Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pinterest Mom posted:

I read this sentence and thought of you, thread.

"Moving on, Shyamalan would go on to make “The Happening.” The twist in this movie is that Mark Wahlberg was casted to play a person qualified to teach children about science. "

i too read this article, it was pretty funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
My cat almost likes to play fetch. I'll throw his toy mouse and he'll bring it back to my feet and excitedly wait for me to throw it again.

Except half the time he forgets to bring it back and just comes back and waits.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

"was casted"?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Asiina posted:

My cat almost likes to play fetch. I'll throw his toy mouse and he'll bring it back to my feet and excitedly wait for me to throw it again.

I have a cat that does this, except I don't think it forgets to bring the thing back. It is otherwise dumb.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I don't appreciate you all insulting my intelligence.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Everyone who has whined in this thread recently about "how do we get new players" needs to sign up for this game because it has multiple brand new players and they'll never come back if they don't get to play a game in the first place.

I cannot as I have seen the setup.

Also remember to people signing up for the game:
- Don't be jerks to them just because they're new. Walk the line between being helpful but not condescending.
- Let them take the lead on cases. Don't let it just be all of us posting a ton and they're quietly on the sidelines.
- Don't bring up our stupid in-jokes and rivalries. There's no greater way to feel left out than that.

It's hard because it requires a more deliberative posting style than in a normal game but them's the breaks.

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

I am the Cheese! I am the best character on the show! I am better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined!

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

I think they're even less likely to come back if I sign up :>

Hey. I joined two more games after playing with you.

Just saying.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

diqnol my first game was with you

it was a highlight part for me, you're great

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I was hella condescending to lj and she's stuck around~

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

EccoRaven posted:

- Don't bring up our stupid in-jokes and rivalries. There's no greater way to feel left out than that.

It's hard because it requires a more deliberative posting style than in a normal game but them's the breaks.

IDK, I liked the idea of joining a community that seemed to have fun with each other.

IMO don't adjust your playstyle for new people aside from accommodating the fact that they're going to be a little more directionless and don't screw them early on. If your posting style is really so offensive to new people, it's probably also offensive to everybody else.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Pinterest Mom posted:

the difference though is LJ already likes mafia. the players in the mad max game don't know yet.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

IDK, I liked the idea of joining a community that seemed to have fun with each other.
having fun with each other is important yes but there is a line where newer players are totally clueless and could not care less about our whatevers, and it's important to be mindful of it.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

EccoRaven posted:

having fun with each other is important yes but there is a line where newer players are totally clueless and could not care less about our whatevers, and it's important to be mindful of it.

I read a bunch of games before I joined and I cared a lot about this community's whatevers. I had also never played mafia before!

I don't know, if people don't like the community they probably won't sign up for many more games. I know there are people who play games without posting in this thread but it's just my two cents that you just have to play to stop being clueless. It doesn't take long.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

BottleKnight posted:

I don't know, if people don't like the community they probably won't sign up for many more games.
that's actually my point.

literally all of my points above can be summarized as "just be mindful." I am surprised this is controversial.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

literally all of my points above can be summarized as "just be mindful." I am surprised this is controversial.

then we reach the same point from two different thoughts.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

busb posted:

i just watched mad max fury road.

it was mediocre

What didn't you like about it busb? or rather, what did you find mediocre?

I'd like to hear your thought on the effects, which I thought were incredible!

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
Don't worry, I'm in that game and I will show the newbies how it's done. Muah ha ha ha :lumpen:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

BottleKnight posted:

then we reach the same point from two different thoughts.

well your thought was "if they don't want to be left out they should read a bunch of games first like I did" which isn't very reasonable.

Our Fair Community (self included) just has a tendency, in practice, to be jerks to newer players (generally inadvertently). Some players buck up and stick around, but others don't, and that sucks. So as with many things in life it's important to be deliberative and mindful about the things we say and do.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

EccoRaven posted:

I guess it just sounded like you were saying you had to go out of your way or something. Like there's no need to represent the community as different than it is.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I never felt like people were rude to me or anything when I first joined and also I don't feel like I'm ever rude to new players but that's just my experience I guess.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

well your thought was "if they don't want to be left out they should read a bunch of games first like I did" which isn't very reasonable.

Our Fair Community (self included) just has a tendency, in practice, to be jerks to newer players (generally inadvertently). Some players buck up and stick around, but others don't, and that sucks. So as with many things in life it's important to be deliberative and mindful about the things we say and do.

Do you think people are more rude to new players than they are to normal players?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Just a PSA for even the veterans out there, don't take games super personally but also don't act like a shithead.

