Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
At a certain point dude, you have to delve deeper than "You push a button!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Hmm, yes I'm sure that's a totally real value that will definitely last.

Agree, the tech bubble burst 2.0 can't happen soon enough. Every lovely app is not worth a billion ++

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I wish they had left the heckler in, supposedly Colbert handled it well and it would have made this interview at least slightly entertaining

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Parasol Prophet posted:

At a certain point dude, you have to delve deeper than "You push a button!"

Not if you go bankrupt first

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I wish they had left the heckler in, supposedly Colbert handled it well and it would have made this interview at least slightly entertaining

I loved it, I was giggling at Colbert politely mocking him the whole time.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Episode still A+ on the strength of that Biden interview.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Brought to you by sweeping shots of the audience!

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

I can only imagine finding an Uber cab, seeing what food options they have, and it's something really lame like a tuna melt or a half eaten BLT. And both sandwiches have been sitting in that car for hours.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

berserker posted:

The giant furry hat was really reminiscent of Carnac the Magnificent.

It felt like half Carnac, half "In the Year 2000". It was great.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
Is this Margaritaville?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Oby Keith.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Winkie01 posted:

Uber is Valued at 50 billion :lol:

That number is pure fantasy.

Still a good episode if only for Uncle Joe. And lord, do I hate hate this country music.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Toby keith innovating the radical new genre of jimmy buffet nashville.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I loved it, I was giggling at Colbert politely mocking him the whole time.

Were you there?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Michael Scott posted:

Were you there?

No?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Having the show band plus he guest band together at once puts a lot of people on stage. Weirdly making me want to see Pentatonix guest. (Following an interview with Anna Kendrick)

E; Thanks for the recommendation boss, and I might have considered sticking around if ET didn't immediately follow you

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 11, 2015

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Oh, I thought you meant mocking the heckler. Nevermind!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I've come to an uncomfortable conclusion: Colbert left improv behind a long time ago, and he comes across as very scripted as a result of all these years on Comedy Central. Jimmy Fallon, though no means the best SNL member during his time there, has worked quite a while in loosely formed improv shows where going off the script is okay. And Conan loving revels in having off-the-script moments with Andy and his guests.

They need to get rid of this poo poo:

See those graphics on the side? They're a holdover of The Daily Show and the Report, which put them in because for a long time in the 80s and 90s news channels (especially local news and the old CNN Headline News format) used to put these sorts of graphics up adjacent to the host's head.

The problem with this in a comedy bit is that it informs the viewer that they're watching something scripted. Having a whole package of graphics going by at the edge of the screen means the production crew was prepared for what the comedian was going to say. And a late night variety show, as opposed to the "fake news" format Comedy Central made, has to at least feel unscripted even when it really is.

For a long time, Letterman had a routine where his cue card guy was a recurring character like Biff Henderson, and if you looked at his cue cards you saw they had setups and talking points but that was about it. While he had scripted bits like Top 10 and Paul Newman stepping out of the crowd and asking where the hell the singing cats are, there was also a lot of stuff like his rapport with his audience, the stupid human tricks people, the kids doing science, that was just totally off the cuff. Improv'ing through his scripted bits is what made Conan so good for many years, and it's what made Craig Ferguson's Late Late Show work as his banter was often funnier than his scripted sequences. Even James Corden has shown a bit of an ability to be funny when freewheeling it.

I get the feeling that Colbert is really uncomfortable at improv'ing off the approved script. Maybe that'll change in time.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 11, 2015

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I don't agree with that at all.

Nightly News programs still do the graphic over the shoulder bits, and I love the idea of having well-crafted comedy bits with intention and great jokes instead of boring poo poo like "Pros & Cons" when you can see the crap coming from a mile away. Improv and off-script moments are great, and I'm sure Colbert will have more in time.

If anything, he's trying to do too much improv during interviews, which leads to the talking over guests sometimes. Also, the biggest trouble for me is that he was a walking bag of sarcasm for 9 years, so it's really hard to take him seriously when he's being earnest. He still always sounds sarcastic to me.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Craptacular! posted:

I've come to an uncomfortable conclusion: Colbert left improv behind a long time ago, and he comes across as very scripted as a result of all these years on Comedy Central. Jimmy Fallon, though no means the best SNL member during his time there, has worked quite a while in loosely formed improv shows where going off the script is okay. And Conan loving revels in having off-the-script moments with Andy and his guests.

