Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

pupdive posted:

Here's something to know:

Almost everyone has ankle pain starting out, because they tend to slap the surface on surface swims, and they tend to spend too much time at the surface which makes it all more difficult. Instructors don't help things by wasting class time at the surface, and not teaching how to properly swim at the surface. Diving is about diving, not splashing about at the surface, whether it is with scuba or free diving, and the goal is to never really be at the surface. If you must move at the surface on scuba, roll over on your back so that you can develop some thrust with a full stride kick, and keep track of the boats around you. But really, don't be at the surface.

New divers also tend to wiggle their toes with their ankles, rather than use the big muscles of the legs to bend the fins to provide propulsion.

The best way to think about fins is that they are big stabilizing wings that keep left/right and front/back pitch and yaw from happening for the most part. WIth a slight dash of fin bending sometimes to move forward

When you see truly comfortable skilled divers in the water it seems like they are simply not even moving their bodies, and yet gliding forward. This is because perfect trim means that the huge amount of momentum that a 100-200 pound body has is what keeps the diver moving forward, not whaling about with the ankles.

If you ever get a chance to swim near a manta or a shark, you will see just little energy they are expending while they outrun any diver they want to.

I would never say the old ways of teaching scuba, where one had to master free-diving first before breathing underwater , are best. But the grace of breath-holding free-divers, who have to be as still as possible to not use up the oxygen in a single breath while diving to to 100 ft for five minutes is a goal to shoot for.

I stress all this because split fins are easier on the ankles, and so many new divers get them instead of learning how to properly behave in the water.

I have used split fins when I was doing distance training in the water that was too shallow to free dive in, so they have their place in the water. But they are often used as a band-aid approach to (as the GUE people say) solve a training issue with equipment. I simply hated how little stability and power they provided when I was actually underwater.

Frankly part of the problem is PADI and other lessons teaching the scissor kick, which is IMO really inferior to the frog kick. You kick up sand, you're much longer so not good in small spaces, and you have a lot less control. Once one of my instructors insisted I frog kick, I noticed my control got a lot better and I was a lot more efficient with my swimming.

For any kind of photography or underwater work, the frog kick is pretty much a necessity, I don't know why students are taught poor techniques to start with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Barnsy posted:

Frankly part of the problem is PADI and other lessons teaching the scissor kick, which is IMO really inferior to the frog kick. You kick up sand, you're much longer so not good in small spaces, and you have a lot less control. Once one of my instructors insisted I frog kick, I noticed my control got a lot better and I was a lot more efficient with my swimming.

For any kind of photography or underwater work, the frog kick is pretty much a necessity, I don't know why students are taught poor techniques to start with.

At the surface, face down the ankles just get worked with the flutter kick because of fin slap and the inability to complete a kick. But then again a proper frog kick is not possible on the surface in trim. Basically the surface sucks unless the divers on their back.

But you are not properly separating the scissor kick from the flutter kick. The flutter is the right left up down that people do without any instruction, that we instructors want every diver to move away from as soon as possible because it is unstable left/right, and it has no glide portion, which leave divers in a constant wiggle that tends to propagate into their whole underwater behavior.

The flutter has nothing to do with PADI, or any training agency**. It's just what divers tend to do without training. But no point does any instructor (skipping GUE for the moment) require a certain kick. It's our job as instructors to model better behavior and show the usefulness of kick and glide, and back kicking, and helicoptering, etc. and none of that can be built on top of the flutter.

For instance, I won't let a Divemaster (on another instructor) come with me who uses a flutter kick to swim, because it's our job as professionals to model good dive behavior. Almost all of a 'bad divers' behavior can be traced back to using the flutter as a base kick. There are a very graceful divers out there using a flutter kick, but not many because it makes everything hard to fix.

But students can do what they want. They don't have to be able frog kick. They also don't have to be able to swim backwards. Or be able to helicopter. Or be able use a frog kick to stop forward motion. I model all of it, but I cannot require any particular way doing things. When the students start asking what makes us Instructors and DMs so natural in the water, however, the first thing I will say is "stop flutter kicking".

