Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Koramei posted:

Incidentally Sikhism really owns.

It definitely does. Punjab + Sikh + Offensive + Defensive seems able to really put the hurt around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sikh has the strongest religious events in the game except maybe Shinto with Japanese culture.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Remember also that even if you don't get the original Sikh event, you can still convert as a Hindu, you just have to do so via the "convert religion" button on your Religion screen. And yeah Sikh is hell of fun to play, you get some crazy missionary strength decisions that you can stack with your old Hindu missionary strength decisions.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Prop Wash posted:

Remember also that even if you don't get the original Sikh event, you can still convert as a Hindu, you just have to do so via the "convert religion" button on your Religion screen. And yeah Sikh is hell of fun to play, you get some crazy missionary strength decisions that you can stack with your old Hindu missionary strength decisions.

Yeah I did this in my Bahmanis playthrough that I need to wrap up. You start Shia with all Hindu provinces, and get some cool permanent modifiers for being Muslim before ~1500 (tax and fort defense in capital, prestige, choice of 5% land morale or -1 RR in exchange for +10% stab cost).

I converted about a third of my provinces to Shia, then it's easy to swap to Hindu (since it's still a majority of provinces) you don't even need rebels, just the revolt risk and zealot faction to accept demands. Then as Hindu you can snag the MS decisions, -6% tech cost if you own a Sunni province which is easy.

Then I went Sikh and got Save the Burning World for another +3% MS, then back to Shia :v:

Bahmanis NIs would fit really well with Humanist and I'd originally planned on getting it, but I had so much MS and no points to spare so I just converted everything.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah I did this in my Bahmanis playthrough that I need to wrap up. You start Shia with all Hindu provinces, and get some cool permanent modifiers for being Muslim before ~1500 (tax and fort defense in capital, prestige, choice of 5% land morale or -1 RR in exchange for +10% stab cost).

I converted about a third of my provinces to Shia, then it's easy to swap to Hindu (since it's still a majority of provinces) you don't even need rebels, just the revolt risk and zealot faction to accept demands. Then as Hindu you can snag the MS decisions, -6% tech cost if you own a Sunni province which is easy.

Then I went Sikh and got Save the Burning World for another +3% MS, then back to Shia :v:

Bahmanis NIs would fit really well with Humanist and I'd originally planned on getting it, but I had so much MS and no points to spare so I just converted everything.

Where can I find descriptions for events like this? As well as other ones, like events you get if your inflation goes over 20 (its a really bad one.) I can't find generic events on the wiki, just nation-specific ones.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Node posted:

Where can I find descriptions for events like this? As well as other ones, like events you get if your inflation goes over 20 (its a really bad one.) I can't find generic events on the wiki, just nation-specific ones.

The wiki is an ok outline for nation events, though often not completely up to date. Mostly I look at the event text files, which is easy to do for nations. As you say it's harder for generic stuff since it's spread among a ton of different files and the organization is not straight forward.

If you have specific things you are curious about I can try and help look for them sometime tonight.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Larry Parrish posted:

I just wish we'd get Nation Edit or some poo poo for custom nations... Like what If I just wanted to play the Papal States, but it was purple instead of white or something.

I've been asking for a while to have the country color definitions moved from TAG.txt into some file we can edit without affecting ironman status (I think countrycolors.txt was in that group last I checked), but Wiz apparently hasn't noticed, or just doesn't want to.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Speaking of Sikhism, seeing as my Somali game was rendered incompatible due to the last patch I've been thinking about trying a campaign where I form the Mughal Empire and spread through India and Asia+Asia Minor like wildfire. However, are there any religion or nation requirements to forming it? Since I checked the wiki and it states that it's a Sunni nation, however in the formation decision requirements it doesn't appear to have any religion or specific nation requirements. So, could I pick a Hindu nation somewhere and eventually form the Mughals, so that I could later convert to Sikhism and begin my rampage? (Also, if this is possible, I'd greatly appreciate any suggested Hindu nation suggestions for achieving my goal!)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

