Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

Lemony posted:

I'm going to be in Quebec City this weekend. Anyone have any good suggestions for places to eat?

drat, caught that late. Where did you eat? :)

Quebec City has many restaurants and it depends on budget and what kind of food do you want :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Neopie posted:

Hey, I live near Birmingham, Albama these days, even if I'd rather not be in the state, I still need suggestions for good food! Just got here relatively recently, so I don't know what's good yet. Any suggestions? Seafood, Cajun/Southern food, BBQ and Chinese, especially.

Doobies

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
What's the best place for lunch in Tallahassee near i-10? Within 10 minutes of a ramp, or near that awesome goon candy guy's shop. Making a detour on the way to New Orleans in a few weeks.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

What's the best place for lunch in Tallahassee near i-10? Within 10 minutes of a ramp, or near that awesome goon candy guy's shop. Making a detour on the way to New Orleans in a few weeks.

There is a really awesome hot dog place called Voodoo Dog, but it's probably a little over 10 minutes from I-10.

Show Me A Chicken
May 6, 2007
I'll show you a geek.
It's a long shot, but can anyone recommend a Spanish restaurant in the Southeastern Michigan area--or, hell, even Toledo or Windsor? I can get just about any Mediterranean or Asian food I want within an hour's drive from my house in a Detroit suburb, but I've never tried Spanish food and the only places I can find on Yelp are fancy little tapas bars.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

rockcity posted:

There is a really awesome hot dog place called Voodoo Dog, but it's probably a little over 10 minutes from I-10.

I dunno, do they have really good smoked sausage dogs? And is there beer? It's a long lunch pit stop, I loving hate driving. I'll happily travel for awesome food.

New Orleans doesn't seem to have it's own thread either. I'll want suggestions for there too. I like chill places, don't mind some skeevineess (so long as poo poo's not downright dangerous), really would like to eat somewhere awesome on or near the water if there's any of those left. Also want to get some Hot Chicken. And some good real cajun. Anything good, I eat everything. Any recommended joints that aren't super crowded or over touristy? Chill bar recommendations too, I have no desire to walk Bourbon Street with a novelty size Hurricane in a light-up glass.

Speaking of chill bars, if you're looking for one in Downtown Jacksonville, try The Volstead. It's a prohibition swing bar. Great cocktails, but also a good rotating whiskey selection. There are cocktail waitresses and very comfortable leather chairs.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 14, 2015

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

I dunno, do they have really good smoked sausage dogs? And is there beer? It's a long lunch pit stop, I loving hate driving. I'll happily travel for awesome food.

New Orleans doesn't seem to have it's own thread either. I'll want suggestions for there too. I like chill places, don't mind some skeevineess (so long as poo poo's not downright dangerous), really would like to eat somewhere awesome on or near the water if there's any of those left. Also want to get some Hot Chicken. And some good real cajun. Anything good, I eat everything. Any recommended joints that aren't super crowded or over touristy? Chill bar recommendations too, I have no desire to walk Bourbon Street with a novelty size Hurricane in a light-up glass.

Speaking of chill bars, if you're looking for one in Downtown Jacksonville, try The Volstead. It's a prohibition swing bar. Great cocktails, but also a good rotating whiskey selection. There are cocktail waitresses and very comfortable leather chairs.

They have a bacon dog. A BACON DOG. As for beer, I actually can't recall if they do or not. I've only eaten there for lunch on work trips so I haven't been looking beer unfortunately.

I'll have to check out The Volstead. I'm up in Jacksonville a fair bit for work. There's also another prohibition style speakeasy place over in San Marco called the Grape and Grain Exchange. It's mostly a liquor store, but there is a small bar up front and a hidden speakeasy with a sliding bookcase entry in the rear of the store.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I want absolute top end fare in Berlin. Currently looking at Lorenz Adlon, any thoughts?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

rockcity posted:

There's also another prohibition style speakeasy place over in San Marco called the Grape and Grain Exchange. It's mostly a liquor store, but there is a small bar up front and a hidden speakeasy with a sliding bookcase entry in the rear of the store.

That sounds awesome, I'll have to check that out.

If you're ever on the northside by Pecan Park on Friday night, Saturday all day, or past noon to whenever he feels like being there, go to Tiki Island Taphouse. They got live rescued alligators that they'll let you fees for a fee bucks, and the cheapest Bold City Dukes in Jax. It's all outside, it's so north florida it hurts.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

baquerd posted:

I want absolute top end fare in Berlin. Currently looking at Lorenz Adlon, any thoughts?

fischers fritz or reinstoff could also be good. Newly two starts has Facil

RexRockets
Aug 27, 2014

cyberia posted:

Any recommendations for good places to eat in Honolulu?

