Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Force Gun is best gun. It's the closest we're gonna get to a shotgun in this game.

*E* Holy poo poo I lost it at the Death Reel. That was amazing, Kamoc.

IronSaber fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slycooper20
Feb 14, 2014

I AM REVOLVER OSHAWOTT
Gotta go with Force Gun.

Also, the meteor shooting segment sucks. I never managed to get the achievement for this.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hammond is great and I'll hear no words against him. :colbert:

Also, Force gun

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
Before engineering, Isaac had an interest in geology and took a few classes on the subject before grad school. Most of the laboratory days focused on taking apart the rocks and studying the inner parts for how they formed. One day in particular, Isaac was assigned to open up a mineral known as a heliotrope, often called a bloodstone because of the red spots spattered across it. But the one he was given had unusual yellow spots, which fell in the same category but had a different name. Unfortunately, the lab was short on tools so he had to delve into the disposable instruments bin to pick out a used specialty knife for rock splitting. After picking out the one he wanted, Isaac got to work and found that the incision instrument worked surprisingly well despite being second-hand. Because no one wanted it, he decided to keep it for himself to commemorate this special, yellow-spotted mineral.

So Isaac took out his labeler, punched in a couple words, and stuck the name "Plasma Cutter" on the knife.

slycooper20 posted:

Also, the meteor shooting segment sucks. I never managed to get the achievement for this.
I only wish I had a decent gaming PC to play this game when it first came out. Redoing this section over and over again on PS3 just for the trophy was the hardest thing to Platinum this game for me.

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

Go with the Force Gun because that thing is beautiful.

drowZebra
Jan 19, 2015

"Room full of zero G, I'mma dive"
I'm voting for the Contact Beam mainly because I want you to use the joke I wrote earlier.

[Sees enemy. Charges up Contact Beam.]
"Looks like I've just made..."
[Fires Contact Beam, obliterating the necromorph.]
"...First Contact."
[Three pairs of sunglasses descend onto Isaac's visor.]

(Also because the Contact Beam fuckin' owns.)
I also wanted to mention that the death reel was some top notch stuff, I must have re-watched it like 4 times.

drowZebra fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 9, 2015

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Voting Force Gun, as it's another weapon I never ever used.

evilmancer
Apr 21, 2014
I've never used the force gun, so I'm going with that.

Also you'd think that their would ad least to a jefferies tube or something leading to that room with the turret

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I always assumed the sparkly stuff rising out of the servers was a physical manifestation of data. We have telekinesis, why not deadly information beams?

I'm also kind of disappointed by the brute. It seems like Video Game Enemy #3 rather than something that feels like Dead Space. Most of the monsters fit sn archetype, I suppose, but they're the only type that I look at and think "oh, it's one of you."

contact bean

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kamoc, this shift in LP presentation is worth it to have people lose their poo poo over the death reels alone. Also the death reels are getting better every episode.

I put all the choices into an RNG and it gave me 4 so Contact Beam.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Geop might be thinking of Analogue, where you're basically a hacker that can only talk to AIs through popup boxes they make for you cause their poo poo's broken.

Plasma Cutter.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Geop might be thinking of Analogue, where you're basically a hacker that can only talk to AIs through popup boxes they make for you cause their poo poo's broken.

Plasma Cutter.
It was actually a mix of both Saint's Row 3 & Crysis 2! Never played/heard of Analogue

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Voting Force Gun, as it's another weapon I never ever used.

I'm going to mirror this vote

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

all the discussion about isaac having his voice muffled made me think about Muppets in Dead Space where Isaac is played by Beaker

all muppet babies instead of creepy human babies jumpscarin' you

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Are there baby necromorphs in this game, or was that only DS2? If there are, we need to use the Forcegun when they turn up.

Force gun is real good against babies.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You now have access to the loadout I ended up using the entire game.

Plasma Cutter
Pulse Rifle
Ripper Blade
Force Gun

I'm going to vote Force Gun. It's really really good despite people saying it's not.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

That deathreel gif above made me realize that Isaac's legs fly off like a squid. I always suspected this was secretly a Splatoon LP

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Lethemonster posted:

Are there baby necromorphs in this game, or was that only DS2? If there are, we need to use the Forcegun when they turn up.

Force gun is real good against babies.

We've already seen lurkers, but the baby bombs are DS2 only.

Also, call this a vote for the Force Gun because its alt fire is a grenade launcher, leading to many moments of 'aw gently caress' as you accidentally blow yourself up.

Kamoc
Oct 8, 2003

You cannot eat a purse.
Survey says...