code:
	mughal_nation = {
		major = yes
		potential = {
			normal_or_historical_nations = yes
			OR = {
				ai = no
				is_playing_custom_nation = no
			}
			NOT = { tag = PER }
			NOT = { tag = MUG }
			NOT = { tag = TUR }
			OR = {
				NOT = { exists = MUG }
				ai = no
			}
			OR = {
				culture_group = iranian
				primary_culture = turkmeni
				primary_culture = uzbehk
				primary_culture = kirgiz
			}
			OR = {
				ai = no
				AND = {
					ai = yes
					num_of_cities = 5
				}
			}
			is_colonial_nation = no
			OR = {
				is_former_colonial_nation = no
				AND = {
					is_former_colonial_nation = yes
					ai = no
				}
			}
		}
		allow = {
			NOT = { exists = MUG }
			is_tribal = no
			is_at_war = no
			is_subject = no
			owns_core_province = 578
			owns_core_province = 507
			owns_core_province = 510
			owns_core_province = 522
			owns_core_province = 524	
		}
You'd need to shift to one of the Central Eurasian culture groups, but it's doable.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
When I formed Mughals in the 1.13 beta I didn't get Mughal ideas, so unless they've fixed that a game with the Mughals-forming goal might be a bit anticlimactic.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Major Isoor posted:

Speaking of Sikhism, seeing as my Somali game was rendered incompatible due to the last patch I've been thinking about trying a campaign where I form the Mughal Empire and spread through India and Asia+Asia Minor like wildfire. However, are there any religion or nation requirements to forming it? Since I checked the wiki and it states that it's a Sunni nation, however in the formation decision requirements it doesn't appear to have any religion or specific nation requirements. So, could I pick a Hindu nation somewhere and eventually form the Mughals, so that I could later convert to Sikhism and begin my rampage? (Also, if this is possible, I'd greatly appreciate any suggested Hindu nation suggestions for achieving my goal!)

I'm pretty confident that Mughal being Sunni on the wiki just means for the game dates where Mughals exist they're Sunni. I don't see anything in the decision file that requires a religion or switches your religion, so you can form it as anything and keep your religion. Hindu, if you like.

However, you need an Iranian, Turkmeni, Uzbek, or Kyrgyz primary culture to form Mughals which is a bit of an obstacle starting as Hindu. It means you'll need to conquer hard into the Iranian plateau and steppe, then move your capital and culture swap which is expensive.

So I think your options are pretty much:

1) do the historical Mughal thing, start as Timurids or Uzbek (or Chagatai I guess) and expand as a horde before settling down, reforming, and forming Mughals. You can switch religion pretty easily by intentionally inciting a revolt, but the hordes don't have much in the way of heathen tolerance or revolt risk so your remaining Muslim provinces are gonna be MAD.

2) start as an Indian nation and culture swap. You'd need to conquer heavily into the Iranian plateau, then spend 200 ADM to move your capital and 5 stability to culture shift. Unfortunately there aren't many good Hindu starts in the NW of India, which makes starting Hindu and conquering Persia pretty tough.

3) just play as an Indian nation and don't bother forming Mughals. Most of the nations in the 1444 Indian start are all-Hindu but Sunni or Shia nations. You can start as any of them, send a missionary to a province and let the month tick over to get Hindu Zealots, then Accept Demands. It'll cost you 50 prestige, but bang presto you're Hindu as most any Muslim start in India. Note you may want to stay Muslim for the first century or so as some of the large Muslim nations (Jaunpur, Bengal, Bahmanis) get cool Muslim-only events early on. You can always switch later.

4) if you don't care about achievements, start as a custom nation with a primary culture that can form Mughals.

Chickpea Roar posted:

When I formed Mughals in the 1.13 beta I didn't get Mughal ideas, so unless they've fixed that a game with the Mughals-forming goal might be a bit anticlimactic.

I just looked at the decision text file and it swaps your idea set. Should work in current live version.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hmm, alright then, well I guess I might not go for the Mughal Empire and just play as one of the Hindu nations further south or east, and see how it pans out from there. Thanks for the info, guys - better to know of the difficulties of creating a Hindu M.E. now, then later on when I'm ten hours in!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Major Isoor posted:

Hmm, alright then, well I guess I might not go for the Mughal Empire and just play as one of the Hindu nations further south or east, and see how it pans out from there. Thanks for the info, guys - better to know of the difficulties of creating a Hindu M.E. now, then later on when I'm ten hours in!

