Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

wa27 posted:

I haven't watched since the first night. Did he do this format on the 2nd and 3rd shows? I assumed the post-monologue, pre-interview slot would be a rotating bit like every other show, and that this was just one of the bits they would come back to every so often.

They did, and I like it.

Looks like the format now is 'Cold Open with a quick story for a monologue, force a joke before the opening like the old TCR, then go to the desk for a scripted topical bit in a pseudo-newsy format with jokes a lot more crafted and hilarious than standard 'ba-DUM-bum' monologue jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I love that he's still doing the "[State] Congressman, and man stuck in a haunted mirror, [Name]" jokes. :allears:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress me I would vote for Biden in a heartbeat after that interview. A man who doesn't want to be president but has the ability and will is the best anyone could ask or hope for as a leader.

Also, who else as had the theme stuck in their head for days?

also also, anyone notice the adorable tilt shift stephen on top of the building in the intro?

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 11, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

So far the show just comes across as a longer Colbert Report, quite frankly, which I'm totally fine with. The only thing that gives me a little whiplash is the second guest, it just seems excessive. Still, I think what Stephen has that most other talkshow hosts don't is boundless enthusiasm, it's hard to imagine him ever phoning anything in.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I saw that on Monday, Colbert's got Justice Breyer on the show. How common is it for sitting Supreme Court Justices to appear on talk shows?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

How common is it for sitting Supreme Court Justices to appear on talk shows?

Incredibly rare.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I saw that on Monday, Colbert's got Justice Breyer on the show. How common is it for sitting Supreme Court Justices to appear on talk shows?

Noted Ham Rove impersonator and Sith Lord Antonin Scalia does it a fair bit.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Hakkesshu posted:

So far the show just comes across as a longer Colbert Report, quite frankly, which I'm totally fine with. The only thing that gives me a little whiplash is the second guest, it just seems excessive. Still, I think what Stephen has that most other talkshow hosts don't is boundless enthusiasm, it's hard to imagine him ever phoning anything in.

I think the interview subjects create that whiplash feeling. Moving from bizarro Clooney chat to Jeb! felt a little weird to me. Transitioning from an emotional, earnest conversation with Biden to openly ridiculing the Uber bro was super jarring.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Naet posted:

I think the interview subjects create that whiplash feeling. Moving from bizarro Clooney chat to Jeb! felt a little weird to me. Transitioning from an emotional, earnest conversation with Biden to openly ridiculing the Uber bro was super jarring.

I bet the Malala/Kerry Washington show will be a laugh riot!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Clooney to JEB! wasn't a big issue for me. But There was no reason that the Biden Interview shouldn't have been the closer.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Dexo posted:

Clooney to JEB! wasn't a big issue for me. But There was no reason that the Biden Interview shouldn't have been the closer.

Well I think the Vice President would take precedence over a tech CEO.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Dexo posted:

Or just lasted the whole show.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Timby posted:

Incredibly rare.

Yeah, but Breyer is the shittiest of all Supreme Court Justices.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Cacator posted:

Well I think the Vice President would take precedence over a tech CEO.

Eh, Don't you usually put on the most important person last?

Or does Late Night TV do something different?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, but Breyer is the shittiest of all Supreme Court Justices.

This is some weak trolling, Irish Joe. You used to be good at this. What happened?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Dexo posted:

No, these shows always put the more famous person first.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Dexo posted:

Definitely different. The music acts are last, and they usually suck.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Cacator posted:

Oh, then nevermind I'm just dumb I guess.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nthing the love for the Biden interview and Colbert in general. Last Week Tonight may be the new king of political late night shows, but Colbert's knocking it out of the park with his guest bookings and evolutionary (though not particularly revolutionary) interpretation of the late night "format". If he continues in this vein I have no doubt he'll go down in the annals as one of the (or maybe even THE) greatest late night show hosts of all time.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Dexo posted:

Oh, then nevermind I'm just dumb I guess.

the first person always gets waaaay more time. it's usually first person, commercial, first person, commercial, second person, commercial, musical.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
If you have Epix, you can catch Craig Ferguson's new standup special.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Cacator posted:

Probably just in case people fall asleep watching halfway through. It is late, after all.

Also, that Biden interview was probably one of the best that Colbert has ever done. Period.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Stare-Out posted:

I love that he's still doing the "[State] Congressman, and man stuck in a haunted mirror, [Name]" jokes. :allears:

This.

Now I'm just hoping he somehow brings back Cheating Death.

Mister Kingdom posted:

If you have Epix, you can catch Craig Ferguson's new standup special.

What's it called?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

richardfun posted:

What's it called?

"Just Being Honest"

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Tim Cook is set for next Tuesday's Colbert. Is it just me, or is he attracting a MUCH different class of guests?

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

DivisionPost posted:

Tim Cook is set for next Tuesday's Colbert. Is it just me, or is he attracting a MUCH different class of guests?

I imagine booking such politically/socially/economically important guests is both a way of attracting as much of the Colbert Report crowd as possible and staking out a late-night niche. So far Stephen is shaping up to be some sort of anti-Fallon, which has to be intentional on the show's part.

edit: I can't remember a recent televised interview, especially on late night, that was as good as Colbert yesterday with Joe Biden. No other host other than Craig could be so honest and emotional with their guests. I don't know how anyone could have any doubts about how the show's going after that.

