Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

I'm suddenly extremely interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Jesus Christ gently caress Yes

TRVE
BIOMECHANICAL
INDVSTRIAL

Hey! Did you all save that remix of SOULS that Dmyer put up on soundcloud? Cause he deleted it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The Birthday Massacre were SO loving GOOD.

First time I saw them, I thought they were loving incredible. Second & third time, the shows lacked a bit.

This time they played a relatively tiny venue and it was just too loving great. I regret having forgotten my proper camera, would have been amazing. I was only three rows back, and had a great view.

Bryan Erickson was apparently there too, but I didn't recognise him. Seeing VAC on Friday.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
A guy in the Facebook KMFDM group found a CD full of Nihil/Cheesy demos, along with this little gem:

https://youtu.be/anxpWgQmT-o

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Laibach give extremely Laibach interview to Rolling Stone about playing North Korea, idiots go nuts in the comments.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah what I love about Laibach is that they absolutely do their own thing and DGAF about what other people think.

The whole point is that the band is its own little totalitarian society which assimilates and absorbs everything. So it takes from communism, fascism and liberalism and mixes it all together. It's up to you the listener to make up your mind about it what it represents. Which is the antithesis of totalitarianism when you get down to it.

And THAT is puro subversive industrial music.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I think Rolling Stone killed the comments section of this article, I just see "Add A Comment" and nothing to click on or read.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

LabyaMynora posted:

I think Rolling Stone killed the comments section of this article, I just see "Add A Comment" and nothing to click on or read.

They still show up for me. Try switching browsers.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

teethgrinder posted:

The Birthday Massacre were SO loving GOOD.

First time I saw them, I thought they were loving incredible. Second & third time, the shows lacked a bit.

This time they played a relatively tiny venue and it was just too loving great. I regret having forgotten my proper camera, would have been amazing. I was only three rows back, and had a great view.

Bryan Erickson was apparently there too, but I didn't recognise him. Seeing VAC on Friday.
Their mid-career (so far) albums have some totally killer songs, ("Goodnight" is one of their best) but there was a lot that didn't quite click. They got their mojo back in a big way with Superstition though. "Diaries" especially brings out the teenage goth girl trapped inside my 30-year-old androgynous manbody.

I'm totally serious. I will start full-body headbanging.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Omi-Polari posted:

Their mid-career (so far) albums have some totally killer songs, ("Goodnight" is one of their best) but there was a lot that didn't quite click. They got their mojo back in a big way with Superstition though. "Diaries" especially brings out the teenage goth girl trapped inside my 30-year-old androgynous manbody.

I'm totally serious. I will start full-body headbanging.
I agree on all counts haha.

Aftermath day 1 notes:

In general the sound was unfortunately pretty lovely. Relatively small crowd for the venue, but i couldn't help that it's a 7 hour-ish show on a Thursday night. (I told my employers I would be late coming in this morning.) I was unfortunately unfamiliar with all the bands.

Peter Turns Pirate: caught the last few songs of his set. Not really much to say but he was sure putting his effort into it. Kind of hard to get stage presence when you're just a single person singing to backing tracks.

Alter Der Ruine: music sounded pretty good. But maaaaaaaaaaaan... dude could not hear his monitor. The entire set was completely out-of-tune and so awkward.

Ego Likeness: pleasant surprise! Loved their set. I'd seen the singer walking around all evening, 6' impossible blonde. Never occurred to me she'd be fronting one of the bands hah. Her voice was awesome, reminded me of Siouxsie a bit. The music was great too. Definitely queuing them up. I'd have bought their album, but they have like five. Look forward to listening though. One note, having two midi drummers was kind of strange heh.

FGFC820: I'd left the stage area by this point, but they didn't grab me. They were into it, and the frontman is great, but I just wasn't in the mood.

William Control: not bad at all, but again didn't grab me back to the stage.

The Dreaming: this was so loving random and weird and nostalgic. It was basically loving Stabbing Westward hahaha. My ears perked at What Do I Have To Do?. They closed with Save Yourself and that brought back so many memories of high school. I think it was my first MP3 ever, and I remember listening to it/watching it through Cthugha.

Bruderschaft were so loving good, despite me not being terribly impressed by FGFC820. The female singer was awesome, had a really cool voice with some power behind it. Then Daniel Myer came on and god drat he was great. He sounded better than ever.

I kind of drifted off at some point lost in thought, just enjoying the music, (also I'd only slept a few hours since Birthday Massacre the night before), and suddenly I realised he was singing Sparrows and the Nightingales. It then turned into Lucretia My Reflection. I wish I'd caught the earlier part of that medley. Someone posted this to the event page, showing where the medley thing started.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEMgstuNyXU

Finally was Leaether Strip. Pretty great, stayed for a few songs, but really needed to get some sleep.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
At Infest and loving it already!!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Please post all the songs Pitchfork played / will play on Sunday or whenever it happens. I need to know dem setlists. TIA

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 28, 2015

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Coincidentally wearing my Pitchfork shirt to Aftermath. In spirit!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

1. The turnout at Aftermath makes me sad. I can't see this continuing to happen.

2. Pitchfork t-shirt got me into a conversation with a friend-of-a-friend who has a few VHS tapes of Alpha Omega-era shows. Only they're in PAL, so she's never seen them. She's going you bring them over for me to digitize. Woot!

