Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

CodfishCartographer posted:

Evangelion On Ice: A Musical

They did it for Gurren Lagann, so why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Pureauthor posted:

Meantime, I still wonder what they're gonna do with 4.0.

Anno self-immolates on the steps of the Diet and stares into the camera while a new version of Komm, Susser Tod plays.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

4.0 should be a found footage movie about Anno trying to get Tomino to like him.

It ends with one of them being killed.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Scuttlebutt on the horrible image board place is that more reasonable rips will be out near the end of the month. Sephirotic was doing his quick with an eye too minimum loss of detail. It sure does look a lot nicer but yeah those file sizes.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrKMiE9WII0

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Pro click. There's hundreds of these but they don't all have the dancing.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

House Louse posted:

Pro click. There's hundreds of these but they don't all have the dancing.

Is there at least one nearly on par with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xx4tszZ-DE

??!?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

holy poo poo

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

If they're asking for military assistance against the Russians, they've got it.

SebastianK
Dec 4, 2011

Congratulations

Fantastic

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Probably the first time since the steam sale video I haven't been disappointed when I see the evangelion thread updated.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It was too good to be true. Here's the audio:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abbp1H-fBPk

Here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W9locobd0o

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
At least we'll always have Goofy. :shobon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY1UhPMpWnc

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Found something else folks might not have seen yet, but is well worth your time.

As most folks know Hideki Anno is a huge Ultraman and Kamen Rider fan. His house is covered in their toys. He still gets up at 7 am to watch the latest Sentai show, which annoys his wife. He never really stopped being the otaku he was in college, despite marriage, despite Eva, despite everything. Read Insufficient Direction, a gag manga written by his wife, Moyoco Anno for more on his frankly bizarre home life.

But one of the most interesting bits from that manga was that young Anno starred in a shot by shot fan remake of Return of Ultraman back in the 80s. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a version with subtitles, but considering it's a fanmade VHS rip from 30 years ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJZBt6wTNe0

Anno makes his appearance as Ultraman starting at 18:30. It's a wonder to behold, especially considering he doesn't bother with the helmet.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Found something else folks might not have seen yet, but is well worth your time.

As most folks know Hideki Anno is a huge Ultraman and Kamen Rider fan. His house is covered in their toys. He still gets up at 7 am to watch the latest Sentai show, which annoys his wife. He never really stopped being the otaku he was in college, despite marriage, despite Eva, despite everything. Read Insufficient Direction, a gag manga written by his wife, Moyoco Anno for more on his frankly bizarre home life.

But one of the most interesting bits from that manga was that young Anno starred in a shot by shot fan remake of Return of Ultraman back in the 80s. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a version with subtitles, but considering it's a fanmade VHS rip from 30 years ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJZBt6wTNe0

Anno makes his appearance as Ultraman starting at 18:30. It's a wonder to behold, especially considering he doesn't bother with the helmet.

thank you

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Insufficient Direction,

definitely going to read this, even if only for the essay (?) written by hideaki

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Linnaeus posted:

definitely going to read this, even if only for the essay (?) written by hideaki

It's a good essay/afterward. Dude really loves his wife, and it shows.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

this probably gets posted a lot or at least I hope so cause it's killer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh0qbJAQhgk
I wanna gif him doing the kamen rider poses

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 15, 2015

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Zas posted:

I wanna gif him doing the kamen rider poses

From Blue Blazes (Aoi Honō), a wonderful TV show about Kazuhiko Shimamoto's time at the Osaka University of Arts animation program, alongside the guys who would later start Gainax, Bones, and others.

And then, of course, there's this:

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
It looks like 3.33 is getting a US release in 'early 2016' from Funimation, with subtitles approved by Khara.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

These better be the best god drat subtitles I have ever read.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I won't believe it until it actually happens.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dexie posted:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t21wlzJV37U

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Oh man the English dub. I'll always fond memories of it, even if I think it is inferior to the original.

It's interesting how different it is. Spencer's Shinji really does feel like a more Americanized take on the character when compared to the quieter performance Ogata gave (Can't exactly imagine her Shinji saying "Bullshit!"). Grant's Asuka reverting back to German when she's angry or flustered or whatever was a nice touch too.

Otoh there's all the stuff like slap/gunshot change that obscures the show without really adding anything.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I just randomly googled that video and was kind of shocked that they didn't use the sound clip of Misato saying "What'd you say?!" I think it's in that episode when unit 01 eats the angel?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Just saw 3.33. I have to say, I really enjoyed it more than I thought I would have. I really like the direction they have taken this new series. My only complaint is that it didn't really feel "whole", as in it needed more content before I would be satisfied of calling it a full episode to the film series. Also I couldn't really understand what was going on during the fights. The CG looked pretty lovely most of the time too, but it does shine in some areas.

That said I have some questions:

What is "Lillin"?
Why were the two spears on item different than before?
Why are their two EVA-01 cores? There is one that is in the ship Wunder and the other one that Shinji is shown by his partner in which is being protected by Ayanami.

I realize a lot of these things are important plot points, but the film doesn't really explain much in a clean and clear fashion.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

punk rebel ecks posted:

What is "Lillin"?
Lilim are the spawn of Lilith, aka humanity.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Eva 3.33 release date set for February 2, 2016.

But still,

Dexie posted:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I better get my drat preorder bonus booklet thing still god dammit.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Why do they use 14 year old children as pilots and not experienced war-hardened adults?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why do they use 14 year old children as pilots and not experienced war-hardened adults?

only people born after second impact can control the Evangelion. It's not explained why but I'm gonna guess it's all the tang in the Antarctic ocean

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The dead mum's souls inside the EVA's don't like it when anyone other than their kids pilot them

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Posting because apparently my last post got sucked into a Sea of Dirac

E: there it is

Stairmaster posted:

only people born after second impact can control the Evangelion. It's not explained why but I'm gonna guess it's all the tang in the Antarctic ocean

Way to toe the NERV party line :rolleyes:

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Oct 12, 2015

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
There's a ton of canon info that's only found in some weird game they made, such as references to the black and white eggs and where they came from.

They really should have included that stuff in the platinum edition. It's like instead of showing who Luke Skywalker's father is in the film, they showed it in some weird unknown extended universe game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Those references come from a game that is dubious canon at best though, if something was left vague in the series it's because it was supposed to be like that, not because you hadn't played an N64 game that Anno probably had nothing to do with.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

Those references come from a game that is dubious canon at best though

Calling it "dubious" is giving it too much credit IMO. If it's not in the show, it's not in the show and therefore doesn't matter much.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Sakurazuka posted:

Those references come from a game that is dubious canon at best though, if something was left vague in the series it's because it was supposed to be like that, not because you hadn't played an N64 game that Anno probably had nothing to do with.

Wasn't it a PSP pinball game or something?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

The dead mum's souls inside the EVA's don't like it when anyone other than their kids pilot them

Stairmaster posted:

Who is right? :(

Also dead moms...what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Each EVA Unit is made with a heap of flesh from the monster on the cross in NERV's basement, somebody's soul infused with that flesh, and then restrictive armor and other technology to control the whole shebang.

Basically each EVA is a conscious, living organism, and they can only be controlled by someone they really cared about. Like their own children. NERV essentially killed the mothers of a bunch of kids to potentially turn them into more EVA Units.