Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I don't think FNL is all that great, but it is very good at capturing the lovely small-town football experience of our youth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

pahuyuth posted:

I quite enjoyed season 2 even though it went further off the rails a bit. I think it was just starting to ramp up into something good. I'm bitter as hell about it and Jericho being cancelled.

Have you seen The 100? If you like Revolution I think you'd really like the The 100. The first season is on Netflix and we're getting a 3rd and final season which should wrap everything up. poo poo is getting balls to the walls bonkers.

Ya, that was not an ending, like WTF? Maybe Netflix would pick it up but doubtful. First season was better, the off the rails poo poo was really scaring me in the dream episode, but it came back around, the end just sucked. I <3 Miles though, so badass!

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
The Shield is getting remastered in 4K from the original 16mm prints. Unfortunately, the target release is 2017. I was thinking about rewatching the series, but now I'm tempted to wait.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Jingleheimer posted:

Is the next season of The 100 really going to be the last one? That's awful news to hear, the show is so good and I don't want it to end.

Reiterating this. What? I haven't seen this reported in Entertainment Weekly or mentioned at Comic-Con this year.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Maybe I'm just pulling that out of my rear end, but I'm almost positive I saw it mentioned somewhere that season 3 of The 100 will be the last. Looking around for an article to verify that revealed nothing but potential spoilers for the S3 premiere so I gave up. Sorry for the scare!

Anyway, if anyone hasn't seen it, definitely check out S1 on Netflix. It took me until about the 3rd episode to become fully invested in the show but once it clicked for me, I binged through all of S1 and S2 in a few days. I recall seeing the premiere as it aired and thinking "sci-fi teen soap opera" and giving up but it's a lot more than that and I'm glad I gave it a second chance.

Given the ending of S2, next season has the potential to be just balls to the wall bonkers and I can't wait to see what crazy poo poo Clarke does. Crazy rear end Jaha owns, Bellamy owns, Lexa owns, but Genghis motherfucking Clarke owns them all.

Also, you fuckers have until Friday to get caught up on Continuum before the S4 premiere (if you're in the US, it has already aired in Canada), which I know for sure is the last season.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 31, 2015

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Im currently watching through the X-files on Netflix and this is TOO SPOOKY

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The X-Files is in HD on Hulu

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Now that I'm caught up with Mr. Robot and not much else is on for another month, I think I'm finally going to give Person of Interest a chance, since Netflix starts streaming the first three seasons on September 1st (tomorrow).

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Now that I'm caught up with Mr. Robot and not much else is on for another month, I think I'm finally going to give Person of Interest a chance, since Netflix starts streaming the first three seasons on September 1st (tomorrow).

I've re-purposed the thread to accommodate newcomers since we are on a long hiatus before the next season starts. Feel free to post your reactions in here.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

If you don't mind reading subtitles, watch Gomorrah the Series, it's just as good as, if not better than, any of the more well known/talked about prestige dramas. I'm just not sure if its on Netflix right now.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Please do. Not to be all spoiler, but wait for these supporting characters before you think it's just a total bro-fest, with Taraji coming in every once in awhile. Root is scary amazing. Wait for Bear, he adds the cute animal factor. Wait for Shaw, she's just vicious and interacts well with all of the cast.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

mabels big day posted:

Im currently watching through the X-files on Netflix and this is TOO SPOOKY

x cops is the best episode of any tv show

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

corn in the bible posted:

First person shooter is the best episode of any tv show

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I really liked field trip, the one with the cockroaches, the one in the Bermuda triangle, and the one called "Hungry" which I later found out was written by none other than Vince Gilligan.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Cactus posted:

I really liked field trip, the one with the cockroaches, the one in the Bermuda triangle, and the one called "Hungry" which I later found out was written by none other than Vince Gilligan.

Vince Gilligan wrote a poo poo ton of episodes

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah but that's the one that sticks in my head. It was very different to the standard X-files formula.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

It's been years since I saw First Person Shooter, but seriously?

