Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Possibly a silly question, but once you get into gigabit speeds is it a bad idea to download things to your mechanical HDD instead of a temporary folder on an SSD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shumagorath posted:

Possibly a silly question, but once you get into gigabit speeds is it a bad idea to download things to your mechanical HDD instead of a temporary folder on an SSD?

Depends on how big your SSD is. However many hard drives can keep up with gigabit internet speeds as long as it's one continuous write.

1 gigabit = 125 megabytes a second after all, and many platter drives these days can handle that as long as its a sustained write without needing to deal with fragmentation.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 29, 2015

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I would imagine that if you have enough RAM your computer would be able to cache and write to the mechanical drive at its leisure.

That's how it works in my head anyway :v:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I've got 16GB so no issues there. What I'm worried about is the WD Green drive I use for main data. I've got a Red that's backup-only right now but I could stick my incoming downloads there and move them back if I needed to. The SSD is only 480GB with ~180GB free so that's not ideal.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 1, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

Even at 200mbps I found that my hard drive speed would suffer if I was attempting to do something taxing with other files / the CPU.

Upgrading to an SSD fixed those problems and allowed me to download at full speed.

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010

Panty Saluter posted:

I would imagine that if you have enough RAM your computer would be able to cache and write to the mechanical drive at its leisure.

That's how it works in my head anyway :v:

I think uTorrent does something similar - I had some pretty big problems with 500GB+ torrents on a machine with 16GB of RAM and writing to a fairly quick 3TB disk. uTorrent would cache the 16GB of RAM to full capacity until the computer came to a complete crawl. The hard drive would then write everything out over a period of a few minutes and the cycle would repeat. Also took something like 10 minutes for the application to allocate space on the disk. Might have to do with some settings in uTorrent - but I hear a lot of people having issues with huge files.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
You can force uTorrent and other torrent clients to never use more than a certain amount of RAM for disk caching, if you frequently experience it eating all your ram.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

My internet has been making GBS threads itself for the last few days. Everything will be running fine and then everything disconnects for anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes. What's weird is that my router lights and task bar icons indicate everything is fine. Comcast is sending a technician out Wednesday, but in the meantime, what are some good diagnostic tools I can use to see what the issue is?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

SirPhoebos posted:

My internet has been making GBS threads itself for the last few days. Everything will be running fine and then everything disconnects for anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes. What's weird is that my router lights and task bar icons indicate everything is fine. Comcast is sending a technician out Wednesday, but in the meantime, what are some good diagnostic tools I can use to see what the issue is?

Open two command prompts an ping your router IP and google.com with the -t flag, that will run them indefinitely. You will likely see the google.com ping time out, but the router IP ping will be fine.

I've found that is usually enough to get TWC and Verizon to admit the problem might be on their end. I assume it's enough for Comcast, too.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Inspector_666 posted:

Open two command prompts an ping your router IP and google.com with the -t flag, that will run them indefinitely. You will likely see the google.com ping time out, but the router IP ping will be fine.

I've found that is usually enough to get TWC and Verizon to admit the problem might be on their end. I assume it's enough for Comcast, too.

Would you mind walking me through how to do this?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

SirPhoebos posted:

Would you mind walking me through how to do this?

I assume you're on Windows.

1) Hit Win-R to bring up the Run window
2) Type in "cmd" (without quotes) and hit enter
3) In the command prompt window, type "ping google.com -t" (again, without quotes) and hit enter. You should see something like this:

4) Repeat steps 1-3, except instead of "google.com", you type in your router's IP address.

Then just let them run while you do whatever, the -t flag will keep the pings going until you manually stop them. When you run into the internet issue, check the windows. The one pinging google.com will probably say "Connection timed out" instead of "Reply from..." while the router one will be fine.

The takeaway from this is that the problem is on the ISP side of the router (or that your router is busted but that's less likely I would say.)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It also rules out poo poo like "have you changed your wi-fi channel?" and "OK now let's go ahead and clear your browser cache". It clearly shows the issue is not on the side of the router that is your problem.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thanks Ants posted:

It also rules out poo poo like "have you changed your wi-fi channel?" and "OK now let's go ahead and clear your browser cache". It clearly shows the issue is not on the side of the router that is your problem.

Yeah, being able to categorically state the results of that ping check is by far the fastest way to get somebody to actually look at the line instead of reading a script at you.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Okay, thanks a ton.

EDIT: where do I look up my IP address? :sweatdrop:

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 1, 2015

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

SirPhoebos posted:

Okay, thanks a ton.

EDIT: where do I look up my IP address? :sweatdrop:

Open the command prompt like described above, but then type ipconfig and look for the line that says 'Default Gateway'. That'll be the IP of your router.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Geemer posted:

Open the command prompt like described above, but then type ipconfig and look for the line that says 'Default Gateway'. That'll be the IP of your router.

I see a command window pop up when I enter ipconfig, but it closes right away

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

SirPhoebos posted:

I see a command window pop up when I enter ipconfig, but it closes right away

Start -> run -> cmd (type it)

It'll bring up a prompt to type it in

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Bear in mind that all this shows is nothing is coming into the WAN port on the router. While that can very easily be a problem on the incoming cable line, it could also indicate a faulty ethernet cable or port (modem and/or router). To be completely fair I've had routers lock up internet access before if they are failing or the firmware is lovely.

Do any of the lights on your modem go out/change color/start flashing when this happens?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Panty Saluter posted:

Bear in mind that all this shows is nothing is coming into the WAN port on the router. While that can very easily be a problem on the incoming cable line, it could also indicate a faulty ethernet cable or port (modem and/or router). To be completely fair I've had routers lock up internet access before if they are failing or the firmware is lovely.

Do any of the lights on your modem go out/change color/start flashing when this happens?

No, the modem shows that everything is running normally. And my internet goes from working absolutely fine to zero connection.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I had that happen when I was on Time Warner. Turned out the connection to the pole was bad because the last tech screwed up the connect.

Took forever for them to get a guy out, but once they did, he was able to connect a diagnostic tool to the run and see the signal numbers for himself. A quick climb up the pole, and he had my internet sorted out.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Has anyone had issues with their Netgear R7000 maxing out at ~500Mbps when doing PPPoE? I know its WAN-to-LAN is rated in the high 900's but after many hours of swearing into my patch panel today I confirmed it's turning my 940/100 connection into 500/120.

I wouldn't have much of an issue turning it into a $300 wireless AP and letting the Bell Homehub do the routing, but all-in-one devices with remote management capabilities that can see my LAN freak me out. If a flaw was ever found it's one hop to all my 24/7 connected devices for someone who wants to go war dialing.

Does anything in the consumer space do gigabit PPPoE?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

Does anything in the consumer space do gigabit PPPoE?

The only one I know of is the EdgeRouter Lite. It has hardware acceleration that does line-rate PPPoE forwarding for both IPv4 and IPv6. Wired only, so you'll still need your R7000 for wireless, or sell it and get something else.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Thanks - that same router just got mentioned in the Canadian thread so it looks like my wiring closet is about to get even weirder.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

This isn't exactly gigabit speeds, but Charter recently upgraded me, at no extra cost, to 130/4. They've been really good about upgrading my internet speeds. Several years ago I was paying ~$50/month for 30/3, then they upgraded me to 60/3, then 100/4, then 130/4...all without increasing my cost other than the like $1/month they add once a year.

I've also been very happy with speed consistency...it never dips below advertised speeds. Also pretty reliable. Maybe 1 short outage a year.

Here in the US, I expect my cable ISP to be poo poo, but Charter has actually been very good and it's so confusing!

I really wish they'd bump up this anemic upload, though.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

This isn't exactly gigabit speeds, but Charter recently upgraded me, at no extra cost, to 130/4. They've been really good about upgrading my internet speeds. Several years ago I was paying ~$50/month for 30/3, then they upgraded me to 60/3, then 100/4, then 130/4...all without increasing my cost other than the like $1/month they add once a year.

I've also been very happy with speed consistency...it never dips below advertised speeds. Also pretty reliable. Maybe 1 short outage a year.

Here in the US, I expect my cable ISP to be poo poo, but Charter has actually been very good and it's so confusing!

I'm simiarly happy with RCN.

I get 110/15 which actually ends up at about 150/20 speeds when used in reality. Never dips, no issues. I had some high signal issues, but got that sorted with a tech visit and attenuator. Otherwise RCN has been stellar.

It's really not hard to excel when the company to beat is Comcast around here; and well, gently caress Comcast.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Thermopyle posted:

Here in the US, I expect my cable ISP to be poo poo,

Not that the ISPs are blameless but a lot of the complaints come from a vocal minority. Bear in mind that a lot of them don't know how the hell it works either, and will complain their internet is slow when three people are trying to watch videos simultaneously on a 2/1 SUPER BUDGET XXTREEM internet connection because they refuse to pay more than the absolute minimum. :smithicide:

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Thermopyle posted:

Man I'm jealous. You're getting the opposite of what I've had the last few years. My ISP, Shaw (western Canada) keeps increasing prices at least once per year - TWICE so far this year. And not tiny insignificant increases, like $10/month increases. Meanwhile last time they changed their packages they LOWERED the speed at every tier. Meanwhile here in Winnipeg there is only one competing ISP and they are anywhere from slightly better to much worse, depends which neighbourhood you live in as to what they can offer you and whether it will actually work well. Bla bla bla whining and moaning ISPs suck.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Walked posted:

I get 110/15 which actually ends up at about 150/20 speeds when used in reality. Never dips, no issues. I had some high signal issues, but got that sorted with a tech visit and attenuator. Otherwise RCN has been stellar.

It's really not hard to excel when the company to beat is Comcast around here; and well, gently caress Comcast.

RCN is making me a very happy customer. Granted I live on Manhattan so high internet speeds are pretty standard, but I haven't had a single hiccup with these guys and they're CHEAP. $90 a month for internet and my business landline.

coming from 24/5 (which was really 18/3ish) AT&T in backwater SC I am over the moon.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Yay moving into the gigabit world.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Panty Saluter posted:

Not that the ISPs are blameless but a lot of the complaints come from a vocal minority. Bear in mind that a lot of them don't know how the hell it works either, and will complain their internet is slow when three people are trying to watch videos simultaneously on a 2/1 SUPER BUDGET XXTREEM internet connection because they refuse to pay more than the absolute minimum. :smithicide:

And at the other extreme, you have people who desperately want a gigabit down even though it's only useful if you have five simultaneous 4k Netflix streams going on.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

computer parts posted:

And at the other extreme, you have people who desperately want a gigabit down even though it's only useful if you have five simultaneous 4k Netflix streams going on.

A 4k Netflix stream is ~25Mbps. Gigabit is mostly useful for applications we haven't thought of yet, but require a decent population of people already able to utilize them to be viable.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
Welp I just had to drop my 200 Cable down to 8mb ADSL due to moving, stupid old apartments not being wired up for cable :(

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Hi I just want to say gently caress you to all you goons with speeds better than 10 mbs and reliable connections. gently caress you AT&T :(

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Walked posted:

I have been really unhappy with RCN but I'm stuck with them.

For their higher speeds, they require their lovely looking 3 in 1 modem/router/AP. Based upon the poo poo I dealt with before I got rid of the last modem they provided me, I'd rather bring my own - some recent Surfboard version supports the necessary channels.

Anyone had to deal with that?

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Yay, my local fiber ISP started offering 1000Mbps/500Mbps, so I took the plunge.

Download is a little "low". I think I am maxing out my router....

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sounds like you need to upgrade to a real router.

http://routerboard.com/RB2011UiAS-IN

Alternatively,

http://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/edgemax/EdgeRouter_DS.pdf

KillHour fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 10, 2015

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Well it looks like I'm not maxing out my router.. Depending on the time of day the max speed varies from 820 to 950+.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Woo, my area just upgraded to gigabit* internet. Such speed, much fast, wow. My machine spends more time waiting for the real time scanner to virus scan the download than to actually download the file.

*Gigabit cable, 960 down/50 up, it's google fiber, but the upgrade was free.

Kakesu
Nov 4, 2005

ETHICAL.

Will the 2011 actually do gigabit WAN-LAN in real-world consumer scenarios (i.e. NAT)? My 450G caps at around 300-350 Mbit with the CPU pegged at 100%, and the 2011 has a slower processor than that does.

I've been considering a 9-core Cloud Core for my gigabit fiber connection (or at least an 1100). I've also been looking at the EdgeRouter line, but we use MikroTik at work so I'm already familiar with the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kakesu posted:

Will the 2011 actually do gigabit WAN-LAN in real-world consumer scenarios (i.e. NAT)? My 450G caps at around 300-350 Mbit with the CPU pegged at 100%, and the 2011 has a slower processor than that does.

I've been considering a 9-core Cloud Core for my gigabit fiber connection (or at least an 1100). I've also been looking at the EdgeRouter line, but we use MikroTik at work so I'm already familiar with the system.

It says it can in the performance test results at the bottom as long as you're using large packet sizes. No idea how it holds up in real life; I have a stupidly overpowered Watchguard XTM 5 series at home.

• Locked thread