There's a place in China Town called Lucky Belly, the food is phenomenal and the cocktails there are great.
Same chef runs another restaurant, which I believe is called the livestock house, I haven't tried it yet but I've heard
good recommendations.

Chinatown also has a pretty good Moroccan restaurant, I don't recall the name, but it's a nice change of pace from a lot of the food on the island.

Pho Tri, Near UH Moana has some of the best pho I've had in years.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
Anyone want to give some suggestions for Miami? My wife and I will be there for a couple weekdays mid-October. Suggestions for seafood of all stripes and/or Cuban/Caribbean food of all stripes preferred but we'll eat anything.

Amergin fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 5, 2015

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

baquerd posted:

I just booked a table at Reinstoff as we're going to be in Berlin for our 10th anniversary next month. If you can wait until then I'll report back.

Amergin posted:

Anyone want to give some suggestions for Miami? My wife and I will be there for a couple weekdays mid-October. Suggestions for seafood of all stripes and/or Cuban/Caribbean food of all stripes preferred but we'll eat anything.

Cleo in South Beach was pretty good.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 5, 2015

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Amergin posted:

Versailles is a legendary, iconic Cuban restaurant in Miami. It's open super-late, and you can see a fascinating cross-section of people from around the world and all walks of life if you go there on a Friday or Saturday night, the later the better. Be prepared to wait in line, but it's so worth it. The food is fantastic, the portions are huge, and the menu has hundreds of great options.
http://www.versaillesrestaurant.com/

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Versailles is a legendary, iconic Cuban restaurant in Miami. It's open super-late, and you can see a fascinating cross-section of people from around the world and all walks of life if you go there on a Friday or Saturday night, the later the better. Be prepared to wait in line, but it's so worth it. The food is fantastic, the portions are huge, and the menu has hundreds of great options.

Versailles is definitely good. I also like Havana Harry's. Their portions are also enormous as well.

If you're interested in other types of food/drink there are some cool places in the Wynwood area including Coyo Taco, Panther Coffee, and Wynwood Brewing. The area is sort of interesting. It's kind of an even mix of run down industrial/commercial land, awesome new restaurants and some of the best graffiti art murals I've ever seen.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

drgitlin posted:

Cleo in South Beach was pretty good.

rockcity posted:

Versailles is definitely good. I also like Havana Harry's. Their portions are also enormous as well.

If you're interested in other types of food/drink there are some cool places in the Wynwood area including Coyo Taco, Panther Coffee, and Wynwood Brewing. The area is sort of interesting. It's kind of an even mix of run down industrial/commercial land, awesome new restaurants and some of the best graffiti art murals I've ever seen.

Thanks for the suggestions all! Ended up having a wonderful weekend out there and hit up Versailles, Tap Tap, Clive's Cafe, Tinta y Cafe, Panther Coffee and a few others that escape me right now. All of the food was absolutely delicious and I was able to convince my wife that Miami does in fact have good food (she's had bad experiences there before). Plus the Wynwood area and Wynwood walls/doors specifically were very, very cool to see!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Awesome. I grew up in the Miami 'burbs, and my family rarely ventured out to "cooler" parts of the city to eat at recommended restaurants. I finally visited Versailles earlier this year, while taking my wife down for a short visit. I hope to drag my parents and brother there for the first time when I head down next, maybe in December. I've been looking forward to a return trip ever since.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Gonna be in philly this saturday. What's good eatins for lunch or early dinner around there? $ to $$.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

What are you looking for? The past few years had seen Philly explode food/drinks wise.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Kind of a lovely answer, but I'm the least picky person ever. Any cuisine!

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

A few options then. Lighter side I've been absolutely in love with Dizengoff in Rittenhouse. It's hummus and pita, rotating varieties daily. Strangeloves in Washington Square for gastropub experience, definitely plan on drinks or beer to make it really worth stopping in. Memphis Taproom out on the edge of fishtown/Kensington for a great beer list and bar food. High Street on Market for outrageously good sandwiches, highlights being the breads that they bake themselves and the pickled goods they pickle themselves.

My personal absolute favorite lunch spot is Stock in fishtown/Girard. Vietnamese, amazing phò, bahn mi, salads and cold noodles.

Good Spoon in Fishtown for other soups.

Reanimator for coffee if you love coffee, La Columbe Torrefaction if you like interior design and microdistillieries.

Terakawa for Ramen or other Japanese restaurant staples. Some of the best ramen I've found outside of NYC.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

M42 posted:

Gonna be in philly this saturday. What's good eatins for lunch or early dinner around there? $ to $$.

This is a bit of a copout, but if you're not picky then hit up Reading Terminal Market on Filbert between 11th and 12th. Huge, crazy food court-style place that offers amazing food in just about any cuisine you can think of. Late lunch/early dinner would also mean a smaller crowd, as it can get pretty packed in there.

