Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unusual
Nov 12, 2013

In Training posted:

Yo imagine a KyoAni version of Shirobako where they animated a 12 episode series about the making of the endless eight

I would watch the ever loving gently caress out of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
imagine space dandy where they got a different person to do every episodes style and plot, only it was the same story every time

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

darealkooky posted:

imagine space dandy where they got a different person to do every episodes style and plot, only it was the same story every time

wait a minute....

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

In Training posted:

Yo imagine a KyoAni version of Shirobako where they animated a 12 episode series about the making of the endless eight

I'd probably watch that.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

In Training posted:

Whoa........

Whoa.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

darealkooky posted:

Haha

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Holy poo poo we jumped by 14 loops.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

imagine haruhi suzumiya where we experience the same plot 8 times

BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT IS HAPPENING NERDS

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Look at how many cuts they had there

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

There is something HARUHI still needs to do on this vacation. Not Kyon. Haruhi.

...Man, if this were the end of the series I'd just say "resolveher romantic tension with Kyon" and walk away, but considering there's still a full story arc and a movie coming down the tubes, I just can't commit to that yet...

+500ish iterations. Also, I love that shot with the pillar dividing Yuki's side of the screen from the other three. She's just so loving miserable through this whole thing, and you can tell without her having to emote much or even be in these goddamn episodes for more than a minute or two at a time.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

In Training posted:

DON'T YOU loving TEASE ME

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

lol the cut to fisheye haruhi ftw

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Zas posted:

imagine haruhi suzumiya where we experience the same plot 8 times

BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT IS HAPPENING NERDS

nah man, this is the last one. you guys were just bullshitting all this time about the hilarious meme where you pretend this is eight episodes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

There is something HARUHI still needs to do on this vacation. Not Kyon. Haruhi.

...Man, if this were the end of the series I'd just say "resolveher romantic tension with Kyon" and walk away, but considering there's still a full story arc and a movie coming down the tubes, I just can't commit to that yet...

+500ish iterations. Also, I love that shot with the pillar dividing Yuki's side of the screen from the other three. She's just so loving miserable through this whole thing, and you can tell without her having to emote much or even be in these goddamn episodes for more than a minute or two at a time.

She exudes despair, it's crazy

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Lots of nice side profiles between Kyon and Yuki

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

The first time i saw endless eight, i didnt pay much attention to the music. It def makes the whole experience much much tense and strange.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

In Training posted:

I've always thought it was because she knew what was happening the whole time.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Okay, so now I'm thinking that it's actually counterproductive to try hard to do what Haruhi wants. It's too obvious. Instead, Kyon has to go the other way, analogous to how Shinji rejects instrumentality in end of evangelion. He has to withdraw from the group and take the opportunity to do his homework and some introspection. Then he can emerge from the other side as a wiser man, who follows his own direction, instead of slavishly following the whims of someone else.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

When I first saw endless eight I was convinced in like episode 6 or something a UFO would drop down from Mars and mess things up for 3 minutes or so. Alas...

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

VostokProgram posted:

Okay, so now I'm thinking that it's actually counterproductive to try hard to do what Haruhi wants. It's too obvious. Instead, Kyon has to go the other way, analogous to how Shinji rejects instrumentality in end of evangelion. He has to withdraw from the group and take the opportunity to do his homework and some introspection. Then he can emerge from the other side as a wiser man, who follows his own direction, instead of slavishly following the whims of someone else.

Are you suggesting somebody say no to Haruhi? Murderous.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

In Training posted:

When I first saw endless eight I was convinced in like episode 6 or something a UFO would drop down from Mars and mess things up for 3 minutes or so. Alas...

Honestly when I first saw this that would have been welcomed.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

In Training posted:

there's something so special about a minimalist character changing their actions in the most minute way possible, and yet telegraphing to everyone no matter how stupid that they are in a state of horror. rei ayanami was a great character but I think yuki nagato is better.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I think it's cool that while everyone else changes outfits constantly yuki basically always just wears the uniform

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

There is a running thing with the airplane in this episode, between the earlier shot, Mikuru's shirt, and the movie

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
That plane tho

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

"...My mission is to observe." :smith:

VostokProgram posted:

...Naah. I'm not feeling that. I mean, I've felt like this show has consistently had a minor theme of "Your Friends Are Awesome!" to it, it seems weird for a major arc like this to end in "hey, gently caress those guys, go do you for a while."

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

overalls!!!!

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Parallax posted:

There is a running thing with the airplane in this episode, between the earlier shot, Mikuru's shirt, and the movie

it doesn't go away for the rest of the series lol

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Even Yuki starts to wonder why she isn't doing anything to fix things, I think.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, come on, that shot with Haruhi whispering in someone's ear? Yeah, she wants to get with someone right the gently caress now.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zas posted:

there's something so special about a minimalist character changing their actions in the most minute way possible, and yet telegraphing to everyone no matter how stupid that they are in a state of horror. rei ayanami was a great character but I think yuki nagato is better.

Yuki works better because they commit to it more. Just screen time wise, Yuki went though hours and hours and hours of expressionless hell. Rei still pilots a drat alien killing robot, so it's harder for the character to remain emotionless in the audience's eye

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

it's pretty hosed up that japanese schools give you homework over the summer imo

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
So, the disc I'm watching on, that I burned in 2010, is missing an episode. I think it's episode 7. But I really don't know.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

darealkooky posted:

it's pretty hosed up that japanese schools give you homework over the summer imo

You didn't have any ??????

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Spiritus Nox posted:

Okay, come on, that shot with Haruhi whispering in someone's ear? Yeah, she wants to get with someone right the gently caress now.

Well yeah, Haruhi is definitely the thirstiest in the show.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That said, "you could try smiling" is one of the best moments in anime

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

darealkooky posted:

IIRC in Japan summer vacation isn't when they get promoted a grade, it's just a long vacation in the middle of the school year for them

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

We did it, halfway though!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

darealkooky posted:

I had homework over summer break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Six Years Ago posted:

As for Ep 15: .................gently caress

No, no, they didn't, they couldn't have...

quote:

Jesus Christ you're loving kidding me. :psyduck:

quote:

Skimmed through the episode, most stuff seems the same aside from some scenes taking less time, different clothing/hairstyles, and watching a movie. Goddammit.
(Someone then helpfully corrects him that they went to see a movie in E8-1.)

quote:

I think that the next logical step would be for Kyoani to simply broadcast a still shot of goatse for 25 minutes in Haruhi's timeslot. I wonder how many DVDs of that would get bought.

quote:

I don't know why we're spoilering this tbh but what the hey It needs to be 13 episodes. Seriously at this point they need to make every remaining new episode an Endless Eight ep. They've had three years to plan S2, if I were them that's exactly how I'd do it, then release a legitimate season in the Fall. They've only taken up two stories worth of space so far, so there's plenty material for a third season left.

quote:

Maybe this is like Season 1.5? It's just a big tease getting up really pumped for the real season 2 which will be in three years

SIX AND COUNTING :(

quote:

This isn't really clever or funny anymore.

Also around this time is when various conspiracy theories start getting posted about Kadokowa, Kyoani, sponsors, and the director.

• Locked thread