Thanks

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I never felt like people were rude to me or anything when I first joined and also I don't feel like I'm ever rude to new players but that's just my experience I guess.
It's usually more subtle things, like have you ever noticed newer players get a lot of heat thrown their way early in the game for no particular reason? Or alternatively people dismiss their opinions as "well you're wrong (maybe scum?) but you're new so you get a Day One Newbie Pass *ignores them*"?

We also toss around terms and ideas a lot without explaining them, and of course bring up meta a ton and treat it as sacrosanct ("it's my meta to do X" "it's not their meta to do Y").

It's fine to do those things but be mindful that you're doing it, and that, to a newer player who isn't necessarily receptive to mafia itself, those things are subtle ways to make you feel less welcome and have a less fun time overall. This might require "going out of your way" a little but it's not difficult as long as you're aware of what you're doing.

That's all I have to say about this.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I agree that people going hard after new players is ridiculous btw, I can't stand that and it's happened in some of the games I was playing in earlier. That said, I think some of the things like not making inside jokes and explaining all sorts of stuff is a unneeded.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Kashuno posted:

don't act like a shithead.

But then we wouldn't be playing mafia :confused:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Kashuno posted:

Just a PSA for even the veterans out there, don't take games super personally but also don't act like a shithead.

Thanks

Being a shithead owns

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Have faith in people to not be babies :sun:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I mean it's par the course to be an rear end in mafia, but I think at some point it can be a bit much.

Also I just don't want to read pages of people name calling because that is boring.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
mafia makes me cry

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Just always be thinking WWOD?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

mr.capps posted:

mafia makes me cry

It is very similar to your odor, yes.

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

I am the Cheese! I am the best character on the show! I am better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined!

Pinterest Mom posted:

Meh. I tried to kill you for like four days, so it's not like I was completely innocent.

But it's ok because I stabbed Lumpen. It was really cathartic. I'll have to give him poo poo about it the next time I see him.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

mr.capps posted:

mafia makes me cry

caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaappppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppsssssssssssss :neckbeard:

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Asiina posted:

My last cat did the same thing! Except she eventually learned to throw the toy mouse herself, and just started doing that instead. Throw it, run and grab it, bring it next to me, then throw it herself again.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

ljtrigirl posted:

Meh. I tried to kill you for like four days, so it's not like I was completely innocent.

But it's ok because I stabbed Lumpen. It was really cathartic. I'll have to give him poo poo about it the next time I see him.
I was just doing my job, it's just business. The way I played took my team far. The key to being Scum is to always be ~almost~ the most viable lynch, but not quite, otherwise it gets hard to explain why you didn't die at night. Read the parts of the ScumDoc where we were handling Diqnol.

You played a god game, you correctly had me pegged from almost the start, and you were a big threat. I was acting as sort of a ringleader in Scum planning, and made a choice to keep you in longer than I might have if it wasn't your first game. When we killed Keane it was almost you instead, which would likely have made it a Flawless victory since Mithross was Watching Keane which screwed TMM, and you ended up 'pooning me rather than using the Healing Vial as we hoped you would the next night. I'm glad you at least had the satisfaction of nailing a Scum singlehanded your first game :)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

And the Mad Max game begins. Let's see how quickly the newbies get scared off.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lumpen posted:

I was just doing my job, it's just business. The way I played took my team far. The key to being Scum is to always be ~almost~ the most viable lynch, but not quite, otherwise it gets hard to explain why you didn't die at night. Read the parts of the ScumDoc where we were handling Diqnol.

You played a god game, you correctly had me pegged from almost the start, and you were a big threat. I was acting as sort of a ringleader in Scum planning, and made a choice to keep you in longer than I might have if it wasn't your first game. When we killed Keane it was almost you instead, which would likely have made it a Flawless victory since Mithross was Watching Keane which screwed TMM, and you ended up 'pooning me rather than using the Healing Vial as we hoped you would the next night. I'm glad you at least had the satisfaction of nailing a Scum singlehanded your first game :)

Nah, if TM hadn't been caught you would have definitely been lynched that day.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Popeye with Robin Williams is a good movie. Check it out

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

SirSamVimes posted:

And the Mad Max game begins. Let's see how quickly the newbies get scared off.
we already scared them off sorry

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

Lumpen posted:

Yeah. I considered using a vial on Hiip, but I figured I'd still die and then my harpoons would get taken by other people.

I'm still amused that you blocked me from stabbing QPQ thinking I'd stab you, which I then ended up doing two nights later. :P