Bahmanis, Bengal, Vijayanagar, Jaunpur, Delhi are all solid options

edit: one thing to be very mindful of is most of southern India is Tropical, and there is a lot of desert and jungle and otherwise lovely terrain. That means you will take buckets of attrition, so mix in merc infantry as much as you can afford them. You will bleed a lot of manpower conquering around India.

also, the Rajput states have a +50% coring cost NI in addition to taking Aristocratic ideas so they are +100% cost to core, the fuckers. Stomp with extreme prejudice.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 11, 2015

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Wiz posted:

I did a dev diary on all the map stuff I've been hinting at/tweeting about.

quote:

In the future, we also plan to use this system for gameplay purposes such as, for example, making the AI better at geographical consolidation.

Does this mean what I hope it means? Namely, the AI will fight for pretty borders?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I bet it would be easy to make the AI especially concerned about events in its own region, and attempt to dominate that region. Sounds like that's planned for a future patch?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Did something about the last patch change the way trade works, or the way privateering works? Before the last patch I was having a go at playing as Tunis, despite their cool privateer-oriented ideas I found the only real use for them was to send them against my rivals to get enough power projection for an extra military leader at a marginal cost (they didn't make quite as much money as they were costing me, but it was close). I'm trying again now, with more or less the same strategy, and actually getting fairly decent profits from it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

alcaras posted:

Does this mean what I hope it means? Namely, the AI will fight for pretty borders?

We aren't ready for this. Not yet.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Is it possible to really excel as a single province?

I think before the rework to the development system it might have been easier. But now higher tiers of development cost significantly more than previous. Even through stacking development cost reduction, past a certain threshold, it almost becomes irrelevant. Currently in a custom Hamburg game I have 56 development by 1506. Even with with 65% reduced development cost it now takes 220 points to raise development. At this rate the cost will become prohibitive very soon.

If I want to advance as a nation and take full advantage of my points, I think I'll be forced to conquer land, which doesn't conform at all to the idea of staying an OPM. I really liked the idea of a free city building extremely tall, all game. It's not practical but it is novel.

Have any of you been able to excel this patch as a single province? Any advice?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Dorkopotamis posted:

If I want to advance as a nation and take full advantage of my points, I think I'll be forced to conquer land, which doesn't conform at all to the idea of staying an OPM. I really liked the idea of a free city building extremely tall, all game. It's not practical but it is novel.

You can't build that tall to stay OPM, merchant republic sniping centers of trade everywhere works well but not a stay-at-home OPM

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Pyromancer posted:

You can't build that tall to stay OPM, merchant republic sniping centers of trade everywhere works well but not a stay-at-home OPM

Someone recently posted on r/eu4 where as the Hansa they took nearly every center of trade in the world and had managed to explode the trade mechanics giving him ungodly amounts of wealth. It had something to do with the goods produced modifier that increases when there's a merchant republic trading in the area.

There's also some good examples of people staying as OPMs with the new development mechanics but I can't seem to find either of them.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Kongo went catholic, would it be possible to convert via rebels as Mutapa? I'm not sure if the rebel relocation mechanic would transport them around the cape to where the majority of my provinces (and capital) are.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

If QQ is distracted in another war you should be able to make gains against them, you just need to siege their capital and control the war goal (which is going to be Arbdil). I would probably restart until your starting general gets at least one siege pip as it makes a huge difference vs. the level 3 fort. If they only attack extremely isolated, weak targets such as AQ or Hasaa then you're kind of screwed, but Georgia is enough as long as the Georgians don't get their army stackwiped immediately. Just never let your army get attacked outside of a mountain province, and you should be able to survive 1 or 2 fights before they beat you with numbers or they might just ignore you and go siege your capital.

It's possible to get Tabriz + Arbdil + 1 or 2 other cheap provinces (there's a nice cluster of very low development Azeri provinces) if you're lucky though you only really need the first two and you can successfully get away without taking Tabriz in the first war. One tip for the first war is that if you increase development in either of your starting provinces you get an extra +1 force limit, which is well worth it as it lets you maintain the 10 unit army you really need without going hugely into debt.