The scissor is a kick and glide kick that is pretty much the most efficient overall kick for tank wearing divers , because the return to streamline of the glide portion, having a glide portion in the first place, and the lack of motion of the core.

And the scissor is efficient because unlike the frog kick, the knees never bend into the flow of water past the body like they do with a frog kick. I even model how to use the frog position to stop forward momentum. No kick that can be used to stop momentum like the frog kick will ever be ideal for forward swimming, for just that reason.

Of course, the most efficient kick over all metabolically is still the flutter in the right fins, but the fins that make it work that way are generally horrible for the rest of diving.

I think focusing on the frog kick in terms of propulsion is a bad idea since it is relatively inefficient and just not useful in certain conditions. It's a great teaching tool. It's the foundational step for most learners for helicopters and back kicks and such, and it is useful as a pose for stationary things like photography. But in and of itself, and as a kick,a frog kick is not as efficient for general forward propulsion as the flutter and the scissor, and there are times when conditions make it a bad choice. And their are conditions where the frog kick is the only one to use.

I tend to move to dolphin kicks when I have to move fast, because I came from free-diving, but there is a fair amount of wasted effort with the dolphin when the diver has a tank on their back. And I never want divers to see and instructor using a flutter kick.

(Too much thinking bout kicks maybe, but in no sense is it just frog=good flutter=bad.)

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

sofullofhate posted:

Um. Considering that any nitrox mixture greater than 30% has a PPO2 of > 1.4 at 110 fsw - it might not have been the nitrogen. Ed: n.b. also nitrox has by its nature less nitrogen in it than air, so nitrogen narcosis would tend to present at a greater depth than oxygen toxicity on most mixtures. YMMV of course. :)

I concur about being careful with decongestants, of course. FWIW I have also been diving on them with no ill effects aside from feeling a little speedy after a three-tank day. :catdrugs:

If I remember right oxygen may actually be slightly more narcotic than air. I remember seeing some gas permeability numbers that showed N2 and O2 being close, but with O2 being slightly worse.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
agreed with scissor kick vs flutter. There's basically no reason to flutter kick except at the surface on your back or if you need a burst of speed at the expense of air for some reason (current, catching up with your buddy, etc). Frog kick works too, but it's much less efficient because when you're loading it, you are working against yourself and the fins are outside of your body's wake or slip stream or whichever term your prefer. The modified frog kick where your fins are above you can work and some people seem to love it, but I've found it awkward and only see it as useful when I'm close to something and can't do a scissor.

For the equalizing question earlier (on my phone, sorry), the best answer was a few posts after the question - equalize before you think you have to and you'll be amazed at how easy it actually is. Equalizing when you feel the pressure can and will work, but it's much more difficult.

let it mellow fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 6, 2015

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

DeadlyMuffin posted:

If I remember right oxygen may actually be slightly more narcotic than air. I remember seeing some gas permeability numbers that showed N2 and O2 being close, but with O2 being slightly worse.

The idea that Oxygen is narcotic was a misreading of a cutting edge research paper by PADI/DSAT when it was putting together its TecRec course. No one who has done inside tender multi-place chamber work in would ever agree with that interpretation (I am one of those sorts of people), and no other agencies have ever held that called oxygen narcotic AFAIK, and DAN has basically said follow up research has shown the initial research to be superseded. Permeability in lipids (the myelin sheathing on neurons in particular) and not being a metabolite are both thought to be factors in narcosis, but like most dive science, nothing is completely decided.

Lots of pig brains/bodies have been opened to try and figure out some of these questions in hyperbaric medicine, but one big problem is that much "research" in humans is done by commercial diving operations who hold tight onto their info, for competitive and liability reasons.

Not harshing on PADI. They were just trying to make sure they were integrating cutting edge research when they were putting together their tech program. The problem with PADI (and the strength of PADI) is its worldwide market penetration. Once info is in a course, and the translated coursework gets approved by buy lawyers in every country bad info gets baked in.