Swans t-shirt today. Was planning on Decoded Feedback, but they're actually here watching. Spotted Ayria yesterday. I think a TBM guy may be here bit I'm not sure; they don't stand out as much in this crowd.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 30, 2015

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
It's like 4~ hours post seeing Klangstabil and I'm still getting chills and aftershocks from it.

Don't think I've ever seen a music performance that is designed to get under your skin and make you feel it physically as well as emotionally.

Just, loving hell. Their sound and his pleading angry voice, like a hammer that shouts "whyyy" every time you use it .
The way they build intensity so slowly, subtely worming it's way in and before you know it there's a wall of sound battering down your defences.

Yeah. This is a wanky rear end post but... loving powerful. I don't think I've felt this strongly about a live performance in a long time.

Babby Sathanas fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 30, 2015

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

2. Pitchfork t-shirt got me into a conversation with a friend-of-a-friend who has a few VHS tapes of Alpha Omega-era shows. Only they're in PAL, so she's never seen them. She's going you bring them over for me to digitize. Woot!

Glowing Like Io 1994
Alpha Omega 1995
Live 99

I understand Spilles intended to have all the old tapes digitized some years back and rerelease them online / on DVD. Not sure what happened with that project. Might have been scrapped due to less-than-release-worthy audio quality or maybe I'm confusing it with something else.

Would love to see Va I Luce sometime, though. Who knows if anyone still has a working copy of that thing. Wouldn't be surprised if that particular tape was permanently lost at this point.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 30, 2015

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Future Days posted:

A guy in the Facebook KMFDM group found a CD full of Nihil/Cheesy demos, along with this little gem:

https://youtu.be/anxpWgQmT-o

Man, KMFDM used to be so good. This song is pretty good and I would love to hear the rest of these demos.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

A popular Finnish tabloid newspaper published an interview with Laibach.

This is a hosed up reality we live in.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Glowing Like Io 1994
Alpha Omega 1995
Live 99

I understand Spilles intended to have all the old tapes digitized some years back and rerelease them online / on DVD. Not sure what happened with that project. Might have been scrapped due to less-than-release-worthy audio quality or maybe I'm confusing it with something else.

Would love to see Va I Luce sometime, though. Who knows if anyone still has a working copy of that thing. Wouldn't be surprised if that particular tape was permanently lost at this point.
Thanks so much. Turns out all she had was Alpha Omega :(

Ah well, awesome weekend viewing.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

https://soundcloud.com/andrew-sega/iris-i-wanna-be-adored

:allears:

Found it on ID:YD's weekly wrap-up. They have a Cardinal Noire track to check out too.

Antagonism
Jul 28, 2010
So Infest happened.

Babby Sathanas posted:

It's like 4~ hours post seeing Klangstabil and I'm still getting chills and aftershocks from it.

Don't think I've ever seen a music performance that is designed to get under your skin and make you feel it physically as well as emotionally.

Just, loving hell. Their sound and his pleading angry voice, like a hammer that shouts "whyyy" every time you use it .
The way they build intensity so slowly, subtely worming it's way in and before you know it there's a wall of sound battering down your defences.

Yeah. This is a wanky rear end post but... loving powerful. I don't think I've felt this strongly about a live performance in a long time.

It may well be wanky but I completely agree - Klangstabil was easily the highlight of the weekend and "Schattentanz" will stay with me for a long time.

I also enjoyed Monolith and Project Pitchfork on Sunday night - the highlight was Peter Spilles joining the crowd during the last song, much to the horror of the security staff. (And CAT rear end now!!!, I'm not familiar enough with their music to post a setlist unfortunately. I only recognised "Timekiller" and "Existence" and I figure those are standard parts of their sets - someone else may be able to help here, or I'll post a setlist if one shows up.)

Perhaps it was because they came on after Klangstabil but I found mind.in.a.box to be completely underwhelming, although the general feeling in the Infest groups seems to be that they were awesome, so maybe it's just me.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Klangstabil, Mind.In.A.Box and Monolith were the ones that I really enjoyed. I liked what I saw of Ethan Fawkes but didn't watch all that much of his set.

Chant were kinda underwhelming although most of my friends loved them and while I sort of liked Bhambhamhara and their oddly hybrid sound that didn't quite fit any one genre, it wasn't something I wanted to watch a whole set of. I'm not a big Pitchfork fan so wasn't really feeling their set.

