulative in this regard as speaking as a secularist-but-raised-Christian I feel no shame in holding to the humanistic tenants of the Bible, even if I don't necessarily believe a third of the Trinity spoke those words (in Aramaic) 2000 years ago after being born of wallhacking sperm.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MaxxBot posted:

In your opinion is the only proper interpretation of that phrase to allow completely unlimited immigration into the US?

No, the proper interpretation of that phrase is that tired people, poor people, and people yearning to breathe free should be allowed to immigrate into the US.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp

gradenko_2000 posted:

No, the proper interpretation of that phrase is that tired people, poor people, and people yearning to breathe free should be allowed to immigrate into the US.

Do you believe in overpopulation?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

PerpetualSelf posted:

As an abstract concept or as a thing that is about to happen because of immigration?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

PerpetualSelf posted:

Possible, but unlikely given that the United States has the physical resources to feed a much more dense population than currently exists.

An example where this refugee crisis is causing overpopulation would be the Greek islands currently struggling with the sheer number of the dispossessed who have struggled to their shores.

Despite this, those people were sacrificing their own resources before the international community gave a drat. Hell, our fascistic British papers were running stories about how the refugees were ruining the holidays of British tourists who wanted a nice relaxing vacation and all those foreign people crying with happiness at surviving the journey was ruining their buzz.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

PerpetualSelf posted:

This is the guy who advocated machine-gunning refugees BTW.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

PerpetualSelf posted:

Do you believe that children can be considered "over" or "surplus" population when they are standing on one part of the Earth, but not when they are standing on a different part?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

Its one or the other: Either you keep complaining about the financial hardship and accept that rejecting refugees will most likely result in preventable deaths, or you bite the bullet, save some lives, and in the end probably make it out okay financially.
I think it's better to save Syria than to just bring in their refugees and do nothing about their home country

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Tesseraction posted:

I admit I've lapsed on my history of GA Nasser's premiership, but was his method to suppress/control religion or merely to focus on Pan-Arabism as a shared 'brotherhood of man' - which makes sense in the context of the Ummah. I don't think he was being manipulative in this regard...

Nasser's government imprisoned ulema, outlawed religious courts, and put Al-Azhar under state control- that's what I mean when I say he chose to "suppress or control" religion.

Regarding the ummah: an Islamist critique of Pan-Arabism would point out that it's ethnocentric and so it gives preference to Arab heretics (Shia, Alawites) over Muslim non-Arabs (Kurds, Turks), i.e. the secular ethno-state over the ummah.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

amuayse posted:

I think it's better to save Syria than to just bring in their refugees and do nothing about their home country

It's a good thing, then, that we're trying to do both. European (and other) countries are sending money and personnel to areas affected by the crisis. It just isn't enough to focus just on that, so we also have to accept refugees coming in to put the pressure off of resources in the region.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

murphyslaw posted:

It's a good thing, then, that we're trying to do both. European (and other) countries are sending money and personnel to areas affected by the crisis. It just isn't enough to focus just on that, so we also have to accept refugees coming in to put the pressure off of resources in the region.

While I do appreciate that, the nations are doing too little in both regards. They don't really seem to have a plan beyond accepting refugees and giving them free housing and benefits, and the aid for the countries seem to be more basic humanitarian aid than the massive restructuring that's required.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

gradenko_2000 posted:

That could describe billions of people though. I just find it funny that a bunch of people who all want a high living wage, GMI, generous social safety nets, etc also are ok with bringing in massive quantities of very poor people. Those two things are simply not compatible.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 11, 2015

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

really there just isn't nearly enough foreign intervention in the world today

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Dilkington posted:

Nasser's government imprisoned ulema, outlawed religious courts, and put Al-Azhar under state control- that's what I mean when I say he chose to "suppress or control" religion.

Regarding the ummah: an Islamist critique of Pan-Arabism would point out that it's ethnocentric and so it gives preference to Arab heretics (Shia, Alawites) over Muslim non-Arabs (Kurds, Turks), i.e. the secular ethno-state over the ummah.

Ah, thanks for the clarification!

Ernie Muppari posted:

really there just isn't nearly enough foreign intervention in the world today

Agreed, I think we should invade Tunisia those motherfuckers set up a proper democracy and we can't be having that it undermines the whole point of the Arab Spring!!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

SedanChair posted:

Do you believe that children can be considered "over" or "surplus" population when they are standing on one part of the Earth, but not when they are standing on a different part?

Of course. For example, if there are more people in an area than that area can feed, for whatever reason, then there is a surplus population, and we should move that surplus population (or facilitate/allow them to move autonomously) to somewhere with more resources, especially children.

chessmaster13
Jan 10, 2015

MaxxBot posted:

That could describe billions of people though. I just find it funny that a bunch of people who all want a high living wage, GMI, generous social safety nets, etc also are ok with bringing in massive quantities of very poor people. Those two things are simply not compatible.

I learned that there are two kinds of people. And I guess that they don't live on the same planet.

Pragmatists and ideologists.

There is no way to convince an ideologist with reason, numbers or cold hard facts.
All you do is make yourself look like an cold unfeeling rear end in a top hat in his/her eyes.

But it's the same way the other way around:

An ideologist attempting to convince a pragmatist with feelings, ideology and
"it's the right thing to do" will be seen as an idiot in the pragmatists eyes.

I consider myself an pragmatist and came to accept that.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

IDK I have no trouble switching between pure ideology and accepting pragmatism. Well, unless 'gently caress it let's do nothing' is the definition of pragmatism in this case.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MaxxBot posted:

We already don't have a high living wage, nor a GMI, nor a generous safety net, so it's not like there's anything to lose by bringing in the :airquote: massive quantities :airquote: of very poor people regardless.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Zodium posted:

Of course. For example, if there are more people in an area than that area can feed, for whatever reason, then there is a surplus population, and we should move that surplus population (or facilitate/allow them to move autonomously) to somewhere with more resources, especially children.

I can buy fresh produce and stuff from as far away as Israel while living in almost the furthest tip of Europe (Ireland). This isn't the 19th century; if you increase the demand, the supply will increase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8xwLWb0lLY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Bedshaped posted:

I can buy fresh produce and stuff from as far away as Israel while living in almost the furthest tip of Europe (Ireland). This isn't the 19th century; if you increase the demand, the supply will increase.

You misunderstood his post. You can (where you live), they can't (where they live), it's a good thing they're moving from where they live to where you live. (Which is what he's saying if I understood him right, in a joke response to the overpopulation! guy.)

• Locked thread