The problem now is that the idea of Gas Narcosis, rather than Nitrogen Narcosis, has now trickled down into the new Open Water materials for PADI.

I love the fact that all of the PADI materials for all courses get translated out to the world reliably, but it does lead to significant institutional inertia. I am an instructor for other agencies precisely because PADI moves so slowly on some things. I was teaching Nitrox for two other agencies back when PADI was waiting on it. I am glad that I got the other instructor credentials for a number of reasons (never stop learning!), but have always made almost all of my income from my PADI instructor rating.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

pupdive posted:

The idea that Oxygen is narcotic was a misreading of a cutting edge research paper by PADI/DSAT when it was putting together its TecRec course. No one who has done inside tender multi-place chamber work in would ever agree with that interpretation (I am one of those sorts of people), and no other agencies have ever held that called oxygen narcotic AFAIK

I was told that in a GUE Fundamentals class. Do you have a reference I can point them to?

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
O2 being narcotic compared to n2 is a moot point because if you have a choice, the partial pressure of either of them is still low enough that your personal reaction matters more. I've gone pretty deep on air and it hasn't messed with me much, but better divers than me have to use a blend. Likewise, at depths where O2 narcosis come in to play toxicity is a bigger concern.

So unless you need the benefits of one mix over another, use whatever you react better to

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Bishop posted:

O2 being narcotic compared to n2 is a moot point because if you have a choice, the partial pressure of either of them is still low enough that your personal reaction matters more. I've gone pretty deep on air and it hasn't messed with me much, but better divers than me have to use a blend. Likewise, at depths where O2 narcosis come in to play toxicity is a bigger concern.

So unless you need the benefits of one mix over another, use whatever you react better to

Blend/air on rebreather? (you are rebreather man right?)

I really cannot hear enough about rebreathers. I cannot imagine ever having one, because of open circuit worth, but I still get all excited when I hear about them. The wife, she laughs at me.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I was told that in a GUE Fundamentals class. Do you have a reference I can point them to?

Rather than copy and pasting some earlier posts in this thread, read from this post forward about chamber dives at 2.8 PPO2 (Ean37 at 66m/218')

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3467420&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=82#post432315310

The funny thing is inside tenders had no idea they were doing A/B testing on O2 narcosis, because no one had yet saying Oxygen was narcotic, because divers were not misreading scientific papers. Tenders just take air breaks when the chamber driver says too. And they know that if there is stuff to get done, to not try and do it on the air break, because that stuff is not happening on air at 220ft. Fiddling with stuff means instant narcosis on air at 220ft/66m. WIth 37% Nitrox, and even while wearing the annoying aviator's mask, it is no problem.

As noted in that post 218'/66m on EAN37 for a ppO2 of 2.8 on the mask and 1.6 off. Or equivalent Nitrogen depth of 218'/66m off the mask, and 165 ft/50m on. Either way, it's the N2 is real, but at 220' it's disabling to suddenly go on air, and a huge relief to get back on the mask.

Back in the real world of diving o2 toxicity is the real issue there.

(The misleading statement about oxygen's narcotic effects reminds of when PADI was saying that the reason for the 130' recreationals limit was in part due to o2 toxicity effects, shortly before introducing both Nitrox 32 for 130'/40m dives and a tech program that include deep air training to 165'/50m.

O! PADI, you crazy bastards you! Always lying about science to reduce liability. It's really only a problem when divers internalize as fact, the misrepresentations PADI makes about the science for liability reasons. Thinking about hearing of the 'dangers' of Nitrox every PADI Course Director talked about until suddenly PADI had a product for them to sell.)

pupdive fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jul 8, 2015

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I believe you, but "a dude on a forum said so" isn't really what I was looking to pass on. I was hoping to find some sort of clear cut paper or scientific reference, but I'm not seeing one.