If you go to High Street write a trip report, my wife and I live a few blocks from there but have been too broke to eat out that often until recently, and need suggestions on where to go. If you have time for brunch on Sunday then Farmicia is right over there (on 3rd just south of Market) and has an amazing brunch menu, no idea what lunch/dinner is like over there though.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I don't live there, but I've visited Philly twice, and the Reading Terminal Market became one of my favorite places in the world for a vast variety of amazing, cheap food. The Italian pulled pork sandwich with sharp provolone and bitter broccoli rabe from DiNic's is a world-class sandwich, and so is the Italian hoagie from Salumeria. There are also many Amish food vendors with fresh, homemade everything, from sausages and beef jerky to breakfast food to barbecue ribs to doughnuts and baked goods to root beer and cream soda.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I'm at the terminal and it's loving amazing!! Thanks a ton for the suggestion guys! I'm gonna eat flippin everything!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

M42 posted:

I'm at the terminal and it's loving amazing!! Thanks a ton for the suggestion guys! I'm gonna eat flippin everything!

Give us a trip report when you're done!

When I was there in July for a conference, one of the corporate sponsors rented out the Reading Terminal Market for a big party one night, and about a quarter of the vendors stayed open late with unlimited free food for all. It was as amazing as you think.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I just moved to Minneapolis and and slowly working through the primo restaurants with my wife but I am always looking for more recommendations, anywhere from hole-in-the-wall to $100/person.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Any Singaporeans here that have a list of their favorite hawker centers/stalls? Going to be there for a few days at the end of November and while just exploring sounds fun, an inside opinion would be fantastic.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Suspect Bucket posted:

New Orleans is probably my favorite city on the planet that I would never want to live in. Last minute 3 day weekend trips out there are a common occurrence for me, and it definitely earns its reputation as one of the best food cities in the world.

Coops's Place on Decatur in the quarter was both the best meal that I have ever had in New Orleans, as well as a fantastic bar. It's a total hole in the wall dive bar, that does traditional cajun. Everything that we had was loving incredible. Both times we went, it was not crowded at all. I'm pretty sure that people are intentionally keeping its scores low on Yelp to prevent tourist yuppies from flooding the place. I deeply regret that I didn't find out about it until my last trip.

If it's your first trip, bite the bullet and go to Cafe du Monde. The line will be ridiculously long, but is MOVES. Coffee is pretty good, and the beignets are solid. Worth the experience. If it's not your first trip, Cafe Beignet on Royal is better. When we went there, the food was all around better, and there was really great trio posted up right outside the patio on the street next to the police station.

Parkway Bakery on Bayou St. John is going to be busy, and feels a little touristy, but it the best poboy I've had in New Orleans, and worth the wait. The shrimp and the roast beef are standouts. This is a must-go place every time I visit.

Central Grocery on Decatur is another busy staple, that supposedly invented the mufaletta, but goddamn it is good.

Mother's Restaurant on Poydras is a very common recommendation, but I would highly suggest that you not waste your time and stomach space there. Gave it three chances, and every time I have been there, everything has been super bland.

Edit: The river is ugly, littered and often smells not great. Lose the romanticism about it now and you won't be disappointed.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Careful, Central grocery closes early and is closed on Mondays. I missed out on that because of weird opening times.

There is a smallish place in a side street of Bourbon called The old Coffe Pot, it was nice and quiet even though we were there during spring break time (didn't know that beforehand).
Edit: http://www.theoldcoffeepot.com/

Also yes, you absolutely do want to queue for Coffee and Beignets at Cafe due Monde. There was a 30 Minute queue at 10 on a weekday but I was totally worth it.

Depending on where you are there are fantastic Vietnamese places in New Orleans as well. And seafood of course.

Edit 2: Here's a link to a thread I made where I got my tips on Nolan food places, it's from April: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3696765&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Hopper fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 8, 2015

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Come back to life thread!

I'm heading down to San Antonio for about 5 days. Anyone have any suggestions for places to grab food (for all meals)? We eat everything.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Doh004 posted:

Come back to life thread!

I'm heading down to San Antonio for about 5 days. Anyone have any suggestions for places to grab food (for all meals)? We eat everything.

