Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
HiipFire, do you think I'll flip Scum or are you just displaying your dislike? Be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Alright, so right now it seems like this is a game of guess which vote on Lumpen is scum.

I'm going to go with this one:

##vote Kashuno

This is not my standard joke vote on Kashuno. I think he is actually scum this game.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

Lumpen posted:

HiipFire, do you think I'll flip Scum or are you just displaying your dislike? Be honest.

idk i think you're more likely to flip than anyone else rn

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

HiipFire posted:

idk i think you're more likely to flip than anyone else rn
Fair enough. That's at least a more honest seeming response than Rarity or kashuno.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Lumpen posted:

Fair enough. That's at least a more honest seeming response than Rarity or kashuno.

Lumpen, if you could vig three people right now, who would they be?

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rarity, which 2 people would you want to see as the 2 new white cast members of Empire

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

imgay posted:

Rarity, which 2 people would you want to see as the 2 new white cast members of Empire

Opop as a white rapper would be glorious

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

My names Opop and I think it's time
To listen to a funky rhyme

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Opopanax posted:

My names Opop and I think it's time
To listen to a funky rhyme

So you have time to show up as soon as you're mentioned in a joke post but you don't have time to have opinions?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah that's right. I'm at a resort for the weekend and just checking in now while the girls are at the spa

Also I have opinions, you're thinking of the Buddy game. I'm voting lumpen and am quite happy with that.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Also I always have time for jokes, rarity. Always

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Opopanax posted:

Also I always have time for jokes, rarity. Always

It's always a good idea to have some you time!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ernie. posted:

It's always a good idea to have some you time!

Exactly. While they are getting massages and pedicures, I am packing, paying the rather large bill. Making low hanging dad jokes is my relaxation time.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Lumpen posted:

Votefinder and the first line of the OP have a discrepancy about the number of players and the number required to lynch.

Amended.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

apostateCourier posted:

Lumpen, if you could vig three people right now, who would they be?
#1 Rarity, based on her hedgey, hesitant post followed by doubling down to make an opportunistic bandwagon vote with glaringly insincere justification.
#2 Ernie. He "jokingly" Scumclaimed in the MasonDoc, and his vote on f_v was self-admittedly the Scummiest vote on the board.
#3 Kashuno's also got a Scummy bandwagon vote, a refusal to engage or explain, self-consciously excused his contentless posting while insisting he was "serious".

Also, Acebuckeye13, Chamale, and Colonel Corazon have been completely absent and said nothing. Scum may be among the lurkers but the Town among them have done nothing to help distinguish themselves, so a vig down there would be random.

Newbies! Please be less shy! You must have opinions and reactions to some posts you've seen, share your thoughts, they will be very welcome.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Rarity posted:

It's not about pushing for lynches or anything like that. My read on you is based on your assertive tone and extensive flaunting of your mafia experience. This is a newbie heavy game and I think you're trying to get the newbies to fall in line with your way of thinking so you can take the role of town leader. Yes, content game is good and useful but it's early days so relying on it now to drive content looks like a crutch because you want to push the game in the direction you want instead of letting it develop naturally. I also don't like you praising my mafia ability, I never trust flattery.

As for Kash, there's no need to get on his back over that vote cause I doubt it's a serious one. Mine however, is.

##vote Lumpen

Good day!

Really? This is some serious low hanging fruit.

Also, when would you use content game, except very early on? It's a major distraction from actual content any time after D1.

##vote Rarity

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Also, when would you use content game, except very early on? It's a major distraction from actual content any time after D1.

##vote Rarity

Content game is best used in anaemic games where you're on D2 or D3 and still nobody's really doing anything and/or loads of people are lurking. That's the point where content game is a really good tool to get people posting or to focus people's reads.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Lumpen posted:

Newbies! Please be less shy! You must have opinions and reactions to some posts you've seen, share your thoughts, they will be very welcome.

What is vig?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

LowellDND posted:

What is vig?

"vig" is "kill." Removes them from the game, and we see what they were. The day continues.

##unvote

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Lumpen (5): HiipFire, Opopanax, LowellDND, apostateCourier, Kashuno, Rarity, apostateCourier
fiery_valkyrie (1): Ernie.
Rarity (1): fiery_valkyrie
TMMadman (1): Captain Foo, Captain Foo, Captain Foo
Kashuno (1): TMMadman
HiipFire (0): Kashuno, Kashuno
imgay (0): apostateCourier, apostateCourier
LowellDND (0): Lumpen, Lumpen
Opopanax (0): Rarity, Rarity

Not Voting (7): Acebuckeye13, apostateCourier, Chamale, Colonel Corazon, imgay, Lumpen, Someone Awful!