Wikipedia has a mention of oxygen narcosis with a couple of references (a paper from 1978 and the NOAA diving manual from 2002). There are a bunch of anecdotes to the contrary though, which makes me think that if it has a narcotic effect due to solubility it's counteracted somehow, or at the very least its narcotic effect is significantly less than N2. Not my field, so I can't really comment knowledgeably on mechanisms.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I believe you, but "a dude on a forum said so" isn't really what I was looking to pass on. I was hoping to find some sort of clear cut paper or scientific reference, but I'm not seeing one.

And you are not going to see one, because that's not how scientific papers work.

It might be difficult to to understand why outlying papers never get contradicted, even ones that are later seen to absolutely wrong, but that's the nature of publication in scientific journals. The quality of a publication is essentially voted on by the number of later papers that cite it. The papers that claim oxygen has a real world toxicity are not highly cited. Scientific papers (outside of outright proved scientific fraud) die those sorts of death. Once in a while someone tries to work with the ideas in the original publication gets no where, and the leave it alone. And the fact is that since all gases are narcotic in the scientific sense, the paper is just wrong about the measurement, not about the theory, because all gases are in fact narcotic

In this case, this paper was left alone because the multi-place deep chambers where some hyperbaric scientists actually working in the field, disproves the hypothesis on a daily basis. It is so matter-of-factly wrong, that there is no need for a scientist to write a paper about something every other hyperbaric medicine researcher doing deep table dives already knows to be true. It would be like trying get published saying that oxygen environment chambers are a fire hazard. It's not a matter of scientific dispute. The high O2 mix always goes through the aviator mask because oxygen is a fire hazard.. And the chamber drivers, and doctors, don't expect the inside tenders' actions make sense when the tender is off the mask at depth, because nitrogen is so obviously far more narcotic than oxygen.

Similarly, you are not going to be able to find a reference on Helium being non-narcotic either. Because all gases are narcotic, in the way that word is used by scientists. But it's a bad misreading of the literature by divers to call helium, or oxygen, narcotic.

So, of course, you will not find a reference stating Oxygen is non-narcotic. Or. for that matter, one calling helium non-narcotic. Does GUE treat HE as if it is non-narcotic? Of course they do. That's the rationale for switching to Trimix from 100'30m. All diving operations, outside of ones using hydrogen as a breathing gas, treat helium as non-narcotic. HPNS for HE, and O2 toxicity for O2, are dramatically more important factors. There are a ton of people who have A/B switched Helium, and know that it is dramatically less narcotic then nitrogen.

You'd be far better to ask why your instructor why, despite the clear fact that helium is narcotic, as written in scientific papers, GUE is promoting switching to a narcotic gas, (and more importantly an expensive narcotic gas) for deeper dives. That's a fruitful conversation to tale back to your GUE instructor.

In terms of 02, there are only people in chambers who have A/B switched O2 and N2, because of the O2 Tox issues. In the chambers, both the inside tenders, and the chamber drivers all know the facts. If for no other reason than everyone has donald duck voices at those depths, the chamber drivers really don't want inside divers talking at depth anyway, so there is not a whole lot of talking at depth. But when the drive or the doctor is sending in commands, they will not do those on air breaks, because nitrogen is clearly far more narcotic than oxygen. Before employment, all inside tenders have to do a check-out dive, to weed out those helpless from nitrogen narcosis at depth, and to weed out those especially susceptable to O2 Toxicity. The tox test is on the mask at 220 at 2.8ppo2, the narc test is on the chamber air at 220.

For people who do this for work, these are all just matter of fact facts.

So find a chamber where the tenders are on EAN37 at 218'/66m, because the chamber runs deep treatment tables, and ask the tenders there what the air breaks feel like. The civilian chambers currently make their money doing HBO Therapy sat dives nowadays (60'/18m 100%o2), since HBOT is longer classified by insurance companies as experimental treatments. So maybe you will have to find a commercial one, or a research chamber.

In the end, as Bishop notes, for almost all wet diving the point is moot, because of O2 toxicity reasons in diving. But for the people for whom it matters, mutiplace chambers running deep tables, it is most definitely not moot, and it is very much decided.