My favorite was always either The Post Modern Prometheus for FOTW episodes and Musings of a Cigarette-Smoking Man for plot episodes.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
All you scrubs sleeping on "Jose Chung's 'From Outer Space'" smdh

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I just watched all 10 episodes of The Brink. Probably the best comedy I've seen this year. Tim Robbins has always been a very forgettable actor to me, but he was easily the best thing about it.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

mastajake posted:

It's been years since I saw First Person Shooter, but seriously?

My favorite was always either The Post Modern Prometheus for FOTW episodes and Musings of a Cigarette-Smoking Man for plot episodes.

Joke answer. Must have been the worst of the bunch.
Musings [...] were the one with the Kennedy flashbacks etc right?
Really loved Leonard Betts myself.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I just finished up season 2 of Community and I gotta say this show is just full of great moments and zany scenarios. The biggest praise I can give it is that unlike a lot of shows, including one of my favourite series Arrested Development, Community really brings its heart up front. You can really believe that the Study Group are friends. Many other shows rely on the characters being jerks to each other and its nice to see a show where characters are genuinely nice to each (most of the time).

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

DoubleCakes posted:

I just finished up season 2 of Community and I gotta say this show is just full of great moments and zany scenarios. The biggest praise I can give it is that unlike a lot of shows, including one of my favourite series Arrested Development, Community really brings its heart up front. You can really believe that the Study Group are friends. Many other shows rely on the characters being jerks to each other and its nice to see a show where characters are genuinely nice to each (most of the time).

Hahahahahahahaha, well at least it gave you two seasons of what you liked about it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DoubleCakes posted:

Oh... oh no...

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, as some might recall I've been bingewatching HIMYM. Well, I'm done now. Prepare for :words:!

All i all, I think it was a drat fine show, and I can't say I particularly saw any major dips in quality. The last series definitely went up in quality. I think it's because I was binge watching, and so unlike the TVIV goons (whose response in threads past was a handy companion to contemporary opinion, plus, you know, Ted Mosby Architect's posting) I already knew when the end would come. I found the entire main cast to be excellent (yes, even Ted). The show always seemed to have a lot of heart - even when Ted seemed to be spinning his wheels, the rest of the cast were progressing through their own arcs, and they ususally seemed to dovetail at the end to the moment on the platform with the yellow umbrella.

As for the last episode, I actually decided to watch it with the alternate ending first (I figured why not toss a coin, since the original ending was controversial and they were divided even when they were making the show on which way to go). Now, I was quite understandably upset when they torpedoed Barney and Robin's relationship, but that ending montage narrated by Future Ted made everything better. It really serves as a capsule of how things work out in the end - what this article calls the 'optimism of inevitability'. You get the feeling that no matter what happens, everything's gonna be okay. The gang went their seperate ways, but they came back together again.

As for the original ending...well. It was...okay, I guess. I mean I guess it qualifies as a happy ending. It feels like the writers were victims of their own success. They'd put so much work into making the Barney & Robin relationship work and making the mother likable (major props to Cristin Milioti for her performance, by the way - she slotted right into the ensemble and you could see how she became good friends with the rest of the gang), that when they went with their originally planned ending, it felt like undermining the whole series up to that point. I think they made a mistake choosing the ending they did, as the show and the characters had evolved beyond that point.

I can't help but wonder how things would have turned out if they'd gone with the different ending. Would people remember the show better? Would it be rejected as too schmaltzy? How would Ted Mosby Architect wrap up his saga?

Anyway. That, goons, is How I Bingewatched How I Met Your Mother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNG4cbpeG1o

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Just finished season 1 of Blacklist last night and I really like it. Also, 2 days until Z Nation is back!!!

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
Smashed through Agent Carter in the last two weeks.
I thought the first few episodes were pretty mediocre but it start's to come into it's own around halfway in.
Everything from the Howling Commandoes episode is really good.

I'll be honest I found the whole everyone's a super sexist arsehole a little overdone, if it'd been played down a little it would have been fine.
I'm sure a lot of people in the 50's were total sexist cocks but it's just feel's over the top.
Also them all being dicks to a crippled guy feel's abit out of place since their all war-vets and surely would have known plenty of war wounded.

One the upside Jarvis work's surprisingly well since he could have been terrible and I really like Howard Stark to the point of almost wishing we got a bunch of 50's Howard Huges style Iron Man movies.

