Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
What are my options for using a phone overseas?

I figure I can just get a cheapy prepaid once I'm there but is just getting a sim for my phone an option?

I have a 2014 moto x. But I have no idea what frequencies it uses let alone what the standard is in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Demon_Corsair posted:

What are my options for using a phone overseas?

I figure I can just get a cheapy prepaid once I'm there but is just getting a sim for my phone an option?

I have a 2014 moto x. But I have no idea what frequencies it uses let alone what the standard is in the UK.

If you have it unlocked you can use it over there. Someone I know used their 2014 X while there a few months ago. I'm not sure how the unlock procedure works with those cause they had the pure edition from the U.S. Ask Telus I guess.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Aphrodite posted:

Where are you seeing prices for the Pro?

They took it down - I swear they had pricing up.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Pretty cool how the new iFucking poo poo garbage is already on bell.ca but no mention of the Z5 even though they went out of their way to make them bell exclusives. Yes yes I know the sales don't compare but gently caress bell anyway

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Got that Koodomobile SK plan, was pretty easy to do. I can't believe how hard the telcos gently caress Ontario consumers, the lovely plan they had me on before I changed it was like $30 a month and only came with 100mb of data. To get nearly the same thing as the SK plan was more than $100 a month here.

I was pretty happy with Wind out here in the Niagara region, its mostly flat land so the signal was rarely an issue when you're just walking around or whatever. Unfortunately the second you go anywhere in doors it drops down to crap and the latency was always pretty bad. It wouldn't even work in my grocery store, let alone a mall or hospital. With Koodo having LTE is really nice, just even simple web page loads feel more like I'm at home on my cable connection. With Wind the latency was so bad it would be like 5+ seconds before the page even started to load after sending the initial request.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The Gunslinger posted:

Got that Koodomobile SK plan, was pretty easy to do.

How easy? I guess you cant keep your number, can you

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

codo27 posted:

You can. Get an sk mb number then transfer your number online.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

codo27 posted:

Walked into a Koodo store, got the cheapest plan possible. Just asked for a SIM card/plan with an Ontario #, they're all wise to the SK stuff now so its pointless trying it anywhere except for Bestbuy or something. Don't put the Koodo SIM card in until you port your other phone number over at the end. Went home, used the email invite they send to sign up for self-serve, switched the weird number they gave me to an SK # and then changed my plan to the SK plan. Waited til the end of my billing cycle. The system will show you can only change your number every 90 days but it really just means until your new billing cycle. I then ported my existing # from Wind over, done. I might get double billed for one month but it should correct itself next month and its a small price to pay for much better service even if it doesn't.

If you can get Bestbuy or someone to give you an SK # with Koodo at the beginning then you can just pick the SK plan on self-serve and port right away, ignore the rest of that. There are step by step instructions on Howardforums and google.

If they ever catch on to this or try to change the plan I can just move back to Wind, no harm no foul. Unlocked phones are the best. They will probably close this loophole soon since the CBC article and other media have picked up on it, I wanted to make sure I got in before that happened.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 10, 2015

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I'm going to be getting an unlocked 6S shortly and handing my unlocked 5S over to my wife. She has a really nice Government Corporate voice plan (~4 years old) with a 100MB data add-on for her current 4S with Rogers.

Is there any reason why her current plan would be incompatible with the 5S? When I switched from 4S->5S on Bell 2 years ago, my 2 year old plan was compatible then...

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Nah, if it's unlocked it'll work on Robelus.

I'm gonna grab an unlocked 6S outright myself. My 5 is unlocked, originally purchased through Rogers, works on Koodo just fine, etc. The only thing you have to worry about is AWS (Wind), but I'm pretty sure all modern iPhones support AWS too, so... nothing to worry about.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

God drat it. I'm already a koodo customer but I guess that's not a big deal. I really want to upgrade from this friggin 2gb of data, and to save money in the process would be awesome. I think I might have to try it

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Pivo posted:

Nah, if it's unlocked it'll work on Robelus.

I'm gonna grab an unlocked 6S outright myself. My 5 is unlocked, originally purchased through Rogers, works on Koodo just fine, etc. The only thing you have to worry about is AWS (Wind), but I'm pretty sure all modern iPhones support AWS too, so... nothing to worry about.
Thanks for the answer. I guess I'm just overly paranoid from the days of moving from BB -> iPhone where the plans took a huge jump in price.

Also making me leery is where Bell advertises LITE vs. PLUS plans and I cannot really see a principled difference between the two. A 5C is LITE but a 5S is PLUS? Uhh... ok?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The difference is simply phone cost.