If you want to chase down the DAN conference where they tried to figure out why divers were starting to call oxygen narcotic, I think it was in 2006. But again, this would be a weird conversation to have from the scientists' perspective. Laymen make science mistakes misreading scientific papers all the time. Everyone involved in deep tables treatments already know the facts.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Got my trip booked for Cozumel in January with Blue Magic Scuba. Hope it's fun.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Trivia posted:

Practice daily and hopefully your tubes grow used to it. If you never clear your ears on the surface, then suddenly try underwater, they may get inflamed due to stress. Just my guess I'm no doctor.

The other thing is using a decongestant, but lots of ppl recommend against that for fear of a reverse block (I use decongestants just in case with no troubles).

edit: I also recommend constantly equalizing while descending, as opposed to doing it when you feel pressure. I often just exhale through my nose as I descend, which clears my mask and ears simultaneously.

Gindack posted:

I also dive on decongestants and have yet to have a problem, only thing I recommend is that you use a 12 hour Sudafed to make decrease the chance of it wearing off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw9UNcp9lxM is an interesting lecture on ears while diving and he goes over some things you can do to help clear your ears.

What kind of decongestants do you guys use? Is this something I can freely find in pharmacies or do I have to ask my doctor?
I'm from Europe by the way

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I use Zyrtec, which is my go-to anti-allergy med.

I think you can get it generic (cetirizine hydrochloride).

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Le0 posted:

What kind of decongestants do you guys use? Is this something I can freely find in pharmacies or do I have to ask my doctor?

The go to is Sudafed (not Sudafed PE). Pseudo-ephedrine Hydrochloride.

It used to be piled high next to the registers at all dive shops, and is often referred to by working divers as "Diver's Candy" because there are a bunch of people who do not go to work without taking some prohylactically. The standard advice is don't dive with a cold, but working people have to work. When responsible for diver's safety you equalization cannot be an issue,and the number of times we have to do the harder equalization methods of (jaw pop, wiggle swallow) instead of just a simple Valsalva is pretty often because both hands are full of cameras/lines/students/gear.

But then meth got popular, and the government decided in its infinite wisdom to make things difficult for law abiding citizens, and in may place Sudafed is not available, or it is sold behind the counter at pharmacies.

The price used to be $15.00 for a years supply. Now it is $10.00 for a week's supply.

Dive centers have the "does not really work nearly as well" Sudafed PE (or generic equivalent) for sale now.

A fair number of people also use Flonase (generic equivalent) but that is prescription.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

pupdive posted:

A fair number of people also use Flonase (generic equivalent) but that is prescription.

Not anymore! Completely OTC in the USA now; I just bought a five-pack at CostCo.

Holy poo poo, I didn't know this had a name! I figured this one out on my own many years ago on a plane trip, I thought I had invented it.

The valsalva is the only thing they taught me in my OW course.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Squashy Nipples posted:

Not anymore! Completely OTC in the USA now; I just bought a five-pack at CostCo.

Really?

I just had a doctor not renew my prescription for Flonase because she was worried about side-effects from the steroidal action!

Completely OTC? How much for the five pack at Costco?

Also

For people who want it, a 55 minute video on equalization. Like all scuba based talks, too long by 7/3, but has some good info. Including going through the 17 supposedly distinct ways to equalize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXx3S74XPhY

pupdive fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 22, 2015

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I lied, apparently I bought a three pack with a limited-time-only extra bottle for free.

https://www.costco.com/Flonase%AE-Allergy-Relief-Nasal-Spray-50-mcg.%2C-360-Spray-Count.product.100129709.html

Looks like three bottles for $53.49

And that's brand-name, too; my prescription used to cost $26 for ONE bottle of generic.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Squashy Nipples posted:

I lied, apparently I bought a three pack with a limited-time-only extra bottle for free.

https://www.costco.com/Flonase%AE-Allergy-Relief-Nasal-Spray-50-mcg.%2C-360-Spray-Count.product.100129709.html

Looks like three bottles for $53.49

And that's brand-name, too; my prescription used to cost $26 for ONE bottle of generic.

