Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yep, not a hoax. Building nukes is a giant heroism hit.

The way they play on FOBs is kind of amazing though. It's literal nuclear deterrence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

CJacobs posted:

It's not a hoax.

Farts.

Arstan
May 30, 2012

Thanks Cinco

Byzantine posted:

Infamous 1 and 2 own. I like them more than Arkham City, even.

Infamous 1 does not hold up very well. Infamous 2 and Second Son/First Light are super great, though.

The Captain America game from a few years ago, Captain America: Super Soldier, is pretty underrated. The combat is very Arkham-like, but they do a great job of adapting it to the character. And (unlike pretty much every other Marvel game) they got the voices and likenesses of the actors from the film. It even serves as a neat side story to the film, giving some quality time to untapped villains like Baron Strucker and Madame Hydra.

A little thing I really love is how the game lets you know an enemy is still in the fight. As long as their helmet is still on, they'll keep coming, but once their helmet falls off, you know they're out for good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The guys who directed Cap 2 have said they used that game as an influence for Cap's fighting style.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arstan posted:

Infamous 1 does not hold up very well. Infamous 2 and Second Son/First Light are super great, though.

The Captain America game from a few years ago, Captain America: Super Soldier, is pretty underrated. The combat is very Arkham-like, but they do a great job of adapting it to the character. And (unlike pretty much every other Marvel game) they got the voices and likenesses of the actors from the film. It even serves as a neat side story to the film, giving some quality time to untapped villains like Baron Strucker and Madame Hydra.

A little thing I really love is how the game lets you know an enemy is still in the fight. As long as their helmet is still on, they'll keep coming, but once their helmet falls off, you know they're out for good.

Captain America: SS is one of the better Arkham combat clones. It's mostly the non-combat stuff that is weak. It's still pretty fun to play and it actually has better boss fights than the Arkham games and a pretty good way of handling ranged enemies.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Byzantine posted:

Infamous 1 and 2 own. I like them more than Arkham City, even.

Cole MacGrath is not Storm, Thor, Virgil Hawkins, Captain Marvel or any superhero I've heard of. :colbert:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Spider-Man 2 was awesome for its time. The first one with free swinging. I remember spending hours just swinging around and geeking out about it.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

muscles like this? posted:

The guys who directed Cap 2 have said they used that game as an influence for Cap's fighting style.

I need to check this game out because I absolutely loved Cap's fighting style in 2 (and was subsequently disappointed in how it was handled in Age of Ultron), and it's awesome that the directors were inspired by it.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
This thread is making me want to get MGS5. If I've literally never played any of them before (I might have played the original Metal Gear on the NES way back when), will I be lost?

For content, I picked up Dragon Age: Inquisition, and having Varric hurry up and finish writing the next book of his romance novels for Cassandra was awesome. So many great interactions so far in this game.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

JPrime posted:

This thread is making me want to get MGS5. If I've literally never played any of them before (I might have played the original Metal Gear on the NES way back when), will I be lost?
Somewhat, but the gameplay is so amazing that it's worth it anyway. I'd suggest playing Ground Zeroes at a minimum first, though.

MGSV does well enough at giving you a quick rundown at the start to get you up to speed, but I think being more familiar with the previous games makes certain plot points more impactful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JPrime posted:

For content, I picked up Dragon Age: Inquisition, and having Varric hurry up and finish writing the next book of his romance novels for Cassandra was awesome. So many great interactions so far in this game.

You'll be a little lost but there's a self-contained story which amounts to "kill the rear end in a top hat with the spooky face" and the meta-story is convoluted enough that even fans kinda don't get it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PunkBoy posted:

I need to check this game out because I absolutely loved Cap's fighting style in 2 (and was subsequently disappointed in how it was handled in Age of Ultron), and it's awesome that the directors were inspired by it.

They're doing Cap 3 and the next Avengers movie so safe to say it will be back to that.

JPrime posted:

Ground Zeroes would probably be a good starting point since it has a ton of the backstory baked in and it is made on the same engine so it plays the same, unlike the earlier ones which are kind of all over the place.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Once again; there's no need to play Ground Zeroes as it's routinely summarized multiple times in 5.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

muscles like this? posted:

Ground Zeroes would probably be a good starting point since it has a ton of the backstory baked in and it is made on the same engine so it plays the same, unlike the earlier ones which are kind of all over the place.

Yeah GZ has a enough of the characters present - and some heard over the radio- that you'll get the gist of who's who and which side they're on. This is the first Metal Gear game where the story takes a backseat and the gameplay is the main focus so don't sweat it if you don't pick up on certain name drops.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Lady Naga posted:

Once again; there's no need to play Ground Zeroes as it's routinely summarized multiple times in 5.

A gold bionic arm and the possibility of having Hideo Kojima in your staff early on.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Calaveron posted:

A gold bionic arm and the possibility of having Hideo Kojima in your staff early on.