Cocksure were really good fun too, in a retro 90s industrial way.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I told y'all you'd loving love Klangstabil. That poo poo is crazy. Would personally love to see them again.

Antagonism
Jul 28, 2010

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Klangstabil, Mind.In.A.Box and Monolith were the ones that I really enjoyed. I liked what I saw of Ethan Fawkes but didn't watch all that much of his set.

Chant were kinda underwhelming although most of my friends loved them and while I sort of liked Bhambhamhara and their oddly hybrid sound that didn't quite fit any one genre, it wasn't something I wanted to watch a whole set of. I'm not a big Pitchfork fan so wasn't really feeling their set.

Cocksure were really good fun too, in a retro 90s industrial way.

I thought Chant was OK but they seem to have gone down really well with everyone else. My friends got chatting to them afterwards and apparently they were missing another drummer, and had left their drums in Texas and were using rented drums for Infest - might have to give them another listen.

And yeah, Cocksure were great fun, although hearing "Beers, Steers and Queers" at the end just made me think how much I'd like a full RevCo set.

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

I told y'all you'd loving love Klangstabil. That poo poo is crazy. Would personally love to see them again.

It's been nearly a week and I'm still blown away - I don't think I've seen much else as affecting and powerful.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

One of the oldest and most beloved goth scene clubs in Finland, SYN/\PSI (a bi-montly thing), will be having its 10-year-anniversary-slash-farewell party in Feb next year. They're bringing in Leaether Strip and both Hocico and Rabia Sorda plus an assortment of other bands, Finnish and international, for that last club. Might have to go, I guess. I never went to their parties because I'm not particularly interested in club music / dancing, but the lineup seems like something worth checking out.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
MIAB is one of my favorite bands, like top five of all time ever. But from the (scarce) clips I've seen they don't seem to have much stage experience. Their live sound appears to have improved a lot, but they seem like a group of kinda awkward, introverted dudes with no sense of style. Which makes sense because their music is all about introspective computer programs and the like.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Omi-Polari posted:

but they seem like a group of kinda awkward, introverted dudes with no sense of style.

Basically, yes. I've seen them a couple of times and they seem slightly less awkward onstage than they used to, but are still anxious-looking nerds. Which is sort of why I love them. It's a bit less ridiculous than scrawny IT professionals flexing and acting aggressive in an old-school EBM act.

spider_ross.avi
Jan 15, 2008

nnGUH
So i'm posting to say I saw ad ver sary play in portland on the 31st and I was super impressed and had an awesome time.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Tangentially on topic dilemma I face tomorrow night: I'm going to a monthly goth club night thing (my first) and the most appropriate thing I have to wear is a black polo shirt. Would shaving half my head to compensate for this make me look like I'm trying too hard?

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Just get a black tshirt jeez

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Tonsure - it's a good look.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Wizchine posted:

Then use hair product to shape a rock hard crown out of your tonsure. That's the hip scene look right now.

babyturnsblue
Jun 14, 2007

i used to dance before the discos came

Portable Staplefrog posted:

Would shaving half my head to compensate for this make me look like I'm trying too hard?

Yes. Just wear whatever, bonus points if it's black.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Portable Staplefrog posted:

Tangentially on topic dilemma I face tomorrow night: I'm going to a monthly goth club night thing (my first) and the most appropriate thing I have to wear is a black polo shirt. Would shaving half my head to compensate for this make me look like I'm trying too hard?

Platform boots, urban camo utilikilt, mesh top, respirator with LEDs built into it, goggles (two pairs, at least), and plastic attached to the remaining half of your hair. Nothing else will suffice.

Or just wear whatever you want and you can safely categorise the people who get huffy about you not wearing black alterna-conformist clothes as self-obsessed scenesters.

But pretty much anything plain black will do if you want to fit in. Can't go wrong with a black t-shirt.

Here's an acoustic Russian cover of Headhunter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63sDEYcyIJU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Here's a reminder that the best gothic-electro video ever is Blutengel on Mexican television channel TV Azteca.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2IVVobD1RE

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Wizchine posted:

Great idea! I found a black shirt, so I won't need it this time though.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

My younger brother is regularly the only person in the entire venue/club wearing a white or bright shirt. Owns it.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

teethgrinder posted:

My younger brother is regularly the only person in the entire venue/club wearing a white or bright shirt. Owns it.

This is what I do.
I grew out of my angst (I drank it away) so now I just wear whatever I have on and stick out in a black light.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I used to exclusively wear a pale yellow tank top that said golden boy on one side and "KMFDN" on the other side and let me tell you I got laid so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyturnsblue
Jun 14, 2007

i used to dance before the discos came

teethgrinder posted:

Last time I saw My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult there was a guy wearing a Hawaiian shirt. He stood out like a sore thumb, but he was rockin it.

Speaking of them, they're playing in Chicago and also Cold Waves with FLA is coming up. Then Skinny Puppy in Milwaukee. I have so many things to look forward to :D