Thanks for the heads up! I got some Flonase today OTC. In talking to the pharmacist, the generic is still a ridiculous $65 for a single bottle (with a prescription) without insurance. But the brand name OTC is just $26.95 for a single bottle.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax
If you're going to take decongestants before diving make sure you are loading up on fluids. Dehydration is one of the leading causes of decompression sickness and decongestants can be a major contributing factor to that.

Gindack
Jan 30, 2010

Le0 posted:

On the really bad days I use Afrin on top of the sudafed, but I try to avoid it as much as possible.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Thanks for the info guys.
I notice that those things are actually used for allergy relief? Because it happens that I'm very badly allergic to pollen and I have a nasal spray for that called Cortinasal and my GF also has a thing called nasic.
Sadly I don't think it's the same thing because my Cortinasal things is Budesonide which is a glucocorticoid steroid (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budesonide) and the other thing is Xylometazoline hydrochloridum.

On wikipedia Xylometazoline is explicitly described as used as a topical nasal decongestant. Do you guys think I could use this thing for diving?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I've got an uneasy feeling about topical medicines while diving. I feel like there was a DAN study on exactly that and they found that the change in pressure from descending changed the absorption rate of the topical medicine across your skin, which led to a) having entirely too much medicine in your system at once and b) needing to reapply the medicine sooner than anticipated to keep the desired effect...which would be impossible underwater with a nasal spray, but not so much an issue with a pill (provided you took it close enough in time to where you actually needed it). I'll see if I can find the study that I think that info came from.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Any of you guys have any experience diving in Croatia, particularly Dubrovnik? Going for my honeymoon, and didn't know if there were any "Must see" spots, or if it's all just sorta "OK Stuff"

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

SgtScruffy posted:

Any of you guys have any experience diving in Croatia, particularly Dubrovnik? Going for my honeymoon, and didn't know if there were any "Must see" spots, or if it's all just sorta "OK Stuff"

Seconding this, as I'm going to Split soon for not-at-all a honeymoon.
:haw:

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Hey dive goons, its been a while. New job, new place (no water) so i've been out of the diving world for 18 months now. I'm visiting my folks up in boston and am gonna do a 2 tank dive next month for my first dives outside my apartment complex's pool (i was that guy, i loving miss diving) in 18 months. I'm renting a drysuit from them because gently caress 62 degree water. Anyone dove boston harbor before and have any info for me? I'm gonna ship most of my gear up and rent a suit/tanks for the dive. Its boston scuba, and the two sites are city of salisbury wreck and graves lighthouse.

Hell, I don't even know what wildlife is up there.

Crunkjuice fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 28, 2015

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Are you sure that it's still only 62? It's August, should be warming up by now.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012
Isn't it jellyfish season soon?

Remember when those East Coast guys talk about lobstering, they are talking about the one that get because they actually have front claws.

Also East Coast wreck divers are for real, so when they say don't miss the mooring line, they mean it. They are not pulling up to come get you.

Also the difference between hanging waiting for the boat when it's warm, and the water's warm, and trying to get the boat's attention when the cold is making you gradually lose control of coordination is the suck.

Also, have fun!

(I get diving in a pool completely. Teaching is rarely terrifying in the pool, and it can very often be in the ocean.)

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

pupdive posted:

Also East Coast wreck divers are for real, so when they say don't miss the mooring line, they mean it. They are not pulling up to come get you
mooring lines are for glorified snorkelers that won't jump in a half mile up current to hot drop 200 feet, hopefully hit the wreck, then launch a SMB and drift 7 miles on deco while the boat hopefully spots and follows your marker ;)

Bishop fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 1, 2015

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Anyone here ever done any diving around Molokai? We live an island over and are going to go visit for a little R&R, but we can't find much information on diving there aside from a single dive shop's website where they only advertise boat dives. Is shore diving even feasible?

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Not as productive as I should be
Any goons interested in diving Raja Ampat & Halmahera in March 2016? Missing a handful of spots on our 32 person (two boat) roster.