See those graphics on the side? They're a holdover of The Daily Show and the Report, which put them in because for a long time in the 80s and 90s news channels (especially local news and the old CNN Headline News format) used to put these sorts of graphics up adjacent to the host's head.

The problem with this in a comedy bit is that it informs the viewer that they're watching something scripted. Having a whole package of graphics going by at the edge of the screen means the production crew was prepared for what the comedian was going to say. And a late night variety show, as opposed to the "fake news" format Comedy Central made, has to at least feel unscripted even when it really is.

For a long time, Letterman had a routine where his cue card guy was a recurring character like Biff Henderson, and if you looked at his cue cards you saw they had setups and talking points but that was about it. While he had scripted bits like Top 10 and Paul Newman stepping out of the crowd and asking where the hell the singing cats are, there was also a lot of stuff like his rapport with his audience, the stupid human tricks people, the kids doing science, that was just totally off the cuff. Improv'ing through his scripted bits is what made Conan so good for many years, and it's what made Craig Ferguson's Late Late Show work as his banter was often funnier than his scripted sequences. Even James Corden has shown a bit of an ability to be funny when freewheeling it.

I get the feeling that Colbert is really uncomfortable at improv'ing off the approved script. Maybe that'll change in time.

He's already admitted he's still playing a character - instead of being a Narcissist Conservative Pundit, he's now just a Narcissist

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The idea that Colbert has lost his improv chops is completely insane.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Steve Vader posted:

Nightly News programs still do the graphic over the shoulder bits, and I love the idea of having well-crafted comedy bits with intention and great jokes instead of boring poo poo like "Pros & Cons" when you can see the crap coming from a mile away. Improv and off-script moments are great, and I'm sure Colbert will have more in time.

Yeah, I was thinking about that. I'd say most news shows have either a big TV screen behind the host (think of the Maddow Show) or a bottom third chyron with a segment title (ESPN, CNBC, Fox News). TDS uses a mix of over the shoulder or bottom-thirds both depending on what the production crew is feeling that day.

It's probable that this show is aiming a little younger than I am (old enough to remember Carson, even if he was on his last legs at that point and should have retired years prior like Dave), aiming for an audience who know were born about the of the first late night war, and matured during the Stewart era of TDS. Those people are likely happier to reject the old variety show formula for one that feels like the TDS hour on steroids.

The good news is that his interviews are pretty good and he's showing some creative choices in guests. I just spend the first part of the show wishing I could see the alternate timeline where they gave Craig the nod instead of a bunch of money to leave. (He definitely brought it on himself by saying he wasn't interested in the job for several years, though.)

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 11, 2015

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

We're 3 episodes into Colbert's new show. There's clearly some Report/Daily Show DNA in there and who knows if that will stick, but the show is awkward in the way new shows will be awkward. Colbert had no problem running off script on the Report and I doubt things have changed for CBS.

e: Just look at what colbert did to Jon in his Daily Show sendoff. He cornered the man and forced him to listen to an off-script thank you speech.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Craig would have to have WANTED that nod in that alternate timeline.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

One of the best interviews I've seen on late night tv. Up there with Dan Rather after 9/11 and Warren Zevon.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
So far I'm not a big fan of Colbert's new show. Colbert is doing a great job, but late night shows were never a format I enjoyed. Not Letterman, not Leno, not Fergusson...I was really hoping that Stephen getting that job would change something in the way I view these types of show. Thought he would make it entertaining enough but nop... I'm still gonna watch it for a while to give him the benefit of the doubt, but in the end I think his switch from The Colbert Report to a Late night show format killed it for me.

And that makes me sad.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I don't fully understand why they want to have politicians as frequent guests when the show format basically requires him to be apolitical.

I loved the Colbert Report for it's hilarious and sharp satire. This is just comedy for comedy's sake, and I'm not sure how long that can hold my interest. I want to see him tear apart scummy politics, but you can't do that AND be even-handed about it because we all know one side gets it way more wrong way more often.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Bass Bottles posted:

I don't fully understand why they want to have politicians as frequent guests when the show format basically requires him to be apolitical.