Once you've broken out from QQ you can follow up with annexing Shirvan for its tasty trade power province, then vassal Gazi-whatever and start feeding Georgia to them. Jump on Timurids after their inevitable thrashing by rebels.

I've done this 3 or 4 times since 1.13 betas started so I guess it's fairly repeatable.

Interesting. I'm wondering why you wouldn't release Persia as a vassal when you're only 2 provinces large? That way you get those persian seperatist rebels to work in your favor without costing AE?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Pellisworth posted:

I just looked at the decision text file and it swaps your idea set. Should work in current live version.

It should have swapped my ideas in the beta too, according to the txt file. Other people on the paradox forums had the same problem, but not every time, so it's some obscure bug without a clear cause.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Odobenidae posted:

Kongo went catholic, would it be possible to convert via rebels as Mutapa? I'm not sure if the rebel relocation mechanic would transport them around the cape to where the majority of my provinces (and capital) are.

You could move your capital soon as you core it. That would spawn them right on your capital, making it fairly painless.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I asked yesterday and didn't get a reply, but still having some trouble taking Defender of the Faith for some reason. France is the current DotF and has been for a couple decades. I have more Prestige than them, and the tooltip says I should be able to take Defender from them once I have more Prestige (or they lose/decline a war).

I thought it was because France was at war, but now we're both at peace and there doesn't seem to be a button anywhere to take DotF from them. Anyone know what gives? I'd really like the extra missionary

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Dorkopotamis posted:

As a single province, little. Small nations are less troubled by that, but still it seems that development could use some work.

It is more of intuition than anything else (so feel free to take as anecdotal) , but I find myself rarely developing or at all when ideas, cores, diplomatic actions, stability and events are much more pressing demands of your points. Particularly even more so with other tech groups, although I can concede that might be due to a pre-Common Sense playstyle.

I am not so sure that this would be a good or even practical idea - and I can see the concerns a mile away - however, perhaps it would be an interesting thing to just let gold be used to develop provinces instead of monarch points.

Perhaps after that I play a full game with France or a powerhouse that can go really tall I can comment with more property on the subject, but IMHO, development could use some additional work to make it more doable and engaging.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Maybe make the cost take into account total development instead of only province development so a opm or 3pm etc can get hella tall but you don't also see france full of 50 dev provinces.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

I asked yesterday and didn't get a reply, but still having some trouble taking Defender of the Faith for some reason. France is the current DotF and has been for a couple decades. I have more Prestige than them, and the tooltip says I should be able to take Defender from them once I have more Prestige (or they lose/decline a war).

I thought it was because France was at war, but now we're both at peace and there doesn't seem to be a button anywhere to take DotF from them. Anyone know what gives? I'd really like the extra missionary

I know the button used to just be the shield that said who the current DotF was. So in this case the big French fleur-de-lis on the Religion screen.

Dorkopotamis posted:

Define excel. It's really hard to do any warfare as an OPM because you lack any strategic depth. But if you wanted to stay an OPM forever, it would be easy enough to just never engage in any fights you knew you weren't going to win. But I don't know why you'd want to play like that, because the whole game is sort of built around conquering stuff.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

I know the button used to just be the shield that said who the current DotF was. So in this case the big French fleur-de-lis on the Religion screen.

Define excel. It's really hard to do any warfare as an OPM because you lack any strategic depth. But if you wanted to stay an OPM forever, it would be easy enough to just never engage in any fights you knew you weren't going to win. But I don't know why you'd want to play like that, because the whole game is sort of built around conquering stuff.

Yeah which is why I'm baffled. The French fleur-de-lis is in the DotF slot, but when I click it just takes makes to view of their capital province (Paris). Supposedly after 24 months, another nation with higher Prestige can claim the title. My ruler isn't female, I have tons of cash, it's been decades, I have more Prestige, but I don't see any way to take DotF from them.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'm interested to see what you can do with a small (say, five provinces) power who goes all-out on development. Looks like Bavaria are probably the way to go - five provinces, all grassland, western tech group, 10% discount on development. Grab a couple vassals, try and take over the Holy Roman Empire, and later on the world, from your giant pile of lederhosen in the centre of Europe.