You will need to be able to get to Jakarta airport by 21:30 (local time) Thursday, 3rd March 2016.

Departure from Jakarta will be possible from 22:30 local time, Sunday, 13th March 2016.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

QuarkJets posted:

Anyone here ever done any diving around Molokai? We live an island over and are going to go visit for a little R&R, but we can't find much information on diving there aside from a single dive shop's website where they only advertise boat dives. Is shore diving even feasible?

It's stunning. Go boat dive there!

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

SgtScruffy posted:

I'm going to dive in Cres next week. Never been in Dubrovnik but the Croatian side of the Adriatic sea is really nice, in general. A little colder than the Italian side, but that's it.

Edit actually I've been in Dubrovnik but I hadn't started scuba diving at the time. The sea, even if only for snorkeling, was beautiful.

Cippalippus fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Aug 12, 2015

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Just finished the sixth and last dive in Trogir outside Split in Croatia. For a cold water diver it was awesome. 30 meter visibility and 22-26 degrees C in the water down to 25meters. Had to take off my wetsuit hood for a few shallow dives to avoid being boiled in a 6.5mm wesuit.
The water is very salty and it was a bit uncomfortable to get it in my eyes, had to blink like mad for 10 minutes afterward so try to avoid doing that during mask clearing and the like.
The salty water also adds buoyancy so you might need a bit more lead than usual.
There are lots of fish but they're tiny. Seahorses but I never saw any. Best thing was octopuses, I saw several and they were cool.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
guys this thread needs a bump. I owe a lot of pictures since I've had about four trips since my last picture dump including two different Spiegal grove dives, one Turks and Caicos dive and a couple others keys dives.

Also I have another Turks and Caicos 10 day, 5 two tank dive coming in a week and a half. Will try to make a massive photo dump before I leave next week.

while I am screwing around with photo adjustments, someone please tell me if its a good idea to replace closed heel split fins with open heel paddle fins or not.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I went to Chuuk in August and I'm sloooowly color / levels correcting the pictures. Expect them in 6 months.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Hey, the thread is back!

Pics from Monterey and Carmel this past Saturday:

Cabezon look like angry muppets

This sunflower star was maybe 60mm across, it's by far the biggest I've seen since the big sea star die off.

Cold water is the best water :)

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Sep 10, 2015

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Since pictures don't seem to be enough to keep the thread going, I do have a question:

I've been thinking about trying to become an instructor. I'm friends with a few former instructors but nobody active, and I'm not sure where the best place to start is. Just walk into a shop and ask cold?

I'm certified PADI through rescue and passed GUE fundamentals (but I'm loathe to go any further down the GUE track due to my distaste for kool-aid).

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Since pictures don't seem to be enough to keep the thread going, I do have a question:

I've been thinking about trying to become an instructor. I'm friends with a few former instructors but nobody active, and I'm not sure where the best place to start is. Just walk into a shop and ask cold?

I'm certified PADI through rescue and passed GUE fundamentals (but I'm loathe to go any further down the GUE track due to my distaste for kool-aid).

If you've got a home shop that you like go to talk to them and see how they handle Instructor programs. I can't speak for all shops (we are NAUI) but we usually have people interested in becoming an Instructor go through an apprenticeship program where they help out with classes first as an observer and then later as a Training Assistant. If they don't have a Master Diver certification they are usually working on it at this point. Once they have Master finished up we usually start Divemaster training so that they can lead trips and teach refreshers. We usually have a handful of these guys a year and when we have enough of them ready to go we run an Instructor Course. Our shop has 3 Course Directors including myself so it's pretty easy for us to run an Instructor Course. For other shops they will usually have you go in-house through Divemaster and if they don't have IT and CD staff on site you will go elsewhere to finish your Instructor training.

I would say just go to a shop you like, tell them you that are interested in teaching and then go from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012
Can you 'splain the current NAUI instructor course deal?

I am out of status NAUI instructor (but active with other agencies). What would I need to do to get current if there is no one around to easily do things with? Is it possible? If so, how much?