With 16 alive, it's 9 votes to lynch. The current deadline is September 15th, 2015 at 1 p.m. PDT -- that's in about 1 day, 22 hours.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Rarity posted:

Content game is best used in anaemic games where you're on D2 or D3 and still nobody's really doing anything and/or loads of people are lurking. That's the point where content game is a really good tool to get people posting or to focus people's reads.
How many players in this game have posted more than the mod? How many have posted less? I was bored yesterday, and want Mafia action. I want to encourage posting and get the newbies involved.

Your justification for your vote rings super fake and disingenuous, it is an excuse to bandwagon. HiipFire and Opop's votes on me are not particularly Scummy, and the newb's thirdvote was funny, but the later ones on the pile reek, especially your and Kashuno's.

I do not believe that you believe your own posts, and yet you keep affirming that you're being serious, so I conclude you're probably Scum.
##vote Rarity

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

LowellDND posted:

What is vig?
It's short for the role of Vigilante. As a role, it is a Town role that can ##kill <player> as a Daytime action, with usually a single shot per game, which may or may not end the Day.
There are also Night-killing Town Vigilantes possible, and sometimes an event or item in the setup will confer a ##kill ability to a player of unknown align!ent, which is usually referred to as a Vig for short.

A good question. Also, asking makes you look more Town, a Scum might have just asked in the ScumDoc.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lumpen posted:

How many players in this game have posted more than the mod? How many have posted less? I was bored yesterday, and want Mafia action. I want to encourage posting and get the newbies involved.

Your justification for your vote rings super fake and disingenuous, it is an excuse to bandwagon. HiipFire and Opop's votes on me are not particularly Scummy, and the newb's thirdvote was funny, but the later ones on the pile reek, especially your and Kashuno's.

I do not believe that you believe your own posts, and yet you keep affirming that you're being serious, so I conclude you're probably Scum.
##vote Rarity

To be fair I didn't realise you were already on 5 votes, but once I did I didn't feel bad about it :v:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Lumpen has been pretty nervous for a guy who got a bunch of votes during joke phase. That's all I got for now

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Rarity posted:

To be fair I didn't realise you were already on 5 votes, but once I did I didn't feel bad about it :v:
I don't believe this excuse either, "to be fair". Your vote is just bad.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Kashuno posted:

Lumpen has been pretty nervous for a guy who got a bunch of votes during joke phase. That's all I got for now
Is that, now, your "case" for your "serious" but self-consciously contentless vote? If that's "all you've got for now", then what did you have before, when you made your "serious" vote? You still have avoided explaining despite being asked.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My case is based solely on you seem weird so far this game and have since early on. This "content game" crap is useless whitenoise posting and really adds no discerning or meaningful content to the game. You then garnered a bunch of votes during jokephase and came out very defensive, which is a terrible sign early in d1. I'm not going to go build a big multi-quote thesis case on you because it's d1 and I just don't feel like putting that effort into what boils down to ~gut~

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Kashuno posted:

I know you dont want to do a multi-quote case or anything, but could you point out even one post from Lumpen that you think shows that he is nervous?

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Kashuno posted:

My case is based solely on you seem weird so far this game and have since early on. This "content game" crap is useless whitenoise posting and really adds no discerning or meaningful content to the game. You then garnered a bunch of votes during jokephase and came out very defensive, which is a terrible sign early in d1. I'm not going to go build a big multi-quote thesis case on you because it's d1 and I just don't feel like putting that effort into what boils down to ~gut~
Weird is not Scummy, Kashuno. The Content Game is purposeful and meaningful, even if you don't "get" it. Engaged is different from defensive. Is there any indication of jokephase votes bothering me? I think I've been clear that it's the later supposedly "serious" opportunistic bandwagon votes that have been worth investigating.

I can imagine a scenario in which you're just misguided. Bad as your post was, it is also a much more plausible post than Rarity's last several.
Kashuno, I'm curious, do you agree with Rarity 100% here, or do you find any flaw in anything she's said?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Rarity posted:

Disagree.

What do you think of my comment that you're going for the low hanging fruit? Do you agree? Disagree?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Acebuckeye, Chamale, Colonel Corazon, LowellDND and Someone Awful,

what is your previous mafia experience? If you have played mafia before was it online or in real life?

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
Kashuno, you just played a game in which I actually was Scum, and won. Did I, at any point in that game, seem "weird" or "nervous" or "defensive"? Do you think, on a meta level, that those would even be Scumtells for me?

HiipFire (and I assume Opop) are at least is saying "Lumpen sux, I don't like him, whatever", which (while dumb) makes a lot more sense than the stuff you and Rarity are trying to pass off as ~real, serious reads~ in the context of the game you both just finished.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

fiery_valkyrie posted:

what is your previous mafia experience? If you have played mafia before was it online or in real life?