What idea groups would be best for this? Economic is obvious for the discount on development, quantity to make your army respectably-sized, maybe a bunch of diplomatic ideas to make everyone love you?

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Gort posted:

I'm interested to see what you can do with a small (say, five provinces) power who goes all-out on development. Looks like Bavaria are probably the way to go - five provinces, all grassland, western tech group, 10% discount on development. Grab a couple vassals, try and take over the Holy Roman Empire, and later on the world, from your giant pile of lederhosen in the centre of Europe.

What idea groups would be best for this? Economic is obvious for the discount on development, quantity to make your army respectably-sized, maybe a bunch of diplomatic ideas to make everyone love you?
Influence, since you're running around with a bunch of vassals. You'll be able to squeeze a little more gold out of them, but more importantly you'll get more force-limits from then.
Then again, if you don't plan on annexing them, Diplomatic could be better.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Portugal has an event that gives them 10 Mercantilism :stare:

Isnt that totally insane?

Contrecoup
Mar 30, 2015
Growing tall works well as a colonial power. All that sweet sweet gold let's you keep up on all your buildings and give the middle finger to force limits if you get dragged 8nt9 a particularly dire seeming war.

No clue how well it'd work as a land power.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Bort Bortles posted:

Portugal has an event that gives them 10 Mercantilism :stare:

Isnt that totally insane?

It isn't crazy. It's really good, but you can regularly get events from Trade ideas that give you mercantilism, including one that gives 5 at the cost of 1 stability.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Chickpea Roar posted:

It should have swapped my ideas in the beta too, according to the txt file. Other people on the paradox forums had the same problem, but not every time, so it's some obscure bug without a clear cause.

According to the Bug Report forum, the cause is having a majority of your idea groups being admin groups at the time you switch tags.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Ha, so I guess the game considers the NI sets to be Admin and doesn't let you take a new set when you swap tags :v:

That explains why I haven't ever seen this bug since I rarely get more than 1 admin set before tag swapping.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Drakhoran posted:

According to the Bug Report forum, the cause is having a majority of your idea groups being admin groups at the time you switch tags.

That checks out. My only idea set on that save is administrative. If only I hadn't saved after forming I could have just removed the idea track, I don't even have any ideas in it yet :negative:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Hey Wiz, I think I found a bug (or inaccurate tooltip) and also have a balance suggestion -

I'm fairly confident taking Defender of the Faith from the current holder isn't working properly. The tooltip says the current DotF holds the title until they lose a war or decline a call, or after 24 months you can claim the title if you have more Prestige. I've checked it out in two different saves, one Catholic and the other as a Protestant and I am unable to take DotF despite having more prestige, plenty of gold, an eligible (male) ruler, and waiting for decades. Clicking the DotF icon just takes me to the current holder's capital province. Seems that either the tooltip is inaccurate or it's bugged and not working correctly.

On a balance note, the penalty for breaking Treaty of Tordesillas and colonizing an already claimed region as a Catholic is really nasty and decays slowly. My last Spain game, Portugal was mostly very particular about not competing with me for colonial regions, but decided they wanted a piece of Mexico next to mine. I don't know the exact penalty for each province colonized in a claimed region, but a handful (4-5) is enough to totally tank relations between the two colonizers and between the violator and the Papal State. So Portugal ended up with -200 relations penalties toward me and the Pope, which only decays at a base of 1.0/year. In another game I knew about the penalty but needed a NE American colony, didn't realize it decayed that slowly. I basically ruined my papal relations and point income for the entire campaign doing that. Seems to me the penalty should decay a lot faster.

edit: the wiki says it's -50 per province which is kinda :stare: if correct

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 12, 2015

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

So Steam loving up its connection just lost me 30+ years/8-odd hours of Ironman end-game warfare. Understandable of course, syncing those 36 MB of local user settings must've clogged up the Steam servers something fierce!

Well, that's my story, hope we all learned something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

anti_strunt posted:

So Steam loving up its connection just lost me 30+ years/8-odd hours of Ironman end-game warfare. Understandable of course, syncing those 36 MB of local user settings must've clogged up the Steam servers something fierce!

Well, that's my story, hope we all learned something.

Stop using cloud saves for ironman. I know for me it sped things up a reasonable amount too.

• Locked thread