Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Well I'm calling it a night. See you later, thread.

Also, if you read this zas, are you in California? Or is it coincidence? :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Parallax posted:

i need to watch more of his stuff, all i've seen is the hole, dragon inn, and those monk movies

stray dogs is on netflix us if you have it. its probably his most obtuse movie so far, but you've already seen some of his other stuff and seem to have a film degree so i presume accessibility is not an issue. he had a huuuuuuuge retrospective at museum of the moving image in april so i presume western release of some of the harder to find stuff will happen soon

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 12, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Love the name change.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Radio Spiricom posted:

stray dogs is on netflix us if you have it. its probably his most obtuse movie so far, but you've already seen some of his other stuff and seem to have a film degree so i presume accessibility is not an issue. he had a huuuuuuuge retrospective at museum of the moving image in april so i presume western release of some of the harder to find stuff will happen soon

I really hope so. It'd be nice if they got criterion releases, but I've heard the criterion people are biased against asian film other than pre-80s japan

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

ya criterion has been teasing a release of ed yang's a brighter summer day for like a decade now and its never gonna happen

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

It'll be a good 24 hours, as I'm driving out of town to see Love Live! The School Idol Movie tomorrow, but I will do my best if the need has not been addressed.

I need this in my life so bad

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Thank you. If you had to suggest one film that I watch - while sober (which I am not right now) - what would it be?

Like, any movie, period? It would have to be Andrei Tarkovsky's Stalker, the best film ever made.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Radio Spiricom posted:

the mirror, directed by andrei tarkovsky

Wow, incredible

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

In Training posted:

Like, any movie, period? It would have to be Andrei Tarkovsky's Stalker, the best film ever made.

Two movies by the same director. Powerful.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Radio Spiricom posted:

Rebels of the Neon God recently got a remaster and screening cycle, so I imagine more of his work is to follow. Btw, stray dogs is an insanely difficult film to watch, and barely a film in an exciting way, so watch at your own risk if that sounds off putting

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Two movies by the same director. Powerful.

He's the most creative and beautiful artist to ever work in the medium, and he died at an extremely young age from lung cancer. He's the Satoshi Kon of real movies

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

In Training posted:

He's the most creative and beautiful artist to ever work in the medium, and he died at an extremely young age from lung cancer. He's the Satoshi Kon of real movies

drat, between this and Dostoevsky and Tolstoy, I'm proud to be part Russian.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

In Training posted:

I'll throw in a rec for Ivan's Childhood. It's maybe a lesser film than the other two (I haven't seen the Mirror though) but it's still good and beautiful

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Parallax posted:

I'll throw in a rec for Ivan's Childhood. It's maybe a lesser film than the other two (I haven't seen the Mirror though) but it's still good and beautiful

That movie is especially cool considering how much political censorship it was under

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
Back when this aired, I stopped really watching EE after episode 4, and by the 7th episode I didn't know why I bothered even downloading the subs. I wasn't particularly angry, just kind of bored of the whole thing.

I did, however, always stay caught up with the thread, because reading about EE and other people reacting to it was so, so much better than watching it. Reading the EE posts itt have also been fun, but shamefully I still haven't watched all of it myself.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

VostokProgram posted:

Also, if you read this zas, are you in California? Or is it coincidence? :tinfoil:

yep, god is just toying with us in preparation for the great smiting

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Agronox posted:

hahaha people are feigning power outages now to drop out.