I had the best Mexican meal of my life at Mi Tierra in San Antonio (the Monterey Special, which was slow-baked, fall-off-the-bone tender young goat). Best tortillas ever, amazing bakery too. It's kind of a touristy place, but so worth it.
http://www.mitierracafe.com/menus_breakfast.html

I also fit in a good meal at Cured:
https://curedatpearl.com

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
On that note, any recommendations for Dallas? I might be there for three days in mid-April, but it's never too soon to start planning meals. I'll probably be staying near the City Center area and won't have a car. Mexican and barbecue would be my top priorities, but I'm usually up for anything good, especially if I can't get it back home in Central Florida.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

I had the best Mexican meal of my life at Mi Tierra in San Antonio (the Monterey Special, which was slow-baked, fall-off-the-bone tender young goat). Best tortillas ever, amazing bakery too. It's kind of a touristy place, but so worth it.
http://www.mitierracafe.com/menus_breakfast.html

I also fit in a good meal at Cured:
https://curedatpearl.com

Awesome, thanks! I'm always down for touristy places, as long as they're good. Cafe du Monde in New Orleans is touristy as all hell but their beignets rocked.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

On that note, any recommendations for Dallas? I might be there for three days in mid-April, but it's never too soon to start planning meals. I'll probably be staying near the City Center area and won't have a car. Mexican and barbecue would be my top priorities, but I'm usually up for anything good, especially if I can't get it back home in Central Florida.

No car makes it tough, all my recommendations would be for places a bit of a drive away, like Richardson or Euless. There's a good chain of rice bowl places that might have one near the City Center, called B-B-Bop Bowls. As far as Mexican or BBQ, I don't know anywhere within walking distance of the city center I would recommend.

Edit: It's pretty fast-foody, but if you can't get Raisin' Canes back home in Florida I'd recommend stopping there at least once. They do really, really good fried chicken strips with this incredible Mary Rose sauce for dipping. That's literally all they make, their menu is just different amounts of chicken, coleslaw, and fries. It's something you've got to try at least once.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

Show Me A Chicken posted:

It's a long shot, but can anyone recommend a Spanish restaurant in the Southeastern Michigan area--or, hell, even Toledo or Windsor? I can get just about any Mediterranean or Asian food I want within an hour's drive from my house in a Detroit suburb, but I've never tried Spanish food and the only places I can find on Yelp are fancy little tapas bars.

La Feria is the place to be, from what I hear. Cass corridor.

I know, I know, like four months too late.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Doom Rooster posted:

Edit: The river is ugly, littered and often smells not great. Lose the romanticism about it now and you won't be disappointed.

Great suggestions! But when I meant the water, I meant the Lake, sorry. Even out in the boonies a bit. I'm used to having to drive 30 minutes to get anywhere, so I'm not against traveling. Never did get out to NoLA that time, life got in the way. Hopefully soon.

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.
I'm staying near Monterey, CA for about a week. Anyone have any recommendations?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Oae Ui posted:

I'm staying near Monterey, CA for about a week. Anyone have any recommendations?

Sea Harvest is a pretty good fish shack, and easy on the budget. There's lots of fancier places, but none of them are quite as good, I don't think. And actually that's the thing about Monterey - there's a lot of really nice places with expensive menus turning out food that isn't actually very good at all because they're relying completely on the whole romance of the seashore thing with the tourists. So the best food is at the lower dollar places, generally.

Paprika is a good place for middle eastern stuff.

Huala's and Crown and Anchor are both good kitschy but good.

Lots of good taquerias that you can pretty much take your pick from.

Stay away from the pier.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Sea Harvest is a pretty good fish shack, and easy on the budget. There's lots of fancier places, but none of them are quite as good, I don't think. And actually that's the thing about Monterey - there's a lot of really nice places with expensive menus turning out food that isn't actually very good at all because they're relying completely on the whole romance of the seashore thing with the tourists. So the best food is at the lower dollar places, generally.

Paprika is a good place for middle eastern stuff.

Huala's and Crown and Anchor are both good kitschy but good.

Lots of good taquerias that you can pretty much take your pick from.

Stay away from the pier.

The Old Fisherman's Grotto is on the wharf and it's an excellent seafood restaurant, but other than that I agree. I've never eaten anywhere else on the wharf that I felt was worth the money. They don't have to work hard to put out good product due to location.

The pizza parlor kitty corner from the aquarium is shockingly bad.

Pacific Grove has a number of excellent breakfast places but I can't remember any names. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Captain Bravo posted:

No car makes it tough, all my recommendations would be for places a bit of a drive away, like Richardson or Euless. There's a good chain of rice bowl places that might have one near the City Center, called B-B-Bop Bowls. As far as Mexican or BBQ, I don't know anywhere within walking distance of the city center I would recommend.

Edit: It's pretty fast-foody, but if you can't get Raisin' Canes back home in Florida I'd recommend stopping there at least once. They do really, really good fried chicken strips with this incredible Mary Rose sauce for dipping. That's literally all they make, their menu is just different amounts of chicken, coleslaw, and fries. It's something you've got to try at least once.

I think we have that here, plus a lot of ripoff chicken finger joints like Zaxby's, Guthrie's, and Huey Magoo's.