Also evil Black Widow & hypno-professer were interesting baddies.

I'm also a fan of how felt like it played out like a comic arc & the radio play was fun.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 10, 2015

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
Mr. Robot. At 9.1 on imdb this must be the most overrated show I've seen. It's amazing how much they copied Dexter for this show. And American Psycho. It's entertaining enough, especially if you never saw those two. Pretty bad at times though. Like in the first or second ep when Elliot just walks up to the guy on the street and asks for his cellphone, "I umm, need to call my mom or something". "Uh sure ok".

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
I've had a few friends talk highly about Mr. Robot. What's the basic premise?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Shadow posted:

I've had a few friends talk highly about Mr. Robot. What's the basic premise?

Fight Club 2.0: the TV show. Basically.

That isn't a spoiler, by the way, but if I told you why it isn't one, that would be.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah the Fight Club parallels really jump out, and they just flat-out lean into it and even use some of the same music. Still a really fun show, though.

The basic premise is "hackers try to take down global capitalism".

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
Mr. Robot might be overrated, but it does a few things quite well. Definitely a post-Breaking Bad show.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just watched the finale to M*A*S*H. I didn't think I'd make it through all 11 seasons, but it was worth it. One thing surprised me was how the last two seasons were really good. Lots of the best episodes. Would anyone be interested in a dedicated thread?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

DoubleCakes posted:

lol you poor fucker bail out bail out

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I've been bingewatching the Sarah Connor Chronicles. Well, binge (re)watching.

It's easily the best thing that happened to the Terminator (at least on screen - I dunno about other media) since the first two movies.

Lena Headey is a drat fine replacement Sarah Connor - I can't think of any other actress that could fill Linda Hamilton's shoes. John Connor does occasionally act like a whiny teenager, but he does show elements of being an awesome leader. Summer Glau is great as Cameron, and she's especially good in Allison From Palmdale. Brian Austin Green and Shirley Manson both play characters that should on paper be dumb and bad, but they both outstanding. And of course Garret Dillahunt is amazing, especially when You see him as Beastwizard :swoon: Oh, and John Henry. I'm glad they didn't make :roboluv: a big part of the show - I mean I'm sure that's were it would have headed in later seasons, but from how they build it up I could see the relationship developing organically (no pun intended).

drat YOU, FOX NETWORK! :argh:

I mean I wouldn't be so mad if Dollhouse was actually good, but I tired watching through the first series and I couldn't do it, between the premise and Eliza Dushku being an apparent black hole of charisma, despite the great supporting cast.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If there's one thing Summer Glau can pull of it's being a robot.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Egbert Souse posted:

Just watched the finale to M*A*S*H. I didn't think I'd make it through all 11 seasons, but it was worth it. One thing surprised me was how the last two seasons were really good. Lots of the best episodes. Would anyone be interested in a dedicated thread?

I've been working my way through it as well. I'm about halfway season 8 right now. It holds up surprisingly well.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DoubleCakes posted:

keep watching

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

drat YOU, FOX NETWORK! :argh:

I mean I wouldn't be so mad if Dollhouse was actually good, but I tired watching through the first series and I couldn't do it, between the premise and Eliza Dushku being an apparent black hole of charisma, despite the great supporting cast.

Dollhouse got good, I promise. The first five episodes are not terribly interesting, as they are very procedural and make the show seem generic and bland at best, and creepy and problematic at worst. But episode 6 starts hinting at bigger, better things, and then it improved exponentially from there. And while Dushku wasn't great (I dream of an alternate universe where Tatiany Maslany had been the star of Dollhouse), the supporting cast is amazing and well worth following the show just for them.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 12, 2015

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

[...]the supporting cast is amazing and well worth following the show just for them.

Really, when do you EVER say that with an epic show that is really worth your time when, as we've proven through this thread, there's just so many better ones out there with good leads, writing, premise, and support?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Getting back into my Barney Miller marathon.

It's held up quite well despite some cultural references. The only thing that might not go over well today is that they featured a recurring gay character, albeit of the "swishy" variety common to the era.