I loved the Colbert Report for it's hilarious and sharp satire. This is just comedy for comedy's sake, and I'm not sure how long that can hold my interest. I want to see him tear apart scummy politics, but you can't do that AND be even-handed about it because we all know one side gets it way more wrong way more often.

Because politicians are in the news right now for that stuff that's going to start taking place in 5 months that will eventually lead to that bigger thing that happens in a little over a year.

Also uh, he's very clearly not going at it apolitically. Sure, he's not acting like The Colbert Report Stephen Colbert, but uh, duh?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So, I'm west coast, and after seeing tonight's episode I have to sort of take back some of what I said earlier tonight. That Biden interview was powerful stuff.

Bass Bottles posted:

You don't have to be apolitical to succeed at the job.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

"What's the use of being Irish if you don't know life is going to break your heart"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opVaEC_WxWs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwmMPytjrK4

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Sep 11, 2015

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

also here's some of the upcoming guests for Colbert

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Mr Jaunts posted:

God, the first words out of this guy's mouth and already I don't like him.

He even looked like a smug, mouth-breathing douchebag immediately, the moment he stepped out on the stage. Very Hannityesque.

EDIT: I also want to add to the chorus saying that Biden interview was incredible. How often has anything that serious, honest, and heartfelt happened on a late night talk show, since 9/11? The only examples I can think of are Jon Stewart's comments on the Charleston Church Shooting, and Conan's farewell speech on losing The Tonight Show.

It may not be what people were expecting, but it definitely should prove to anyone who was uneasy about it that Colbert can indeed innovate the format after all.

Deep Hurting fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Sep 11, 2015

dead in real life
Jun 17, 2012

Youth Decay posted:

Biden is the least politiciany-politician I've ever seen.

So true and I love him for it. Most genuine display I've ever seen from any politician in anything ever. Seems like a truly great guy.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Deep Hurting posted:

He even looked like a smug, mouth-breathing douchebag immediately, the moment he stepped out on the stage. Very Hannityesque.

EDIT: I also want to add to the chorus saying that Biden interview was incredible. How often has anything that serious, honest, and heartfelt happened on a late night talk show, since 9/11? The only examples I can think of are Jon Stewart's comments on the Charleston Church Shooting, and Conan's farewell speech on losing The Tonight Show.

It may not be what people were expecting, but it definitely should prove to anyone who was uneasy about it that Colbert can indeed innovate the format after all.

Watch some moments of Craig's Late Late Show. He had things like eulogizing his mom, and his dad, talking about his alcoholism and why he won't make fun of Britney Spears, and his interview with Bishop Desmond Tutu, which got him a Peabody award. The Biden interview was fantastic, I think it was two guys who really connected with each other on a number of levels having a very honest conversation, but it's not the first time this has happened on a CBS late night show. Colbert and Craig have more honesty in them than Leno and Letterman, and even Carson or Conan did/do. Fallon and Meyers are very honest, but they're also really surface level, much more happy to trade cute silly stories rather than have discussions or dig in a little, which I chalk up to NBC not ever letting them get serious. Corden i dunno

Dr. Citan Uzuki
Jan 26, 2006

I would never tell you anything that wasn't absolutely true that hadn't come right from His mouth and He wants me to tell you

Craptacular! posted:

How does it feel to be so wrong about everything? Fitting username

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Alright, time to watch the Colbert Show before work to pep me up for the da-

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

"What's the use of being Irish if you don't know life is going to break your heart"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opVaEC_WxWs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwmMPytjrK4

:smith: I want to go crawl back into bed and never leave.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
How do they make Colbert's NYC title shots look like models and reality at the same time?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

PowerBuilder3 posted:

How do they make Colbert's NYC title shots look like models and reality at the same time?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilt%E2%80%93shift_photography

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

I haven't watched since the first night. Did he do this format on the 2nd and 3rd shows? I assumed the post-monologue, pre-interview slot would be a rotating bit like every other show, and that this was just one of the bits they would come back to every so often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

drat, Joe Biden rules.