Plasma Cutter: 2
Line Gun: 0
Pulse Rifle: 0
Contact Beam: 3
Force Gun: 10

Force Gun wins!

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Plasma Cutter and the Force Gun have been the weapons I kept to for my runs for both DS & DS2. Pistol and a Shotgun, what more does a person need?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

LashLightning posted:

Pistol and a Shotgun, what more does a person need?

Reminds me of this other favorite videogame of mine where you're a lone guy on a space station infested with horrors.

Yako
Jul 1, 2013
Just caught up on the LP. I've been enjoying it a lot so far, but I found last episode particularly inspirational.

Kamoc
Oct 8, 2003

You cannot eat a purse.

Yako posted:

Just caught up on the LP. I've been enjoying it a lot so far, but I found last episode particularly inspirational.

this is great just saying

Kamoc
Oct 8, 2003

You cannot eat a purse.
:siren: Can I borrow a second of your time to talk about becoming a Necromormon? :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKvcf7d4nRU

Alright, time to pick the next weapon! Choices are:
  • Plasma Cutter
  • Line Gun
  • Pulse Rifle
  • Contact Beam
Fisticuffs
Flamethrower
The Ripper
Force Gun

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
loving with things in Stasis will never not be funny.

Also I vote for Contact Beam.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
Bill Schnitt and Charlie Beam have been in engineering longer than Isaac has, and even entered the field around the same time. The difference between the two, however, was that Bill rarely lifted a finger to follow orders and Charlie always put in 110%. The supervisor wanted Bill gone, but had to keep him there because of his family connections to the business. Isaac was indifferent. At the end of a long day of a long week installing tune-ups to a power station, Isaac's crew was putting the finishing touches on their work. Charlie was called away on a family emergency during lunch, leaving the three of them to work. Bill excused himself to use the restroom, but sneaked off to the bar while Isaac and his supervisor had their backs turned. Right before they called it a day, a converter malfunction caused an explosion, damaging the hull, and resulted in damaged equipment.

"Dammit! We'll have to pull an all-nighter to get this mess fixed," growled the supervisor. "We're going to need another helping hand here, Isaac."

"Mmphrmp mmhmhmph?" Isaac asked through his helmet.

"No," the supervisor said. "We'll need an able-working man to retrieve the repair tools from the shop and here on the job, and Bill isn't him. Forget Schnitt! Contact Beam."

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

DialTheDude posted:

Bill Schnitt and Charlie Beam have been in engineering longer than Isaac has, and even entered the field around the same time. The difference between the two, however, was that Bill rarely lifted a finger to follow orders and Charlie always put in 110%. The supervisor wanted Bill gone, but had to keep him there because of his family connections to the business. Isaac was indifferent. At the end of a long day of a long week installing tune-ups to a power station, Isaac's crew was putting the finishing touches on their work. Charlie was called away on a family emergency during lunch, leaving the three of them to work. Bill excused himself to use the restroom, but sneaked off to the bar while Isaac and his supervisor had their backs turned. Right before they called it a day, a converter malfunction caused an explosion, damaging the hull, and resulted in damaged equipment.

"Dammit! We'll have to pull an all-nighter to get this mess fixed," growled the supervisor. "We're going to need another helping hand here, Isaac."

"No," the supervisor said. "We'll need an able-working man to retrieve the repair tools from the shop and here on the job, and Bill isn't him. Forget Schnitt! Contact Beam."

I just wanted to say I love you.

Also this is a great thread and LP.

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

We need bigger weapons. Contact Beam or bust.

Also, which of those actually gives the better pile of money if you sell the ammo drops? Is it this one or the line gun? I usually kept the contact beam for money instead.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I didn't actually use the the secondary fire for the force gun, I just shotgunned people in the face.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Fine, let's use the Contact Beam. Go big or go home.

pointy corpse
Jul 7, 2014

DialTheDude posted:

I don't really think that there could possibly be any need for voting after that, but Contact beam as well, just in case.

Kamoc
Oct 8, 2003

You cannot eat a purse.
And the next weapon is...
  • it's contact beam by a landslide

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

just wanted to say that i'm really enjoying the LP (even though I forget to vote for weapons).

This game is goofy as poo poo

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Gonna be a nerd here for a minute, but the question was asked in an earlier video but hasn't been addressed in the thread. Somebody way back in episode one asked how the shops worked and nobody seemed to have a good answer. The only thing that makes sense to me is that each shop is actually a fabrication system, and your credits are literal "credit" that you are using to purchase the raw materials from the ships stores in order to build the stuff you are requesting. When you sell something to the shop it is being disassembled into its individual components and the system gives you some credit in exchange for increasing its material stock. The gold and ruby circuit boards are worth what they are because those materials are limited in the ships storage.