It's a travesty that you can't play as Hideo by assigning him to the Combat Team :sigh:.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Spider-Man 2 was awesome for its time. The first one with free swinging. I remember spending hours just swinging around and geeking out about it.

I'm still bitter that every subsequent Spiderman game completely disregarded those swinging mechanics. Instead you get 60's cartoon spider man throwing up web lines into thin air and swinging on them.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a travesty that you can't play as Hideo by assigning him to the Combat Team :sigh:.

There is always mods.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkKSXB4KMHI

nael
Sep 10, 2009
In MGSV I showed up at work without showering for a long time. Everyone looked disgusted and then my boss chewed me out and threw a bucket of water on me. Just like in real life.

I also managed to recruit a guy named Bastard Crab.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Everything regarding Storvacker in the Jaws DLC for Dragon Age Inq.

Too grizzly to bear.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I just started MGSV, and besides being fairly certain I hallucinated the entire opening, here's one thing that stood out to me. During that opening, some huge loving dude who is on fire for some reason keeps following you. During one of the cutscenes, the beat from the Terminator theme plays. It isn't very subtle if you've ever watched a movie, but it really sets the scene.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

JPrime posted:

I'm in the same boat and got it anyways, but I'm getting along fairly well. If you google for it there a few summaries by some gaming sites that give a reasonable overview over the broad strokes of the world, though not the particulars. Additionally, there are a whole bunch of background tapes ingame (that you can actually listen to while playing) that additionally expound on certain characters and concepts.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
As someone who is having their first Big Boss experience with MGS5, I haven't had too much difficulty coming up to speed based on the exposition tapes and so on. I don't care about certain characters quite as much as the game wants me to, but I'm following their motivations and so on fairly effectively.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
During the first mission in MGS5 I was worried that I'd leave my horse behind when I got onto the helicopter at the end. Turns out the horse has its own Fulton balloon.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

How is that even remotely a spoiler?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

During the first mission in MGS5 I was worried that I'd leave my horse behind when I got onto the helicopter at the end. Turns out the horse has its own Fulton balloon.

All your vehicles and Buddies Fulton out at the end. Unless they're climbing into the Helicopter alongside you, of course.

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
Literally picked up MGSV just now because you guys and the rest of the Internet broke my resolve. I can't wait to get home and bask in Kojima's insanity. :allears:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

biosterous posted:

How is that even remotely a spoiler?

It's not a spoiler but it's really funny if you didn't expect it and I didn't want to spoil the surprise.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

This. I still have swinging dreams. And finally unlocking all your stunt tricks is the best. Finally jumping off the Empire State Building (which I think is the only building high enough to do this) and pulling off your whole stunt routine was something.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Found a collection of neat little throwbacks and easter eggs in Nintendo games by a youtuber: https://www.youtube.com/user/GameXplain/search?query=cool+bits

50+ videos, most around 2-3 mins long

Jinh has a new favorite as of 00:56 on Sep 14, 2015

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

All your vehicles and Buddies Fulton out at the end. Unless they're climbing into the Helicopter alongside you, of course.

It took me a bit to realize the vehicles did. I kept wasting GMP on them.

Johntalouette
Oct 30, 2013
I just started playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution. You can pass safely though laser grids if you drag the body of a guard who has the appropriate pass with you. You can also chug a bottle of whiskey you found in a garbage can right before crushing a cop with a dumpster and starting a firefight.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Holy poo poo the weapon customisation in MGS5 is great. I just completed the anti tank rifle line in R+D and took the expanded magazine and silencer from the top bolt action one and slapped them straight onto the cheaper but faster semi auto one to use at no extra cost.
Also when you get a little down the grenade launcher line and have assault rifles with the right attachment slot (which can also be modded onto nearly anything with the right barrel) you can slap the grenade launcher onto the rifle.

Almost everything you research adds a new set of components you can play with on other weapons.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

If you're playing MGSV and this isn't your base logo then I just don't know what to say.

(Also oh god the Fist of Jehuty is a hell of an arm)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mine was "WHITE WOMEN" with a menacing Moai head but my girlfriend made me change it.

It's now a dude getting Fultoned with the words "BOY SNATCHER"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Flint_Paper posted:

If you're playing MGSV and this isn't your base logo then I just don't know what to say.

(Also oh god the Fist of Jehuty is a hell of an arm)

I was disappointed that it's just a paint scheme and lacks Jehuty's second thumb.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Have you equipped it, taken aim and fired at someone? Because you really should do that before you get too disappointed.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Mine was "WHITE WOMEN" with a menacing Moai head but my girlfriend made me change it.

It's now a dude getting Fultoned with the words "BOY SNATCHER"

My previous ones have been NAKED TANGO, MIKE SNATCHER, and my current is WHISKEY EATER. I'll change to something better soon but I'm proud to a degree of MIKE SNATCHER.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

graybook posted:

but I'm proud to a degree of MIKE SNATCHER.

Kanye??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Mokinokaro posted:

It took me a bit to realize the vehicles did. I kept wasting GMP on them.

Well, now I know!