Chelb fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 12, 2015

prolapsed
Sep 9, 2015

Rollofthedice posted:

I imagine booking such politically/socially/economically important guests is both a way of attracting as much of the Colbert Report crowd as possible and staking out a late-night niche. So far Stephen is shaping up to be some sort of anti-Fallon, which has to be intentional on the show's part.

edit: I can't remember a recent televised interview, especially on late night, that was as good as Colbert yesterday with Joe Biden. No other host other than Craig could be so honest and emotional with their guests. I don't know how anyone could have any doubts about how the show's going after that.

Colbert seems much more authentic, when the rest of late night seems to just pander to a less intelligent crowd. Forgive me for saying this, but I think Colbert may be the "thinkin' man's" late night show, which is why he's been targeting the guests he has.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Colbert's Late Show has been so wonderful so far. It just produces so much joy. It is a joy factory.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

AsInHowe posted:

Colbert's Late Show has been so wonderful so far. It just produces so much joy. It is a joy factory.

Agreed here, man. It's unfortunate that it goes pretty late for those that work early in the morning, ending at 11:35 or 12:35am. Does anyone know if the free episodes online will keep going, or is it just a first month thing?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Hakkesshu posted:

I find its quite the contrary. It doesn't feel like the colbert report and the difference between Stephen Colbert and "Stephen Colbert" is quite readily apparent. It may be why I'm not that enthusiastic about it. I really loved the old show :(

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I haven't seen a whole episode yet, but the parts I saw I really liked the difference between his Report character and himself. He's a lot more open to speak his mind on a subject, rather than play the ridiculous conservative caricature.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Michael Scott posted:

Agreed here, man. It's unfortunate that it goes pretty late for those that work early in the morning, ending at 11:35 or 12:35am. Does anyone know if the free episodes online will keep going, or is it just a first month thing?

I'm pretty sure you'll always be able to catch last night's show the next day on CBS.com. Never had a problem when Dave was there.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

prolapsed posted:

Colbert seems much more authentic, when the rest of late night seems to just pander to a less intelligent crowd. Forgive me for saying this, but I think Colbert may be the "thinkin' man's" late night show, which is why he's been targeting the guests he has.

Carrying on the Letterman tradition, vs. the Leno tradition of pandering.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dalael posted:

I find its quite the contrary. It doesn't feel like the colbert report and the difference between Stephen Colbert and "Stephen Colbert" is quite readily apparent. It may be why I'm not that enthusiastic about it. I really loved the old show :(

His style of comedy is the exact same though even if he isn't overtly playing a character. I find there's little difference in the overall tone and mood of the two shows. I was absolutely dreading him taking over because I think the late night format breeds extreme laziness, like I never thought Letterman was very funny, and although I like Conan a lot he can be really hit or miss too.

We'll see how long it lasts, but Colbert was probably already the best talkshow host I've ever seen, this has been an extremely strong start. That whole Biden interview was some next level poo poo, and he did it on the third night. Best thing I can say is I wanna keep watching it, he's just so goddamn good.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Hakkesshu posted:

His style of comedy is the exact same though even if he isn't overtly playing a character. I find there's little difference in the overall tone and mood of the two shows. I was absolutely dreading him taking over because I think the late night format breeds extreme laziness, like I never thought Letterman was very funny, and although I like Conan a lot he can be really hit or miss too.

We'll see how long it lasts, but Colbert was probably already the best talkshow host I've ever seen, this has been an extremely strong start. That whole Biden interview was some next level poo poo, and he did it on the third night. Best thing I can say is I wanna keep watching it, he's just so goddamn good.

The biggest changes to me are how slow and drawn-out it feels, and how toothless the satire is so far. I like the bit that basically mimics the Report, but the monologue feels meandering and slow, and stuff like the demon salsa or giant fuzzy hat overstay their welcome. I like his interviews better now that he's out of character, though, so that's nice. He also has legitimately interesting people on. Hopefully that keeps up and he isn't forced to have more celebrities.

I'm warming up to the show, but I am worried that the Late Night formula isn't for me. It's good background noise, anyway. We'll see.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Bass Bottles posted:

The biggest changes to me are how slow and drawn-out it feels, and how toothless the satire is so far. I like the bit that basically mimics the Report, but the monologue feels meandering and slow, and stuff like the demon salsa or giant fuzzy hat overstay their welcome. I like his interviews better now that he's out of character, though, so that's nice. He also has legitimately interesting people on. Hopefully that keeps up and he isn't forced to have more celebrities.

I'm warming up to the show, but I am worried that the Late Night formula isn't for me. It's good background noise, anyway. We'll see.

This is him starting out. Let him workshop different bits and see what works. I wasn't a fan of the Fuzzy hat segment, but it's his first week.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Colbert, on a Friday? :monocle:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Von Sloneker posted:

Is this Margaritaville?

Try playing it at 2x speed. I was fast forwarding and holy poo poo, it was Margaritaville.

Also, that Biden interview is probably going to go down as one of the highlights of Colbert's run. It was just that good.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
A Paul Simon tribute band?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Zero One posted:

Colbert, on a Friday? :monocle:
What a time to be alive! :allears: