Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

TheDemon posted:

what N9 opens is a huge slew of midgame and lategame

Agree on this point; N9's late game potential does a lot to recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Decrepus posted:

Hitlerretardbetrayed

hahaha

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Neruz posted:

N9 is a better bless if you are bad at positioning, but if you know how to position so as to always get first strike on indies F9 or B9 will give you better results.

If you're good at positioning you never need a bless against indeps at all. You just need a guy with a sling or bow and a guy with a spear.

So to me it comes down to, will I need F9 or B9 against players as part of a grand strategy, or will I need N9 against players as part of grand strategy. And N9 is generally speaking, applicable to a greater diversity of tactics in all phases of the game.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Decrepus posted:

Hitlerretardbetrayed

good meme 10/10 axolotl world conquest is close rip basaltheart who later missed the horses right next to him

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Turn 16:

IRC Quote of the Turn: (7:53:21 PM) foolofsound: baudin you arent allowed to blizt until you update the lap

This one's for you fool.

Oh the joys of simultaneous invasions - not only did we invade Worldvein Caverns, but so did Pax. I’m surprised - I didn’t realize that he had troops in place ready to invade.

It does not go well. drat. Worst part? We both break at the same time, but the Pax troops retreat more slowly.
I’ve been concerned about Pax for a while, but I think this means war.

However in the good news category I’ve managed to finish a castle!

This is very useful - I’ll now be able to have another recruitment centre to hire more troops (including those levites I just lost tons of, since they’re recruit anywhere).

Also very excitingly I’ve finally randomed a e3 mage in my home city!

I’ll be using him to cast legions of steel for now, with another mage around to buff strength.

I start recruiting in both of my castles - clearly I need to replace those lost sacreds.

Capital:

Second Castle:

Not a lot yet, hopefully I can get something started soon.

I send out my combined army north, to deal with an expansionist Pax

Here’s hoping they don’t all end up as mush.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Time to talk about China- I mean T'ien Ch'i!

Tien Chi is fairly disconnected from the other nations and can basically be described as Not-China. In EA Tien Chi is subtitled 'Spring and Autumn' and the entirety of EA Tien Chi is a reference to the Spring and Autumn period of Chinese History, which dates to around 771 - 476 BC. EA Tien Chi also draws heavily on earlier Chinese myth and legend and there are probably a ton of references that I am missing because I don't really know Chinese myth and legend all that well. EA TC has a few units of note; the first of these are the Masters of the Five Elements: mages with a base of 1 in all 4 elemental paths plus nature with a random +1 to one of those paths and 1 level in priest as well. These guys are a reference to the Wu Xing; effectively the Chinese version of the Elements (Earth, Water, Air, Fire). The Wu Xing is also known as the Five Elements or Five Movements and is made up of Fire, Earth, Metal, Water and Wood, in Dominions Metal gets replaced by Air because to western sensibilities 'metal' falls under the purview of 'earth' so having them be separate elements seems odd. The next guys are the Warriors of the Five Elements, also known as the Warriors of the Five Chainsaws. While exceptionally fragile, especially in Autumn as their HP fluctuates with the seasons and is lowest in the Autumn, and very vulnerable to arrows the Warriors of the Five Elements are often considered to be one of the stronger sacred units. It used to be popular to take a dual F9W9 bless on these guys as they have innately high defense and 2 attacks; F9W9 Wot5E's with good positioning will butcher their way through pretty much anything short of Burning Ones, Jags or Ponymans and they'll put a pretty solid dent in Jags and Ponymans. I'm not precisely sure what the Wot5E's are referencing, if anything, though I assume its some kind of Chinese warrior-sage.

The next guy of note is the Celestial Master, a dude with fire, air, water and astral paths as well as the occasional death, earth and nature path. These guys are a reference to the Way of the Celestial Masters, a Chinese Daoist movement founded in 142 CE. That's about all I know, there are also lesser Masters of the Way who I assume are a sort of general reference to wandering ascetic monks, Masters of the Way need not eat as they can survive on a diet of a few grains of rice per day and are noted for either wandering about gathering bits of lore or hiding in caves to meditate. There are also Masters of the Dead, which is a reference to Chinese ancestor worship, another subject where my knowledge extends little beyond "Yes that exists."

TC is also notable for having a good variety of basic infantry in all ages; in EA they also rock chariot-riding Nobles which can be very useful for expansion if used correctly.

Next, TC has a bunch of summons, some of which are only available to it in certain eras: In EA and MA they can summon Huli Jing commanders; stealthy n3 spies with either 0 or 4 extra bonus paths in air, water, earth, astral and nature. Huli Jings are a kind of fox spirit and as far as I can tell they're basically analogous to the Kitsune of Japanese myth, being multiple-tailed silvery foxes that can take the shape of a beautiful woman while playing tricks on people. They're rather expensive, but potentially worth it given the paths they can roll.

Next up are a pair of demons only available to EA TC; the Demon of Heavenly Rivers and the Demon of Heavenly Fires. River demons are basically sacred amphibious ogres with berserker and if for some reason you happen to have an N9 bless these guys can lay down some serious hurt and tank like motherfuckers, that said at 4 water gems apiece I think they're probably a little overpriced, especially as the bless that best suits them isn't very compatible with Wot5E's. Fire demons are flying dudes with fire power and a fairly decent ranged attack, they're a bit more fragile than River demons but they're a little cheaper and in my opinion more useful. I'm not precisely sure what these two Demons are referencing, but I'd assume they are both references to some specific kind of mythological Chinese being.

In passing; EA and LA TC can summon Ancestral Spirits, more of that ancestor worship stuff.

Also there are the summons that all eras of TC can get, sadly they're not very impressive. First up is the Celestial Servant; a big fat pig-man wearing a fez. (He's not actually wearing a fez but his sprite kind of looks like it does). For some reason this guy is wearing poofy Aladdin pants and a jacket about five sizes too small, he uses a rake as a weapon, eats a ton of food despite not needing to and is totally unarmored. His only redeeming feature is that he is really fat, but there are way better uses for 3 earth gems than summoning one of these guys. Celestial Servants are noted to be gardeners and servitors of the Celestial Sphere, I'm fairly sure that this is a reference to the Tai Di or Primordial Divinity; also known to westerners as the Celestial Bureaucracy. The next guy; the Celestial Soldier is from the same source and is a horse-headed guy with a glaive. Actually not bad units when paired with foot soldiers, but at 3 air gems each they too seem a little over-costed. Finally we have the Celestial Hound which most people will recognize as being those weird lion-faced dog statues that tend to show up outside Chinese temples, these guys are the only one of the 3 Celestial TC summons that I think is actually ever worth getting, not for combat because they're not very good at that but for patrolling as they are flying and have a +10 patrol bonus. Of course no era of TC has blood magic so they don't really need patrolling, but it's the thought that counts :v:

In MA TC progresses to the Imperial Bureaucracy and it is here that TC reaches pinnacle Not-Chinaness. MA TC is ruled by the (Jade) Emperor who lives in a big palace called the Celestial City and tended constantly by Imperial Alchemists who use their magic power and knowledge to keep the Emperor alive for as long as possible. The Emperor himself has dozens of concubines and hundreds of sons, thus all the ministers are perpetually terrified of the thought of the Emperor dying because 'Civil War' doesn't even begin to describe what would happen next. MA TC has the same Celestial Masters and Masters of the Five Elements as EA, though the Mot5E's have transformed into Imperial Alchemists, picking up an extra level of nature magic, a 50% alchemy bonus and the Disease Healer ability. MA TC also has access to a pair of spells that EA and LA do not; the first is the Thousand Year Ginseng; a simple little N1 spell that for 8 nature gems causes the caster to grow 5 years younger. This is a pretty loving useful spell and it of course references the popular alchemical uses of Ginseng in Chinese medicine. The other spell they picked up is the Living Mercury spell that is otherwise only available to EA and MA Agartha. This is a loving amazing spell holy poo poo Living Mercuries are excellent, though they don't fit quite as well into MA TC's army as they do into Agartha's they are still amazing summons.

All of this is of course referencing Chinese Alchemy, with MA TC itself referencing one of the Chinese dynasties. I'm not entirely sure which one, I think it might sort of be a conglomerate of all the various dynasties up until the Mongol invasion but I don't know enough to be able to pin down any of the specifics. MA TC picks up a ton of lesser mages including Ministers of Magic, Imperial Geomancers, Apothecaries and Alchemists of the Five Elements. They also get a bevy of other things like Imperial Consorts; wives of the emperor who act as spies, Ceremonial Masters who serve as basic priests and can sometimes prevent bad events by performing ceremonies according to a ritual calendar (I'm pretty sure the ritual calendar is another specific reference that I'm missing, it sounds familiar) and their upgraded version the Ministers of Rituals who are better priests and are able to actually create good events rather than simply avoid bad ones thanks to their rituals with the 'cultic calendar.' Finally they also pick up the Eunuch, a really strange unit that has an amazing patrol bonus of +15 and also a unique stat called Defence Organizer that allows it to add +1 free PD every turn it sits in a province up to a maximum of 19 PD. This ability is completely loving useless, but really neat in concept.

The sacreds of MA TC are the Red Guard; elite cavalry forces trained in the Celestial City that are all related by blood to the Emperor. They have the same fluctuating HP based on seasons that the Wot5E's had and they are actually pretty powerful sacreds capable of laying some serious smackdown with a W9 bless, though the HP thing weakens them considerably during Autumn. I'm not entirely sure what these guys are referencing; I'm fairly certain it's not Chairman Mao's Red Guard but beyond that I have no idea. MA TC has the widest range of infantry and is also one of the few nations in MA with access to crossbows, though their crossbows are very slow and cost far too many resources to be reasonably usable. Still it's the thought that counts!

LA Tien Chi is subtitled 'Barbarian Kings' and it is the Mongols (their advanced general unit is even called a Khan.) That's basically all you need to know about them; the Celestial Masters are still around, as are the Masters of the Way, but the Imperial Alchemists and the host of strange little extra units are all gone and replaced by the Ancestor Smiths, Ancestor Guides and Spirit Masters of the Barbarian Kings. LA TC is notable for having excellent cavalry that can be recruited with or without a fort in any province as well as a very interesting sacred in the form of Ancestor Vessels; men who have let themselves become possessed by the spirits of long-dead warriors. They are notable for wielding Howling Bows; composite bows that have an extra fear rider on their attacks, making massed Ancestor Vessels extremely good at routing enemy troops. They're also one of the few sacreds I would ever consider taking an Air bless on, as they benefit greatly from the extra precision and range on their bows. Ancestor Vessels are also solid heavy cavalry and are more than capable of loving up dudes in melee once they run out of arrows. The Ceremonial Masters are still around too, though because the Mongols burned the Celestial City no new ritual calendars are made so they can't prevent bad events anymore.

Finally, TC's heroes. TC has the same heroes in all ages; the Immortals. These guys are a straight reference to the Taoist Xian and specifically the Baxian or Eight Immortals. The three heroes are Ho Hsien-Ku, a lady who lived on a diet of mother of pearl and moonbeams until she turned ethereal and became immortal and now floats from mountaintop to mountaintop collecting magical herbs for healing. Next is Lu Tung-Pin, who became immortal when he was given a sip of wine by a mysterious old man. He then got high as balls, fell asleep and had some weird hallucinatory dreams. Upon waking he sequestered himself somewhere as a hermit until he had perfected the arts of swordmanship and internal alchemy and he dual wields a demon-slaying sword that was given to him by a Dragon and a fly whisk that he uses to irritate people. The final hero is Li T'ieh-Kuai, the Master With The Iron Crutch. He used to explore the Celestial Spheres by astral travel, one day he traveled further than normal and when he came back whoops his body had been found by some townspeople who thought he was dead and they had cremated it. Thus he was forced to instead enter the body of a freshly dead crippled old man and he now spends his time wandering about cursing and pestering people because he is crotchety, he also causes leprosy to just spontaneously appear in those nearby, causing the population of the province he is in to die over time. All 3 of these guys are explicit references to 3 of the 8 Immortals and when I say explicit I mean they have exactly the same names and unlike most heroes of other nations these guys are basically just copy-pasted from the mythology with no real changes or modifications.

And that's Tien Chi! Next time: Japa- I mean Jomon, and Racism! :barf:

I probably missed a few bits here and there, sadly TC doesn't really tie into the Dominions world at large and I just don't know enough about the specifics of Chinese mythology and history to be able to pin down exact references so if anyone has anything to add by all means do so.

e: Hey Baudin, you have Con2 and a bunch of Earth gems so that E3 guy should be making a couple of hammers for your quill forgers before he moves out.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 7, 2015

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

If anyone is wondering Neruz smokes a lot of pot.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Decrepus posted:

If anyone is wondering Neruz smokes a lot of pot.

While true I'm only doing this because someone asked for it :v:

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Neruz posted:

While true I'm only doing this because someone asked for it :v:

please dont victim blame

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

willus posted:

please dont victim blame

Oh, I fully accept the blame. I'm enjoying the posts and like reading D3/4 LPs, but I found the game demo too obtuse and grognardy to enjoy.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
The Celestial Servant is a pigman because he's a reference to Zhu Bajie, the pig demon that becomes Sun Wukong's ally in Journey to the West. Westerners may know him as Pigsy.

The Qin Emperor was well known to be obsessed with immortality and had lots of court alchemists working on making life-extending elixirs.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Neruz posted:

And that's Tien Chi! Next time: Japa- I mean Jomon, and Racism! :barf:

Thanks for these posts, I really enjoy them. Looking forward to the next one, since Jomon is one of my favorite nations.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Tarezax posted:

The Celestial Servant is a pigman because he's a reference to Zhu Bajie, the pig demon that becomes Sun Wukong's ally in Journey to the West. Westerners may know him as Pigsy.

The Qin Emperor was well known to be obsessed with immortality and had lots of court alchemists working on making life-extending elixirs.

Pigsy being total loving trash in Dominions may be Illwinter's greatest crime

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Libluini posted:

Another weird interaction is summoning for commanders: You can only ever summon one commander per spell. The command for telling Dominions 4 how many monsters you want per spell just flat out won't work if you tell the spell to summon a monster as a commander.

Hi I decided to read this thread after a while so I know this was a few pages ago but I wanted to comment on this briefly.

The mod tools are really wonky but can do a lot of things, and you can certainly make a single spell make multiple commanders... though not technically. How I would do it is this: if you want it to create a bunch of different commanders, I would make dummy spells summoning additional commanders, one at a time, but make sure those spells are uncastable and have them "attached" to each other via #nextspell. Attach the first in the chain to the actual spell you want mages to cast. #nextspell actually seems to be how the spells that summon a commander + a lot of normal units work, like say Olm Conclave, and explains the purpose of dummy uncastable spells you can find in mod inspector like "10 Great Olms".

If you wanted to summon a larger number of the same commander, you could do it the above way, or you could get tricksy and have it create an autonomous event and make sure the ritual has a range of 0, and use something like #2com or #4com to give the owner of the province that many commanders via an event. The problem with getting tricksy like this is that if you cast it from a besieged fort I'm pretty sure the besieging army would actually be the one that gets the commanders.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Tarezax posted:

As we all know, nothing aids your lifespan and sanity like regular mercury consumption!

Eunuchs acting as a net positive to province order merits a screen full of Yuan Shao anger gifs.

namad
Nov 7, 2013
Hey I'd sign up to join the local militia if the alternative was..... *that*.

Also really great LP so far! Easier for me to follow than some of the others I've read. I'm a bit sad to see though it looks like you're in real hot water! Good luck.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
I guess the logic is that the Eunuch is really good for patrolling cuz they won't be distracted by women or something so obviously they have no life except for that of soldiering or something :shrug:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ousire posted:

I guess the logic is that the Eunuch is really good for patrolling cuz they won't be distracted by women or something so obviously they have no life except for that of soldiering or something :shrug:

No, the logic is that eunuchs had an important role in the Chinese bureaucracy, and this particular eunuch organizes province defense.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Sadly the actual province defence part is totally pointless; if it could take PD over 19 or if it added more than 1 point per turn it might be worthwhile and of Tien Chi had native blood access and thus needed patrolling they would be pretty great but as is they're mostly a waste of time.

It can be worthwhile to build a bunch and put them on patrol in key locations if you are dealing with ponymans or anyone else with stealthy troops, especially if you give them a couple of celestial hounds to help out, but they're pretty niche units. MA Tien Chi is a very flexible nation with a lot of different useful tools available to them, they're not particularly amazing at any one thing but they also don't have any really significant weaknesses beyond lack of blood magic.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Neruz posted:

Finally we have the Celestial Hound which most people will recognize as being those weird lion-faced dog statues that tend to show up outside Chinese temples, these guys are the only one of the 3 Celestial TC summons that I think is actually ever worth getting, not for combat because they're not very good at that but for patrolling as they are flying and have a +10 patrol bonus. Of course no era of TC has blood magic so they don't really need patrolling, but it's the thought that counts :v:

This is disgusting and shameful. Celestial Hounds with a w9 bless (like you should have for your wot5es) will gently caress poo poo up. I've had great success with CH + CM raiding parties.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

ChickenWing posted:

This is disgusting and shameful. Celestial Hounds with a w9 bless (like you should have for your wot5es) will gently caress poo poo up. I've had great success with CH + CM raiding parties.

Fire bless works almost as good on Wot5E, and it turns your Ancestor Spirits (which you can summon tons of for free every battle) into murder machines.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

TheDemon posted:

There are more focused choices for most sacreds. But my view is that "good enough" is all you need for expansion, and once you're past that then what an offensive bless opens is rush options while what N9 opens is a huge slew of midgame and lategame power plays with mages, raiders, and globals.

I mean, it depends on the nation, certainly. But there are more nations that can make use of N9 than there are that can use F9 effectively, even if the power nations right now are F9 nations.

N9, while still fine, has lost a LOT of value in the most recent patch in that you have to give up the very real bonus of an awake pretender to get it which is way way more vital even than when everyone went dragons. Even with access to the Treegod you're going to miss out on a ton of provinces by taking an N9 bless and it's not certain you'll ever make it up as a result of the bless which is worse against players than it has ever been in the early game.

I'd go so far as to say N9 is rarely the correct choice any more because it neither helps you expand much nor gives you a particularly crucial bonus over your opponents that cannot be achieved through spells, and you will get far more mileage out of a F9 or B9 which at least lets you threaten to kill a god you bump.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Neruz posted:

LA Tien Chi is subtitled 'Barbarian Kings' and it is the Mongols (their advanced general unit is even called a Khan.) That's basically all you need to know about them; the Celestial Masters are still around, as are the Masters of the Way, but the Imperial Alchemists and the host of strange little extra units are all gone and replaced by the Ancestor Smiths, Ancestor Guides and Spirit Masters of the Barbarian Kings. LA TC is notable for having excellent cavalry that can be recruited with or without a fort in any province as well as a very interesting sacred in the form of Ancestor Vessels; men who have let themselves become possessed by the spirits of long-dead warriors. They are notable for wielding Howling Bows; composite bows that have an extra fear rider on their attacks, making massed Ancestor Vessels extremely good at routing enemy troops. They're also one of the few sacreds I would ever consider taking an Air bless on, as they benefit greatly from the extra precision and range on their bows. Ancestor Vessels are also solid heavy cavalry and are more than capable of loving up dudes in melee once they run out of arrows. The Ceremonial Masters are still around too, though because the Mongols burned the Celestial City no new ritual calendars are made so they can't prevent bad events anymore.

This is in reference to a bit of Chinese history I was ignorant about : China was conquered by the Mongols as a part of Genghis Khan's expansion (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongol_invasion_of_China). It took about 60 years and involved several different smaller wars, and in the process the Mongols smashed up the bureaucracy and trappings of the Jin empire (the China of MA Dominions). It's a pretty interesting story, and Guy Gavriel Kay wrote a pretty good fictionalized book about it. I think that lacking any connection to Rome, Illwinter just took Chinese history and stuck it whole-cloth into the back story of Dominions without worrying about tying it into the "main" storyline of Ermor.

namad
Nov 7, 2013
The value of an awake pretender is in many ways linked not only to the selected nation but also the average provinces per player. As well as if the starting positions are handcrafted or random. With handcrafted positions you can rely on a certain amount of adjacent connections. I remember in one crazy shrapnel game of dominions we played 23 players on an 108+17 province map (edit: I googled it and it was half gold 9 strength indies). Everyone went awake pretenders. I was caelum. I invaded man with a dragon. I lost to their lich. I played really badly.

Other than that one zany game though goons tend to play more players on smaller maps than non-goons. So if you really want n9 to gain in power go beat up on some desura kids?

namad fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 9, 2015

Tarandis
Jun 16, 2012
I just watched turn 35 live in person. Twas glorious.

Also got to see Baudin's other active games and can confirm he is terrible in all of them.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Decrepus fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 11, 2015

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Sorry about being bad at posting: I'm just awful overall clearly!

Turn 17:
This is a pretty quiet turn:

More magic sites - I’ll need these gems I’m sure.

And my useless water giant hero is now just a useless hero, after being randomly shrunken in a lab. This is what he has for stats now:

Crap.

I’ve decided to go big on the Hoburgs. I love these tiny guys, they deserve a place in my giant jew nation, so I think I’ll start producing them en mass.

My second attempt at the cave will feature a bit larger of an army than last time:

We’ll see what happens - hopefully I don’t lose my army, since this is currently most of it!

A larger map view:

Again I jam N a bunch and its time to End That Turn!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I absolutely hate it when random bullshit like that happens to my heroes, it's awful.

namad
Nov 7, 2013
Did the hero lose his magic? or just his combat stats? He might still be useful for rituals? or is he feebleminded too? I've never seen/heard of that event.

BurlapNapkin
Feb 11, 2013
He just shrunk himself, so he's not as large and has less hitpoints. Size is used for things like the length of weapon in melee required to hit your head and torso, trampling and the like (stuff mages should hopefully not have to deal with). The HP is important, if Baudin wants him to survive damaging rituals and battlemagic.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah, the loss in size is actually a buff under most circumstances, but the loss of HP that went along with it really hurts, especially on that guy since he normally has a ton of HP for a mage.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Turn 18:
Research Complete. Finally.

And someone else has captured a throne.

And I easily won the battle against Pax:

Against a single unit, so not exactly valiant combat at arms. After some intense negotiations I turn my army back south to move on a different nation.

As well someone has taken the Throne of Life, which also has this nice little side effect:

And my troops begin to starve due to a lack of resources in the caves.

I completely forgot to account for that - I believe troops can generally last a turn before negative afflictions begin to afflict them if they use up more supplies than are present in the province they’re in.

I currently have four mages searching for sites, including the Kohen Gadol.

I’m also creating that Dwarven Hammer that I’ve been talking about so much. I hope it comes in handy, since I need to conserve my gem income (I probably don’t, but at this point I’m feeling like I really should.)

In my second castle I’m starting to diversify, since I’m constantly running low on gold.

With that I turn back, and look at the various spells I can research. For a very very long time.

I eventually decide to grab two levels in Conjuration - I suspect it’s the only path that all of my mages can actually make use of.

End Turn!

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Turn 19:

Not a lot happened, I’m still moving around troops this turn, plus my site searching was apparently pointless.

Luckily the unexpected event is just free gems

Air gems, the best kind!

One of the thrones on my border just got fortified. It also has a LOT of undead. I’m going to have to counter this somehow eventually.

Sorry for the pretty short update. Not a lot happening :v:

End Turn!

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I'm actually surprised at how many skeletons Burlap was able to pump out just on the back of Hurin Priests. I don't know how much that cost him in terms of research either, though.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Bizarrely Kohen Gadol are almost useful in the situation of 'guy poo poo out a bunch of skeletons'. I mean they're still too expensive for what they do but you'll at least get some level of value out of them because they can dispel undead in battle much more efficiently than they can be raised.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Feinne posted:

Bizarrely Kohen Gadol are almost useful in the situation of 'guy poo poo out a bunch of skeletons'. I mean they're still too expensive for what they do but you'll at least get some level of value out of them because they can dispel undead in battle much more efficiently than they can be raised.

Alas I am not a smart man.

BurlapNapkin
Feb 11, 2013
In defense of your master smiths plan: the Kohen Gadol are slow to recruit and cap only. They do banish skeletons way better than one necromancer summons them. Six necromancers though, not so much, and they don't advance any of your actual plans for the future like Master Smiths.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

BurlapNapkin posted:

In defense of your master smiths plan: the Kohen Gadol are slow to recruit and cap only. They do banish skeletons way better than one necromancer summons them. Six necromancers though, not so much, and they don't advance any of your actual plans for the future like Master Smiths.

Oh yeah for sure that, really he just needs a bunch of priests in general. Like I think he has an H2 and that's also pretty okay for Banishment.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

If you are fighting skeletons just templing indie priests and spamming them is optimal so you can still make mages in forts. You are too small and poor to do this though :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah but a lot of people don't seem to realize that the optimal response to skeletons and skelespammers is to just make indie H1 priests out of unforted provinces at them until they go away or the player using them is forced to actually pay attention.

• Locked thread