Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Rennie is the best part of that whole thing, next best is Ken Sagoes talking about how he had to be in the beginning of 4 because they forgot to write him out at the end of 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Some of you may have seen Dickeye and I (there's a bad brains joke in that sentence, somewhere) get excited about a documentary coming out soon-ish called Never Get Tired. It's about the band Bomb the Music Industry and more specifically about their singer Jeff Rosenstock. He invented the pay what you want approach later adopted by NIN and Radiohead. He makes great fuckin' music. And he's a really nice man!

Anyway, here's a link that has the trailer and an interview with the filmmaker and Jeff as well

http://punktastic.com/radar/never-get-tired-the-bomb-the-music-industry-story-interview-with-sara-crow-and-jeff-rosenstock/

Also, two clips from the movie

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/exclusive-clips-from-never-get-tired-the-bomb-the-music-industry-story?utm_source=noiseytwitterus

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 31, 2015

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Rennie is the best part of that whole thing, next best is Ken Sagoes talking about how he had to be in the beginning of 4 because they forgot to write him out at the end of 3.

"I would tell my friends, 'if you're goin' to the movies to see me in part 4, go straight to the theatre. Don't grab no popcorn, don't get no drinks or nothin' because my rear end will be dead by the time you sit down."
-Ken Sagoes

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
I posted about "Peace Officer" back when I saw it in April. I'm gonna post about it again: http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/09/03/drafthouse-recommends-peace-officer

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I finally got around to seeing West of Memphis. Not actually knowing the story apart from remembering the Dixie Chicks/Eddie Vedder stuff at the time and not knowing what they were referring to.

It made me angry. And sad.

I also watched it back to back with Central Park Five.

Now I'm super angry. And super sad.

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 4, 2015

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

This is in poor taste but I want to watch documentaries on 9/ 11 mostly conspiracy ones or movies about people who pretended they were at ground zero. I'm having trouble finding the non you tube ones.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

djwetmouse posted:

This is in poor taste but I want to watch documentaries on 9/ 11 mostly conspiracy ones or movies about people who pretended they were at ground zero. I'm having trouble finding the non you tube ones.

In Plane Site would be the one.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
If you want to see actual ground zero as the firefighters worked on it, check out the documentary '9/11' from two French guys that were there and had cameras rolling. It's an amazing documentary and pretty moving to watch. There's crazy footage of the planes hitting the towers in it too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miA8Td4oNcY

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I know it's a bit niche but does anyone know any good documentaries about live in Appalachia during the 1700s or 1800s?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

SpaceAceJase posted:

Are there any good documentaries on hackers / OpSec stuff?

HAve you seen this? It's about Cliff Stoll

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcKxaq1FTac

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

djwetmouse posted:

This is probably not going to be much help, but I know there's a documentary about a spanish (?) woman who claimed to have been there to get attention and people started picking her story apart, I just can't remember the name of it. I do remember it being a fascinating documentary though.

mod sassinator posted:

If you want to see actual ground zero as the firefighters worked on it, check out the documentary '9/11' from two French guys that were there and had cameras rolling. It's an amazing documentary and pretty moving to watch. There's crazy footage of the planes hitting the towers in it too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miA8Td4oNcY
I watched this a few years ago (without the weird Robert De Niro hosting) and yeah, it's pretty much the best eyewitness documentary available of the attacks. None of the conspiracy bullshit, just harrowing footage of what was happening, and the people who were involved taking you through it all. I'm wary of the :911: rah rah rah stuff usually present in these documentaries but in this it all comes off as very sincere and indeed moving. It's pretty remarkable that it was meant to be a simple documentary about a guy starting work at a firestation and turned out to be something that captured a hugely significant event.

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

Stare-Out posted:

This is probably not going to be much help, but I know there's a documentary about a spanish (?) woman who claimed to have been there to get attention and people started picking her story apart, I just can't remember the name of it. I do remember it being a fascinating documentary though.

"The Woman Who Wasn't There." I watched this last year or so and really liked it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

sithwitch13 posted:

"The Woman Who Wasn't There." I watched this last year or so and really liked it.
That's the one! Thanks.

prolapsed
Sep 9, 2015
Apologize if this is inappropriate for this thread, but the /r/documentaries subreddit has a very actively updated list of documentaries. I pick one a night to watch generally.