So yes, when you upgrade your suit Isaac is stepping into an automated factory that is slapping additional parts onto his armor. This may seem like a really stupid idea, but given the alternative is taking the suit off for whatever length of time is required to do the upgrade, I think we can understand why Isaac just jumps in.

This has been your nerd minute. Looking forward to the next video.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

RickVoid posted:

Gonna be a nerd here for a minute, but the question was asked in an earlier video but hasn't been addressed in the thread. Somebody way back in episode one asked how the shops worked and nobody seemed to have a good answer. The only thing that makes sense to me is that each shop is actually a fabrication system, and your credits are literal "credit" that you are using to purchase the raw materials from the ships stores in order to build the stuff you are requesting. When you sell something to the shop it is being disassembled into its individual components and the system gives you some credit in exchange for increasing its material stock. The gold and ruby circuit boards are worth what they are because those materials are limited in the ships storage.

So yes, when you upgrade your suit Isaac is stepping into an automated factory that is slapping additional parts onto his armor. This may seem like a really stupid idea, but given the alternative is taking the suit off for whatever length of time is required to do the upgrade, I think we can understand why Isaac just jumps in.

This has been your nerd minute. Looking forward to the next video.

Sounds a decent enough idea. It also makes the whole situation creepier - they have a Company Store on the ship, which is pretty awful for workers' rights. I assume those space-bux get cashed for considerably less actual-buxs. The option to purchase "weapons" may actually be the workers paying for gear he company sees that have been broken due to misuse.

The schematics found could be just "access codes" for particular items - security are allowed to make a laser-rifle at anytime, but everyone else is limited to only what they need for their particular line of work. Isaac's just picking them up from bodies and giving himself the Admin Rights to produce them.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

LashLightning posted:

Sounds a decent enough idea. It also makes the whole situation creepier - they have a Company Store on the ship, which is pretty awful for workers' rights. I assume those space-bux get cashed for considerably less actual-buxs. The option to purchase "weapons" may actually be the workers paying for gear he company sees that have been broken due to misuse.

The schematics found could be just "access codes" for particular items - security are allowed to make a laser-rifle at anytime, but everyone else is limited to only what they need for their particular line of work. Isaac's just picking them up from bodies and giving himself the Admin Rights to produce them.

It's important to remember that barring a few like the pulse rifle all of Isaac's weapons are repurposed industrial and mining tools, not actual "weapons". So your average worker would have gone to the shop to pick up a new Plasma Cutter when his old one got busted up or whatever, or when he ran out of plasma energy.

But yeah, I agree with the micro/nano-forge hypothesis. It worked for Mass Effect and Red Faction, and it works here. Although really the actual answer is "space magic for the sake of having a game". And there's nothing wrong with that.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 28, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

One of my most favorite RPGs, Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, also explicitly had the shop as a fabrication lab. (You're on a self-sufficient spaceship-thing traveling through a dimensional vortex in Antarctica, full of demons, you gotta build as you go, haha. And demon money, Macca, turns out to be a great energy source!)

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

LashLightning posted:

Who What Now posted:

It's important to remember that barring a few like the pulse rifle all of Isaac's weapons are repurposed industrial and mining tools, not actual "weapons". So your average worker would have gone to the shop to pick up a new Plasma Cutter when his old one got busted up or whatever, or when he ran out of plasma energy.

But yeah, I agree with the micro/nano-forge hypothesis. It worked for Mass Effect and Red Faction, and it works here. Although really the actual answer is "space magic for the sake of having a game". And there's nothing wrong with that.

I was going to mention the schematics, but forgot when I was writing that up. Didn't see the Company Store angle when I typed that up, but it really does fit with everything else we see from the people who are in charge in the Dead Space games, doesn't it? This will be really evident in Dead Space 2, when we get around to it.

But yeah, "Nano-Machines, son" will always be the sci-fi answer to "It's magic, I don't gotta explain poo poo". :smug:

Edit: Someone draw fan art of Isaac, in a wife-beater and boxers, waiting outside of the store while his armor is being upgraded. A Necromorph looking on is optional, but encouraged.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 28, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yes, goofy voices for the Necromorphs make this group commentary just wonderful.

Well, that and physics engine bugs. And an LPer who knows the game well enough to find the weird bits. This is a riot and I wish you all possible speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamoc
Oct 8, 2003

You cannot eat a purse.
:siren: who farted :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn3dXJx8XVo

Choose our next guy-dier. We're really down to the basics now:
  • Plasma Cutter
  • Line Gun
  • Pulse Rifle
Fisticuffs