A subsidized 5C allows you to choose a slightly cheaper Lite plan. A subsidized 5S requires you to purchase a Plus plan.

The 5C is a cheaper phone than the 5S, so Bell doesn't need to bleed you as much through your monthly bill.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

The difference is simply phone cost.

A subsidized 5C allows you to choose a slightly cheaper Lite plan. A subsidized 5S requires you to purchase a Plus plan.

The 5C is a cheaper phone than the 5S, so Bell doesn't need to bleed you as much through your monthly bill.
Ah, yeah, it makes more sense when you put it that way.

The website indicated that Plus are the newest phones and that threw me off- because the 5C and 5S are contemporaneous. It's just that the newest phones largely tend to be the more expensive ones, with examples like the 5C being exceptions.

Taking degrees of newness out of the picture makes a lot more sense.

Also didn't glom to the fact that Plus/Lite only matter in the context of subsidies. I guess if you're BYOD it probably won't matter at all.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Your wife will have to get a new SIM card, since the 5S uses a nano and the 4S used a micro. That's no big deal though, it won't affect the plan or anything. You just walk into any Bell store and ask for one. Sometimes they charge $5 or $10, sometimes they give it for free.

Also keep in mind BYOD pricing only becomes available when your phone is considered paid off.

Like if you got your 5S subsidized in November of 2013, you can only switch then even if you get a new unlocked phone before that.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Your wife will have to get a new SIM card, since the 5S uses a nano and the 4S used a micro. That's no big deal though, it won't affect the plan or anything. You just walk into any Bell store and ask for one. Sometimes they charge $5 or $10, sometimes they give it for free.

Also keep in mind BYOD pricing only becomes available when your phone is considered paid off.

Like if you got your 5S subsidized in November of 2013, you can only switch then even if you get a new unlocked phone before that.
Again thanks for the follow up.

I was aware of the need for a new SIM; I had to make the jump from Bell-locked 4S -> unlocked 5S myself 2 years ago and that was relatively painlessly handled with a SIM card purchase and an activation phone call at home. I'm sure the process is relatively similar for Rogers, at least with an unlocked device.

I think we're ok on BYOD pricing. My 3-year 4S contract would have ended in fall 2014, a year after I made the leap to the unlocked 5S. Her 4S contract would have ended either late 2014 or early 2015.

For now we're keeping her account separate on Rogers but in time we may just bring her over to Bell and switch to a shared plan with 2 BYODs and 2GB data and pay approximately the same as we collectively do now ($113/month all in) with no real loss in features and some mild improvements. I currently have 2GB/month and she has 150MB a month and she hits that wall more often than not.

I think the pricing improved somewhat recently in some because I remember previously looking at this shared option this year and it was basically pointless for us to switch.

Thanks for the help, I'm admittedly a little skittish about the whole ordeal because this upcoming 6S will only be the 4th phone I've ever had, and I only do this whole rigmarole every other year at most.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A SIM change with Rogers can be done entirely on their website now.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Nice. Thanks for the tip.

e: Looked up a video on Youtube, answered my own question. Not the same process if you're not going micro to nano SIM. I guess it's just plug-and-play going from nano SIM device to nano SIM device.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 11, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You probably won't have to change your SIM. You just stick it in the new phone and it works immediately.

Apple's site doesn't say yet, but I don't think they've come up with any new format since nano so they must still be using it.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

It is just plug and play. New phone is going to be nano, I'm 99.99% sure of that. If it's unlocked, it just works. If you have a micro, you can cut it down with scissors, literally. But your provider will likely be able to give you a SIM for free or for cheap.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Have a Galaxy Note 4 through my office on Rogers. Gonna try to convince them to give my phone to one of the new employees starting in October so that I can get the Galaxy Note Edge 5.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Have a Galaxy Note 4 through my office on Rogers. Gonna try to convince them to give my phone to one of the new employees starting in October so that I can get the Galaxy Note Edge 5.
It's okay to prank the new guy, and give him all the bitch-work, but what you're suggesting here is borderline criminal. Have you no soul?

plotskee
Mar 10, 2010

Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away. For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land.
Finally off contract with Telus. I was going to go with a monthly plan with someone, was looking at Koodoo so I don't have to unlock the phone. I'm going to be travelling for 6 months or so though and would rather not pay Koodoo's 'account suspension' fee of $15 per month to keep my number. Is there a carrier that would let me suspend service for cheaper, or some other way of hanging on to the number?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

plotskee posted:

Finally off contract with Telus. I was going to go with a monthly plan with someone, was looking at Koodoo so I don't have to unlock the phone. I'm going to be travelling for 6 months or so though and would rather not pay Koodoo's 'account suspension' fee of $15 per month to keep my number. Is there a carrier that would let me suspend service for cheaper, or some other way of hanging on to the number?