Here's a recent one I enjoyed from CNN: Double Agent Inside Al Qaeda for the CIA

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Has r/documentaries tightened up on their submissions? Some of that stuff has been the pits for months now.

prolapsed
Sep 9, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Has r/documentaries tightened up on their submissions? Some of that stuff has been the pits for months now.

Yeah I've noticed the same. It seems like their mods have been a bit absent, but there's some diamonds in the poo poo pile of conspiracy documentaries.

Also, probably doesn't need to be mentioned, but Vice has some interesting stuff occasionally on their YouTube Channel.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm watching Electric Boogaloo and I'm getting incredibly frustrated with the editing and general pacing. This topic is super interesting, they have tons of great footage to choose from, but it's edited like it's a 2 minute trailer. Only it's 106 minutes long. It's exhausting.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ok, so about 11 minutes in, the movie's meds kick in and it slows down enough to let you actually take in the things it's talking about. What a bad way to open. Really good after that point, though.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

prolapsed posted:

Apologize if this is inappropriate for this thread, but the /r/documentaries subreddit has a very actively updated list of documentaries. I pick one a night to watch generally.

Here's a recent one I enjoyed from CNN: Double Agent Inside Al Qaeda for the CIA

My man mentioning that a website has links to a bunch of documentaries in the documentary thread is as appropriate as it gets! You killed it!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So someone a few weeks or months ago here was asking about decent documentaries on animation history. PBS just aired a two part look at Walt Disney a few days ago as a part of their American Experience series, totaling at about four hours in length. I just watched the first part and I've found it to be a pretty even-handed look at the man, showing both his accomplishments and his follies as a person.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Raxivace posted:

So someone a few weeks or months ago here was asking about decent documentaries on animation history. PBS just aired a two part look at Walt Disney a few days ago as a part of their American Experience series, totaling at about four hours in length. I just watched the first part and I've found it to be a pretty even-handed look at the man, showing both his accomplishments and his follies as a person.

That was me! This sounds cool; I'd love something similar for a really controversial figure like Bluth or John K though.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I just saw the Devil and Daniel Johnston. I think it lionizes him a bit too much without convincing the audience of his "genius". A bipolar Brian Wilson? Come on.

Still, it left me hungry for more rock-docs focusing on colorful personalities. Dig! is another, and probably better, example of what I'm looking for.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I just saw the Devil and Daniel Johnston. I think it lionizes him a bit too much without convincing the audience of his "genius". A bipolar Brian Wilson? Come on.

Still, it left me hungry for more rock-docs focusing on colorful personalities. Dig! is another, and probably better, example of what I'm looking for.

Bob Dylan in Don't Look Back

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Are there any good documentaries on the Unabomber that you guys know of? He seems like a dude there would be a few documentaries on, but I'm not really seeing much out there.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

fatelvis posted:

Are there any good documentaries on the Unabomber that you guys know of? He seems like a dude there would be a few documentaries on, but I'm not really seeing much out there.

I saw a CNN one a couple of weeks ago, it was okay. I watched it with half an eye.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

fatelvis posted:

One of the better First Person episodes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BurUfcV0GR4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiJ4aE2CarI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frVeN1kzL24

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
E: nevermind.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

xcore posted:

I finally got around to seeing West of Memphis. Not actually knowing the story apart from remembering the Dixie Chicks/Eddie Vedder stuff at the time and not knowing what they were referring to.

Have you seen the 3 "Paradise Lost" films?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Paradise Lost trilogy goes really well with the slightly more detached view in West of Memphis. The first movie of the trilogy in particular is one of my favorite docs, and I think it raises some interesting questions about how involved a filmmaker can or should be in making a movie once they become involved with a story like this, even if it is in a relatively minor way.

Also I'll never look at Bojangles restaurants in the same way again.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 22, 2015

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Raxivace posted:

The Paradise Lost trilogy goes really well with the slightly more detached view in West of Memphis. The first movie of the trilogy in particular is one of my favorite docs, and I think it raises some interesting questions about how involved a filmmaker can or should be in making a movie once they become involved with a story like this, even if it is in a relatively minor way.