Sorry guys there's a tornado gotta go

hey buddy fuuuuck you

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Radio Spiricom posted:

ok i've had like 8 vodka sodas and i'm basically a layman when it comes to this sort of thing but it implicates the viewer twice over.

in the same way that vertigo and rear window both attempt to make the observer into a director and a voyeur respectively endless eight essentially renders the viewer into to the role of the most passive observer possible in the show which is yuki. the viewer who commits to watching endless eight in its entirety is stripped of all their agency and short of not watching there is nothing they can do to free themselves from it. the viewer has to endure the same thing over and over in different iterations just like the characters and essentially become complicit in perpetuating the cycle of time repeating itself by continuing to watch episode after episode. most of these points are made explicity in koizumi's monologue in each episode but another interesting aspect to me about it is that the only people that are privy to the fact that time is repeating itself are the sos brigade members because they are the people who know haruhi the best, sort of acting as a cipher for the viewers again.

further, as both me and in training addressed earlier, the show is essentially about using the most stereotypical and empty anime tropes in an effort to lay bare just how empty and pointless anime as a whole is. endless eight does this by giving the viewer eight episodes of the same thing. in a way its similar to the way that evangelion self destructs the longer that the show continues--its constantly pulling the rug out from under the viewers feet and playing on the viewers expectations of how anime is supposed to function. these shows both take fanservice-y elements and turn them to the breaking point essentially saying to the viewer "this is what you want, but what you want is garbage." the reason that most people come to watch anime is for relaxation or escape from reality. for comfort. but something like endless eight provides the viewer with this initially and then destabilizes it by providing it over and over. its sort of beckettian in a way. when things get too real or realistic they become absurd. and further, the escape from reality that endless eight provides is nothing more but the ultimate reality (a cliche checklist of summer fun, what could be more boring?) lots of "boring" shows do this of course but none to the extent that haruhi does with endless eight.

earlier in the thread i tried to connect the first season to the films of tsai ming-liang with this quote

which i think rings true about haruhi in the gestalt (both seasons of the show + disappearance) but here is another quote that i think rings particularly true about endless eight

hey cool thanks

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

also based on the post # ITT I would say your 9/11 plan worked very well, in training

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Zas posted:

also based on the post # ITT I would say your 9/11 plan worked very well, in training

yeah

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

In Training posted:

big andrei rublev fan here. the bell making sequence :worship:

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

love that cloud

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Spiritus Nox posted:

...You shouldn't be allowed to draw 15 year olds this way. No sir. It's not right. That is downright dangerous.

That said: drat.
You shouldn't be allowed to post like this.

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I eagerly await the reactions of first timers when we break out of this.

Caught up. To think it was that simple, geez.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Argona posted:

Kyon-kun, headbang~
Now that we're through the episodes I can post the best E8 AMV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1y2s9vFudg

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
So I posted in this thread right before I went to work just as the live watch was about to get underway. Now I get home and see that this thread has progressed 1042 posts since then. I haven't read any of them yet, but I am excited to see how many of those posts consist entirely of "Kyonkun denwa" and "We have entered an endless recursion of time".

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

It's getting a bit ridicultous.

That's a top tier wallpaper.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Itzena posted:

Now that we're through the episodes I can post the best E8 AMV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1y2s9vFudg

This owns

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

In Training posted:

If I watch this again, what should I focus on/ look out for?

A bunch of my idiot friends and I watched this back in 2007 because we'd heard that Shadows of Chernobyl was loosely based on it, and we weren't that impressed at the time (If I recall correctly... again, I watched it a long time ago and it didn't leave that much of an impression watching it in a social setting)

As for movies to watch sober, as long as we're discussing older depressing films, I'd throw in The Hustler from 1961. Moving story, well-acted and well-written.

I hope whoever greenlit the stupid sequel ("The Color of Money, 25 years later) has since died a painful and humiliating death.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

How did you do the date thing in the bottom left corner and can I change the girl

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

ok gonna go back and finish the 2nd half (thanks california!)

actually I've probably watched the EE in one sitting more often than any other way, so it might be good to try something new.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

first gif in commemoration

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

one I made last night (excuse the ugly border)

it's fun. gonna have to restrain myself

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Zas posted:

it's fun. gonna have to restrain myself

It's very fun :D

Thanks for the gifs

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3nvBE-9_yc

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Linnaeus posted:

How did you do the date thing in the bottom left corner and can I change the girl
its probably a rainmeter skin

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Yeah I figured that out and found a haruhi one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

• Locked thread