Never played.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Kashuno posted:

I dunno, I don't read Lumpen as nervous so much as really really assertive. The way he seems to be trying to control the dialog from the outset has me feeling uncertain. Yes, he's generating content, which is good, but is it helpful content? I haven't really learned anything from content game, personally. It seems like an easy route towards looking like a helpful townie while not actually accomplishing much.

I can't help wondering if I'm getting Townie vibes off of Rarity because I agree with them, though, which is something I'm trying to keep on my guard about.

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I've been lurking games on SA for ages, but I've only ever played on EpicMafia, which... wasn't exactly a helpful experience. Like, apparently lynching in D1 is considered scummy there. :psyduck:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lumpen posted:

Kashuno, you just played a game in which I actually was Scum, and won. Did I, at any point in that game, seem "weird" or "nervous" or "defensive"? Do you think, on a meta level, that those would even be Scumtells for me?

This is a good point ##unvote

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Someone Awful! posted:

I dunno, I don't read Lumpen as nervous so much as really really assertive. The way he seems to be trying to control the dialog from the outset has me feeling uncertain. Yes, he's generating content, which is good, but is it helpful content? I haven't really learned anything from content game, personally. It seems like an easy route towards looking like a helpful townie while not actually accomplishing much.
It's good to see you posting your thoughts!

Really assertive I am. But it would be a bad strategy for a Scum. Scum do best by finding a way to go with the flow and capitalize on Townie-initiated mistakes.

I am sorry if it seems like I am trying to control the dialog, that may be an unintended consequence of the fact that I'm posting the most and am the most engaged in the game right now. Am I pushing dialog in any direction other than relentlessly finding Scum? Content Game is more helpful sometimes than others. It's helpful when a confronted contestant gives an awkward answer or reaction that reveals they're Scum. It can be minorly helpful later in the game in seeing connections and implications between the player and the answer. Any time a player (especially a Scum) is compelled to name other players, it is helpful content. I am not making any claim that running a Content Game should give me Townie Cred. If it leads to me lynching a Scum, that is what demonstrates I'm Town, and that's what it's for. The more posting, the better, is universally true in Mafia. Scum unintentionally betray themselves and their buddies only by posting, and so it is Town's duty to get everyone posting and go hard on lurkers.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Lumpen posted:

Really assertive I am. But it would be a bad strategy for a Scum. Scum do best by finding a way to go with the flow and capitalize on Townie-initiated mistakes.

WIFOM

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Lumpen posted:

I am sorry if it seems like I am trying to control the dialog, that may be an unintended consequence of the fact that I'm posting the most and am the most engaged in the game right now. Am I pushing dialog in any direction other than relentlessly finding Scum? Content Game is more helpful sometimes than others. It's helpful when a confronted contestant gives an awkward answer or reaction that reveals they're Scum. It can be minorly helpful later in the game in seeing connections and implications between the player and the answer. Any time a player (especially a Scum) is compelled to name other players, it is helpful content. I am not making any claim that running a Content Game should give me Townie Cred. If it leads to me lynching a Scum, that is what demonstrates I'm Town, and that's what it's for. The more posting, the better, is universally true in Mafia. Scum unintentionally betray themselves and their buddies only by posting, and so it is Town's duty to get everyone posting and go hard on lurkers.

I guess I just don't get how asking questions like who people would vig is pushing towards finding scum, rather than just being an irrelevant hypothetical. I guess there could be more depth to it if you've got meta on people/have played with them before?

There are a lot of ways to play Scum, and a statement like "all Scum will always do X" seems disingenuous. If laying low and pouncing on townies makes you read scummy, wouldn't it be a better tactic to not do the expected thing? (preview edit: What f_v said, basically) I'm not saying you're being loud to try and make yourself look Town, but that specific point you're trying to make is kind of setting my teeth on edge.

That said, I'm definitely anti-lurker and not trying to lurk myself. Joke phase is just bizarrely intimidating to me. :gonk:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Lumpen posted:

Look how slick he's fooled you!

##vote Lumpen

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Several real life games, no online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
Yes, to a degree. But still, the most active players in any game tend to flip Town, that is just true, unless someone shitposts their way to the top of the postcount.

It isn't impossible to be a Scum who leads everyone around by the nose, but there are factors inherent in the game that make it really hard to do successfully and very risky to try.

That isn't saying I couldn't pull it off myself or would never try, but in this game I am effortful Town (and claimed and vouched Unconfirmed Mason) and would be a terrible choice for a D1 mislynch unless one prefers a lurkier low-energy game going forward.

• Locked thread