Also I'll never look at Bojangles restaurants in the same way again.

What I find stunning is that the prosecutor for the case still believes he got it right the first time. I mean I guess I sorta understand from a pride and stubbornness perspective, but christ almighty, just man up. You can't be sued because of the Alford plea. The case's leads for the other suspects are so shaky you'll likely never find the real killer. Just admit you hosed up.

For what it's worth, I think the Byers kid's dad did it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

While I think that same dude might have done it (Terry Hobbs seems more likely to me), part of me also wonders if I'm just falling victim to the same mentality that caused the West Memphis Three to be accused in the first place. Is being convinced because of a movie or two really enough reason to think somebody murdered three children?

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 22, 2015

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Raxivace posted:

While I think that same dude might have done it (Terry Hobbs seems more likely to me), part of me also wonders if I'm just falling victim to the same mentality that caused the West Memphis Three to be accused in the first place. Is being convinced because of a movie or two really enough reason to think somebody murdered three children?

The difference is we're basing it on actual evidence, I think. For me it's the teeth marks and his constantly changing story regarding the knife that had his and Chris Byers DNA on it. Also, we're not sentencing anybody to death on our half-baked theories.

Help me out, is Hobbs the dude who wandered into Bojangles? Or is he the dude who suspiciously moved out of town not long after the bodies were found?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 22, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

No one knows who the Bojangles guy is, though apparently he was black according to witness descriptions.

Hobbs is the one that Paradise Lost 3 points to, as well as West of Memphis. His hair was found on one of the dead kid's bodies. He tried to sue a singer or something too, and generally had problems with spousal abuse.

http://wm3.wikia.com/wiki/Terry_Hobbs

FWIW the Byers dad thinks Hobbs is guilty too.

cats
May 11, 2009
One of my favorite parts of that series is the complete 180 that Byers' dad did. Going from this stark raving mad giant redneck dude in the first two parts, with all his crazy explicit rants about what he wants to do to the accused guys, to then seemingly expressing genuine regret - it really did warm me up to the guy in the end.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pianist On Strike posted:

One of my favorite parts of that series is the complete 180 that Byers' dad did. Going from this stark raving mad giant redneck dude in the first two parts, with all his crazy explicit rants about what he wants to do to the accused guys, to then seemingly expressing genuine regret - it really did warm me up to the guy in the end.

Not to seem like a cynical dick, but I can't help but wonder if that isn't a very calculated attempt to deflect suspicion.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Have you seen the 3 "Paradise Lost" films?

Clearly I haven't, otherwise I'd be familiar with the story.

Now for a non-smartass answer. Will I still get anything out of watching them having seen West Of...? From the movie, i kind of got the impression that whilst they were groundbreaking, they were only going off the evidence that they had at the time and there has since been a lot more evidence so it's kind of all moot.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
^^^yes, you should watch them all^^^

El Gallinero Gros posted:

For what it's worth, I think the Byers kid's dad did it.

He didn't.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The difference is we're basing it on actual evidence, I think. For me it's the teeth marks and his constantly changing story regarding the knife that had his and Chris Byers DNA on it. Also, we're not sentencing anybody to death on our half-baked theories.

Help me out, is Hobbs the dude who wandered into Bojangles? Or is he the dude who suspiciously moved out of town not long after the bodies were found?

The "bite mark" actually matches Terry Hobbs' partial denture. Hobbs is the step parent of one other kid (Stevie Branch). His DNA was found in a lace used to tie one of the children. The Bojangles man was never identified.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 23, 2015

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Just watched The Farm: Angola, USA (aka The Farm:Life Inside Angola Prison). So hosed up. The part where the parole board just brushes off concrete evidence of a convicts' potential innocence pissed me off.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Watching American Meth from 2008 already seems dated, what is a new, good, documentary on meth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

djwetmouse posted:

Watching American Meth from 2008 already seems dated, what is a new, good, documentary on meth?

The Louis Theroux special on meth was pretty good, but I guess it depends entirely on your opinion of Louis. It is from 2009 though, so not really all that new.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_City_Addicted_to_Crystal_Meth

It is pretty drat depressing, as you'd expect.