If you port to 7-11 SpeakOut, $25 will hold the account for 365 days.

plotskee
Mar 10, 2010

Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away. For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land.

less than three posted:

If you port to 7-11 SpeakOut, $25 will hold the account for 365 days.

Brilliant thanks!

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Just don't put the pen in backwards, since it gets stuck and breaks all the phone software checking the pen status even if you get it out.

Yay design!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So gone are the days of a $199 16GB entry level phone, eh?

Rogers has pricing up: 6S 16GB : $398 || 6S 64GB $528

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
Went to my parents and saw a Rogers corporate plan sheet that they brought home. Insane plan if you asked me.

$40 gets you:

Unlimited local call
500mb data
500mb 1gb add $5
1gb to unlimited add $10

So for $50 I can get unlimited data.

Currently with Koodo but I think I may have to port my number to Rogers.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

6s 64GB + Lightning dock = $1,229.44 after tax.

Consider yourself lucky.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

So gone are the days of a $199 16GB entry level phone, eh?

Rogers has pricing up: 6S 16GB : $398 || 6S 64GB $528
Yikes. Makes me feel better about paying the unlocked price for the 64 Success, I guess.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pivo posted:

6s 64GB + Lightning dock = $1,229.44 after tax.

Consider yourself lucky.

Why would anyone get this :psyduck:

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
A coworker sent me his order confirmation for a 128GB 6s last night. $1309.67. He bought a 128GB 6 last year.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Why would anyone get this :psyduck:

Why not? I can afford it. My phone is 3 years old at this point. If this one lasts 3 years too, it's only about 400 bucks a year. And then if I take good care of it, at the end of those 3 years, I will be able to sell it for a considerable amount of money, not to mention discount right now whatever I can sell my iPhone 5 for.

Why buy outright instead of getting a subsidy? I don't like contracts.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pivo posted:

Why not? I can afford it. My phone is 3 years old at this point. If this one lasts 3 years too, it's only about 400 bucks a year. And then if I take good care of it, at the end of those 3 years, I will be able to sell it for a considerable amount of money, not to mention discount right now whatever I can sell my iPhone 5 for.

Why buy outright instead of getting a subsidy? I don't like contracts.

Because other phones are a fraction of the cost and significantly better. And lol if you think that a phone will still be worth anything after 3 years.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Because other phones are a fraction of the cost and significantly better. And lol if you think that a phone will still be worth anything after 3 years.

Truly I am sorry that what I choose to spend my money on makes you so unhappy.

Unfortunately you should look at what 3 year old iPhones are going for on eBay if you think they don't retain value, you would be surprised. My unlocked iPhone 5 64GB would probably go for 250-300.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pivo posted:

Truly I am sorry that what I choose to spend my money on makes you so unhappy.

Unfortunately you should look at what 3 year old iPhones are going for on eBay if you think they don't retain value, you would be surprised. My unlocked iPhone 5 64GB would probably go for 250-300.

Well, I'm not unhappy, but you can choose to interpret it that way. I'm simply pointing out that you're a complete idiot for blowing $1200+ on a loving cell phone.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Well, I'm not unhappy, but you can choose to interpret it that way. I'm simply pointing out that you're a complete idiot for blowing $1200+ on a loving cell phone.

The Samsung flagship, the S6 Edge, is $939 off-contract @ 64GB. Add $50 worth of accessories like I did and HST and it's nearly the same price.

'loving [flagship] cell phones' are expensive.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pivo posted:

The Samsung flagship, the S6 Edge, is $939 off-contract @ 64GB. Add $50 worth of accessories like I did and HST and it's nearly the same price.

'loving [flagship] cell phones' are expensive.

If you bought that for $939+tax I'd call you an idiot too. It's not an Apple thing and I have no idea why you'd think that. Anyone spending that much on a cell phone needs to have their head examined.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

CLAM DOWN posted:

If you bought that for $939+tax I'd call you an idiot too. It's not an Apple thing and I have no idea why you'd think that. Anyone spending that much on a cell phone needs to have their head examined.

You keep saying "cell phone" but for many people this is their primary computer that they spend hours a day on. You're free to not value flagship phones, but for a lot of people what the price delta buys you is absolutely worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lexicon posted:

You keep saying "cell phone" but for many people this is their primary computer that they spend hours a day on. You're free to not value flagship phones, but for a lot of people what the price delta buys you is absolutely worth it.

Again, I do value that it's people's primary computer, it is for me too. That's why I said you can buy one that is just as good, if not arguably better, for a much lower price.